BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

October 2017
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Oct 19: Jedi Night - 7:30 Server Time
Oct 26: Jedi Night - 7:30 Server Time

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Galactic Starfighter: Rookie's Crash-Course  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Re: Galactic Starfighter: Rookie's Crash-Course
« Reply #15 on: 01/02/17, 03:09:27 PM »
0 Show voters
Alright, I submitted a suggestion on the main swtor forum for a GSF Sandbox Instance like I suggested above.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9194723#post9194723

If you'd like to, or can, help push for it, drop a line of support in the thread. Who knows, in their desperation to get people to play old content, they may concede.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Nicohlas

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03/25/17, 10:01:05 AM »
0 Show voters
Okay, ladies ( @Iaera , @Niarra ).

I just mastered all the Imperial starfighters this week. My goal was to get a feel for the strengths, weaknesses, and role of each ship in a match. It's been a few months since I dedicated myself to being more participative in GSF and while I still feel like banging my head against a wall most matches, I'd say I'm a better pilot now than I was two months ago.

So. With all ships mastered on Nicohlas, what should I be focusing on now? What should I be spending my requisition on, and such?

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03/25/17, 01:38:26 PM »
0 Show voters
Okay, ladies ( @Iaera , @Niarra ).

I just mastered all the Imperial starfighters this week. My goal was to get a feel for the strengths, weaknesses, and role of each ship in a match. It's been a few months since I dedicated myself to being more participative in GSF and while I still feel like banging my head against a wall most matches, I'd say I'm a better pilot now than I was two months ago.

So. With all ships mastered on Nicohlas, what should I be focusing on now? What should I be spending my requisition on, and such?

It's probably telling that even though I don't fly that much these days, it's a GSF question that succeeds in pulling me out of my Andromeda coma.  :grin: I'll break my suggestions down into three categories.

Feel good and have fun suggestions:

If you've been able to identify the ship types you enjoy the most, I would start to unlock components you haven't tried yet. Some components are certainly sub-par (and I could give my opinion on those if you had any specific questions), but on most ships there are at least a couple viable choices, and often some choices that are far superior to others. (And sadly very rarely are the superior choices the default ones the game starts you with.) I've found that for many people, if not most, discovering the actual components that work best for them can drastically change both their effectiveness and their enjoyment; even if the build they settle on is "unusual" for the meta it might be very good for them. So in a way, this is as much an efficacy suggestion as it is a "have fun" suggestion.

Practical suggestions:

If you haven't already explored unlocking more crew to play with the crew skill options, I strongly recommend it. Well-assigned crew can make a truly huge difference in your efficacy, and having a variety of crew options to tailor to your variety of ships and their specific strengths/needs is a good thing. I could give plenty of opinions here if you had specific questions, but generally speaking I would strongly recommend crew that provide the Wingman or Running Interference copilot abilities, and for passive abilities anything that increases Evasion and Accuracy. There are some other abilities, both active and passive, that are good for specific ships and specific roles, but those four things mentioned are pretty much good for everything. (Unless you're playing a bomber, I advise against being lured into running Hydrospanner as your copilot ability. Or unless you rely very heavily on hit and run tactics and plan to get out of the scrum every time you take damage, which many people do. I'm more of a blaze-of-glory type myself, so I shy away from Hydrospanner in favor of a passive Evasion boost; damage you don't take is better than damage you try to repair.)

The META suggestions:

While, in a way, everything I've suggested so far could conceivably fall under meta arguments to some degree, they're still primarily about "find things that you like that will also make you better." But here I'll put forward the component choices the meta-obsessed pilots would say are the only ones you should care about. While I sometimes find hardcore meta religiosity to be pretty distastefully elitist, I do not deny there are some arguments that are just hard to dispute (nor do I really want to dispute them). So here I'll list some component choices, by ship type, that the meta would say you really should be using over any others:
  • Flashfire/Sting: Burst Laser Cannons (with armor penetration) + Evasion build. (I personally prefer Quads for fun, but BLCs are indisputably brutal and a scout with BLC is #1 at clearing turrets.) 
  • Nova Dive/Blackblot: While this is probably one of the most versatile ships in terms of many builds being viable, a Laser Cannon + Pods build is particularly effective.
  • Spearpoint/Bloodmark: Tensor Field, with Speed and Evasion in the final two tiers.
  • Starguard/Rycer: This is another versatile ship, but almost any argument will at least say that one of your two primary weapons should be Heavy Lasers. I personally strongly recommend Directional Shields too, but those will take a fair amount of practice to get used to.
  • Pike/Quell: This is probably one of the more challenging ships to be truly effective in, and it requires you be good at missiles. The killer combo here is Clusters + Protons, and one of the tricks is to get people to blow their missile break on a Cluster (sometimes holding the lock to psych them out) in order to then land a Proton hit they can't avoid.
  • Clarion/Imperium: The "meta" choice here depends on whether you are using this ship as pure support, or you're actually trying to kill things with it. If the former, you should go with Repair Probes and Charged Plating. If the latter, I personally suggest Remote Slicing and Power Dive.
  • Quarrel/Mangler: Burst Laser Cannon (with armor ignore), Slug Railgun (with accuracy), Ion Railgun (with area damage). The Ion railgun with area damage is absolutely critical in domination, to clear minefields.
  • Comet Breaker/Dustmaker: Aside from just saying "don't fly this ship, it's awful"... I would suggest Slug Railgun and Plasma Railgun over a railgun + missiles build, only because you have no way to improve your turning rate and that makes missile locks a bitch. I would take Heavy Lasers over Laser Cannons.
  • Condor/Jurgoran: Burst Laser Cannons, Cluster Missiles, and Power Dive. I would also take Turning Thrusters with that build, as BLCs and Clusters both are suited to tight turning.
  • Warcarrier/Legion: Heavy Lasers, Seeker Mines, and Repair Drone are generally best choice. Drone choice (in Systems) is usually contingent on match type, but since you can't know in advance what match type you're going to get, I would argue that both Railgun and Interdiction are decent choices.
  • Rampart/Razorwire: Heavy Lasers, Seismic Mines, Concussion Mines, Charged Plating, Hyperspace Beacon. That full build really is the most effective across the board.
  • Sledgehammer/Decimus: This is another ship with a lot of viable versatility. It's also one of those that can be hard to use effectively, but in the hands of a good pilot is surprisingly challenging to face, and a great sat defender. About the only component I could say is a "must" would be Power Dive, and I would argue against Light Lasers, but just about everything else depends on what you like and what you want to use it for.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Padawan of the Tira'Noth Enclave
Sivala, Sith Academy Overseer // Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03/25/17, 03:46:54 PM »
0 Show voters
You're more dedicated than me! I've only ever bothered to master a single NovaDive on Iaera, and a single Sting on Perditus.

Mastering everything gives you a lot of luxury to just play around. In addition to all the practical experience you've accumulated and the leveled-up modules you already have, you've also got the requisition bonus that makes playing around with the modules you don't have a lot easier. In other words... do whatever you want! Just use the things you think might be fun or interesting*, and don't worry too much about picking something "wrong." Just relax and experiment!

*Assuming Imps still get regularly stomped by Pubs, however, the equation is unfortunately not that simple. Whenever I play Imp-side I feel significantly more pressure to fly an extremely high-effectiveness build in a high-effectiveness role (usually space superiority / gunship interdiction in my Sting [yes I am a nerd and give technical descriptors to what, where, and how folks fly in a match {yes I am a giga-nerd and have used nested parentheticals gg english no re}]). Derping around in a Spearpoint/Bloodmark can be fun, but only in matches where at least half of your team can carry their weight and the enemy team doesn't have too many aces in it. Imp-side, I'm usually lucky to have even one solid or ace-level teammate, and Pubs often have several aces backed up by a mostly-solid team. In that kind of situation there's unfortunately a lot less room to relax and experiment.

addendum ~ I haven't had a ton of time for SWTOR since the holidays ended, but I'm happy to squeeze a couple hours in here or there if you ever need some backup Imp-side (or Pub-side, for that matter). Just let me know if you want to set up a time and I'll do my best to help balance out the matches a bit!
« Last Edit: 03/25/17, 03:49:45 PM by Iaera »
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat clum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Nicohlas

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06/28/17, 04:08:00 PM »
0 Show voters
This question is directed mainly at @Iaera and @Niarra . I'd like to get the GSF achievements for playing 250 matches with each type of ship. My question is: If I switch through different ship types in a single match, will the match count as one match played for each type of starfighter I flew in it?

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06/28/17, 05:04:07 PM »
0 Show voters
This question is directed mainly at @Iaera and @Niarra . I'd like to get the GSF achievements for playing 250 matches with each type of ship. My question is: If I switch through different ship types in a single match, will the match count as one match played for each type of starfighter I flew in it?

I'm 95% sure the answer is yes, it will. The 5% of doubt comes only because I can't confirmation test it before answering, since I can't track completed achievements. If you put one of those up on your tracker and then try a ship swap, you should be able to see at the end of the match. But... 95% sure the answer is yes. I know that you can get medal ticks twice in the same match if you get them on two different ships, so it should be no different with matches flown.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Padawan of the Tira'Noth Enclave
Sivala, Sith Academy Overseer // Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline Ela

• Little ball of happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06/30/17, 12:33:43 PM »
0 Show voters
There have been quite a few BC'ers as new pilots lately, and there's one tip for starting out that I'd like to add that I haven't seen yet. When you're first starting out, learning how to fly, and don't have any upgrades on your ships, you should have one goal:

Chunk 'em.

I've returned to Consonance during non-peak times, to level her up and play through the Knight story again, and of course I've been queued the whole time. And one thing I've noticed is that the *best* thing you can do to help your side is, in a nutshell, to just hit people. Don't worry about killing them, because chances are you're up against pilots whose ships are a lot stronger than yours.

So the best thing you can do, both in terms of learning flight and also helping your team, is to try and take chunks out of enemy ships, and then run away. Only to return and do the same thing to another ship :)

| Alexandra 70 Sage | Meagan 70 Sharpshooter | Medley 70 Sentinel | Sariyah 70 Shadow |

@>~~~ SONG SQUADRON ~~~<@

Offline Nicohlas

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06/30/17, 06:12:52 PM »
0 Show voters
Confirmed! I played one round starting as a bomber and switched to scout after I died and the match counted as one match played for each type of ship. That will save soooooo much time getting those achievements.