BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

June 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jun 18: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific
Jun 21: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jun 22: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST
Jun 25: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Why CAN'T PvP'ers RP?  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Desiirea

• View Profile
Re: Why CAN'T PvP'ers RP?
« Reply #15 on: 07/07/12, 03:22:13 AM »
0 Show voters
Can there be RP in warzones! Absolutely! But I like to think of my rp as 'semi RP' I guess. Some of my favorites warzones involve interactions with the opposite faction... one such instance is with an imp named Hems. Mind you this was over the course of several weeks and through a line of says here and there. Hems once happened to ask me in a warzone if I was a girl. My first reaction was to say why does it matter I'm a PVPer. He said my avatar was cute! I was like Do you want to date my avatar. He was like mayyybe. I found this so utterly amusing I thought "wow what a fun RP moment" and proceeded to tell him I could not, being a good little pub and he was an evil sith! We could never be seen together!

And behold he went with it. For weeks we went back and forth in the middle of heated battle... him screaming at his team in say things like "NOOOOO I LOVE HER!" as I was being brutally killed by several players, or me throwing little comments about 'Romeo and Juliet" and how our healing together had to be in secret. I really looked forward to these matches cause it brought quite a bit of fun into what can sometimes be very frustrating or intense play.

Point being is if you want to bring a little RP into the matches... go for it! You never know what might happen.

As for me, I'll keep feeding my team cookies as Desiirea or Descordia. <3 my cookie addicts.
Oh and P.S. In PVP... JOVIA IS MINE! MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07/07/12, 06:05:34 AM »
0 Show voters

She makes me wear the Slave Girl outfit just to prove it  :(
The Communist Domino >.>

Offline Calibis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07/07/12, 10:10:06 AM »
0 Show voters
I simply do not RP in warzones because I struggle enough just pressing buttons, even while winning. I think that some people can sympathize. I'd totally rp in warzones (well, on some characters, a journalist running around shooting people in a warzone doesn't make sense...), but as I've said, it's difficult to do that and try to win at the same time.

That goes doubly for a healer.  Throw in some lag to boot, and the RP options go right out the window unless I'm dead and at the spawn room.

I think when it comes to Warzone RP, it's less about "Playing your character" and more about how you word things when you do need to communicate.  Instead of "4 imp inc east," it becomes "I've got four Imps headed my way! East!"

They both get the point across, and yes, the latter is a little more wordy, but it keeps the RP feel a little better.

Offline Shafferism

• Nothing Special.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07/07/12, 05:04:26 PM »
0 Show voters

Pics or it didn't happen.
Currently levelling-

(Character list: Da'an, Horace, Sleth, Shaffer, Lazy-eye, Kaadus, Rhomen)

Offline Desiirea

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07/07/12, 06:43:17 PM »
0 Show voters

Pics or it didn't happen.
I have better! Video. May I humbly point out the 2:35sec mark :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7-46FSs-KE&list=PLE409E5D1BC802E07&index=0&feature=plcp

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07/07/12, 07:01:24 PM »
0 Show voters
I...uh... *shifty eyes*

Well...that 'is' a fine example of how to have fun in PvP :)
The Communist Domino >.>

Offline Wrasynth

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07/13/12, 05:36:36 AM »
0 Show voters
I treat hutt ball like gladiatorial matches for entertainment. Think of the olympics during WWII and things of that nature. A lot of the matches I treat like that and it seems to work out well for abstract representation of PvP being vaguely IC.

"Work smarter, not harder."

Offline Nightmoon

• Parts Donor
  • Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter. -Y
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07/13/12, 09:51:51 AM »
0 Show voters
I like the whole concept of this post, and I would like to ask the following of you and everyone who plays:

Why *can't* RPers and PvPers PVE?!?

I started playing SWTOR when it came out, but I donít have a level 50 character yet. I am doing all my class quests, additional quests I encounter on the planets, and major amounts of crafting. Is it because I donít play enough hours per day per week?  I canít even imagine having 2 or 5 50s already.

What I do have is all the datacrons and relics (up and including the planet I am on). I have obtained discovery skill points by exploring every corner of each planet or ship I visit. I have also obtained a number of extra bonuses for doing *all* the quests in whatever section Iím in. I have found and read the historical codexís for lore objects throughout the galaxy and have honed my skill in space battles to an art.

My initial thought was that perhaps players with ď5 level 50sĒ have seen it all and done it all? However, more often than I care to type here, as I am exploring I run into established players who have missed all kinds of PVE material  such as hidden areas, lore, named champions, or didnít even know certain things existed on a planet (Nar Shaddaa is a Mecca for hidden routes!)

Overall though, the game is what you make it, and whatever brings you entertainment and fun.

It would be nice if the 'RP' tag on a server meant that people made an Ďactive choiceí or effort when logging into that designation of server, they chose to Ďplayí the character as the character. You know, slipping into the character from the selection screen as easily as putting on a costume and acting in a show. It would be nice to run into players/characters who made that Ďactive choiceí whether they're speeding about on Tatooine or standing in line for a flashpoint. I remember the early days of MMOs when the minute you logged in, you were that character until you lleft. (I donít know why people donít RP their characters all the time in SWTOR. I canít but help but hear the vocal inflections, intonation, and snarks of my characters when typing as them.)

Currently (and sadly), I have come to realize that RP is something that players and groups prepare and plan in advance for. They seem to have designated spots at designated times before they officially 'RP.'
« Last Edit: 07/13/12, 09:56:22 AM by Darque »
The NightMoon Legacy:
Republic Characters:Trader, Reesu, Wild-card
Empire Characters: Darque, Jhet, Violensa

Offline Jovia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07/13/12, 10:40:09 AM »
0 Show voters
People don't stay IC all the time in MMO's because there are certain activities that are inherently OOC.

That said, you can find unplanned, spontaneous RP on the Republic fleet and the Republic IC channel, as well as the regular meetings on Nar Shaddaa and Voss. Not sure about Empire, I'm afraid :)

When I played on my old Neverwinter Nights server, once you left the OOC room you were IC all the time, and that was great, and a lot of fun, but unfortunately it just doesn't work the same way in MMO's, where you're subject to a much larger community with far less moderation, and repeatable tasks.

However, and this is only me, I 'never' use OOCchat in say, I stay out of OOC channels and if you say something to Jovia, he will always reply in an IC manner. That's what I prefer, but everyone is different! :)
The Communist Domino >.>

Offline Colton

• Parts Donor
  • I write. A lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07/13/12, 11:37:21 AM »
0 Show voters
People don't stay IC all the time in MMO's because there are certain activities that are inherently OOC.

That said, you can find unplanned, spontaneous RP on the Republic fleet and the Republic IC channel, as well as the regular meetings on Nar Shaddaa and Voss. Not sure about Empire, I'm afraid :)

When I played on my old Neverwinter Nights server, once you left the OOC room you were IC all the time, and that was great, and a lot of fun, but unfortunately it just doesn't work the same way in MMO's, where you're subject to a much larger community with far less moderation, and repeatable tasks.

However, and this is only me, I 'never' use OOCchat in say, I stay out of OOC channels and if you say something to Jovia, he will always reply in an IC manner. That's what I prefer, but everyone is different! :)

Pretty much this. I'm in the custom OOC channel, but I never talk OOC in /say unless it's ((in the OOC double brackets.)) So if you run up to me and ask where Location X is on a planet, I'll answer and probably add something like "Careful on the way over there, though, there's Imps all along the road."

And while I've been busy enough lately that I've had to set aside time to fit in people who want to RP with me, I try to respond to random RP whenever possible. If for some reason you try to engage me in random RP and I'm not responsive, I might be in whisper hell, or my character might just be having a bad day and not want to be social. (This happens often on Drexa.)

My problem lately is finding time to do some PvE in-between all the RP storylines I'm involved in, which is why my main still isn't lvl 50 yet!
Saura Colton - Former Republic slicer/spy
Jace Colton - Captain of the Second Star (retired)
Drexa Nahir - Akar Enclave Master (deceased)

Offline Niavaloo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07/18/12, 09:17:49 AM »
0 Show voters
The problem for me playing on my 50, PVP or PVE, is that my gear is ABSOLUTELY NOT what she would be wearing. Or -doing- for that matter. My level 50 is a sorc, but the actual character is a Mando, and therefore would be wearing beskar'gam and not running around with a red lightsaber tossing lightning around...

I would really like to be able to RP while playing, but it's just not possible. A reason for a lot of people is probably the fact that the activities an MMO has you doing may not actually be what your character -would- be doing. My WoW character was afraid of her own shadow, she would NEVER be out fighting on Hyjal, or any other place.

Offline JagdtMirage

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07/30/12, 07:43:19 AM »
0 Show voters
Why *can't* RPers and PvPers PVE?!?
*snip*
     Currently (and sadly), I have come to realize that RP is something that players and groups prepare and plan in advance for. They seem to have designated spots at designated times before they officially 'RP.'
Don't be sad. Actors know a bit about the script, even improv comedians like myself. You know your character's background, your story, the stories of some of the people you're hanging out with or you've read about off the screamsheets, the daily cryer, the witching post, or even our own Chronicle...

There is something to be said for filling in the details on the background, knowing something that's coming up is less than spontaneous isn't always a bad thing. If it's an open thing, and you find out it's going on, show up and mingle like a flash mob.

When I raid, it's IC for me as Jagd, he's a decorated veteran, he's an expert in his field, and he's a Trooper, and he's invaluable to the teams he's working with in the field. Catch me in between and there'll be lots of gunsmoke and as of late Baradium dust  wafting off his armor. In the ops, it's completely up to whatever is going on. People who do operations tend to not want to stop and RP along the way; you run into bad things happening if you stay too long (expensive buffs wear off, etc. things respawn you didn't want respawning) etc.

When I RP, it's always as the grinning, grizzled Trooper Jagd; sometimes he's got the thousand yard stare, sometimes he's the guy marching along singing a cadence. Sometimes...

He's handing off sporks (Field entrenching tool!) to people who were eating with their hands because they were starving.

PVP is meta-IC, Jagd's done the missions, knows where things are, etc. A lot can be said for calling it "A flashback where you replay the events only this time Johnny didn't die." ask any Vet.
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Offline Eirwynn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07/30/12, 12:08:01 PM »
0 Show voters
I can't be IC on Eirwynn all the time. To be honest she's exhausting, fun but exhausting. There's so many layers to that character that I simply can't be 'on' all the time.

Offline Xiaoli

• Mina @ http://www.swtor-rp.com/profile/1473257
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08/11/12, 01:06:38 PM »
0 Show voters
I think it's fine if people want to PvP and RP, the prob is people who want to be -hardcore- pvpers .. on a rp server. That's not to say that someone hardcore can't rp too, it's just to say... don't expect everyone to be hardcore on a rp server when clearly hardcore can be found on the server labeled specifically for it.

I don't need to name any names of folks who have this whacked out notion, but we all know one or two.

So have fun PvPing and RPing, you pay your 14.99 just like the rest of population (until fall that is lol).
« Last Edit: 08/11/12, 01:09:20 PM by Kirian »

Offline Gargauth

• Listen, I never existed, or else you won't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/02/12, 02:57:57 PM »
0 Show voters
Personally I love RPing in WZ and practically everywhere, as does my wife.  I'm just not overtly vocal about my RPing (at least not unless I'm playing a loud mouth).  For the most part my rping in WZ comes in the form of gloating over someone, but those are rare moments when someone throws themselves on me for the 4th or 5th time in a row expecting a different outcome.  Really though most people are struggling just to get through a WZ and don't have time to think, and much less write, anything.

As for any other time, I love to role play outside of WZs, and I have been invited and participated on occasions.  The only problem is that most times I am so busy; farming money, helping people, pvping, pveing, or RL things come up and I don't have time to just sit and role play.  Thats why I like to write stories when I have down time instead, then my wife can edit/critique them and I can be happy with that.
« Last Edit: 10/02/12, 03:02:06 PM by Gargauth »