BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

August 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Aug 16: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 16: Jedi Night: A Night at the Museum - 7:00 PM PST
Aug 23: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 23: Jedi Night: Mahara Kesh - 7:30 PM PST

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Your RP character's voice  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
Re: Your RP character's voice
« Reply #45 on: 05/05/17, 07:26:16 PM »
0 Show voters
I forgot this thread existed. Some of us were just talking about this a couple of weeks ago.

Iaera speaks with a mild, restrained and often deadpan RP (received pronunciation, not roleplay) or "BBC" accent. There are probably better examples of Iaera's particular diction, but pre-cigarette Kate Beckinsale is pretty close.

Sibyl-ko is a 'high-energy person.' The best fit for her I can think of is goofball-mode Amanda Tapping.

Perditus is tight, reserved, and controlled. Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing would be cheating, but they're the style that Perdy is modeled on. So, add them into an amalgamation with Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Bill Nighy, and so on, and that's more or less Perditus.
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat clum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05/05/17, 09:03:10 PM »
0 Show voters

Now that Iaera brought this thread back around to the light, I'm going to have to wonder about the voices that my characters speak in.

Exephos; the big man. I always picture him as having a deep, growling sort of rasp. As though he chews on every word before spitting it out, and often in short terse words. The best actor I could find that has a voice similar to it would be Ron Perlman.

Shad'ra; as an XO to Exephos, Shad'ra never really does much talking. So I always figure him to be a quiet concise speaker, pronouncing every word with caution and care with perhaps just a hint of an accent from his Mandalorian heritage. So the best person to fill that specialized role that I could find was a Star Wars classic; Temuera Morrison.

Thought of coming up with one for Gharzog but that was a ludicrous proposition for the Huttese speaking fast-talking gunslinging bounty hunter of Nal Hutta. Couldn't come up with anyone at all for him.
Exephos; a haunted war-ravaged veteran.
Shad'ra; an indecisive ex-mandalorian.
Gharzog; a happy-go-lucky gun for hire.

Offline Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05/05/17, 09:32:27 PM »
0 Show voters
Hey hey hey, don't pin that kind of unholy necromancy on me! Squiggly was responsible for this foul act.
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat clum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Online SquigglyV

• Together we stand. Divided we ambush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02/21/18, 05:16:39 PM »
0 Show voters
Necromantic acts are the best acts!

Dr. Sydney Mobius (aka Leigh-Allyn Baker) from C&C Renegade is apparently a perfect fit voice-wise and personality-wise for how I always imagined my SIS agent, Serama. They're both sexy 30-something operatives trying to destroy an evil faction through the usage of heavy weapons and sass, and they both go into combat with nothing more than a cute jacket to cover their giant blasters. :P

My trooper Lyara has a soothing but really enthusiastic sort of voice, the kind that sounds nice even when yelling threats at imperial scum across a battlefield. I feel like the best comparison is maybe Grey DeLisle's Catwoman, but a bit more drill instructor-y? Or just Courtenay Taylor.

Also, Zavy is technically supposed to sound kind of french since she grew up around twi'leks, but for some reason I can't stop imagining her with an israeli-ish accent. Alona Tal would be a decent fit if her voice was a bit higher in pitch. The IDF announcer from MidEast Crisis 2 is more or less perfect but I don't know who she is. :(

And I take back what I said in my last post (like a year ago lol) about Kiriona, because posh Courtenay Taylor sounds too high-class. Christine Roberts is a better choice, Serina's voice probably fits more for one of my fancier officers like Vasilla or whoever.

Lastly, I wish all of my characters could sound like Dread Master Brontes, but I think her voice fits Vacas quite well specifically. An adorable young sadistic murderous chiss sithspawn monster lady. And she loves cybernetics!

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02/21/18, 06:28:12 PM »
+1 Show voters
Weee, this thread! Now @Rivoso can stop laughing when Feyda talks with the Warrior voice...

Feyda: Nathan Young
Specifically how the actor speaks for that character. Warning, the video has some gross and offensive language, because Nathan, well, is a bit of a  :darkside: :darkside: :darkside: :darkside:

Hazaly: Evanna Lynch
Also known as Luna Lovegood! Same as her faceclaim, which is always handy, though voice-wise she speaks a bit lower as Evanna now does in adulthood.
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Rivoso

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02/21/18, 07:25:44 PM »
0 Show voters
Weee, this thread! Now @Rivoso can stop laughing when Feyda talks with the Warrior voice...

Feyda: Nathan Young
Specifically how the actor speaks for that character. Warning, the video has some gross and offensive language, because Nathan, well, is a bit of a  :darkside: :darkside: :darkside: :darkside:

Hazaly: Evanna Lynch
Also known as Luna Lovegood! Same as her faceclaim, which is always handy, though voice-wise she speaks a bit lower as Evanna now does in adulthood.

I will forever giggle about that
Forever caught in this deadly dance, no rest or end in sight. Carefully now as the tempo rises, can you keep up my dear?

Offline Hawking

• Deep Quote
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02/21/18, 07:43:48 PM »
0 Show voters
Aspasia is, as in the casting your characters thread, basically just Saoirse Ronan. Excitable, energetic, very emphatic and emotive in enunciation. Any word starting with E.  Looks like her, sounds like her, and I had no idea she even existed when I was making the character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf22Vq5phKo&t=358s

edit: tell me the freak-outs aren't the same (https://youtu.be/Bf22Vq5phKo?t=24s)

Hawking is measured, patient and wry. He's usually a little more dramatic or emotive than his fellow Masters, and perhaps a little more upbeat. Can't think of a reference for him currently! I think I suggested Stargate Atlantis's Joe Flanigan a few years ago? (Open to suggestions! I always heard him as vaguely Canadian!)

Boogie is your standard stiff upper-lipped British smartass. Flippant, cynical and professional. A younger James Purefoy (of Rome fame, still the best presentation of Mark Antony!) is the ticket (NSFW): https://youtu.be/bJvAHMtN04c?t=41s
« Last Edit: 02/21/18, 07:46:09 PM by Hawking »

Characters:

-Hawking Shatari, Master of Myserty
-Aspasia Maguire, Smack Talker
-Rieko "Boogie" Black, Agent of the Empire

Offline Dezzrevas

• Fear is the mind killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02/22/18, 02:41:55 AM »
0 Show voters
Dezz'revas i see his voice as Liam Neeson.

Wraith'valos I see as spike from coyboy bebop. (insodently he does the voice for andronikis revel in swtor but not the right tone for wraith)

I have to think about the rest of my 32 characters
~Dezz'revas~ Republic (The Revas Order)
~Dessel'revas~ Imperial (The Fallen of Revas)
21st Sage in ranked PVP Grouped(season 6)

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 04/25/18, 04:06:48 AM »
0 Show voters
I'm late to the party, but for Sotekh, I imagine him sounding like Yul Brynner as Pharaoh, just as the faceclaim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjOOS4zAq4

Saaret I imagine sounding more or less like the in-game voice for a female Sith Inquisitor.

Their older sister Thaavah's voice eludes me--will have to keep searching.  The female Sith Warrior voice is close, but not quite it.

Their Sith Pureblood mother I imagine sounding like Aaliyah as Akasha in Queen of the Damned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3NGrG6UEaM

Their human father, Kongar-ol, sounds in my mind like Toshiro Mifune (go about 8 mins into this video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjsazHO0c0

I like the Imperial Agent in-game voice for Thanaj, my Ratattaki agent.

Not sure about the rest of my 36 chars, except that I usually don't like the voice they have in game.  The Jedi Consular female voice is okay for my Togruta Jedi Shadow, but not my Miraluka sage, who should sound very young, and perhaps Spanish or Italian.  I don't like the smuggler voices of either gender, nor the bounty hunter voices of either gender, especially for my Chiss bounty hunters.  They should sound -- I don't know.  German or Scandinavian, I'd think, with the crisp pronunciation standing in for Cheunh. 

Kor Koloth I imagine sounding like Michael Dorn as Worf--a rich, deep voice. 

I can't stand the female Sith Warrior voice for my Jedi-turned-Sith; the female Jedi Knight voice was acceptable, but she absolutely should not have an Imperial accent.  Maybe something more like Kate Hudson in Almost Famous?  Do we know what an Echani accent sounds like?

For my Republic troopers, both the male and female voices are fairly close to what I had in mind for them, though I have an older Trooper who should sound like Michael Douglas.

For my Zabrak brothers, Khoris and Duvok Gere (Jedi Consular and Smuggler), I think of Zachary Quinto and Jack Nicholson, respectively. 

And for Chimaerys, my male Assassin--something high and reedy, like the voice of Leader Desslok in the American release of Starblazers in the '70s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4fODvDhG5k (minus the mad cackling)
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 04/25/18, 03:52:07 PM »
0 Show voters
They should sound -- I don't know.  German or Scandinavian, I'd think, with the crisp pronunciation standing in for Cheunh.

That would probably work; Lars Mikkelsen, who voiced Grand Admiral Thrawn in "Rebels", is Danish.

As for me...hmm, digging through my archives (though I admit I don't play as much as I used to - though maybe this new patch might entice me).

Darth Malagant: Bit hard to pin this one down; as Malagant is supposed to physically resemble me, it would stand to reason he'd sound like me as well. Except I'm not British, and can't do accents to save my life. If I had to choose, however - a character based on/named after me was part of a Star Trek RPG, the U.S.S. Excelsior-C, that the guy who played the captain eventually made into an audio series. He made "me" British, a guy by the name of Gareth Bowley. His vocal range is a bit higher than mine, but it works.

Admiral Bardin Krysiak (NPC, commands Malagant's fleet): Kevin Whately (Detective Sergeant/Inspector Robert Lewis in the Inspector Morse and Lewis TV series).

Moff Arik Daltyn (NPC, military governor of Reydovan Prime): Philip Jackson (Chief Inspector Japp in the Poirot TV series).

Captain Eidan Zherron: Louis Ferreira (Colonel Everett Young on Stargate Universe).

Master Alieth Taldir: Salli Saffioti (First Arcanist Thalyssra in World of Warcraft, among other things).

Ediren Lorath: Brian Bloom (Matt Horner in the StarCraft II games...and coincidentally, the male Trooper in SWTOR).
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Online SquigglyV

• Together we stand. Divided we ambush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 04/25/18, 09:44:11 PM »
0 Show voters
Inquisitor Zamara has to sound like Amara Karan, aka Sister Friede. She looks scary but she's really the kind of Sith who waits patiently for her enemies to make mistakes, fanning the fires of their paranoia through repeated feints and subtle movements. The soft voice matches her personality exactly.

Another one from DS3 is Olivia Mace, the Fire Keeper, as Darth Nefret. I've been reading all the dialogue from the inquisitor story in that voice because it's just a perfect fit.

I also finally found the right voice for Lieutenant Colonel Vasilla Alo, which has to be Claudia Black as Vala from Stargate SG-1. It's a perfect combination of authority and sass for an officer who knows that she's favoured by a Darth, and may as well be untouchable because of it.

I think the voice of Pippa from Wolfenstein: The Old Blood fits for Callaris Idara quite well. Great accent, all she needs is a slightly more authoritative tone.

Natasha Loring, aka Vaylin, is actually quite good for Phayri Vaal. I was going to say the Imperial agent voice originally, it's almost perfect but maybe a little bit too deep for someone still in her very early 20s.

Lord Saviri and her apprentice, Sadia Najat, both have suitable voices from Dawn of War. The Eldar Farseer fits for Saviri and Howling Banshees are perfect for Sadia, voice modulation included since she always wears a mask.

Lastly, Sumalee Montano (aka Shae Vizla and also that one bitchy sith who admits you into the Korriban academy in KOTOR) is a good match for Corporal Akelsa Xeros.