BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

October 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Oct 18: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Oct 25: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: [TFA Spoilers] Thoughts on The Force Awakens  (Read 15843 times)

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
Re: [TFA Spoilers] Thoughts on The Force Awakens
« Reply #15 on: 12/19/15, 02:00:13 PM »
0 Show voters
Rey's parentage is less of a concern for me at this stage. I'm more jarred by the lack of galactic presence of the "Republic" and that they allowed movie script writing to have them not keep tabs on the First Order, and instead of a daring attack similar to the return of the Sith Empire in SWTOR, they just had them build a planet-sized superweapon and the Republic was absently scratching their ass.

The fact that the Leia's forces are called the "Resistance" rather than, say, THE GOVERNMENT also felt like they were trying too hard to re-make A New Hope rather than just pay homage to it.

I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12/19/15, 02:17:23 PM »
0 Show voters
I really wanna know how they found that sabre, though. That's the one Luke lost on Bespin with his hand, which everyone seems to forget! It's the one he handled in the vision too, so he must have gotten it back somehow.... I'm really hoping JJ didn't forget he lost it and built the green one because that would just be a massive glaring mistake >.>
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Hawking

• Deep Quote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12/19/15, 03:08:18 PM »
0 Show voters
Yeah, quite right, Orell.
JJ proved with the Finn stuff that he's keen on doing some bait and switch.
That said, your comment about Jakku being too dark side for Luke got me thinking. The dude experienced a huge failure at reviving the order, and he didn't exactly look...healthy, vibrant and full of life at the end. Maybe he had a dance with the dark?
Honestly, I'm just excited to see where it goes.

@recoveringgeek
It gets elaborated on a bit in the book Aftermath.
The New Republic signed a peace treaty with the Empire once they defeated them on Jakku, and then subsequently downscaled the military by 90%.
The rebellion was left as an independent entity so that the Republic has plausible deniability to wipe out the Empire, basically by funding the Rebels as "allies" rather than regulars.
Still a bit silly, but the first order aren't meant to be the Empire, either.
They're the SS holdouts of the space Third Reich who fled to Argentina to attempt to turtle down and rebuild, I think. Starkiller base would be like said Nazi holdouts firing a V3 Missile at America or something to signify their success in said rebuilding.

Characters:

-Hawking Shatari, Master of Myserty
-Aspasia Maguire, Smack Talker
-Rieko "Boogie" Black, Agent of the Empire

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12/19/15, 04:14:33 PM »
0 Show voters
Thanks @Hawking

However, it literally, *LITERALLY* would have taken one line from Leia about the treaty to at least satisfy the why the Republic isn't more heavily involved. The audience hasn't read this book, so how do we remind them the state of the galaxy has changed, again?
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12/19/15, 05:11:13 PM »
0 Show voters
My thoughts on the movie.

It's not a great movie but it's a good movie and it's great at doing what Star Wars needs to have done to move forward.  The movie clearly separates its self from the George Lucas ones.  It also shows that it's learned from the prequels and that it's not going back to the Old Republic stuff in the foreseeable future.  They are blazing a path forward and are not holding back on it.  With the destruction of the Hosnian system and the capital of the new Republic, they are making it clear that there is no going back.

I liked that the funny parts of the movie were actually funny and brought something to the story.

Characters:

Rey: God almighty, Rey is a god send for the series.  A strong female character, I hope she can stay that way, and Jedi with lines and background.  I see her as a make or break for the new movie series.  They need to get her right and they can build heavily off her.  Now something I thought was a great nod to the EU was she reminded me in many ways of Jaina Solo.  The mechanical skill and piloting abilities screamed it at me.  I'm hoping she does not develop any love relationships in the coming movies.  I think they would hinder her.

Finn: He's a good character.  I'm not sure where to place him yet when I think of Star Wars and that's a good thing.  He has the ability to grow nicely into the world.  His backstory of how he was taken from his parents, if that's what happened, is kind of odd to me.  I'm not sure if I believe he is naturally born or a clone.  I'm going to have to see, but the characters reaction to the world and it's events make it very relate able  to a person to watch.  Something I also loved about him, he flowed like water with each actor he interacted with.  His chemistry with the others is going to be something I will grow to love I think.

Han Solo: Yeah, I had a feeling he was going to die after all the screen time he was getting.  But, if you're going to kill a beloved character off, he got a good movie death.  I did like how he became a mentor to Finn and Rey when they were with him.  It helped me to ease into the new characters as he was handing the mantles off to them.

Ben: Or Kylo Ren if you go by the new name he took.  I'm unsure of him so far.  He throws some great tantrums in the movie when things do not go his way and I expect to see Sith do that more in the movies.  When he took the helmet off, it was kind of odd to see his face.  I'm still trying to adjust to him being a bad guy cause he doesn't feel full villain to me with it off.  With the helmet on, he really comes off as a villain.  But his Force powers? WFT?  Stopping a blaster bolt in mid air...yeah...not a fan of that one and will expect everyone will be doing that in RPs soon.  Kind of get a bit of a Jacen/Zekk vibe from him.  God, I don't want to see a love story between him and Rey.

Leia: She felt like a general in the movie to me.  Not someone who's going to run out and do something crazy like Han did.  She much more the nurturing character that establishes a place or ideal for people to flock to.  Would have liked a little more screen time for her.  But I think that is something.

Poe: God, not enough Poe for me.  I want so much more Poe.  I loved Wedge in the original movies and would cheer for his short scenes.  And now getting to see Poe flying like the ace he is, it cheer out loud in the theater for that.  Good partner character for Finn.  They pair nicely.

Chewie: How can you not love to see Chewie back?  I have to wonder, if he's going to stay with Leia or Rey from now on.  I could see him staying with Rey cause Rey has the Falcon.

Falcon: That's not a character.  Bull****.  The Falcon has as much a presence on the screen as the actors do.  It's incredibly recognizable and it's the vessel of heroes.  I loved seeing her back.  And she got a lot more use in various ways than before.  I'm hoping she becomes Rey's ship.

Captain Phasma: Need to do more with her.  I think she will build up in the later movies, but you have a good actress for her and I think she can do so much more....other than being stuff in a garbage disposal.

BB-8: Something was needed to replace R2.  BB-8 has some big shoes to fill, but I think he's got it in spades.  Poe and his relationship was great.  It is obvious that Poe cares for him and this relationship is always a treat in Star Wars.

R2: Kind of a let down but they couldn't put it all in the first movie so I'm not upset.

C3-P0: See R2.

Luke: That ending scene.  No lines, just music, the wind, the looks, and the handing off the saber.  Oh god, JJ could not have done better.  So much was said with out a single line.  The hope, the need, the acknowledgement, sooo much in just a wordless scene.

Starkiller Base:  This seemed like a stupid idea to me.  Yeah, it's the big evil super weapon, not marking points off for that.  It's more the power source.  Yes, there is a lot of energy in the sun, but once it's gone...what were they going to do?  I mean, you could only get two shots out of it and yes it destroyed the capital city of the New Republic and could have destroyed the Resistance...but after that?  What?  Seems odd, unless there was multiple suns in that solar system.

Speculation:

Something rather odd to me about Anakin's lightsaber.  Having it choose Rey was rather odd to me.  Like it had a will or perhaps destiny gave it a will.  Or perhaps, she's of the Skywalker blood line.  That's my speculation and really, I have no solid proof currently on that.

Finn really a natural born human or a clone?  I'm kind of wondering this.  They said in the movie they have cloning abilities and I wonder if Finn really is a clone or not.  They seem to look down on clones and Finn was not highly regarded by the First Order when he was a part of it.  Dude worked in sanitation.
« Last Edit: 12/19/15, 05:15:10 PM by Sasmi »

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12/19/15, 05:19:06 PM »
+1 Show voters

Poe: God, not enough Poe for me.  I want so much more Poe.  I loved Wedge in the original movies and would cheer for his short scenes.  And now getting to see Poe flying like the ace he is, it cheer out loud in the theater for that.  Good partner character for Finn.  They pair nicely.

Speaking of Poe, one scene which I did think was done exceptionally well, was Poe in his X-Wing taking out all those Tie Fighters above the "heroes" .  Was incredibly smooth and JJ Abrams-esque.  I know I wasn't the only one who got goosebumps when he yelled "Woohooo!".

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12/19/15, 05:20:46 PM »
0 Show voters

Speaking of Poe, one scene which I did think was done exceptionally well, was Poe in his X-Wing taking out all those Tie Fighters above the "heroes" .  Was incredibly smooth and JJ Abrams-esque.  I know I wasn't the only one who got goosebumps when he yelled "Woohooo!".

If it's the battle I am thinking of, not only did he take out the TIE's he also took out ground troopers holding up behind cover and took out the Stromtrooper near the heroes with out putting the heroes at risk.  That is Poe.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12/19/15, 06:56:20 PM »
+1 Show voters
Thanks @Hawking

However, it literally, *LITERALLY* would have taken one line from Leia about the treaty to at least satisfy the why the Republic isn't more heavily involved. The audience hasn't read this book, so how do we remind them the state of the galaxy has changed, again?

It wouldn't even need a line from a character. It could've fit in the opening crawl:

"Hamstrung by a peace treaty with the FIRST ORDER, the REPUBLIC have covertly backed a RESISTANCE to fight against FIRST ORDER'S expanding grasp."

That's the entire point of the opening crawl: Shove out the backstory so that we can get up to speed and understand the stakes.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Hawking

• Deep Quote
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12/19/15, 08:21:06 PM »
0 Show voters
@Orell

Agreed, I think that would have been a smart move.
Also they should have clarified that Starkiller base did not destroy the Republic capital of Chandrilla.
Either they missed or hit another system, but that definitely wasn't the capital.

Characters:

-Hawking Shatari, Master of Myserty
-Aspasia Maguire, Smack Talker
-Rieko "Boogie" Black, Agent of the Empire

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12/19/15, 09:15:39 PM »
+1 Show voters
@Hawking

But Chandrilla was not the current capital during the movie, it was at one point the government capital before.  Apparently, the New Republic would rotate it's capital based off election.  During the time of the FA, it was Hosnian Prime which was the seat of government.

Which seems really odd to move the seat of your government around when elections come up.
« Last Edit: 12/19/15, 09:18:01 PM by Sasmi »

Offline Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12/19/15, 09:40:38 PM »
+2 Show voters
J.J. dropped the ball. Lucasfilm, please... LET ME FIX IT!

I'll leave my griping at that.
« Last Edit: 12/19/15, 10:13:15 PM by Nykell »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12/19/15, 09:55:15 PM »
0 Show voters
I saw it again this afternoon, and I was playing close attention. It does seem like the capital of the Galactic Republic was destroyed, and it was on Hosnian Prime, but that's mostly from context.

If I had to guess, it's a way to soft-reset the power dynamic, so that there's a major threat to the galaxy without requiring a lot of political wrangling (aka the stuff that a lot of people blamed for the Prequels falling apart).

There was too much of it in the Prequels, sure. But there needs to be SOME this time. 8 and 9 can't afford to keep ignoring the wider scope.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12/20/15, 07:04:19 AM »
0 Show voters
Speculation:

I think we will see a more fragmented galaxy now.  With systems withdrawing from a heavily damaged Republic.  This will allow the First Order to snatch some up and the New Republic trying to pull them back in.  We could also see new governments forming and establishing themselves.  To me, this destroying of the New Republic only makes the political scene richer as we now have the option for heavily shifting alliances and ambition to creep in to establish themselves.  Shoot, we could even see the Hutt Empire coming in strong too.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12/20/15, 12:32:38 PM »
0 Show voters
Amusing note: I think this is the first Star Wars film that doesn't include a body part being chopped off:

1: Maul getting bisected (borderline, but I'm counting it!)

2: Assassin on Corucsant's hand, Anakin's hand, probably some other hands too...

3: Anakin again, also Greivous' metal hands, probably some more too...

4: Thug in the cantina losing his arm.

5: Luke's hand.

6: Vader's hand.

I think Max Von Sydow didn't lose anything, he was just struck down. Kylo definitely had both hands when we last saw him.
Character List:

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12/20/15, 12:52:16 PM »
0 Show voters
I'm going for second viewing in just over two hours. I'm hoping I can soften my initial reaction, and enjoy even more the parts that are breathtaking.