BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

August 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Aug 16: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 16: Jedi Night: A Night at the Museum - 7:00 PM PST

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Galactic Calender?  (Read 978 times)

Offline Mei

• let your darker side give in
    • View Profile
Galactic Calender?
« on: 05/26/17, 10:48:27 AM »
0 Show voters
So I know the years are figured by the Treaty of Coruscant, and at current timeline we are at 23 ATC (scream at me if I am wrong). But what of months, days of week, etc? What does the actual calender look like for the galaxy as a whole?
Sometimes I get creative: Story Collection || Artwork Collection

Offline Mei

• View Profile
Re: Galactic Calender?
« Reply #1 on: 05/26/17, 11:35:05 AM »
0 Show voters
Ooh, I found this! Thoughts? :grin:

((i really need to do my researching NOT in my phone at work.... I hope I attached it right.......))

Offline Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/26/17, 11:35:14 AM »
0 Show voters
the only one i can ever remember is centaxday
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat clum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline NovaZero

• Life is the enemy, Death is our solace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/26/17, 07:41:41 PM »
0 Show voters
the only one i can ever remember is centaxday

This. Probably that that centax is iconic enough to remember.

It also makes it annoyingly hard to keep those days in mind - especially when writing diary entries.
Heads up! Most of my roleplay is done over Discord!

Hit me up there if you're keen!
Check profile for plot.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/26/17, 08:00:43 PM »
+1 Show voters
I like that one you posted, @Mei, I've seen it making rounds in the TOR fandom quite a few times. It seems to be a commonly used one. The actual Calendar year and the more 'global' (galactic?) holidays just aren't developed well in Star Wars, unfortunately. That calendar is probably the closest we are going to get. :(

Since people were asking about it, the names for the 5 Standard days of the week are: Primeday, Centaxday, Taungsday, Zhellday, and Benduday. Some of those have some pretty obvious inspirations if you want to come up with things to celebrate on every day of the week a la how our own days of the week are named after gods.

By contrast, we've got quite a few holidays that belong to specific planets, but those seem more like local festivals than galactic calendar days.

I think you could make a case for most Core planet holidays becoming 'Galactic' ones by virtue of being Core worlds and therefore founding members of the Republic, at least in the Republic. Some of those are listed here. I'd also suggest the Tapani holidays given that the canon mentions their calendar merging with the Galactic Republic one anyway, and they are at least a part of the Republic. In general it seems safe to say that the Republic calendar would include holidays from worlds within it celebrated more galactically. Not sure what a traditional Sith calendar would look like, but I have been puzzling over that myself and found this and this as descendant traditions... but also suffers from the 'local planet' problem.

I made an attempt at a galaxy-wide calendar anyway. Imp-only holidays are red. Pub-only holidays are blue:

New Year Fete Week / Winter Fete Week: First celebrated on Coruscant and in the Tapani Sector, then seemingly spread to the Galactic Basic Calendar. New year's/winter festival. Became Carnival Week in Palpatine's Empire, and even though it's the wrong time period, that could be taken as indication it was also Carnival Week in the old Sith Empire (long shot, but... we're pretty starved for holiday lore, so why not?). The Empire version involves military parades.

Republic Day: Celebrates the founding of the Republic. (And celebrated only in the Republic therefore)

High Day: We know nothing about this other than its name and galaxy-spanning nature. Given the name, I am assuming a summer festival, so I put it around the middle of the calendar year. Possibly merged with Empire Day later on in the timeline due purely to being close to each other? Wrong time period again, but could give an idea of festivities.

Festival of Life Fete Week: "Originating in the Core Worlds" and has festivities similar to Life Day. Whether or not this means Life Day falls actually in this timeframe... I have no idea. Would imply that Life Day is not actually in Coruscant's winter season. More likely though it comes from Shelova Week. TOR dialogue reminds us Life Day is banned in the Empire, but this does not apparently discourage people from celebrating it.

Equinox Day: The Hosnian Prime autumn equinox festival, included here for the 'core worlds -> galactic holidays' theme. Not knowing when on the Galactic Calendar this is, I put it between Life Fete and Stars Fete because this space felt rather empty. Celebrated with racing sunsails, which is cool. Possibly Pub only?

Dedication Day: This was the only Lost Tribe of the Sith holiday that had nothing to do with the planet Kesh's history, and so might have come from the Sith themselves. I don't know where to put it on the timeline or what it might celebrate, but something about initiations of Sith or blood sacrifice seems apt given the name. Could be the old Sith New Year? Who knows. I put it here as an alternative to Equinox Day for Imps.

Festival of Stars Fete Week: Another week-long festival celebrating space travel. I could see this kicking off or ending with the Festival of Light going by the pattern of 'Core World holidays that become galactic ones'. In the Empire this is probably 'look how many planets we've conquered' week.

Harvest Day: A Tapani holiday that comes after Expansion week, which sounded to me similar to the Festival of the Stars, plus, if I'm reading the calendar right the Festival of Stars is autumnal or at least summer leading into autumnal, hence, putting it here. Typical harvest, rest, and thanksgiving festival.

Galactic Fair: Closes off the year and kicks off Winter Fete/New Year's Fete. Became the Imperial Fair when Palpatine took over, so you could maybe make a case for it being celebrated in the Empire too even if it's the wrong time period.

And as in most calendars, there would probably also be civic holidays commemorating the anniversaries of important battles or important peoples' births and deaths dependent on what culture you are looking at. You could probably feel free to come up with as many memorial holidays as you wanted.

Also:

Halloween: APPARENTLY EXISTS IN STAR WARS? OKAY SURE. Put it somewhere in the general area of Harvest Day I guess.
« Last Edit: 05/26/17, 08:28:49 PM by Noth »
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

« Reply #5 on: 05/27/17, 02:04:09 AM »
0 Show voters
I hear it's different depending on who you ask. Apparently there's a 12 month long calendar too.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/27/17, 02:14:21 AM »
0 Show voters
I hear it's different depending on who you ask. Apparently there's a 12 month long calendar too.
The one Mei posted is still from the old canon, though. So it looks like there are just a few different ones kicking around.

I'd stick with the one that's the most dissimilar to ours, personally. Keeps it feeling like another universe.
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

« Reply #7 on: 05/27/17, 04:06:41 AM »
0 Show voters
Meh. I mean i like the 12 month one, but I could go either way.

Offline Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/27/17, 09:48:48 AM »
0 Show voters
We need more holidays!!! I think it is safe to say that all my characters would love a holiday! :grin: Thanks for that post Noth, and for the other comments from everyone. I don't want to become bound to a certain time and calendar, but it is interesting to think about it in a cultural sense.