BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

June 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jun 21: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jun 22: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST
Jun 25: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific
Jun 28: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jun 28: All-Galaxy Combat Tournament

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Dry Sands, Hot Prospects?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Glimm

• Reputed Bounty Hunter of Histories
    • View Profile
Shelter Skelter
« Reply #15 on: 02/05/18, 07:11:52 AM »
Beneath the rainy jungle canopy, Glimm and his small band of bounty hunters crouched together, trying to stay within the shimmering confines of a small energy shield. The shield, sustained mysteriously by the force trance the Jababa shaman had put Teguta into back in the cave.

"He's holding something," whispered Jeeta, watching Teguta sway on his feet, eyes closed, humming softly to himself.

"I know." Glimm in turn was watching the other shielded groups, all Jababas, get into position around the heavily defended Czerka automated mining facility.

"I think it's some kind of Rakata Force technology."

"It is," answered Glimm drawing his twin blasters and standing. "This is it people. Stay close."

At that moment a wild ululation rent the air, and the Jababas surged forward, energy spears held high, a mass of small furry bodies racing towards cold eyed droid sentries, who seemed momentarily at a loss for what preprogrammed protocol to follow.

The first Jababas were thrusting their ion spears into the first row of droids by the time they decided to fire back, but the blaster bolts bounced harmlessly off the force shields, and by the time the droids programming put them into melee combat mode, it was too late.

Ascending to the top most drilling platform, a pack of Jababas raised their spears and howled at the cloudy sky, only to be quickly cut down by a concentrated volley of blaster fire from deep within the jungle.

"That's our queue!" Shouted Glimm, his helmet sensors tracking the incoming droid patrol.

The bounty hunters let loose a full blaster volley of their own, melting the droids metal plating, then shattering the entire group to pieces as Glimms missile hit the lead speeder bike.

As the smoke cleared, silence descended on the jungle, but not for long. Wild cheers sprang up from the Jababas once again, and Glimm and his hunters moved forward.

"You all know what to do; Jeeta that drill platform needs to be sliced pronto, hook into the other platforms and shut down the security protocols. Neewa-" Glimm nodded to an Aqualish holding an assault cannon, "get up on that ridge and signal the other Jababa groups to stand by."

Neewa grunted and headed off into the jungle. Glimm found himself alone with the still swaying Teguta. Gently, he nudged his crew mate. "Hey, wakey-wakey dreamy." Teguta stopped swaying and opened his eyes. The force shield blinked out, and a small cylinder covered in ancient Rakatan writing fell from the Twilecks hand.

Glimm leaned over and picked it up. It had been a long journey to get this treasure, was the secrets of the Rakata almost within his grasp?

Offline Glimm

• View Profile
Hermits Reprieve
« Reply #16 on: 02/06/18, 02:19:13 PM »
The shaggy hermit gestured emphatically to his audience, "...and once these measures are implemented peace and tranquility shall reign through out the galaxy."

He waited a moment, as if expecting thunderous applause, but the monkey lizard he had been addressing simply turned back to its industrious examination of some dried fecal matter.

Sobbing, the hermit threw himself at the creatures feet, "don't you see? Don't you understand what monsters they are? I only keep you here for your own good! I can protect you here-" the hermit gestured to the empty wasteland that surrounded his cave. "We are safe. Yes my snookums, my little cute snooky wooky, my cutey tooty wittle-"

"Ahem."

The hermit froze, a far away look coming into his eyes. "You! I thought I told you not to bother me here! Can't you see how busy I am!"

Glimm hesitated, "well, Master Jedi-"

"No."

"But I you don't know-"

"And I don't care! Leave. Now."

"We have shumpa fruit. Monkey lizards looove shumpa fruit."

The hermit scratched thoughtfully at his shaggy beard. "Fresh shumpa fruit?"

"Oh yeah. And all you have to do is come with us on a little galactic excursion."

The ragged one time Consular shook his head. "I'm too old. Yes. Too old I am. I cannot go when I am so old." He shuffled off to his cave and began to dig through mounds of what looked like garbage. "Besides, if I left, who would take care of my treasure? Artifacts, curiosities... novelties..."

Glimm held up the Rakatan artifact the Jababas had given him as thanks for his help against the Hutt mining factories, "you'll be missing out on a trip to the planet where this came from."

The hermit stood, turning slowly, his blood shot eyes fixed with nails of diamond to the object cradled in Glimms outstretched hand. "Where did you get that?"

"It doesn't matter where I got it, it's from Gutanamie 1."

"Impossible. The hyperspace lanes collapsed to that sector over a millennia ago."

"I have a star map. We can circumnavigate the spacial anomalies and get there safety within a month."

Kann Yunis looked down and shook his head, "sorry my friend, but my duties and responsibilities here-"

Suddenly his monkey lizard leapt up grabbed the Jedis lightsaber, and ran down the hill to a land speeder, then jumped inside.

Glimm grinned triumphantly beneath his helmet.

"I know your smiling under that mask, hunter, but mark my words, we will regret going to that forsaken planet."

Offline Glimm

• View Profile
The Cold Betwixt the Worlds
« Reply #17 on: 02/14/18, 08:03:20 AM »
The three of them stood, gazing at the ancient artifacts, while the swirling vortex of hyperspace glinting through the view port bathed them in blue incandescence.

"It won't make any difference you know," the Jedi Consular Kann Yunis mused over the hum and rattle of the ships engines. "Even if you succeed and acquire this so called force technology, the galaxy will not change." He pointed to the twin blasters strapped to Glimms  hips. "I have no doubt you've killed a good many force users with those, what good did the force do them? What can it possibly do for you that the arsenal of weaponry you already carry can't?"

Glimm shrugged and glanced at Jeeta. "A good bounty hunter is always improving his gear. Any edge I give my team will keep us ahead in the business."

Kann Yunis narrowed his eyes, "no... no that's not it. You didn't spend over two decades collecting these artifacts for an edge. Tell me the truth now."

Glimm sighed and held up his hands, "if every hunter and Mando had force tech it would even the playing field. No more crazy sith and self righteous jedi lording it over every one else. Force users would be just regular people. Sort of."

Kann smiled ruefully, "there is nobility in your quest, but honestly, technology alone, without the force, will inevitably surpass the ability of force users."

"Maybe," admitted Jeeta, "but if there were weapons that could directly counter force users don't you think your masters would be interested?"

"Of course." Smiled the Jedi, "which is why I'll be taking all these artifacts with me back to Tython. You may of course keep what ever we find on this expedition."

"So gracious of you," grinned Glimm. "And you're really just going to let us have the actual tech that will allow us to create force weapons?"

"On the slim chance that such technology exists, yes. I mean, just think about it; do you really suppose that if such technology were better than say a blaster, the Rakata wouldn't have developed it themselves?"

Glimm frowned, the man had a point.

"Coming up on our destination boss!" Teguta strode into the cabin and thrust a data pad at Glimm as the starship exited hyperspace.

A green orb hovered before them, framed by the dim light of a distant star.

Offline Glimm

• View Profile
Gutanamie
« Reply #18 on: 02/21/18, 05:24:08 AM »
The one time life day droid bent over the ancient Rakatan etchings, ostensibly translating the mad scribble for his new master, but in reality listening to their always illogical conversation.

"Your droid is frozen again." Said the armor clad blaster wielding leader.

The Twileck padawan shook his head, "he's just thinking."

"Thinking? The droid is as crazy as you. We should never have rescued it from the derelict spaceship."

"You still think the crew was frozen in ice by this harmless celebration droid? That right there is crazy."

The armoured warrior turned to a shabby looking Jedi his master called master. "Well?"

"Well what?"

"You're taken my navigator, my artifacts, and after two months on this crazy planet, my sanity is fraying, where is the force tech?"

"Close."

"Masters." Broke in the droid, "I have a translation!"

The sentients stopped arguing and turned to face the droid.

"It says this facility was designed to exult the Rakata above all races through the amalgamation of science and sorcery, they wanted to make themselves immortal by transferring their minds into the bodies of force wielding robots!"

The Jedi Master stepped forward, his face flushing red, "this is an abomination! We must destroy everything at once!"

The droid was just considering how best to kill him when his master stepped in, his lekku quivering, "no! This is knowledge, good or bad it must be preserved!"

Each sentient had its hand on its weapon. If the droid could have smiled it would have. Perhaps the foolish beings would conveniently kill each other.

Offline Glimm

• View Profile
The Hall of the Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: 02/24/18, 03:55:39 PM »
"Behold the Reaver of Kal Doon, Beheader of Zunn the Mighty, and Ruler of the Ardvonon!"

"Ahh-Eee!"

"Destroyer of Rakata! Annihilator of Dern Quar!"

"Ahh-Eee!"

"Tremble before his Mercilessness, cower before his Cruelty, shiver beneath the Steel Mountain of Gutanamie!"

"Ahhhh - Hhee!"

An enormous staff thumped the durasteel floor, and the prisoners were dumped before a towering metal menace. Three meters of cortosis infused durasteel, embedded with sensors, weapons, and mysterious ancient technology, housing a large reptilian creature whose eyes glowed red through armoured slits.

"Welcome to my kingdom foolish mortals!" The creature raised a plated arm and pointed to the red droid that had betrayed the hapless interlopers. "Translate!"

The droid obeyed, uttered some primitive nonsense, causing the Dragon Kings minions to snigger.

"Silence!" He roared towering over the lesser versions of himself. Pleasingly small and, relatively, helpless.

Stomping over to the would be thieves he activated his sensory array, and enjoying the abject fear and horror wafting off these idiots. "You have trespassed! A price must be paid! A sacrifice as in days of old!" The monster paused over an armour clad warrior, and tapped his sensor. There was no reading at all from this one. Like a droid missing its fear circuit. Further readings revealed an arsenal of weaponry he himself would be proud of - if his power readings were multiplied by ten.

Smirking he moved to the next victim, and activated his midiclorian reader, and was surprised to see it exceed the devices capacity.

"Here!" He bellowed, beckoning to five of his most fearsome warriors. "Take this one to the extraction room, drain him of midiclorians and begin synthesis. Do not let him out of the stun cuffs."

"But, your terribleness, he is old. Feeble."

"Fool! Obey me! Don't question!"

The warrior bowed and dragged the force soaked old man away. A good find. His energies would assure the tyrants rule in this lost system for another four millennia.

"Well done, my metal brother." He said, stopping before the red droid. "How came you to be in servitude to these lesser beings?"

"He travelled here on his own," interrupted a sentient, speaking through a device on its forearm. "We found him on a derelict pirate ship, in orbit around this festering rock."

The monster narrowed its eyes and looked at the droid, who wilted visibly under his gaze. "You... would betray your own kind?"

"With all due respect your metal hideousness, you are not like any kind in the known galaxy."

The Dragon King, growled and raised his blaster arm, only to be interrupted by a grovelling minion who raced before him.

"Your Infinite Destructiveness! The old one! He vanished!"

Letting loose an earth shattering roar, the monster turned his scanners to blaze through the stone and steel walls, pin pointing the sentient running headlong toward...

"My archives! Theeeivvves!!!"

Before he could power up his overpowered auto cannons his sensors registered a massive power surge behind him, and turned to see the armoured warrior blazing a trail of mayhem through his pathetic minions.

It was all a trick. A distraction. To steal his archives.

Roaring he turned to face this threat.

Offline Glimm

• View Profile
Sacrifice
« Reply #20 on: 02/27/18, 07:33:25 AM »
Laser fire arched over Glimm and Jeeta as they crouched behind a pile of rubble. Jeeta was desperately scanning her data pad, trying to make sense of the scanner readings they had taken from the towering monster that had taken them prisoner.

"Anything?" Asked Glimm, popping up to vaporize another enemy.

"These readings make no sense." She shook her head. "There is biological material under that metal, but..."

"No life." Finished Teguta. The red droid had dragged the wounded would be padawan over to their cover. "Check your scanner more carefully, you will see some kind of frame work on which that biological material is grown."

"But you can clearly see the shape of some kind of creature!" Protested Jeeta, not willing to believe it.

"What about the force?" Asked Glimm.

Teguta nodded, "there is something there, it's true. I'm not sure what though."

The life day droid took a few shots with its hand cannon then crouched beside them. "Masters, please believe me, it's just a droid. The archives Master Yunis is after will prove that."

Glimm scowled behind his helmet. "If you hadn't saved Teguta I'd burn you down right now."

Suddenly Glimms comm came alive. "Hunter!" Crackled a desperate voice, laser fire echoing in the background. "Go... go now. I am lost. There are too many.... and that monstrosity is here."

"Master!" Shouted Teguta, drawing more fire on their position. "We will not leave you!"

"You must! You know my will now son. Be my legacy. Survive."

The comm went dead, and the sound of a distant explosion rocked the palace of the Dragon King.

The droid picked up Teguta and ran, the rest of them close on their heals.

They had gained nothing but wisdom, and lost a lot more than just time.

Offline Glimm

• View Profile
Consular/Loose Ends
« Reply #21 on: 03/04/18, 06:28:56 AM »
The lack of his presence was having less of an effect on the crew than Glimm would have thought. He certainly missed Kann Yunis, but Teguta was now on Tython, training as a Jedi, so there really was no one else who was close to him.

"What about the monkey lizard?" Asked Jeeta coming out of the galley with two steaming cups of caf.

"Thanks," he said taking the offered cup. "In carbonite, till we find a cure."

The red droid came in brandishing a data pad. "Masters! Excellent news! The nanotechnology infecting the specimen appears to have halted advancement as a result of the carbonite freezing. And, the Rakatan artifact we recovered on our flight from those awful droids on Gutanamie does in fact seem to be capable of causing the nanotechnology infection."

Glimm spat out his caf and jumped to his feet. "What!"

"Relax masters," soothed the droid, "the artifact is safely in a stasis feild for now."

Glimm rubbed his brow, he had given up his Rakatan artifact collection to Teguta, who had gifted it to the Jedi Temple, and was glad to have seen the last of it. "Are you taking it with you to Coruscant? You can give it to Teguta when he finishes his training and meets you there."

"Of course masters, a brilliant idea!"

"Do we know what this nanotechnology does?" Asked Jeeta.

"Preliminary data seems to suggest that it was a holographic interface system." Warbled the droid as it began to dust the shelves. "Similar perhaps to the force technology known as holocrons, except that the intelligence construct would appear to the user as a kind of hallucination I suppose."

"Well the sooner it's off my ship the better." Said Glimm, thinking the same about the droid.