BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Themaya  (Read 507 times)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Themaya
« on: 03/19/18, 08:47:48 PM »
+1 Show voters
I'm attempting to write a class story and planetary arc for a planet of my design as an exercise in quest writing. There is going to be a lot of trial and error and possibly at lot of revisions in this project, but you'll never know what you can pull off until you try it.

So far I have rough outlines for the class story and some of the side missions. Eventually I will better define some outlines for the planetary arc. I'll write for the smuggler story first as I have the best idea of where I will go with the story for that class. As I complete missions, I will turn them into forum threads, to approximate making them playable, and link them here.

Themaya

Class Mission: A World of Opportunity
Looking for the Next Score
The Approach
Making Friends

Planetary Arc: Tipping the Scales

Side Missions:
Sorting out Feelings
Downtime
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 08:43:07 PM by Imazi »
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Re: Themaya
« Reply #1 on: 03/20/18, 08:50:23 PM »
+1 Show voters
Sooo... first lessons in quest chain writing:
  • You wrote way more than you realized at the time just trying to tie up loose ends.
  • The formatting will take as long as the writing.
  • You are never "done" editing.
  • If the first quest in this very long chain takes this much effort and it is the easiest one of the whole series, cry... cry very much because it's only going to get worse.

So I thought I would have the first mission, Looking for the Next Score, posted tonight... I was wrong. I'm not quite halfway through set up, so maybe tomorrow I'll get it all posted and formatted. I was so proud too because it only took me two days to crank the writing out. Not bad to say I'm writing these out between calls at work.

Anywho, I will either start work on Sorting Out Feelings or The Approach tomorrow. I really want to work on Downtime, but given what I have planned for that side mission, it will be way more effort and research than the other two. Not to mention half of that research I probably can't do at work. Oh well. We'll see.

In the meantime, I am going to go build up some courage to keep this up. You'll never get better if you don't keep writing! :nuu: :write: :sleep:

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/21/18, 08:36:56 PM »
0 Show voters
Guh! :wtf: So I finally got most of the way through putting up the first mission. Technically the thread is not finished. I want to put in a crawl blurb, some explanations, and eventually the links the next missions... that will take a bit more time. However the dialog and options are all posted if not all tested. :umm:

Next parts of the project will be working on The Approach which will be the first glimpse of Themaya and Downtime which is a side mission where you get to have a chat with a companion before heading to Themaya. I'm not going to lie. It's going to take a lot more time and effort for those two missions. I've got some pretty ambitious plans for downtime and work decided that I need to start working more, so it will be harder to write even The Approach out. Sadly writing at home is... difficult. :p

Nevertheless, I am honing my writing and finally kicking down that writers's blockade. Hopefully those that have enough pity to play through these installments as they come will enjoy bits of it, and if not at least I can say I tried.  :grin:

That being said, I am slowly teaching myself to give the Devs more slack on this writing a whole planet story thing.  :sleep: :coffee:

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/24/18, 08:59:14 PM »
0 Show voters
Just to defy my urge to work a little less on this project, I'm posting a status update. If you happened to look in just to see if the next mission is ready, umm... no.

I am either half way or a third of the way through just writing the dialog depending on how long the last and harder scene to write ends up being. That doesn't include the emotions and scene setting. I had originally wanted all of the writing to be done by Monday, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make that goal.

However, work progresses on The Approach and then I think I will work on one of the companion scenes for Downtime. I'm aiming to work on the missions chronologically so I don't have one of my "inspiration" moment and add something in that boxes me into a corner for a previous mission.

Anywho, back to work fighting my procrastination and the writing beasts. I will prevail! :hand: :write:

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/29/18, 07:57:19 PM »
+1 Show voters
Wow, five days since my last update. :/ Ah well, I'm still chugging along. I've finally finished the first draft of The Approach and I'll start reviewing it tomorrow. My guess is that it might be a couple more days (or three) of editing and probably a week of formatting for this one. This mission is longer, in terms of writing, than the previous one.

However, the two missions I need to work on next and am kinda dreading are Downtime and Sorting Out Feelings. Both are companion-centric missions AKA easy to screw up. I need to sit down and watch all of the scenes for the smuggler companions, take notes, and research properly for those... hence why I've been avoiding it. Oh well, I'll never get better until I keep writing! I've been writing once a day since Monday.  :grin:

For now, sleep. :sleep:

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/02/18, 08:35:48 PM »
0 Show voters
Alright, last weekend did not go the way I had planned, so editing the Approach took longer than anticipated. Hopefully formatting will go faster. So far I've got a third of it up so far, no testing done yet. If I keep up the pace I should be able to finish formatting in the next couple of days.

Like I said last time, the upcoming missions will need research, so my mission posting schedule will probably slow down while that is going on. I'll also take the time to work on worldbuilding and character sketches. As we get closer to arriving on Themaya, details will become a lot more important. *cough* ...and I might fit in proper plot pace planning too. *cough*

Regardless, progress continues even if it's not as visible from the outside. Ciao for now. :write: :sleep:

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/03/18, 08:40:25 PM »
0 Show voters
Success! I've finished posting The Approach ahead of schedule. Hopefully, no misdirected links snuck through my final checks.

I'm torn between working on the Corso portion of Downtime next or Sorting Out Feelings. One mission is for is a companion I have a better grasp of and the other is a shorter mission chain. Well, I'll figure out.

Research and planning has begun in earnest. I hope to get down character notes on the smuggler and their companions as well as for characters that will make an appearance in the next class mission. I'm working on fleshing out Theymaya's cultural and topographical features. Not to mention plot pacing.

We'll see how it all comes together in the end. In the meantime, I'm keeping up my writing streak.  :whee:

Oh yeah, for any of you that happen to actually go through the missions, don't forget the little vote buttons on each post. If there's some portion of a mission that gets votes, it helps me identify what works... and what doesn't.
« Last Edit: 04/03/18, 09:48:59 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/05/18, 05:35:51 PM »
0 Show voters
Alright, so I've begun writing and research on Corso for the Downtime mission. Corso happens to be one of those love him or hate him companions. One of the things I find funny about him is that people who love him often love him for the very reasons that other people hate him.

Here's the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for SWTOR's most prominent country boy:

Corso hails from Ord Mantell, a "rural" planet, that raised him with the values of family, protection of those who cannot protect themselves, and deference to women. While Corso does most things in good faith, sometimes his actions come off as simple, idiotic, or unsettling depending on who's doing the interpreting. Nevertheless, all Corso seems to want in life is the be the hero, get the girl, and live happily ever after.

For downtime, I want to work in the ability for the Smuggler to address how they feel about Corso good, bad, or neutral. Ideally, my interpretation of the character will allow Corso and the smuggler to either come to some understanding or forever resolve their irreconcilable differences.

However, in the process of working on this mission, I realize that I forgot to account for people having HK-51 in the companion line up. I'm not sure how I will handle that. Perhaps I'll find a way to edit him in once the class mission is complete and ignore him for now. It's hard enough to write this thing with the companions I did think about.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/10/18, 07:53:58 PM »
+1 Show voters
The project's not dead I promise.  :grin:

Work continues on the first of the 5 variations of the Downtime mission. Also, I am taking the time to flesh out the plot for the overall mission chain. Sometimes in writing, you have to bounce around from section to section to keep moving forward to overcome writer's block, doubt, and over editing.

An interesting topic of consideration lately is how to compare traditional storytelling with a game's level of player volition. The answer I have come up with so far is that you tell the story the same as always. The difference is that you never write from the perspective of a character development arc because that is for the player's imagination.

What you do is you write the scenario and you give the player multiple lenses to see it through. The player's character will go out and change the world not the world change the character. However, allowing multiple lenses allows the player to see how things look differently if they play their character differently. In effect, if their head canon for their character changes, they can see how their character's new perspective colors they events they experience.

Anywho, the experiment continues! :write:
« Last Edit: 04/10/18, 08:02:40 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/16/18, 08:44:58 PM »
0 Show voters
Still plugging along. Work decided to make me work more and I've been struggling on how to proceed with the mission I'm currently working on, so not a lot of progress. I did manage to write a short story today from a few snippets of a writing prompt. Not a complete waste at least.

At the moment, I'm grappling with two issues in connection with Themaya. One, how to apply three act structure to a storyline that is not entirely linear. Two, how to write an organic reading conversation between the "player" and Corso that allows for the player to talk with him about opinion people have expressed.

For instance, thus far in my research, there are a few main reaction to the character: loveable/hateable idiot, loveable dork, best bud, chauvinist/misogynist, creeper. Part of my philosophy with this mission is that the player should get to express their view to Corso with Corso getting to respond. My intent is to provide acknowledgement, closure, and a few other things.

Due to the need for regulated conversation branches, there needs to be some kind of structure organizing responses, but it still needs to be organic enough to protect immersion. I'm fighting between my artistic vision and my practical constraints. Good practice I guess. It's a real problem.

If it gets too bad, I will focus more on plotting out the main storyline and go back to writing on the main mission chains.

As always, the experiment continues. We'll see where all of this goes. :write: