BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

November 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Nov 22: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Official BC.org Site Additions Discussion Thread  (Read 6040 times)

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
Re: Official BC.org Site Additions Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: 10/06/15, 03:32:38 PM »
Sounds like you need a poll! =D

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Esk

• Parts Donor
  • Now shines the moon, welkin-wanderer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10/06/15, 03:52:59 PM »
Re: the various leaderboards... What I wonder is who in our current community will look at them if they were available?

If they will be available regardless, where would people want them to be placed?

Sounds like you need a poll! =D

A poll could certainly be helpful once we actually know what a few people are thinking and what the poll questions and choices could be. My sense is we're not at that point yet, as very few people have commented, period, on that particular topic.

I, for example, probably won't find the leaderboards as useful for myself as I am a largely RP player and am not so heavily involved in the other areas of the game such that leaderboards would be useful for me.
« Last Edit: 10/06/15, 03:57:35 PM by Esk »

Imperial: Eskenah, Emlaira, Qoasha, Nochot, Linhua, Qorit
Republic: Etirza, Soori, Eswolyn, Annave, Foha, Nadimai, Yue-ming
Ialdon: Therem, Shilee
<The Koonto Legacy>

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10/06/15, 04:47:54 PM »
I wouldn't have much use for a leaderboard either but I have nothing against them.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Cordae

• "Gird your souls with the armor of contempt..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10/06/15, 09:16:18 PM »
Hello BC! We have two new discussion additions!

• Dedicated profile sections - The inclusion of special text boxes / areas of the User Profile Page to denote strongholds, a character listing, more plot arcs, etc.
  • Gallery / Art Section Childboard - The creation of a childboard on the Outside Realms subforum for the express purpose of hosting art threads, cosplay threads, and threads of that nature.  (Editted by @Artisan: Please disregard the word "gallery" as it has given people a wrong impression of the proposed change)

Please discuss them! Get your friends to discuss them! THIS IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET NEW THINGS FOR THE FORUM!
« Last Edit: 10/07/15, 02:25:24 PM by Artisan »

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10/06/15, 09:38:00 PM »
On the subject of the art board, I am totally down for that! It'd be a great place to lump together everything instead of having miscellaneous art threads tucked away in the forum.

There's a pro and a con to this. The pro: having an established art thread may make it easier for some to post their art since the whole thing would be official and other people would already be doing it. The con: it may also be intimidating to see a lot of artists lumped together in one thread and then post something. But in general, it seems like people response well to specific places where you can post art, so I think it's a splendid idea.

Zmaj: 32, Chiss agent, lover of intrigue wine
Caesiallus: 34, Twi'lek bartender, info-broker
Varinas: 40, Human Darth, archivist, former "diplomat"

Seem: 38, Rattataki Jedi Master, resident grump
Vashya'ati: 34, Togruta Jedi Sage, small-time archaeologist
Ash'tana: 32, Miraluka smuggler, trouble-finder extraordinaire

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10/06/15, 11:04:22 PM »
  • Dedicated profile sections - The inclusion of special text boxes / areas of the User Profile Page to denote strongholds, a character listing, more plot arcs, etc.
  • Gallery / Art Section Childboard - The creation of a childboard on the Outside Realms subforum for the express purpose of hosting art threads, cosplay threads, and threads of that nature.

Art:
I'm in favor of the art board but I'd suggest placing it in the Worldbuilding, Cantina, or Holocron and Info Nodes board. I would expect that unrelated stuff can just go in the Outside Realms like is is now without needing a specific board. But people can use the art board for art related to SWTOR.

As a side note for artists, while there can definitely be theme boards that everyone can contribute to, just consider making your own personal art thread. Then you don't have to worry about it sitting right next to someone else's art. Also, it will let you log your progress over the years.

Profile:
As for more profile sections: YES! Especially the character listing. With so many altoholics, it would be good if people could listed them in a standardized place without having to worry about how much signature space they have left.  Bonus points if that list is read by the search thus letting you enter the name and figure out who it is you need to @ tag.

For a stronghold profile listing, being able to enter the name and like a 250 character blurb for each one would be great. A lot of people probably don't just go browsing through the stronghold listing but profiles often get read some time after people post. I would like to see the OOC Notes part left though for more misc. stuff.

Offline Iaera

• a spooky ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10/06/15, 11:32:07 PM »
I love the profile idea.  :lightside:
retired ~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10/06/15, 11:53:46 PM »
totally think both ideas are awesomesauce!!

I agree - gathering the art in one place encourages more!  It says, "Hey guys we love this stuff! Come post here See!"  :grin:

And I seriously need to payout some cash for some work... I tell you what.

And I Love the profile idea; though I have to wonder how much space we have to expand?  And if we keep expanding it - does it not just go back to belonging more on the Wikki again? Instead of in two separate places?

Not saying that it will. Just presenting another argument... thinking outloud.  I have no idea if the posting area is limited by space and if so how much we can really "include" there.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10/07/15, 12:35:20 AM »
I would say go ahead and allow for several section just limit the character space so that novels aren't written for each section. The advantage of these sections is quick accessibility for the information and easy to find headers. Most people probably putter around on the forum more than anywhere else, so being able to hop straight from the forum to a profile is probably more convenient.

A lot of the time, people wish to look up information after reading a post on the forum. If you have room for a little bit of specific info on the profile, people can go straight from the post they were looking at to the profile. If they need more info then they can probably go check out the wiki. Specific wiki pages can be linked in the profile right in the appropriate section. Thus, the profile can help streamline the pathways to things.

Offline Audaine

• Parts Donor
  • <Flailing Intensifies>
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10/07/15, 01:38:16 AM »
Both ideas are godly. I remember having that old gallery a couple of years back, was a handy tool to put giggly commissions up. Was good for advertising people who do commissions, found someone to do my Aud commission through the gallery, that way.

Profiles though, I say do that first. Profile listings would be -amazing-, even though we have the wiki. It'd be nice to have something short and punchy to refer to when in RP so you know who's who and what.

[ ^ What? I actually update this link now? ^ ]

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10/07/15, 07:25:51 AM »
For Leadership boards:  Don't have any use for them, but I can see others might.

For Art board: 100% yes on this.  Give them the space they deserve.

For Dedicated profile sections: I'm not understanding this one completely in your description.  Is this like a wiki page or a shortened page that you could display all characters you have?

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10/07/15, 07:43:57 AM »
Sasmi - Are you confused on what she's adding?

Or are you confused on the feature that is already in place (since the wikki overhaul of 2015!)?

If you're unaware of the feature currently in place (as the Wikki doesn't allow for OOC information), if you go to anyone's profile page there's a space there for some OOC commentary that has been used for a variety of purposes by players.

I think what this suggestion is - is to add more space/sections more clearly providing set information.  Basically, giving people more room on the profile to put in what they feel they need to.

At least, that's how I read it so if I am also mistaken someone let me know =D

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10/07/15, 07:44:18 AM »
To clarify:

Re: Art section - We will not be hosting pictures at this time due to space considerations. The idea at present involves having a separate forum child board so that people can keep their threads in a more concentrated area.

Re: Profile additions - See current profile actions including ooc section and IC plot summary. Proposed changes are additions and improvements of that type. Character/word limits exist because they are not meant to replace wiki articles. They are meant to be a directory for things like wiki articles, full stronghold listings, etc. hence the character/word limits. Duplication of work would not do justice to or be beneficial in promoting use of the wiki and stronghold listings into which people have put a lot of time and work.
« Last Edit: 10/07/15, 09:23:44 AM by Artisan »

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10/07/15, 08:09:24 AM »
To clarify:

Re: profile additions - See current profile actions including ooc section and IC plot summary. Proposed changes are additions and improvements of that type. Character limits exist because they are not meant to replace wiki articles. They are meant to be a directory for things like wiki articles, full stronghold listings, etc. hence the character limits. Duplication of work would not do justice to or be beneficial in promoting use of the wiki and stronghold listings into which people have out a lot of time and work.

Okay now I am getting the idea of what it could be used for.  That would be a rather nice feature.  Describing it as a directory made it much clearer to me.

Offline Semah

• The sand remembers where the river was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/07/15, 09:12:50 AM »
Both of those sound fine and useful. Indeed, the more information that can be put on a forum profile, the less the stark separation of Wiki and OOC info will be jarring.

But, full disclosure: I haven't used the forum profile info section myself *anyway*. So I'm speaking from a sort of platonic, idealized-user perspective, not as a heavy RPer-in-the-trenches.