BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

August 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Aug 23: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 23: Jedi Night: Mahara Kesh - 7:30 PM PST
Aug 25: Port of Call: Aaand... Sold!

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Official BC.org Site Additions Discussion Thread  (Read 4989 times)

Offline livia

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
Re: Official BC.org Site Additions Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: 10/07/15, 10:29:31 AM »
A child board for Art posts/threads would be lovely.  :aww:

We used to have a character listing in the profile (which showed up in your sidebar on posts) which disappeared at some point. It would be nice to have that back. I don't know if we need more room for blurbs about characters - maybe just a way for the character listing to link to wiki pages for those characters that have them?

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10/07/15, 10:44:54 AM »
We used to have a character listing in the profile (which showed up in your sidebar on posts) which disappeared at some point. It would be nice to have that back. I don't know if we need more room for blurbs about characters - maybe just a way for the character listing to link to wiki pages for those characters that have them?

Oh that is a good idea.

Offline Armeria

• "Impenetrable face of boing." --Tae
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10/07/15, 01:46:07 PM »
YES on ART!
YES on profile fields!  :whee:

Offline Thrax

• Parts Donor
  • I'll make a martyr out of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10/07/15, 02:02:42 PM »
I'm all for profile pages, it seems like a great idea.

I like the idea of an art gallery as well, but I feel like there will have to be some clear rules for submission. Do basic screenshots count as art? Edited screenshots? Or just drawings and commissions? I think it'd be cool to have somewhere on the site to collect character portraits and other things, but I think there would have to be some sort of clear standard for entry.

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10/07/15, 02:22:25 PM »
I like the idea of an art gallery as well, but I feel like there will have to be some clear rules for submission. Do basic screenshots count as art? Edited screenshots? Or just drawings and commissions? I think it'd be cool to have somewhere on the site to collect character portraits and other things, but I think there would have to be some sort of clear standard for entry.

Again to clarify re: Art (I think using the word "gallery" has thrown people off entirely), the current proposed idea is not a "gallery" in any sense of the word, and in particular is not going to involve image hosting by BC.org due to technical considerations. The idea proposed involves having a subforum board where people may place their regular forum threads involving art and pictures so that they are collected in one place and people can find them. No submission required.

The proposed parent forum is in Outside Realm because there are non-personal-art and non-SWTOR-art threads on BC.org that also include pictures that we feel may be helpful to be collected in the same section (e.g., Pictures of Faces thread).

Hope this is helpful and further clarifies.
« Last Edit: 10/07/15, 02:29:58 PM by Artisan »

Offline Thrax

• Parts Donor
  • I'll make a martyr out of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10/07/15, 02:35:58 PM »

Again to clarify re: Art (I think using the word "gallery" has thrown people off entirely), the current proposed idea is not a "gallery" in any sense of the word, and in particular is not going to involve image hosting by BC.org due to technical considerations. The idea proposed involves having a subforum board where people may place their regular forum threads involving art and pictures so that they are collected in one place and people can find them. No submission required.

The proposed parent forum is in Outside Realm because there are non-personal-art and non-SWTOR-art threads on BC.org that also include pictures that we feel may be helpful to be collected in the same section (e.g., Pictures of Faces thread).

Hope this is helpful and further clarifies.

That sounds much better to me. In that case, if the art subforum is to be a thing, someone should go around and catalog all of the threads in existence that qualify for the new subforum so they can be readily moved. I know there's a Portraits thread somewhere, but there may be other things that qualify.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10/07/15, 03:16:48 PM »
If you wish to include things like the faces thread then it sounds like you are looking to make an images board more so than an art board. When I think of art boards I think more of stuff people create specifically as art such as artistic photography over just a picture to show what you look like, 3D renders, and 2D art.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Audaine

• Parts Donor
  • <Flailing Intensifies>
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10/07/15, 04:11:19 PM »
If you wish to include things like the faces thread then it sounds like you are looking to make an images board more so than an art board. When I think of art boards I think more of stuff people create specifically as art such as artistic photography over just a picture to show what you look like, 3D renders, and 2D art.

A 'Media' board would cover most fields, in my thoughts. People could throw up music they've produced, art, screenshots, facethread business...

[ ^ What? I actually update this link now? ^ ]

Offline Semah

• The sand remembers where the river was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10/07/15, 04:49:25 PM »
To get us started, here's some Medea Media:

Everyone loves the Pre-Raphaelites, right?

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10/07/15, 04:50:00 PM »
A media board would work.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10/07/15, 07:06:56 PM »
Question -

Regarding the art forums and having, possibly more active longer threads.

I know at some point we had started a "Fun Thread Post" about meme and gifs or something like that here, and basically it had to be locked because Admin at the time stated that it was borking things due to the size it was getting and all the linked pictures. (At least... that's what I remember.. .something to do with the number of pictures as the thread extended)

Is this still a thing? A concern?

Any idea what I"m talking about?  :grin:

If it is still a thing; then I guess there would have to be an image limit per thread, or pages per thread, or... well.. however that's handled.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10/07/15, 07:20:33 PM »
Question -

Regarding the art forums and having, possibly more active longer threads.

I know at some point we had started a "Fun Thread Post" about meme and gifs or something like that here, and basically it had to be locked because Admin at the time stated that it was borking things due to the size it was getting and all the linked pictures. (At least... that's what I remember.. .something to do with the number of pictures as the thread extended)

Is this still a thing? A concern?

Any idea what I"m talking about?  :grin:

If it is still a thing; then I guess there would have to be an image limit per thread, or pages per thread, or... well.. however that's handled.

That thread had to be locked because all people were posting were gifs, which take up a lot of bandwidth. So yes, it's still an issue if people made a thread completely made up of gifs. If you want to share more than the occasional gif, I would recommend linking it without showing it on the posts.

Offline Tanka

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10/19/15, 08:51:26 AM »
This is fairly minor, but it hits me in just such a way that I go "augh this is only mildly annoying!"

I don't run my browser in fullscreen, mostly because I have other stuff on that screen that I also like to see (Steam friend list, Mumble channel list, SpeedFan, etc).

The site seems to be set up to use a fixed width, rather than a scaling width. Is there any way to change that or would it cause complications with the various bits in the layout?

(Note that I haven't done HTML/CSS/PHP in like six years or so, so I may be asking the impossible.)

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10/19/15, 05:58:06 PM »
The site seems to be set up to use a fixed width, rather than a scaling width. Is there any way to change that or would it cause complications with the various bits in the layout?

Unfortunately it would cause issues with various bits of layout.

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10/19/15, 06:13:27 PM »
I would love it if, as admin of my guild's forum, I could create child boards within the guild's forum. If this is already a possibility, please tell me how! I like the forum here way better than an Enjin site, but I miss being able to make multiple forum boards for my guild, being limited to organising things only in threads.