BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

November 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Nov 22: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Announcement: Community Update  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Dezzrevas

• Fear is the mind killer
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement: Community Update
« Reply #15 on: 12/08/15, 02:35:05 AM »
I do feel I must acknowledge the amazing job that everyone of all admin teams have done with this community. There will always be shortfalls mostly due to manpower and time constraints. Yet the site keeps on going by the shear will and conviction of the team. The amount of hours pouring through every post for some and the attention to detail of others is truly inspiring. That level of dedication though pure of intention does take it's tole on a person. I must stress as I have before along with so many others, they need help. Five people can run a website, but with the sheer volume of content created every day it is too much to expect anyone to go through. Unless they turn the site into their entire life.   Though I am currently not part of the admin team I do look forward to helping and participating in the community any way I can. 
~Dezz'revas~ Republic (The Revas Order)
~Dessel'revas~ Imperial (The Fallen of Revas)
21st Sage in ranked PVP Grouped(season 6)

Offline Armeria

• "Impenetrable face of boing." --Tae
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12/08/15, 06:20:50 AM »
I think this is a good move. During the chaos/crisis of rapid change and loss: I was beginning to feel a little like community voices were being steam rolled over, or ignored completely-- a tinsy bit. This announcement may not satisfy many, but at the very least, in my humble outside lurking opinion, believe it is the best one. (Not that you guys really need any reassurance but just sayin')  :aww:

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12/08/15, 10:16:59 AM »
To protect the confidentiality and to not negate the contributions of the forementioned former members of the site team, whom we still appreciate, we had initially refrained from speaking on the specifics of their departure from the team.

However, it seems like there are still misunderstandings and acrimony related to the event. I regret that this has been brought up, in particular by Dezzrevas, but I will clarify in particular in his case, without affecting the confidentiality of the other former members.

While Dezzrevas's work on the summits has been clear and appreciated by those who have a stake in the summits, a member of the Arbiters on BC.org has certain other duties and requirements to the role, including time, presence, and familiarity with the events and topics discussed on the site. Due to unexpected circumstances on his part, Dezzrevas had not been able to fulfill such components of the role to the needs to the Admin team over the past few months, and therefore we had a discussion about the expectations and ability to fulfill expectations.

That was the underlying difficulty that led to a request for Dezzrevas to step down from his Arbiter role, and we regret that this had to happen. Disagreement or confusion regarding one particular arbitration decision or another had no bearing on this decision, and we are sorry if it felt to be that way.

@Dezzrevas, if there are other points of confusion or contention you have with the Admin team, we can talk more about it. But for the sake of confidentiality of you and your fellows, as well as the confidentiality of administrative decisions that are guaranteed to vulnerable complainants on the site, I ask that you discuss further admin team points privately rather than in a public forum. Thank you!

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12/08/15, 10:39:16 AM »
Perhaps this thread should be locked and/or hidden until things are sorted out among current, and former, members of the admin team? Recent posts by some of you do give the impression this announcement was made a bit prematurely...

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12/08/15, 10:43:34 AM »
Perhaps this thread should be locked and/or hidden until things are sorted out among current, and former, members of the admin team? Recent posts by some of you do give the impression this announcement was made a bit prematurely...

Changes and decisions announced in the original post have been the case for several weeks now. We have made the post as a way to be open and communicative with the rest of the BC.org community, and consideration of the announcements have occurred over the course of forementioned several weeks. This has not been premature. Some might even consider it later than warranted.

It would be unfair to the community to not communicate what has already occurred.

I hope this is helpful to you, @Crimsen!
« Last Edit: 12/08/15, 10:47:48 AM by Artisan »

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12/08/15, 10:51:08 AM »

Changes and decisions announced in the original post have been the case for several weeks now. We have made the post as a way to be open and communicative with the rest of the BC.org community, and consideration of the announcements have occurred over the course of forementioned several weeks. This has not been premature. Some might even consider it later than warranted.

It would be unfair to the community to not communicate what has already occurred.

I hope this is helpful to you, @Crimsen!

I guess. At the same time from reading the replies, it seems a lot of hard feelings and drama are still floating around. I don't know if it's fair for the community to be a witness to it.

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12/08/15, 11:35:12 AM »
I, for one, applaud the openness of the current admins about this situation so we can all collectively know what is happening instead of previous times when it was less open and clear.

Offline Semah

• The sand remembers where the river was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12/08/15, 11:47:13 AM »
It's not the staff's job to protect us from drama. They have no "job" except maintaining a poker face while getting yelled at every day. After being yelled at again again, that face becomes a sleepless mask of rigor; they aren't born that way.  Being forum staff is like the blueprint for a bad romance. And if they try to just dance, they get tells mid-step about something admin-related.

I happen to think BC.org is better than sex-covered bacon. Or is it bacon-covered sex? I can never remember. The point is that BC.org is pretty good up until we start clamoring for more bacon and we end up slaughtering next year's hogs and we're left without any bacon to cover the sex and we feel pretty sick too.

Offline Kezie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12/08/15, 11:51:52 AM »
Im not one to jump on community stuff often but I must commend you all that help here. I mean keeping this site alive and going is not something I could do. You guys take your time out of your real lives to help with this site for a video game. A game important to alot but the community is more important so thank you so all of you guys that keep us going. :)

(Man I hope I put this in the right place.)
May the force serve us well!!!

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12/08/15, 01:28:27 PM »
It's not the staff's job to protect us from drama. They have no "job" except maintaining a poker face while getting yelled at every day. After being yelled at again again, that face becomes a sleepless mask of rigor; they aren't born that way.  Being forum staff is like the blueprint for a bad romance. And if they try to just dance, they get tells mid-step about something admin-related.

I happen to think BC.org is better than sex-covered bacon. Or is it bacon-covered sex? I can never remember. The point is that BC.org is pretty good up until we start clamoring for more bacon and we end up slaughtering next year's hogs and we're left without any bacon to cover the sex and we feel pretty sick too.

... Semah, I understand your meaning up until the metaphor. Then you lost me. Could you translate the metaphor, please?

I do have a question: If their job isn't to protect from dreams, twhy is all the drama surrounding Bolas' departure under lock and let to the point where even mentioning it gets shut down by an admin?

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12/08/15, 01:30:22 PM »
While the thread started off straightforward enough and I appreciate having others contribute to a broader picture of what happened behind the scenes, I will say that the thread is probably right on the edge of veering into something a lot more uncomfortable. :umm:
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Sasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12/08/15, 01:39:03 PM »
While the thread started off straightforward enough and I appreciate having others contribute to a broader picture of what happened behind the scenes, I will say that the thread is probably right on the edge of veering into something a lot more uncomfortable. :umm:

I agree Imazi.  I respectfully ask those that wish to go down that topic of discussion please do so in another thread and a moratorium be placed on discussing it here.

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12/08/15, 01:41:29 PM »

... Semah, I understand your meaning up until the metaphor. Then you lost me. Could you translate the metaphor, please?

I do have a question: If their job isn't to protect from dreams, twhy is all the drama surrounding Bolas' departure under lock and let to the point where even mentioning it gets shut down by an admin?

Addition: Might I add it was shut down by some ego had no problem indirectly accusing the admins who are departing of purely using their position for their personal gain.

Makes me wonder which is it.

Offline Semah

• The sand remembers where the river was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12/08/15, 01:44:00 PM »
If we like BC.org so much that we nag the admin into losing their fucks, there won't be a BC.org left to like.

Also, I seem to enjoy metaphors with sex in them.

If you mean Jaade's post, it's because the staff do enforce the forum rules within (a) their abilities as mortals with jobs and (b) the bounds those rules set on their power. If I were to come out and say "So and so can get fucked" it wouldn't be treating So-and-so with respect. As Imazi just noted, drama threads often go off in that direction, so I don't blame them for being leery.

Internet forums have a way of screeching MOD ABUSE MOD ABUSE whenever a thread is locked, but honestly, the disclosure was made, and IMO it was a good disclosure.

I'm going to stop replying in this thread now, because folks have requested we taper off. Also, I need to save my Internet argument energy for after Episode 9 comes out.  :rage:

Offline livia

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12/08/15, 01:45:45 PM »
Enough, please. Let's try and keep this thread on topic.

Crimsen, if you would like to continue this conversation please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it.