BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

May 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
May 21: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific
May 24: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
May 25: Dancer's Palace 9pm PDT
May 26: Gauntlet of the Empire Open RP
May 28: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Announcement: Community Update  (Read 4001 times)

Online Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement: Community Update
« Reply #30 on: 12/08/15, 01:46:37 PM »
First off I did want to say - I didn't get the idea from the Admins announcement, Dezz, that the admins are saying they won't support the Summits as a whole, their existance, the use of the common chat rooms, etc.  I didn't get that idea at all so if I'm wrong please Admins correct me.

What I got from that notice is that

1-we think all of that stuff is great and cool (Summits, common chat rooms, etc.) and hope others will be participating as they can BUT

2--we can't officially commit our time and energy to saying we (the admins) will attend all Summits, put up all new threads/boards/whatever people are wanting from that and be in charge of implementing stuff on the boards - when its a mixed bag whether those are things "WE" as in the entire community (and not just subsections of it) are behind and think will be a positive thing.

3--Since we can't promise to attend and commit ourselves to such a venture we can't really "officially" back the Summits and expect people to "abide by what is decided/put forther/suggested" there when its not been vetted by the admins in charge in the first place.  So we have to remove that "Community Stamp" so to speak.

At least that's how I took that.

The rest of us, and all of them are still welcome to use the boards as designed RIGHT NOW - continue posting, using discussions, for more than RP Event stuff.  People can still post and advertise/talk about the community channels to direct people to (outside of just ooc), and can still put up their non-RP events on the calender and be as open as everyone wants to be both from THIS "community" end and the other.

They aren't saying "ok noone from the summits can come here anymore and you guys can't talk about it!"

So really everything COULD continue on the same - including having notes from the summits posted here for discussion and brought back to the Summits by any community members who can attend that particular Meeting.  But the Admins just aren't going to oversee/take charge of it.

There's no reason anything specific has to change (is what I am reading....) except for things that would require reprogramming of the board, additional time/man hours spent changing our forums around, putting up leaderboards etc. that they just can't do.

Basically it falls back into OUR OWN laps (this community and anyone as part of the Summit who wants to keep coming and including us in what's going on) to make of it what we want, or don't want. 

If people here on their own don't care, or won't, go to the Summits - well then no the Admins should not be the ones who have to shoulder that burden when the community itself doesnt' care to make the effort.  And it shouldn't fall to them to then have to explain to those who don't care/don't want a part of it why the change is happening and insisting its for their betterment - when they (the people not participating) didn't want it in the first place.

That at least is what I got from reading the announcement.  Not at all a "GO AWAY NO MORE SUMMIT TALK!" just a "Uhh guys look we just can't head this up - so participate as you will it will be what YOU  make of it.  We're not shoving it on anyone anymore."

Now if the people involved in the Summit chose to remove themselves from a forum that is still giving them full reign to post and use as they wish; that is their choice - but its not being 'unfriendly' to say they can't commit their time and don't want to have to rewrite anything about these forums in order for the Summit People to feel we are "cooperating."

~~~~~

Crim - avoidance of drama certainly won't be done by locking anything down where people can't discuss it; but it also won't be avoided by providing an entirely open door policy either - because then you'd have 500 people trying to run a board and give their opinion on decisions and that doesnt' avoid drama either.

Avoiding drama re: Bolas and all of that is almost impossible because the person who isn't around anymore can't step up and provide us with an explanation.  So as long as that is true; you're going to have drama as people speculate what they think did, or didn't happen.  So having an truly "entire explanation" is impossible without the source explaining himself no matter what the Admins saw from their side of it.

But hiding anything and locking it down just spreads more discontent and the feeling that people aren't able to come here and truly discuss community issues - which is already a problem (people feeling that way due to threads - long before this - being locked when they were about problems peole wanted to air out and discuss).

I"m with the Admins here when they said this came a little late - I for one think things should be a bit more glass-walled as far as specifics with why/how some things are decided because there are times when things do "hit the fan" around here and people are waiting for official word or some sort of explanation that never comes - or only getting a hurt players' opinion instead of the opinion from the Admins to explain why they decided what they did etc.

BUT - they addressed it now with this announcement and then provided further explanation. 

There are going to be answers you aren't going to get; answers you dno't really need and neither does the community.  And Bolas's reasons are his own and not for ANYONE ELSE to speculate what they THINK they know and he's not here offering an explanation.

But the only REAL way to avoid drama - is to not partake in it and if you see people around you discussing something that spreads the drama, call them out on it.  Find out if it has a purpose (such as addressing a bigger problem), or if it is truly just "to gossp."  If its the second, ask them to take it to whispers - I do this in ooc all the time when I see people talking about a third party who isn't present, or a guild who isn't present, etc.  I ask them to take it private because said person isn't there to defend themselves.

No matter what the admins do - you're going to have drama.  It is on US (just like summit participation) as ADULTS (those of us who are...) to end the drama when we see it.  By addressing those concerned directly ourselves if we have questions we feel should be answered; and then telling others who are just gossiping to gossip that we won't put up with it around our person.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12/08/15, 01:53:09 PM »
Still doesn't address the fact that the people departing got accused of using their positions for their own gain, which implies to me something isn't settled.

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12/08/15, 01:54:47 PM »
Enough, please. Let's try and keep this thread on topic.

Crimsen, if you would like to continue this conversation please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it.

@Crimsen, if you did not see this, you are now tagged.

I think there is agreement that this particular avenue of discussion may be moving beyond what this thread was originally intended for.

We will be monitoring and considering whether or not to close this conversation and address concerns that are off-topic elsewhere.

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12/08/15, 01:57:32 PM »

Crimsen, if you would like to continue this conversation please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it.

I think there is agreement that this particular avenue of discussion may be moving beyond what this thread was originally intended for.

We will be monitoring and considering whether or not to close this conversation and address concerns that are off-topic elsewhere.

Nope, I saw it. But people are still talking to me on here, not througha PM. I'm not going to let them explain my concerns away.

Offline Navigator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12/08/15, 02:04:58 PM »

Nope, I saw it. But people are still talking to me on here, not througha PM. I'm not going to let them explain my concerns away.

Crimsen, you have been asked twice to continue this conversation elsewhere through PMs - first by an arbiter, now by an administrator. I would very kindly suggest that you listen.

I encourage you to PM us with your concerns and address the PM to all of us, so that we can all be a part of the discussion. Further refusal of Administration Team requests may be subject to moderation.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Offline Nascuyan

• Parjai par Aliit Bes'uliik
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12/08/15, 03:04:31 PM »
Keeping a thread on topic and hushing up a sensitive matter because it makes people uncomfortable are different things. It pains me to see transparency and discussion in a public forum valued so little.
I'd like to voice my support for people asking the more difficult questions and who refused to be shushed by a needlessly paternalistic administration team.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12/08/15, 03:23:56 PM »
There is a difference between free speech and lack of discretion. Asking difficult questions is not in of itself a good justification for causing problems that can extend beyond the asking of the question. Remember that someone has to clean up the mess later and that will fall on the people who have already been stated to be pushed to their resource and time limits.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline livia

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12/08/15, 03:33:20 PM »
To be clear, no one is trying to 'hush' anything up. If people choose to make their issues public, they certainly can, provided that they don't violate community standards. The main reason that the details surrounding Bolas' decision to leave is not open for public discussion is that Bolas is not around to respond in any way to anything said about/against him. Requesting that off topic questions and concerns being addressed elsewhere is perfectly reasonable.

As we seem to be done having productive discussion on this topic, I am locking the thread.

So, as per discussion and clarification in the chatroom just now - I now have context for what appeared to me to be off topic posts about people making accusations. As it is, arguably, on topic, the thread is being unlocked.

I apologize for any issues that this may have caused.
« Last Edit: 12/08/15, 05:11:26 PM by livia »

Offline Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12/08/15, 11:44:41 PM »
*Dispenses hugs to the moderators and admins*

Sorry to see some folks step down... but I trust all will be well!
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat clum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ