BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

January 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jan 25: Jedi kNight (7:30 PST)
Jan 26: Dancer's Palace 9pm PST
Jan 29: Return to Rishi - Indie Night (6:30)

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Poll

Cantina Location Preference

Vaiken Spacedock/Carrick Station general cantina
1 (8.3%)
The Gav Daragon/White ship cantina
2 (16.7%)
Cartel Bazaar cantina
7 (58.3%)
Coruscant/Dromund Kaas
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: 07/29/16, 08:28:48 PM

Author Topic: Fleet Cantina RP!  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
Fleet Cantina RP!
« on: 07/14/16, 12:41:36 AM »
+1 Show voters
I have no idea if this is where I should be putting this, but I can't figure out where else to do this.

Everyone's noticed the decrease in fleet RP. The first time I logged into this game, there were people everywhere even with so many guilds afoot. The entry of strongholds into any game's equation naturally changes this, but we still had a crowd. Now it's almost non-existent, and we have a whole stream of people coming in with the new Dark vs. Light event who are either making more alts, or are new to the game and still coming in to experience KotFE, and there is no public RP base for them to fall onto.

One thing I've also noticed that even with a near-empty cantina, if you get enough people gathered in front of the bar counters with your friends, people start seeing group RP open to the public and they bring their friends to see what all the fuss is about. Bartending (something I'm fond of doing) can actually generate public RP. You end up meeting random people, the crowds build, and you get to converse with characters about all the things they do and all they've seen.

So what if we made a cantina RP event?

I'll say this before going on: it's not our sole responsibility to resurrect fleet RP. Much as I would like to see that happen, we're a community that is neither infinite nor has infinite time. A lot of people have several IRL responsibilities to see to before even thinking about going in-game sometimes. I also don't want it to be something that completely takes over what few events we already have. But I would like to try having just one night where we bring all of our RP to the fleet and crowd it, and just see what happens. If you bartend, bring your skills! If you have a plot to solve that doesn't require IC political discretion, bring that too! Heck, even bring your characters spoiling for fights! The thrill of fleet RP was that anything could happen. Trolls will be a possibility, as they usually are. This may also require some patience if there are people who are curious about you but unknown to you. But I'd like to designate a single day where this could happen and people could actually make it. If it works, great. Maybe we can make something out of it. And if it doesn't, then we go back to the way things were, nothing lost.

I don't know what to expect from this. Like I said, it's not our responsibility to resurrect fleet RP. But part of me really does miss the ability to walk down to the cantina and just talk to people instead of finding it empty. A lot of people miss the open atmosphere of it. Maybe people don't feel like it can be populated again? I don't know. But I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts about this. Particularly any reasons you stopped going to the fleet and anything that would entice you to go back again. And if enough people are up for this, I'd like to know which day you'd be most free.
« Last Edit: 07/14/16, 12:43:47 AM by Zmaj »
Zmaj: 32, Chiss agent, lover of intrigue wine
Caesiallus: 34, Twi'lek bartender, info-broker
Varinas: 40, Human Darth, archivist, former "diplomat"

Seem: 38, Rattataki Jedi Master, resident grump
Vashya'ati: 34, Togruta Jedi Sage, small-time archaeologist
Ash'tana: 32, Miraluka smuggler, trouble-finder extraordinaire

Offline SivWysan

• View Profile
Re: Fleet Cantina RP!
« Reply #1 on: 07/14/16, 12:52:13 AM »
0 Show voters
I'm all for open world, despite the poor quality control.  If I knew some times folks planned, I'd show up as able!

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/14/16, 01:23:49 AM »
0 Show voters
Fleet RP is around still.  Call me elitist, call me what you want, but I don't ever want to see the usual fleet "RPers" anywhere near our forums, or this community.  We've seen some of the usual Imp fleet RPers show up for our Friday event.  They never came back.  Probably because they couldn't god-mode and meta-game their way out of or into everything.

A cantina RP event will get meta-gamed, god-moded, trolled, and ruined. 

" Particularly any reasons you stopped going to the fleet"
Yeah, the '9 year old Zakuul princess cyborg-girl who's paralyzed from the waist down yet somehow walks around the Imperial fleet' is one reason.  Not to name and shame of course.
« Last Edit: 07/14/16, 01:26:19 AM by Sebrik »

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/14/16, 06:01:58 AM »
0 Show voters

I've had some good roleplays on the fleet... And a hell of a lot of bad ones. I pretty much agree with Sebrik on his points.  One example, not to give any names, was of a Jedi that went around chopping the barrels off blasters from ten paces or of a Sith that apparently could mind-control every person on the space-station.

I'd love to see a new roleplay event, I can never get enough of them, but the fleet? Ehh. Probably not the place to look. An alternative I'd suggest? Use a planet cantina instead. You'll still get some vibrance, meet new people, and have a fascinating atmosphere, but with less of the trolls. There are also some really good planet-side cantinas. I'd suggest places like Nar Shaddaa and Voss for cross-faction roleplay, or Tatooine, Coruscant, Dromund Kaas, and Nal Hutta for specific faction roleplays.
Exephos; a haunted war-ravaged veteran.
Shad'ra; an indecisive ex-mandalorian.
Gharzog; a happy-go-lucky gun for hire.

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/16, 06:37:43 AM »
0 Show voters
Once I'm back from my vacation, I'll have more time to reflect upon this idea, but my initial reaction is like Sebrik and Kremon. I've gotten rp out of rping on fleet (Kezie says I'm the only one he knows who can get real rp out of fleet), but it takes a lot of patience to educate the godmoders and metagamers while you rp, or a lot of energy to out-god-mode and out-meta-game them with your own rp.

I like the idea of going to different cantinas instead. An idea that I had had, when we were discussing options for our now empty Monday night slots was an outreach night, but I won't have any time to put into organising that idea into more than that for another couple weeks. After my vacation, I'll give it more thought and see if I can put up a more concrete suggestion.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/14/16, 09:50:57 AM »
+1 Show voters
Before strongholds, all we had was Cantina RP - and the location wasn't fleet because of the constant trolling and interference.  And because only one faction can attend Fleet RP (whichever one is that night...)

It was the NS Cantina, and the Voss (Kwenn ic) Cantina.  Its all we had...and RP was good, if people got really tired of going to the same thing and just seeing "Cantina RP."  Those are the only two locations that aren't either blocked by a pay wall (Rishi Cantina event never got off the ground a bit due to this, the Odessen Cantina is also blocked this way otherwise I wish we could use it!! Esp. since it has the private instances off of it!))

I'm willing to go to Fleet and try to show some RP; Karmic use to bartend all the time at the NS Cantina RP and on random nights just to get people to hang out and RP.

But whomever puts this together for once a month (or just once..) and those that volunteer are going to need to accept what Seb is pointing out.

1-there WILL be trollers, party bombers, godmodders trying to interact with us and so

2-if you go be prepared to just actively ignore them (do not engage or taunt any of them..else they don't get bored!) and be prepared to politely be telling Godmodders you don't Rp this way.

3- there will be prostitutes, nude dancers, and people being inappropriate trying to talk to you/us

4- there will be spammers (yes in say...)

5- there will be people trying to fight in the middle of your conversation (this was also why the No Fighting in Cantinas rule got started and then community enforced... because people get *really* sick (quite quickly) of people throwing down fights right in the middle of them all the time...)

I've seen good (never great...) RP in Fleet among the few, but on nights when I lurk and watch the vast majority of the time I see no good RP - I see bad RP. I see nude dancers and prostitutes, and usually those with "good RP" who have started there are soon driven out/leaving.

~~~

I totally jive with what you're trying to say and trying to help.  Yes, the appearance of Strongholds has, as expected, killed most Cantina RP out in the world.  People/old timers/community peeps can hesistant to just bring in "sight unseen" general RPers to the community because of the drama they've possibly been exposed to before when doing so and the drama that ends up bleeding to the forums as people try to change what is the 'norm' here - and not doing it in a nice way.  (I.e. Setting up their own Jedi and Sith Councils, intentionally going to other community events to challenge the rules...etc.)

Back when "everyone here" was discussing SH vs. staying open world, everyone with an event wanted to go SH because duh - you could decorate them and after 3...4...100 years in the same locations we wanted different.

But like in all other games, instance housing "kills" open-air community RP.  And the problem with that, as we are easily seeing with us - is that you get very little new influx of players.  Older players leave - leaving you with less and less people to RP with.

So I would love to attend a more-regular occurring open-world RP event (once every 2 weeks or once a month) or whatever - not sure fleet cantina RP is the place to start but we can certainly give it a go a couple of times and see how it goes and then adjust from there?

Like maybe - the Hutt Cantina ON Fleet (would require some general advertising once an hour or something to get people to go there but at least those people stopping by for a few minutes around fleet aren't just invited to troll...).  Same with the cantina buried in the uhh...starship outside of Fleet (I suck at names...).  Another location that isn't AS open to trolls wandering by but with a few advertisements in general every once in awhle people who care will come by and people who want to troll have to at least make a few extra load screens to get there - thereby discouraging them.

Or defaulting back to Ye Olde Standby NS Cantina RP (but that would only work as a new hub to direct people if, like in the beginning when it was a thing, it WAS where people defaulted their RP to cross factions and I don't know that would be the case anymore with SH...).

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline SquigglyV

• No, Lord! All is still downright bad, I find.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/14/16, 10:06:53 AM »
+1 Show voters
I agree with Sebrik and Kremon, literally anywhere aside from that toxic pit on the fleet would be better. But since we do have a lot of other places, I think the idea can still work. Planetside cantinas are usually prettier and since that's what matters most, we should use them.

I wouldn't recommend Nar Shaddaa because it's gotten old and it hasn't been much better than the fleet lately. And it's an ugly af planet too. Dromund Kaas and Coruscant are my suggestions, since they usually have people who are leveling or doing quests and are therefore probably interested in staying or doing RP. You even go to their cantinas for some quests! As far as I know the only cross-faction locations aside from Nar Shaddaa are part of expansions, but fleet RP was never cross-faction anyway so that shouldn't be a huge issue.

It's worth mentioning that there's another cantina on the Gav Daragon and White Nova, they rarely get used but are still on the same map as Vaiken Spacedock and Carrick Station.
You are in error. No one is screaming. Thank you for your cooperation.

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/14/16, 05:24:28 PM »
+1 Show voters
I met Zmaj in fleet. That's how I started Rping, with a character now long out of the public eye. Honestly, it might be nice to try but I think it's because of the server pop and the sign of the times that we will probably be merged.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Philla Kasan (29, Captain, 51st Recon)

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/14/16, 06:56:31 PM »
0 Show voters
It's worth mentioning that there's another cantina on the Gav Daragon and White Nova, they rarely get used but are still on the same map as Vaiken Spacedock and Carrick Station.

Do people even read posts?   :aww:

(Yea...I said that..the White Nova one...and the Hutt one on Fleet too!)

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/15/16, 12:13:41 AM »
+2 Show voters
Alrighty, so! First off, I appreciate you guys giving me feedback and also throwing out suggestions.

Fleet RP is a strange creature. We do happen to meet some good people, like I did with LVT/Tura and a handful of others who aren't in this community. I also know that there be monsters. It takes a lot of patience at times, and while RP should be a challenge, it can be exhausting dodging the collateral of people who intentional put a wrench in a good environment.

I'm still for the idea, but I also do like the idea of taking RP to one of the other cantinas. I'm actually really liking the idea of taking this to the cartel cantina, which has a wonderful set up and is still around a few people. Advertising in the general is also a great idea.

« Reply #10 on: 07/15/16, 09:31:12 AM »
0 Show voters
The Cartel Bazaar is actually a great place for RP, I've found out. Not many people visit there unless it's during Bounty Week, and even then they tend to GTFO once they've done what they went there to do. I am all for the idea of there being community events taking place there, both Imp and Pub side!

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07/15/16, 01:27:25 PM »
0 Show voters
I love the Hutt Cantina environment as well just because its not laid out like any other Cantina.  It has a marketplace so people can be doing "business with dealers" while also "socializing", and the cantina area itself to me by being "smaller" than say NS or Fleet gives you that sense of being more in an actual "room" than a huge convention space (like in NS).

And yea you still got back and forth traffic; who knows if we set something up there once a month or something perhaps it will turn into a more "default" place for fleet cantina RP that's just enough out of the way that traveling trollers won't bother (hey we can always hope...).

The White Nova basement cantina is a few more loading screens away so if we do have more problems at Hutt we can always move to the ship. Its just more limiting as far as teh "room" itself since its pretty small and compact.

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07/15/16, 04:07:45 PM »
0 Show voters
I do have to say that, without fleet RP, I would have never joined the community. In fact, if it weren't for a timely interaction with one of my now old friends, I would have given up on RPing altogether and left the game. So! With that in mind, if there was a group of people who were willing to brave the trolls, I'd be down for helping out and joining in when I'm able to get something going on the fleet.

That being said, I also understand the complaints and concerns voiced by others here. I do think open world RP is needed—and if it's decided that said RP should occur elsewhere, well... I'll support that too. And truly! Who's to say we can't have both?
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azeara

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07/15/16, 08:33:03 PM »
0 Show voters
Given that the initial response was less favorable toward the general fleet cantina, this will likely be somewhere else if the whole thing takes off. That being said, I still do enjoy the fleet cantina, and would be happy to grab a few people to RP there at random/whenever it tickles the fancy!

I've made a poll for location preferences. Obviously this will be a split faction thing, but it should be fine. We already have a cross-faction cantina event in the form of the Palace.

Poll's open for about two weeks. Once it closes and we get the votes in from whoever is interested, I'll make another one to decide on a single day and reasonable time we can test drive this. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming! Also, put in your preference for times if you like. Days open for this are currently: Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/18/16, 11:29:37 AM »
+1 Show voters
I'll probably be heading to the fleet cantinas a bit more often, especially now that I have a Republic char who isn't wanted by multiple authorities (Kyri, Merrant), a VIP that gets consumed by politics/family life (Shaantil) or a black hole of misery and despair (Lien).

Not that Anakithane is a paragon of joy and cheer, but could be worse :).

I'm not a fan of potential trolls or the usual bollocks that can come from RP in a public, visible space, but right now? I'm willing to risk it in order to try to get some more people into the scene. If we get trolls, we can walk away or some shit, and I'm not saying that all RP has to be in the easily trollable public spaces. It'd just be a good idea to head out to the Carrick cantina every so often, see if we can't attract some new blood :).
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas