BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Idea: Weekly RP-PvP Event  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Nicohlas

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
Idea: Weekly RP-PvP Event
« on: 07/16/16, 07:32:22 PM »
0 Show voters
I'm digging Zmaj's (Aliana's) effort to revitalize fleet RP and it got me thinking. The more dynamic and varied we make the RP experience on the server, the more likely we are to generate and retain interest in SWTOR RP. Dancer's Palace is a nice, relaxed, "get-together" standard weekly event. Fleet RP is very dynamic, you never really know what you are going to get. I've considered my guild (<Imperial War Ministry>) and I may have something to offer to contribute to the revitalization and variation of Begeren RP.

My idea is to use the KotFE story as a backdrop for a weekly RP-PvP event to be held at our guild SH.  The event would be a PvP tournament with a strong RP backdrop.  The event would be open to the entire RP community (and prospectively all other players). I'm brainstorming with some friends for a system to accomodate both seasoned PvPers, geared and leveled for a standard duel, as well as a roll system for the less PvP-inclined individuals. Prizes would be granted at each event which are sure to keep people coming back.

Your thoughts?

Working Title: Imperial Victory Tournament

RP Background: In an effort to rally Imperial and allied support for their unsanctioned covert military campaign against the Eternal Empire, Imperial Wild Space Command has begun hosting weekly one-on-one gladiatorial competitions to foster solidarity and boost morale among prospective allies.

Attention Imperial citizens and allies!  Imperial Wild Space Command is hosting weekly gladiatorial arena fights at its Yavin IV headquarters, Camp Resolve.  Send your organizationís best champions to fight in a friendly contest to display the might of Imperial military forces!

Who: This event is open to all Imperial faction players.  While principally for members of the BC RP community, opening this event to the public may encourage more participation in other RP activities.

What: The event is a weekly one-on-one PvP tournament.

When: The event will be held weekly on [day] at [time].

Where: Camp Resolve, Yavin IV (<Imperial War Ministry>ís Yavin IV stronghold).  We have a Yavin Combat Arena decoration placed on the far east side of the stronghold where the fights will be held.

Why: To add some variation to the types of RP events hosted by the community to enhance the appeal of RP to a wider audience.

How: Three fights of two different types will be held

The first three fights will be executed in accordance with the BC.org Base 100 System.  These fights are intended for the more RP-inclined players who may not have the experience or gear to participate in the standard duel.  Prizes are awarded as follow; 3rd place: 5,000 credits; 2nd place: 10,000 credits; 1st place 50,000 credits.

The final three fights will be conducted as standard duels.  Two players within three levels and 500 experience points of one another may participate. Prizes are; 3rd place: 100,000 credits; 2nd place: Grand Chance Cube; 1st place: Cartel Market pack.
« Last Edit: 07/17/16, 03:31:27 PM by Nicohlas »

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Weekly RP-PvP Event
« Reply #1 on: 07/16/16, 07:58:32 PM »
0 Show voters
My Operative is down for the PvP duels. :)

Offline Nicohlas

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/16/16, 08:02:30 PM »
0 Show voters
@Sebrik We're talkin' the former Imp pilot who got caught on camera?

Offline SquigglyV

• Don't you wish you shot like a girl?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/16/16, 08:37:30 PM »
0 Show voters
RP and PvP really never go well together in my experience, since a character's skill or power ICly is usually completely different than the player's skill in PvP/dueling. And rolls are literally literally hitler as well, since a character's ability is generally even further away from their luck than it is from their PvP skill. Especially if they don't say their prayers to RNGsus beforehand.

That being said, I think it sounds like a lot of fun anyway because reasons. I'll have to dig up my old PvP sets so I can brag about having an Obroan set pretend that I know what i'm doing tho. My special forces ladies would probably be a perfect fit as well, even though I am horrible at most of their classes in dueling.

And if you need prizes or something, I have a lot of sometimes-valuable crap in my legacy bay that may or may not work. Assuming I can actually trade stuff without a subscription, at least.

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/16/16, 09:13:17 PM »
0 Show voters
@Sebrik We're talkin' the former Imp pilot who got caught on camera?

No, Stun-locked.  My PvP main.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/16/16, 09:55:11 PM »
0 Show voters
I've seen people run successful "fight club" styles for awhile, with varying results of success depending on how "big" they tried to make it or how often.

Karmic isn't the PVP type but she'd watch if there were spectators.

There have also of course been more plot-driven specific RP-PVP "probably going to happen" events live in game - but those are not (to my knowledge, I never went...) based on ooc game gear.

So depends on how far to each end you want to make the "Pvp" vs. "RP" aspect of the fights that will determine which crowds end up gathering/watching vs. actually "participating" and how...their behavior may go from there.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Nicohlas

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/17/16, 02:33:57 PM »
0 Show voters
@Sebrik , I know you to be an avid PvPer. I'll be interested in your feedback on the event mechanics which I'll endeavor to post here soon.

Offline Nicohlas

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/17/16, 03:32:32 PM »
0 Show voters
Original post modified with additional details. What I'm interested in hearing from the avid PvPers is how the PvP mechanics of an event like this should work. How many fights, how to conduct them, rules, prizes, etc.

Thanks.

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/17/16, 08:03:56 PM »
0 Show voters
You may also want to decide on those "first three RP fights" - how many rolls will a fight last?  Or am I misunderstanding how you are using the /100 system?

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/18/16, 01:31:34 AM »
0 Show voters
He means like actual PVP. Using the duel system.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Philla Kasan (29, Captain, 51st Recon)

Offline Calphayus

• A'rro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/18/16, 01:45:25 AM »
0 Show voters
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Your future becomes ever bleaker, while I grow stronger!

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07/18/16, 11:18:01 AM »
0 Show voters
He means like actual PVP. Using the duel system.

Well that isn't what this says ::: (quoted from first post)

How: Three fights of two different types will be held

The first three fights will be executed in accordance with the BC.org Base 100 System.  These fights are intended for the more RP-inclined players who may not have the experience or gear to participate in the standard duel.  Prizes are awarded as follow; 3rd place: 5,000 credits; 2nd place: 10,000 credits; 1st place 50,000 credits.

The final three fights will be conducted as standard duels.  Two players within three levels and 500 experience points of one another may participate. Prizes are; 3rd place: 100,000 credits; 2nd place: Grand Chance Cube; 1st place: Cartel Market pack.

First three - NOT PVP DUELS.

Hence why I asked for clarification.  Because RP /roll 100 fights can last a long time between two people.  Like, even when "limited" going for an Hour is very easy to do. 

He's wanting THREE?!  I know people aren't  going to be there for 4 hours =D. 

~~~

Back the last time someone did this they kept it to two RP-PVP fights, each fight took about 45 minutes to play out with RP and Random Rolling system.  They held it about once a month.

And quickly found themselves out of regular participants willing to fight.  Watching the same 5 characters fight isn't as fun after you do it two or three times :).

I hope you guys have more luck!  May need to be less often to do so - like I said, just depends on the population and how many want to sign their characters up for each type of fight!

I'll be there to spectate and cheer or boo....as the case may be :).
« Last Edit: 07/18/16, 11:22:23 AM by Karmic »

Offline Elym

• pedantic but generally okay
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07/18/16, 12:36:52 PM »
0 Show voters
I personally would mind fights done via roll to be shortened to 15 mins, as a potential participant. Taking longer to add colour/actually lose all your HP works for an adventure event but these should be a little faster paced. Perhaps we can modify the system to suit the event?

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07/18/16, 02:40:46 PM »
0 Show voters
I personally would mind fights done via roll to be shortened to 15 mins, as a potential participant. Taking longer to add colour/actually lose all your HP works for an adventure event but these should be a little faster paced. Perhaps we can modify the system to suit the event?

*nod nod*

Hence why I had said perhaps a "roll number" limit.  As in, each person gets 3 rolls, or 2 rolls. The RP would be between the rolls, and then the decider being who got best of three or...what the last roll was..or..well whatever.

Only reason I suggest that rather than a physical "time" limit (more a guestimate on how many posts/rolls 20 minutes would take...) is because people type at various speeds and often times there may be some ooc back and forth in whispers before someone actually posts the attack/defense/whatever.  15 minutes of Active RP time could literally end up being each person hits the other person once (Or one person got two roll sin) and then bam done.

Not really a fight xD.  A KNOCKOUT EVERYTIME!  :grin:

Whereas if its "ok you each get to roll and respond to the roll 3 times and then WINNER!" (whether again its best 2 out of 3 rolls or the last roll decides or...whatever). 

The Previous Fight Club Event I mentioned would just have the players have their final attack/counter at about the 30 minute mark making them wrap it up in about 40 ish minutes.  I know there are still a couple of people around here (Quar I think was one..on another charater?) who fought during that fight club they could perhaps tell you how they worked that behind the scenes as all the spectators saw was how it played out.  I also know some people just decided before the fight (in whispers/ooc/voice whatever) who was going to win and then just played out the back and forth for 30- minutes before delivering the final blow.

Hence why RP fighting gets more complicated, even when trying to keep it short and sweet.

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/18/16, 02:46:34 PM »
0 Show voters

*nod nod*

Hence why I had said perhaps a "roll number" limit.  As in, each person gets 3 rolls, or 2 rolls. The RP would be between the rolls, and then the decider being who got best of three or...what the last roll was..or..well whatever.

Only reason I suggest that rather than a physical "time" limit (more a guestimate on how many posts/rolls 20 minutes would take...) is because people type at various speeds and often times there may be some ooc back and forth in whispers before someone actually posts the attack/defense/whatever.  15 minutes of Active RP time could literally end up being each person hits the other person once (Or one person got two roll sin) and then bam done.

Not really a fight xD.  A KNOCKOUT EVERYTIME!  :grin:

Whereas if its "ok you each get to roll and respond to the roll 3 times and then WINNER!" (whether again its best 2 out of 3 rolls or the last roll decides or...whatever). 

The Previous Fight Club Event I mentioned would just have the players have their final attack/counter at about the 30 minute mark making them wrap it up in about 40 ish minutes.  I know there are still a couple of people around here (Quar I think was one..on another charater?) who fought during that fight club they could perhaps tell you how they worked that behind the scenes as all the spectators saw was how it played out.  I also know some people just decided before the fight (in whispers/ooc/voice whatever) who was going to win and then just played out the back and forth for 30- minutes before delivering the final blow.

Hence why RP fighting gets more complicated, even when trying to keep it short and sweet.

I remember the Fight Night.  IIRC, a lot of the times, contestants were in our voice channel in Raidcall, and sort of discussing the rolls and moves as they were doing it.