BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

February 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Feb 22: Jedi kNight (7:30 PST) + Council Meeting
Feb 23: Dancer's Palace 9pm PST
Feb 26: Return to Rishi - Indie Night (6:30)
Feb 26: Mare'cye'tuur - A Very Mando Winter Solstice (6:30
Mar 1: Jedi Night (7:30 PM)
Mar 1: Mei Dei

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: 5.X Patchnotes, Updates, Guides, etc...  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
5.X Patchnotes, Updates, Guides, etc...
« on: 12/08/16, 08:18:59 AM »
0 Show voters
Well, I didn't seen any evidence that this thread existed already so here we go. :D

I'm not really playing the game anymore, but I did start logging in to sell off the stuff in my cargo bays. As usual, the GTN called and I started purchasing (affordable) decorations that I had missed. Then I hopped over to Dulfy and saw the next pack preview. *shakes fist* Arg Dulfy! You aren't supposed to make me want to hang around.

SWTOR Upcoming Items from Patch 5.0 V3

Arrangement: Zakuulan Luxury Lounge
Altar of the Voss Mystics
Banner: Voss-Ka (Standing)
Luxury Wall Sconce I believe they have once again created a decoration that shares a name with a different decoration. The original Luxury Wall Sconce can be purchased from one of those bundles on the CM and goes with the Makeb decorations.
Voss Rug (Red)
Voss-Ka Sculpture
Zakuulan Arbor Arrangement
Zakuulan Fountain

On a side note, looks like there will be far more direct purchases than usual. I think that's a good idea right now. I hope they stop RNGing players to death.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Online SquigglyV

• Don't you wish you shot like a girl?
    • View Profile
Re: 5.X Patchnotes, Updates, Guides, etc...
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/16, 08:48:52 AM »
0 Show voters
Honestly I prefer RNG over direct purchase in this game, mostly because the direct purchase stuff is ridiculously overpriced. It's really unlikely that non-subs will ever get 1400 cartel coins and that's a hilariously high price for currency you can't get without paying anyway. So pricing stuff that high means very few people will get it, the ones who do won't sell it because it was so much, and if they do sell it for some reason then it'll be for millions of credits. Or in other words it may as well be unobtainable.

I am hyped for the trash bin though.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/08/16, 09:05:42 AM »
0 Show voters
Honestly I prefer RNG over direct purchase in this game, mostly because the direct purchase stuff is ridiculously overpriced. It's really unlikely that non-subs will ever get 1400 cartel coins and that's a hilariously high price for currency you can't get without paying anyway. So pricing stuff that high means very few people will get it, the ones who do won't sell it because it was so much, and if they do sell it for some reason then it'll be for millions of credits. Or in other words it may as well be unobtainable.

I am hyped for the trash bin though.

You do realize that the items aren't priced much more than a 5 pack of RNG boxes.

The direct purchase stuff is exactly in line with every other MMO store out there. Mounts/Outfits at 15-20 bucks.  1400 points is 12 bucks.

That' exactly inline with the price of these items in other MMO games.  Its not overpriced at all.

Compared to spending 1k on RNG boxes that may give you not a single thing that you want, a single "new" item, or even a single thing worth anything at all?? 

Non-subs are the ones buying the RNG boxes in 50 packs too; as much *possibly more* than Subbers because instead of paying 15 for the game they pay 15 for RNG boxes.  It blows my mind anyone would spend IRL money for 50 rng packs but people are doing it all over the place! =D

Its not "unobtainable" at all.  And not everything from the store is million of credits (though yes if you spend 1400CC then its millions of credits at least to start - that isn't necessarily true for everything - esp. mounts and pets).

There's a trashbin on the GTN right now for 300K.  Just saying :).

Much prefer direct purchase because I won't waste 50 cents (or even the free CC for being a subber) on RNG boxes that won't even guarantee me a new item.  At least the old RNG boxes did that.  The new ones don't even do that.  I"ll spend 5 or 10 bucks all day long for an outfit or decoration before I'll drop free coins on the 90% chance I get nothing worth anything. 

I think more of a mix of the direct buy to the RNG (even stuff from the RNG boxes being available RNG AND direct purchase!) would really get them more cash because of drawing more from BOTH sides of the line instead of just 90% RNG and only occasionally giving other people something to spend IRL money on.

I mean seriously you can buy a 200credit bed (which is like 2 bucks) as well as a crapton of other items and raise yourself 10 million CC coins in two weeks to buy anything you want if you spent 5-10 bucks of IRL money.  (The Black Bed as well as many of the other old decoration items that are less than 300CC regulary go for several million on the GTN still.  Same with the luxury lights at like 200cc or less.)

And any holiday direct-buy item you spend 200CC or less on (or the paintings for 1K), sit on it a month and flip it for several million once the store stops selling it.

The bigger issue non-subs have is that credit cap.  Meaning that if you don't sub you won't ever have that money in hand to buy those items - even if you have 10 million behind the credit cap.  Leaving these people *no choice* but to use IRL money in game to buy things, or to just sub.  Which - is the point!

But the direct buy is not a ripoff - its comparable to the rest of the genre.
« Last Edit: 12/08/16, 09:09:55 AM by Karmic »

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/08/16, 09:22:16 AM »
0 Show voters
RNG actually is more overpriced. If you don't happen to get what yo need in a pack, you have to buy another one until you get the thing. If you have bad rolls that could force you to keep buying well past the amount of a direct sale.

Keep in mind that to get any item you are most likely going to have to buy more than one pack. It's less expensive to buy in bulk than individually, so let's look at the price, without discounts, for the Supercrate and the Hypercrate. Supercrates for the Oppressor Pack are 1,500 CC for 5 crates; Hypercrates for the Oppressor Pack are 7,000 CC for 26 crates.

Now if you get the item you want, you have just spent more than 1,400 CC either way. If you didn't get what you wanted, you have to do that dance all over again. To buy an item from the GTN someone has to do this dance. If they do, you can bet the item will be overpriced on the GTN, especially on our server which has low GTN competition and high prices.

Online SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/08/16, 09:33:03 AM »
0 Show voters
So what if every other MMO does it? They all have better fashion systems so it's less of a ripoff to buy overpriced cosmetics compared to SWTOR where you can use the skins exactly once without paying even more cartel coins.

Plus even the rarest items in packs are still way cheaper than direct purchase armour, especially since nobody ever sells them. When was the last time you saw a bowcaster on the GTN? Or all the nice class armour sets? Or even the decoration essential bundles? I didn't even see bowcasters when they were on sale for 50 coins like a year ago, let alone any other time. Zakuul Knight armour is the only one i've ever seen and it was maybe 15 million per part when I looked.

I still prefer RNG because there's at least a chance, however tiny, of me getting something decent. Meanwhile with the direct purchase stuff my chance is 0 because I will never have 1400 cartel coins to spend.

Is there a reason why they can't put them in packs and on the market?

And that trash bin is weird looking.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/08/16, 09:57:57 AM »
0 Show voters
RNG does not mean without Cartel Coin Cost, Squiggly. Someone has to pay that cost whether you do or not, and the more money spent getting gamble boxes the more money will be charged in credits for an item.

I don't know about the class armor sets, as I never look for them, but back when there were more players around everything used to show up on the GTN more, including the Bowcaster. In fact, I bought more than a few decoration bundle items off the GTN, like Jessak's Office bed, and they used to sell the whole bundles too. In fact there were a lot more of Thexan's armor on the GTN right after this last time it went on sale. Direct sale items go to the GTN just fine, the problem is that there are fewer players willing to spend their money to do it.

No matter how you slice it you are getting over charged, but when they RNG stuff too much it alienates most players because they can see how they are getting overcharged more times over. Then players leave, competition on the GTN goes down, and credit prices skyrocket.

Yes, a certain amount of RNG means that people will have items they need to dump, but that means they got a bunch of things they weren't after. Someone is still losing even if you get an item you are personally after. I think RNG should be used in moderation.

Online SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/08/16, 10:23:51 AM »
0 Show voters
I think it's going to alienate people either way. Both systems are honestly terrible, the armour should be available through in-game content or currency imo instead of microtransactions.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/08/16, 10:29:32 AM »
0 Show voters
True, but this is a business. If nothing else, they need money to pay for those cinematic they keep making with each expansion, and to cover for the loss of previous subs. What I think they need to do is stop trying to manipulate the player psyche to squeeze extra money out of people and just be straight forward. Direct sales are a start in that direction, let's see if they hold steady in that. I doubt it.

Online SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/08/16, 10:41:12 AM »
0 Show voters
If they want money, they should make their game good enough that people will pay for it.

Also the 5th anniversary stuff starts on the 13th! There are some nice poster decorations and hopefully the vendor from previous years will be up again too. http://www.swtor.com/swtor5/rewards

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12/08/16, 10:42:40 AM »
0 Show voters
I think it's going to alienate people either way. Both systems are honestly terrible, the armour should be available through in-game content or currency imo instead of microtransactions.

Oh quite agree with you there.

I also agree as you said - do both! (Which is what I guess they are doing technically just not both every release LOL).

So what if every other MMO does it?

I didn't say I liked it. I just said its how the system works.  SWTOR isn't going to put up things overly priced out of the rest of the genre or overly cheap either.  They aren't suddenly going to put up outfits for 1 dollar if every other MMO can get 5 for their outfits.  They aren't going to sell a companion pet for 5 bucks if a pet cost 10-20 in another MMO.  That's just not how it works.

You claimed they were overpriced - and I was giving you the comparison saying they aren't any more priced than other games.

They all have better fashion systems so it's less of a ripoff to buy overpriced cosmetics compared to SWTOR where you can use the skins exactly once without paying even more cartel coins.

Sorry that's also not really true. Unlocking things per character vs. per account varies by games - other games do it like SWTOR (they charge for an outfit/mount/wahtever and then have an additional charge if you want to unlock it for alts) and some games let you do account-wide with any purchase (like Blizz).

And I have games where their outfits are cheaper (because they sell them per piece - so buy a shirt for X amount and pants for Y amount, but not just the whole outfit for Z..), but you still have to pay extra to unlock them for more than one character. *shrugs*

Plus even the rarest items in packs are still way cheaper than direct purchase armour, especially since nobody ever sells them.

This is just bullcrap and not held up under actual GTN statistics.  I've watched the GTN daily since um... the game started.

Rarest items in the pack regularly go on the GTN for 20-30 million plus - and that's NOT the armor pieces. That isn't even CC market pieces - that can be raid drop too!!! Plenty of old pack decorations that were rare drops go for that too.  I flipped two Spas for 20-30 million (and I bought them off the GTN for 1-2 million each when they were current).

All the nice class armor sets are there - they aren't there every day - no, but if you keep checking you'll find it there eventually.  (If it is still aquireable...). It may be priced waaayyy too high, but its there.  Even if it was 50 cents of IRL money, or only dropped in game (as many of the 10+ million priced raid items are) - if someoen can get 2 milion for a shirt they aren't going to sell it for 200K unless they just don't know.

Decoration essential bundles?  Those are all there.  Their pieces, individually, all there.  Daily? Not always - but very common.  Its not daily because people don't *want* them as much because they are *old*.  And *cheap* (you're talking 1-2 dollars per piece).  And not as nice as what you can get now (most of it).

You obviously aren't looking very often I see every set you can think of from the CM on the GTN constantly.   Are they outrageously overpriced? Yes they are, but they are there.   But keep watching - prices change, parts get cheaper, someone puts something up on accident or doesn't realize they've just way underpriced it (happens constantly). 

And Armor is consistently *wanted*, unlike decorations or pets.  Not everyone has a SH or cares about decorations.  Not everyone cares about pets or mounts - but most players do care about wanting their character to look a certain way.  Armor is one of the only things you can definitely get that "big Credit return" on on the GTN even if you take six months to sell it because *someone* eventually will want that outfit.  Most decorations you can't get direct buy (its only rng packs) and if you can't get the exact table you want for 10 million there's 15 other tables that work for under 500K (for example).  In addition to it just not being as "big demand" popular as armor sets.

Whereas if you want Darth BigGuy Sith Helmet - no other Sith helmet will work "almost as well."

So Armor specifically is its own beast as far as why things are so expensive (and will always be so on an RP server - esp. outfits!) BUT supply and demand.  You don't see XYZ outfit as often because it hasn't been sold in an RNG pack in six months - so what you do see will be waayyy over what you could have bought it for 3 weeks after the pack was launched and still being sold.

If you are looking for something that is part of an *old pack* and *no longer directly bought in any form* on the GTN - THAT is where you have issues finding the item, or finding the item at a reasonable price.  Everything else is up there all the time, every month usually.  Its very rare I see a decoration or outfit piece I've not seen 10 times in 2 weeks.    The Bowcaster fits (is it still for sale?) that. 

Though honestly if something is 2-300CC that you want Squigg why aren't you asking the rest of us?  Seriously? I have 1500 free CC coins I'd be happy to give you an item that's a couple hundred CC and you can pay me in game credits for it in stead - I'd much rather have the in game credits! :)  I know other people here would do that for ya.

As for "people who never have 1400 credits to spend."  You're in the minority dear.  Most people have 10 dollars to spend on something if they want it bad enough.  That includes pixels. 

I hate IRL markets for anything in game - I don't mind it as much for fluff.  But I detest the systems I can't just buy what I want directly out of - RNG is a waste.

If you stopped spending 200CC on a single RNG pack for 4 weeks you'd have enough to direct buy any armor set you want.
If you can buy a 5 pack for 1200CC you can buy an outfit/mount/whatever you want for 1400 CC.
Or just sit and wait for it to go on sale (everything has gone on sale at one point or another).

But seriously if there's something outrageously expensive you want I can at least keep an eye out for it on the cheap off the GTN LOL.  Its really not hard to find things.

((And I agree with you on making a game worth paying for...but that's not the direction they are going)).
« Last Edit: 12/08/16, 10:48:07 AM by Karmic »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/08/16, 10:50:47 AM »
0 Show voters
Please help me find Arrangement: Czerka Food Vendors Karmic. They are so far above my credit cap, but I technically have the money. :cry: The irritating part is that I have more than enough to buy them sitting in escrow too, but oh well. :sigh:

Stupid, nice decorations making me want them on general principle. :shifty:
« Last Edit: 12/08/16, 10:56:32 AM by Imazi »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/08/16, 11:22:41 AM »
+1 Show voters
Yes, it's terribly inconvenient that servers, programmers, designers, artists, QA, management, CS, writers and such need to be paid in money and can't subsist alone on the majesty that is creative expression.

SWTOR cannot survive alone on subscription fees. Everyone would rather that it could, it makes monetization so much simpler just because you don't have to cut out content so that you can sell it to the players, but they tried that, and it wasn't enough to keep the game profitable.

I have my issues with SWTOR's pricing schemes. It's the usual "You could probably make 50% more money if you halved the prices" thing, but I don't have the data, presumably they do. But the simple fact of the matter is that using Gachapon that contains fungible items is actually a pretty player-friendly and effective monetization model (compared to all the others).

It allows players with a lot of disposable income to spend as much as they want in search for those high-value items. It allows them to then turn around and sell unwanted items to those that are unable or unwilling to spend their real-world money. It also allows for a low price point, so that you don't have to go all in on a $16 outfit, instead just buying a ~$2.25 box that might have the stuff you want.

That said, variety is nice too. Having some direct-purchasable items in conjunction with the gachapon can give players a choice, but you're not going to see

Look, at the end of the day, the goal isn't to find the ideal possible monetization option, just the least bad one. And yeah, job #1? That's making enough money to keep the game running with a bit of profit to kick back to shareholders and reassure them that the money wouldn't be better spent elsewhere.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Online SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12/08/16, 11:33:23 AM »
0 Show voters
I used to watch the GTN like a hawk on two different servers and i've still never seen a single piece of most direct purchase armour sets (Clandestine Officer, etc).  It took me a full year to obtain the Malevolent Interrogator set because nobody sells it on Jedi Covenant or Begeren Colony! And that was long before the game's population started dropping.

Plus I would ask people if there was anything I particularly wanted. In fact, I put up a post semi-recently looking for a Secret Agent's jacket because I haven't seen one for sale before. I still haven't found one though, I guess it's too late since the pack came out a few months ago already. :/

Also @Imazi this might not help if your credits are in escrow already but you can bypass the limit with a private guild bank and a subscribed friend. Get them to send you a CoD mail to deposit and ask them to buy anything that's over 350k using the bank funds. It's like having your own personal GTN broker!

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12/08/16, 12:02:25 PM »
0 Show voters
I used to watch the GTN like a hawk on two different servers and i've still never seen a single piece of most direct purchase armour sets (Clandestine Officer, etc).  It took me a full year to obtain the Malevolent Interrogator set because nobody sells it on Jedi Covenant or Begeren Colony! And that was long before the game's population started dropping.

So wierd because I see them everytime I look - BUT I do usually try to look for only the more current sets because I know if I find one that's older it will be wayyyyy out of my price range =D. 

Plus I would ask people if there was anything I particularly wanted. In fact, I put up a post semi-recently looking for a Secret Agent's jacket because I haven't seen one for sale before. I still haven't found one though, I guess it's too late since the pack came out a few months ago already. :/

Yup I saw it!  I have seen it up - but yea not really looked since the pack was live.  At that time it was 3-5+ million.  I can keep lookin' if you like - but is price not a consideration? LOL

I'm figuring the armor gear sells faster, more reliably and clearly people aren't sitting on bonus-extras from RNG packs they dont' care about because they dont' drop in RNG packs!  As opposed to the 25 Rng-box-set where you can easily get all types of crap you don't care about.  And it looks like in the decoration category most people selling have figuring out the "sit on it a few months and flip it later" scheme too.  Whereas in armor sets you can cash in on millions immediately - making them harder to find later because there's less incentive to sit on them.

Also @Imazi this might not help if your credits are in escrow already but you can bypass the limit with a private guild bank and a subscribed friend. Get them to send you a CoD mail to deposit and ask them to buy anything that's over 350k using the bank funds. It's like having your own personal GTN broker!

Ooh... I didn't know that.
« Last Edit: 12/08/16, 12:05:23 PM by Karmic »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12/08/16, 12:11:23 PM »
0 Show voters
It's because of population on those servers more than likely. You need a lot more players to have a good chance to find specific items. Try looking on Harbinger.

However, I guess I should ask for a sub to help again. At this rate it's probably the only way I'll get things. The GTN prices exploded while I was gone. Fortunately, that also means that stuff I bought in the past for 5k now sells for 100k.

@Karmic, yeah, COD is one of the few ways a non sub player can move money around.

However, I love the irony of how the game tries to squeeze you for all it's worth then unintentionally promises to essentially give the expansion away because someone won't look closely at their own fine print. :lol: