BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

August 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Aug 23: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 23: Jedi Night: Mahara Kesh - 7:30 PM PST
Aug 25: Port of Call: Aaand... Sold!

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: 5.X Patchnotes, Updates, Guides, etc...  (Read 8744 times)

Offline SquigglyV

• Together we stand. Divided we ambush.
    • View Profile
Re: 5.X Patchnotes, Updates, Guides, etc...
« Reply #165 on: 02/10/18, 07:08:36 PM »
0 Show voters
I noticed that too. I think those are heroic missions or side quests for the opposite faction, because most of the ones i've seen are in areas where I know there's a heroic, but maybe it does apply to class instances too.

I know an easy one to check so i'll report back on that in a few minutes.

edit: It does indeed apply to all phases. That's a weird change, it doesn't affect anything so why bother?
« Last Edit: 02/10/18, 07:11:57 PM by SquigglyV »

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 02/10/18, 07:14:53 PM »
0 Show voters
I keep seeing Instances labeled as "Imperial Faction" when I'm on my Republic character. Do they no longer display the specific Class Instance anymore?

... and confirmed. It now says Imperial Agent when I'm on my Imperial character. So now world map exploration to find role-play locations is even more opaque.

Thanks BioWare?
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 02/10/18, 07:17:26 PM »
0 Show voters
I don't think you can get into those instances without being on the right mission anyway tho. So it's probably not a big deal.

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 02/10/18, 07:20:21 PM »
0 Show voters
I don't think you can get into those instances without being on the right mission anyway tho. So it's probably not a big deal.

You are correct, you need to be on the right mission.

However, when exploring, you may discover an Instance for one of your other classes you haven't played through, so you previously would have know if you have an active Class that can play it. Now if you are on the opposing Faction, unless you remember the specific mission, you have no way to know which Class it pertains to.

It is a big deal in that it removes information to make game play easier for those pesky nuisances... the players.
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 02/10/18, 09:13:44 PM »
0 Show voters
Mmm, that's one interpretation, Jaade.

Another is that it's pro-player: Players doing, say, their Smuggler story aren't spoiled at where the Trooper story would eventually go. All they see is "Republic instance". May sound silly, but I've found myself pulled out of the story at points by remembering "oh, right, that zone's where I'm supposed to go".
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 02/10/18, 11:08:00 PM »
+2 Show voters
I understand that perspective Orell.

Just as I understand the game design and story-related reasons why they use Instances to control game play and ensure everyone gets to play their individual story in a shared world environment.

However, for me, the number of times my immersion has been broken when I've been exploring a really well designed area of the map, perhaps a cave, or a base, or just some raw wilderness, and they let me most of the way inside, and then I hit the force field of game breakage.

Instances have never been Pro-Player for me. They've prevented me from playing the game beyond just as a CRPG, and instead playing it as a true RPG.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 03/05/18, 09:06:49 PM »
0 Show voters
Not technically a patch note, but I just noticed these Conquest changes on the DevTracker that are exciting.
  • "Completing objectives will now award credits, experience points, and Command Experience in addition to their Conquest points."
  • "On the Guild Conquest front, we have gone even further on changes. We have untied the Guild rewards from the Conquest leaderboards, with the exception of the Guild in first place as they will still receive the Conqueror title and planetary bonuses."
  • Can't find a perfect quote for this, but they're making it so what planet you're camped out over makes your threshold for Conquest completion different, so you can choose to go for small, medium, or high challenges based on what you think you'll be able to accomplish as a guild.
It looks like this is a solution for the merge making leaderboards pretty impossible for most of the community. Awesome!
« Last Edit: 03/05/18, 09:17:20 PM by Noth »
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 03/05/18, 10:37:56 PM »
0 Show voters
finally!

Ever since the merge placing on a leaderboard is just laughable for anything but hyperconglomerate MegaCorp superguilds. It will be nice to be able to do guild things!
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat cælum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline NovaZero

• Life is the enemy, Death is our solace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 03/10/18, 02:58:55 AM »
0 Show voters
So if I'm understanding this correctly, there's actually an incentive for conquests outside of bragging rights?
Heads up! Most of my roleplay is done over Discord!

Hit me up there if you're keen!
Check profile for plot.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 03/19/18, 10:28:33 AM »
0 Show voters
We can has patch notes: http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/3202018/game-update-5.8

Some highlights I noted...

• The Mirialan ability “Focusing Ritual” now restores all Class resources when used. (Mirialans are now OP!)
  • All planets now fall into one of three Invasion Targets for Strongholds. Planets with lower Invasion Targets require a smaller amount of Conquest points to complete and give smaller rewards. High Invasion Target planets require a large amount of Conquest points and give the largest reward. (Didn't know this was coming, it's a great idea to give smaller guilds something to aim for)
  • The visuals for various Classes “flurry” attacks have been updated to be more accurate with their scrolling combat text, hits, and misses. (...I'm just kinda curious how this'll look now)
  • To assist in combating credit inflation, the Galactic Trade Network’s tax rate has been increased to 8% (up from 6%) (...heh, cute way of messaging a nerf)
  • Companion Romance: Arcann - A redeemed Arcann makes his feelings known to those who’ve given him a chance to atone for the evil deeds of his past. (...god damn it, Arcann's gonna come onto Story!Shaantil, isn't he? She only has thighs for Lana, damn it!)
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Offline SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 03/19/18, 11:05:33 AM »
0 Show voters
Companion Return: Ashara Zavros - She will return to the Sith Inquisitor’s side, how will things go with her former master?

bitch if you still won't go dark side when this update comes out i swear i'll tear your montrals off

Anyway, can someone explain how slightly increasing the GTN tax rate will do anything? It seems kind of insignificant.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 03/19/18, 11:35:24 AM »
0 Show voters
bitch if you still won't go dark side when this update comes out i swear i'll tear your montrals off

Because how dare characters have non-standard character arcs and take things in their own directions.

Give the character some room to breathe already, dude. She's a far, far more interesting character than Dark Side "I made you a robe out of the skin of orphaned puppies" Jaesa is.
Character List:

Offline SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 03/19/18, 11:41:32 AM »
0 Show voters
I don't mind if that's an option. I do mind that we're absolutely forced to take her as is though, and there isn't even the option to make her fit alongside a fully dark-sided Sith at all.

It's the same problem as Gault for bounty hunters. He's not a bad character at all, I just want to complete the damn contract properly ffs. I don't need another dps companion.
« Last Edit: 03/19/18, 11:44:18 AM by SquigglyV »

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 03/19/18, 11:53:02 AM »
+1 Show voters
Anyway, can someone explain how slightly increasing the GTN tax rate will do anything? It seems kind of insignificant.

I don't play anymore so I've not spoken to market friends for quite a while, so these numbers will be quite inaccurate.

But say for example, 100 billion credits move through the GTN yearly. 

Previously, at a 6% tax rate, the GTN removes 6,000,000,000 (100,000,000,000 * 0.6) credits from the game each year.

At 8%, the GTN now removes 8,000,000,000 (100,000,000,000 * 0.8) credits yearly. 

The idea is to make it feel slightly insignificant, except now 2billion more credits per every 100billion are now gone.  The economy in this game was royally fucked up years ago.  Bioware were too scared to rollback immediately and the players faced the consequences.  Credits mean nothing now.

But if all of a sudden they tried to up the tax rate to 50%, no one would play anymore.  You could try to explain that yes, inflation would begin to reverse, but no one would want to use the GTN anymore.  No one -really- cares about a 2% increase because it doesn't affect anyone that greatly.  If Bioware is clever though, they'll be implementing more credit sinks, as this is the only way to combat the ever-decreasing value of credits.

So yes, insignificant to individuals, but we should expect more sinks along with it.

Also, as a fun fact, 2billion credits is about $10,000 irl.  (Credit sites vary greatly in their prices but on average you can find $5 per 1mil)
« Last Edit: 03/19/18, 12:11:08 PM by Sebrik »

Offline SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 03/19/18, 12:14:10 PM »
0 Show voters
I guess that makes sense. I hope we do get more neat things to spend credits on, like decorations or outfits.

And apparently I could buy a phone with all of my SWTOR money lol.