BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

October 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Oct 18: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Oct 25: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Enemies in the Dark  (Read 777 times)

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
Enemies in the Dark
« on: 04/15/17, 06:51:08 PM »
So this is a thread for @LVT and @masterzw342 which is pretty much a culmination to a feud between the Viper, and that notorious pirate of the Maw, Shaan. Through shady secret dealings in a Nar Shaddaa cantina, Shaan has recruited the help of the infamous Colonel Exephos to bring an end to the vigilante of the smuggler's moon. It comes down to him to ward off, in the deep underbelly of the criminal world, the enemies in the dark.

Exephos warily scanned the dim street for anyone that looked remotely out of place. Beaten down workers, slave-collared Evocii and brutish foremen were the only ones he saw. Satisfied that he had not been followed, he ducked inside the hostel where he was staying. A small, dingy establishment where those looking for a place of quiet and privacy could take shelter. There were perhaps a million such small-time places to stay on the moon, though this one was a bit special. It advertised itself, discreetly, to a very specific kind of customer. The sort that would want soundproofing built into the walls, and bug sweeps done when the rooms were cleaned. Espionage was a thriving trade on Nar Shaddaa, and that made places of counter-espionage just as profitable. This was the 'Hunter's Den', a hostel favored by a higher-caliber of bounty hunters, gun for hires, and covert operators.
Even the diminutive land-lady behind the counter wasn't suspect, Exephos knew personally that she was an ex-assassin that used to be in the employ of the Hutts, and that she wore a dart launcher on her wrist, capable of shooting a lethal toxin through clothing and armour.
He'd come across this place back in his Spec-Force days. Every now and then, they'd needed to visit the planet 'off-the-books'. When they did, they came here. No-one asked any questions in a place like this, there was too much of a professional courtesy for that. Plus if you did give away secrets in a business focused on counter-espionage, then you were usually not long for the galaxy.
After making his way up the narrow staircase, punctuated every few meters by embrasures, he navigated down a corridor to his room, a cramped but clean space with a narrow bunk against one wall, a locker against the other, and a barred window facing out onto the street. Upon closing and locking the door, he pulled out his datapad and began encrypting a message, one that would throw the lower levels of Nar Shaddaa into peril. Once satisfied that it was secure, he sent it off, to the one known as Shaan; the one who'd approached him and recruited his help. As it was transmitted, he took the time to read through it again:

"I am in position, and now ready for the plan outlined previously. Get into touch with your contacts, and begin securing the following items that will be needed if your planning on going toe-to-toe with the Viper.

-Force pikes made of phrik or cortosis
-Ten kilograms of grade 20-25 explosive
-A system slicing kit, capable of patching into Nar Shaddaa's networks

There will be more required in future, but this will be a start. Our first objective is to find the Viper and begin observation. We're looking for habits, routes he might take, regions or people he cares about in particular, allies, disguises, and maybe even the face under the mask. Be discreet, and either use droids or cameras, or a very long distance. He knows what you and I feel like in the Force, and will sense our presence if we get too close. Do not mess this up.
"
Exephos; a haunted war-ravaged veteran.
Shad'ra; an indecisive ex-mandalorian.
Gharzog; a happy-go-lucky gun for hire.

Offline Ash

• View Profile
Re: Enemies in the Dark
« Reply #1 on: 04/15/17, 11:01:07 PM »
High above the skylines of Nar Shaddaa and deep within the coldless void of space, the Nexu's Claw stood idly by above the shimmering lights down below. A ship well within her decades, modified beyond compare to what could only be presumed to be a former cargo ship of some sort. But within its rusted hull, and the peeling paint that bleed into deep space, the bustling hub of the Shaan's den buzzed with artificial life. All manner of cobbled together droids went about their work, tending to every need that the ship desired to maintain the home that was the vicious pirate. And in the center of commotion, sitting by was the Togruta, her frame spread out upon a couch, a drink in hand and a cigar between her lips, green eyes dancing across the screens before her as diagnostics flew by and information held the edges of her gaze. Oblivious to the naked eye, but far more aware than any one man could possibly think.

"...I can hear you rolling up here, babe. You didn't kriffing soil the floor agains, did you?" Shaan suddenly speaks, breaking from her thoughts to slowly turn to look back as the TC droid managed to roll up to the sound of the couch, chirping and tweeting eagerly as it protruded with a small arm her datapad. With a small huff she grabs it from it, pausing briefly to rub the astromech's dome as she scrolled through her newest message, dancing and analyzing each and every word that her new partner had provided for her. With a soft chuckle Shaan looks up to glance back at the droid, setting aside her drink to fondly rub it's circular head, leaving the droid beeping sweetly in response as she spoke to herself.

"Trust a military man to want to cover the basics, ain't that right babe? Wanting to know everything about them, to be them, before shooting a kriffing bolt into their hold. I can respect that, but this isn't the military. There's better ways to lure your prey in then to know everything about them."

With that she picks up her datapad, flickering through her connections and establishing a secure one with Exephos before effortlessly typing back, relaying to him what plans she had to achieve what they both desired.

"Trying to figure out who the Viper is is just a waste of time babe. Not sure if I've communicated it clear enough for you, but I'm a time frame. I've got Hutts wanting my skin and a week before they wise up to put a bounty on my head. I don't have the time to dig up what this sleemo kriffing eats to get ready for this showdown, but luckily I don't have to.

The guy's like any other would be hero in this hellscape. Isn't big on the whole slavery business, wants to do people good, make a impact on people's lives for the better, the whole damn thing. We use that to our advantage. We hit the ones we care about, he'll come to us. We just have to make it something we can't ignore. So here's the deal, babe.

I've got two shells for the nukes that we're going to use to blow this bastard with, but the problem is I don't have the slightest idea how to turn them into functional weapons nor do I have the experience to use them effectively. That's what you're here for. You'll time me what I need, what the hell to do to make them work, and the best way to make this whole thing together and I'll do the rest. I already have a target for the first nuke to tie any loose ends and get his attention, I just need you to help me plan it out to where I'm not there when the bomb goes off, and we lead him on a goose chase that will end with him arriving to the second bomb too late to see it go off. Then we can share the pickings of the kill together and go on our merry way.

I'll get what you need me to get, babe, but we can cut the psychological warfare to get from point A to point B. Pushing people to the edge is my thing, and with what I have in plan, he's all but a bantha under my reigns."
Pub side characters: Ash'ette, Shaan Lix

Imp side characters: Shaan-Lix, Jannet, Priestess Mava

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/16/17, 10:41:10 AM »

Exephos was cleaning and oiling his rotary cannon, individually lubricating each barrel so that it would spin without any issues, when his datapad chirruped; indicating that he'd received a message. Since it was a disposable datapad in which only one person had the contact information, then it could only be Shaan. He finished oiling the rotary assembly and locked it back together before giving it a quick spin to ensure that it was smooth. Satisfied, he set the heavy weapon down before pulling over the pad and reading.
A scowl formed quickly on his face as he read it over. Typical pirate. Rush in without considering all the alternatives. That would leave wiggling room, and for a viper, they only needed the smallest crack to escape. If Shaan was so sure that he would confront her however, then Exephos would oblige though if this fell to pieces, he'd tell her that he told her so. As it was, the proposal of weapons of mass destruction might have been worrying for anyone else, but not himself. He'd seen them used, used them, and had them used against him on the front lines. Chemical missiles that would melt the flesh off bones, archaic nuclear devices capable of turning lush utopias into wastelands, and the latest in conventional explosive technology where they used old-fashioned massive explosives to pulverize everything in range. He was fairly certain that he could activate whatever it was she had, he just had to see it. Routing the communication link through a separate channel, just in case anyone had broken the prior encrypted message, he then set a different scrambler code. Call him paranoid, but that paranoia had saved his life on numerous occasions. As it was, once the further encryption was complete, he formulated his short reply:

"We need to meet. Somewhere private where we won't be disturbed. Bring the weapons."

While she arranged that, he would start writing out a profile for this Viper. It would be far from complete if he was being restricted to such a time scale, but he remembered a few things about him. He'd certainly seen him enough in person, but more importantly; he'd seen him on the battlefield. Abregado-Rae. He might be able to access whatever footage he had of it. Some from Aurena's reports, but others from armour-cams. If he could scrape together whatever he had, he might be able to evaluate the Viper's fighting style. A tricky proposition, but he just had to find a weakness...
Exephos already had a few theories, most of them involving how the Viper seemed to always want to close the distance. Perhaps that could be used against him. Triggered explosives, land mines, and grenades might work best but somehow he doubted the effectiveness that stun weapons would have. Surely someone had already tried that in one of his skirmishes with the criminal element on Nar Shaddaa. Of course, they probably tried explosives too...
What he needed was something new. Something fresh. A weapon that the Viper had not yet faced and so would not be prepared for. As he thought about it however, a cruel smile tugged at his lips. He scrawled down a single word onto a scrap of flimsi and stuck it to the wall.
'Disruptors?'

Offline Ash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/30/17, 11:15:19 PM »
Knowing Exephos, and the military type that she presumed him to be, it didn't take all that long for her to receive another message on her datapad from the ex commander. Regardless of the different channel, Shaan simply pulled it up with ease and glazed over the text, a small smile forming on her lips as she read it over. Even if it was simply words, she had a pretty good idea as to what it was about, and she was quite excited over the very fact. From what she could guess Exephos didn't quite approve, and no doubt wanted to persuade her to follow a more tactical approach into dealing with the Viper. But she had bigger things to worry about, and a life beyond this little scuffle with the hero. If all went according to plan she'd be back in the Maw, living it up without a worry in the galaxy. Living out what short of a life she had left before finally biting the dirt and calling it a life. But unlike Exephos, she didn't have a safe-house or any real connections to fall back to. She could only improvise. And Exephos was her only ticket out.

"I'll have them acquired within the night. Meet me at Anchorhead Cantina. We can talk there."

With the message sent Shaan carelessly tosses the datapad aside, slowly rising to her feet as she gives a tired grown. The TC droid chirps and beeps at its master movement, Shaan only sparing a moment to reassuringly pat the droid's head before heading to the bridge of her ship. Within droids and holoprojectors of all manner worked on the controls, processing and managing the minute tasks needed to keep their sole host alive.  In the center sat her seat, what could only be described as a throne with a array of screens decorated around it, the main hub of the ship that Shaan could personally take control whenever she need to. With a huff she sat on that very throne, reaching forward to mess with the screens and controls to slowly bring the ship out of it's orbit around Nar Shaddaa and into the star field beyond.

"Set a course for Jeraand" Shaan says simply, watching as the droids pick up her command, implementing her request for the ship's computer before the console pinged in confirmation and readiness for the jump. And with that, she simply pressed a button and the ship leapt into hyperspace, on its way to acquire the goods and bring her one step closer to her inevitable victory.

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/01/17, 07:41:29 AM »

Anchorhead Cantina

Exephos waited in the deep bowels of Anchorhead's cantina, buried beneath Tatooine's shifting sands where the blistering heat of the sun wouldn't reach it. It was filled with all manner of criminals, pirates, hardened locals, and scavengers. It had it's upsides. Intelligence types usually stood out like a sore thumb amidst people like this. Bounty hunters wouldn't be much better off; half the people in this place probably had a price on their heads and would be more likely to shoot a hunter than provide him with information.
Not that he hadn't come cautiously. He'd surveyed this place for three days before he showed up, checking every entrance or exit, every regular, the bartender's routine, right down to what the man had to drink in the mornings. If there was a change in the general atmosphere of the place, he'd know about it. He also had to keep a low profile. Gone was the distinctive Republic armour, gone was the brown officer fatigues. Instead he wore a long thick sand-coloured coat, and a bandanna around his face.
Here in Anchorhead, he had a very extensive reputation.
First there was that business when the Empire had tried to invade during the war, and he'd been in charge of mop-up efforts with the local militia garrison. Then there was those fifty people he killed during his hunt for Lord Karilast.
The ensuing trial at the hands of the court...
His dictated service to the militia...
Yes, it could be said that he had QUITE a history around here. In fact, the only place that Shaan could have picked where he had an even more well known reputation would be the middle of a Coruscanti barracks. As it was; no point in griping about it, especially not to that pirate. She could take that information and possibly use it against him. Not that he believed that she would, but he had not survived this long by being the trusting type.
... And if a local did happen to notice who he was, that was why he had an X-23 disruptor rifle leaning against the table in addition to two B-34s (The current standard-issue Republic sidearms) on his belt, five thermal detonators, his knife, a meter of detcord, his cortosis extendable baton, and three stun grenades. He was prepared to wage a small war if necessary but he hoped this meeting wouldn't require that.
So instead he kept his head low, his gaze watchful, and his fingers constantly drumming on his knife's sheath.

Offline Ash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/17, 01:05:41 AM »
Shaan took her time in arriving into the cantina, hoping to let the mood sway into the more duller hours before she made her way in. She had a reputation of her own within the outer rim, a deadly one that made the smart weave their around her and the foolish to confront her. From her days within the maw, every trader who had bothered to get into the spice business knew of her tales. The merciless Nexu that roamed the black void, taking any crew to their grave. And no one had ever beaten her or force her into a shallow grave. Not the Hutts, not the Republic, and not even the Empire. Shaan had enemies, but in her domain she was a queen. Like the politics of Alderaan, side and dagger was the only way to harm her. In a confrontation, she was in her domain.

Thinking that Exephos had cooked long enough Shaan made her way down into the bowls of the cantina, her stature confident and calm as the yellow smoke of her cigar trailed slowly behind her. As one who had a reputation within the underworld, the crowds parted before her, many taking great strides to stay out of her eye as others cast vengeful glances her way. Shaan paid them no mind, simply letting her oversized blaster be on full display on her belt. A warning sign that she was on business and not to be interrupted.

"Might as well take the bandanna off babe, no one's going to mess with you. And if you're worried about being recognized I'll simply kill them for you." Shaan remarks calmly as she steps up to Exephos table, slipping into the seat in front of him and sliding her blaster on the table as well as her datapad. A gesture of peace and that he was her on his own free will. Though, she had doubts she could force him here even if she wanted to.

"Force pikes made out of that weak rock, slicing kit, best I can find mind you, and everything I can scrounge up of our little toys. Schematics all on the datapad. Everything you need for our little scheme." Shaan remarks calmly, giving a small gesture before reclining back. "Another thing, I'm...open to whatever you have to say, babe. Pirate's life, strike hard and fast, you know my kind and I know yours. If we're to make this work I might as well be willing to change up my game."

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/15/17, 07:09:36 AM »
So just to make it clear to everyone, this plot line is happening BEFORE the latest Exephos storyline; 'An End, Once and for All'.

Exephos loosened one of the blasters in it's holster in caution as she approached, but once she had sat down and placed her blaster on the table, he let go of the grip and let it slide back. Typical pirate. Come striding in here without doing any recon or minding the clientele. He only scowled behind the bandanna that she suggest he take it off, though he listened to her further statements without speaking.

"I don't plan on taking it off. I have a very, very well known face around here." He finally said, only his eyes visible as he glanced carefully around the cantina. A weequay by the bar caught his attention; one that looked familiar, but he quickly set aside his curiousness to get down to business.

"That 'weak rock' is what stops the Viper from slicing you in two." He added, before picking up the datapad and flicking through the schematics. He nodded slowly to himself; he knew these models. Nuclear DX-117s. Primitive and small, with less than a kilometer of blast range. But even less than a kilometer on an ecumenopolis meant a very, very large casualty rate.

"What you have is what we designate as a 'NDD' in the Republic Military. That stands for 'Nuclear Destructive Device'. The two particular models you have are the DX-117s, designed for tactical destruction of fortifications. Archaic for sure, but the Republic learned the hard way from the Battle of Serroco, back in the Mandalorian Wars, of the destructive force of a nuclear explosive. Suffice to say, if this doesn't get the Viper's attention; then nothing will." Exephos explained, before passing her back the datapad.

"We'll proceed with your plan... That is, not doing any recon... But first I'll need to activate the weapons and assess them. Assuming you have all the parts, it won't take long. Not long at all."