BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

January 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jan 22: Return to Rishi - Indie Night (6:30)
Jan 25: Jedi kNight (7:30 PST)
Jan 26: Dancer's Palace 9pm PST
Jan 29: Return to Rishi - Indie Night (6:30)

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Slugthrower questions  (Read 1336 times)

Re: Slugthrower questions
« Reply #15 on: 04/25/17, 06:12:34 PM »
0 Show voters
yeah, but...blasters can't be suppressed. and that's vital if you're doing a mission that requires stealth. Like say, assassinating a politician or something.

inb4 that sentence gets me put on the NSA/FBI/CIA's watchlist.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04/25/17, 06:24:40 PM »
0 Show voters
...honestly, blasters probably don't sound much louder than even a suppressed pistol. >_>
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Online LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04/25/17, 06:37:39 PM »
0 Show voters
Not in the SW universe lol
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Philla Kasan (29, Captain, 51st Recon)

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04/25/17, 06:38:13 PM »
0 Show voters
yeah, but...blasters can't be suppressed.

According to Legends Canon, blasters can be suppressed.

An updated version of blaster technology developed during the Clone Wars were "stealth" blasters, exemplified by the DC-19 "Stealth" carbine used by the Republic's clone shadow troopers. The DC-19 had a sound suppressor unit that allowed the user to operate the blaster in virtually complete silence, and also had an alternate stealth firing mode that used a refined mixture of tibanna gas, making the bolt invisible to the naked eye. However, the invisible tibanna mix had to be reloaded after every ten shots, and there was a required cool down time between each individual shot to protect the blaster's dampeners from overheating.
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Online Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04/25/17, 06:48:27 PM »
0 Show voters

this is from a (heavy) blaster pistol

So, again... why bother with a fancy bullet? When you can do the above cheaper and easier already?

It's just a silly, unnecessary attempt to "break" the Rules of Star Wars (like any other fictional universe, it has its own internally-consistent Rules). If you must have a fancy mega-death kill-gun that isn't a blaster, then why not a disruptor? Or sonic blaster?
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat clum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

« Reply #20 on: 04/25/17, 06:49:07 PM »
0 Show voters
yeah, but...blasters can't be suppressed.

According to Legends Canon, blasters can be suppressed.

An updated version of blaster technology developed during the Clone Wars were "stealth" blasters, exemplified by the DC-19 "Stealth" carbine used by the Republic's clone shadow troopers. The DC-19 had a sound suppressor unit that allowed the user to operate the blaster in virtually complete silence, and also had an alternate stealth firing mode that used a refined mixture of tibanna gas, making the bolt invisible to the naked eye. However, the invisible tibanna mix had to be reloaded after every ten shots, and there was a required cool down time between each individual shot to protect the blaster's dampeners from overheating.

Yeah, but not until like...the clone wars. Plus the way it works there, makes it look very inconvenient when you could just slap a suppressor on a pistol or a rifle or something and then kill someone just like that.

Compared to that, you don't have to worry about fucking up the tibanna mixture and you don't have to wait, you just walk up to someone while holding a pistol and just empty a magazine into their body, then walk away like nothing happened <.<
« Last Edit: 04/25/17, 06:53:07 PM by GabrielThorne »

Online LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04/25/17, 06:58:59 PM »
0 Show voters
Disruptors don't go through shields, and also don't make sense for primitives.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Philla Kasan (29, Captain, 51st Recon)

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04/25/17, 08:29:44 PM »
+1 Show voters
So blasters vs slugthrowers, here we go!

Alright, so first let me state how most blasters work; there's two kinds. Ion blasters and the more common particle beam blasters (I didn't mention sonic blasters because they're so rare and disruptors aren't blasters). Now an ion blaster is essentially just an electric gun. It shoots bolts of really, really fast electricity to destroy or immobilize electronics. Same theory goes for ion cannons, just on a much bigger scale.

The more common particle blaster however uses gas AND electricity. Gas is released into a chamber when a blaster is primed, kind of like loading a bullet into a chamber. Then when you press the trigger, that gas moves into a gas conversion chamber where the molecules start moving very fast indeed. That gas is then energized with electromagnets and focused through a crystal to form that tight beam we all know and love as blaster bolts.

Sounds complicated? Not terribly, just remember these crucial steps:

Gas -> Agitated Gas -> Agitated Energized Gas -> Focusing Crystal -> Blaster Bolt

Now, why do I mention how a blaster works? Because that blaster is loud. While not as loud as something like a gunshot, it's around the ninety to a hundred decibel range. Definitely noticeable, but the key difference between a blaster shot and a gunshot, is that a blaster shot doesn't really echo, isn't as sharp, and so not as noticeable. It can be suppressed but only if it's custom designed for it. One can't snap a suppressor on just any old blaster.

Now, slugthrowers; how do they work? Well, pretty much the same way most modern guns do with a few variations. We have two methods of firing slugs and that's through chemical energy or electrical energy. Either they are fired through some form of propellant; I wouldn't say gunpowder but something along those lines. Or they are fired much like a railgun; electromagnets propel the projectiles at speeds pretty near the speed of a blaster bolt. The former can be suppressed, the latter doesn't much need suppression.

Now, comparison time!

Blasters:
-Can be suppressed with special designs
-Ammunition lasts a long time usually (Depends on power settings)
-Fairly loud
-Inexpensive
-Can be made to be very compact
-Shots are clearly visible (Bright blaster bolts)

Slugthrowers:
-All can be suppressed or are otherwise made to be quiet
-Ammunition doesn't last long (Plus it's heavier than blaster ammo)
-Consistently hard-hitting
-Generally expensive but high quality
-Can only be made so small in size
-Shots are not very visible at all
-Goes through SOME shields (Ray shields, yes! Particle shields, no.)

Sorry about the wall of text; blasters and slugthrowers are my thing.
« Last Edit: 04/25/17, 08:32:08 PM by Kremon »
Exephos; a haunted war-ravaged veteran.
Shad'ra; an indecisive ex-mandalorian.
Gharzog; a happy-go-lucky gun for hire.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04/25/17, 08:43:55 PM »
0 Show voters
Kremon's post is awesome, but another point to add: Slugs will cause bleeding and internal damage that blasters might not, since they're similar to lightsabers in their energy, yes? I imagine they'd have the same cauterizing effect, though would cause burn damage. So slugthrowers might be favored by hunters or people who want that bleed effect.
Pubs

Bren: Jedi Archaeologist // Iirim: Padawan Spook // Zorru: Jedi Recruiter // Aybekk: Padawan Nerd
Seirion: Senatorial Aide // Varooth: Iridonian Politician // Ayrak Malid: Arbiter of Clans // Telen: Tiny Slicer

Imps

Urziya: Mandalorian 'Diplomat' // Terr: Mandalorian Chieftain // Majia: Pirate Princess // Athuuna: Agent Cyberneticist // Zhekrazh: Mysterious Sith

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04/25/17, 08:58:39 PM »
0 Show voters
That too, Noth!
I forgot to mention a few other big differences between blasters and slugthrowers;

Blasters are much, much better at range because those bolts suffer from very little gravity drop and minimal air resistance. Plus blasters work in space whereas some slugthrowers do, but alot don't (Plus the ones that do will knock you around in no gravity alot, because of the kick of the bolt). Lastly, blasters have a stun setting and slugthrowers do not.

Slugthrowers however have two other big advantages over blasters. First, slugs cannot be blocked by a lightsaber (Though if the Jedi/Sith is good/attentive enough, they can use the Force) and slugs also can use specialized ammunition. Explosive, super armour piercing, special materials, etc (Though the explosive bullet's kind of meaningless unless your hunting Jedi, because high-powered blaster bolts are kind of explosive themselves.) Blasters, outside of the stun setting, can only modify the amount of power their shot has. That's it.
« Last Edit: 04/25/17, 09:02:52 PM by Kremon »

Online SquigglyV

• No, Lord! All is still downright bad, I find.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04/26/17, 05:39:26 AM »
0 Show voters
Amazing post, but I don't think magnetic weapons count as slugthrowers, they're different enough to warrant a class of their own. And I thought slugthrowers were way cheaper than blasters in general?
You are in error. No one is screaming. Thank you for your cooperation.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04/26/17, 06:32:42 AM »
0 Show voters
Iaera's point still remains, though: Why?

Don't get me wrong, I get the allure of guns in sci-fi series. Blasters and ray guns are standard issue sci-fi staples, while chemically propelled projectiles... well, a lot of us are Americans, and there's a certain romanticism in the US when it comes to the gun.

All told, I've probably worked for 6 years total on FPS's, believe me, I get that...

But the conventional weapons of Star Wars aren't exactly a major part of the themes of the work. It's a result of Lucas' grounded presentation of the original film: Have the actors and the writing and the story treat the objects of the world as mundane and normal. There's no more of a need in Star Wars to talk about what a blaster is and how it works than it would be for someone in a western to go on about their gun.

It's a gun. Point this end at the bad guys, pull the trigger, try not to miss.

That's not to say that deviation's from that aren't possible or can't add to the tapestry of the work in interesting ways. But at the center of it is that old question, Why? If it's just "because I want to have a character use an assault rifle", then something more might be needed.

And if it's "To act as Kryptonite to this other thing in the franchise", maybe it's a good idea to think about why that thing needs a Kryptonite, and if adding it will screw things up. There's a reason the Federation never replicated a few dozen SPAS-12's when going up against the Borg...
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Online SquigglyV

• No, Lord! All is still downright bad, I find.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04/26/17, 06:54:16 AM »
0 Show voters
My reason is because I have like a dozen characters who use blasters and I feel like I need some variation.
You are in error. No one is screaming. Thank you for your cooperation.

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04/26/17, 07:09:58 AM »
0 Show voters

Really, I have to agree that there's not much of a point to a slugthrower, other than being unique. As I mentioned, it has a few perks over a blaster but... It's really not enough to justify picking them over the classic blasters we all love. A blaster, so long as you have the right power settings, will always do more damage than all but the largest slugthrower, have longer range, be a whole lot more efficient, have more ammunition, and a fair bit cheaper. (Blasters have very, very few moving parts. Slugthrowers generally require no less than twenty, which makes them more pricey.)

The reason as to why they're in the Star Wars genre however really comes down to history. At one point or another in the vast Star Wars timeline, people used slugthrowers because they're simpler to make and easier to understand. Instead of complex sciences, one's dealing with levers, springs, and a little chemistry. In the more modern Star Wars setting, basically 4500 BBY and onwards, the only people using them outside of bounty hunters, mercenaries, and the Verpine are more primitive societies like the Tusken Raiders.

Offline Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04/26/17, 09:27:39 AM »
0 Show voters
Czerka manufactures blaster silencers.

http://swtor.gamepedia.com/Czerka_Blaster_Silencer