BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

October 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Oct 18: Jedi Night: Mahara Kesh - 7:30 PM PST
Oct 18: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Hierarchy and Organization in the Sith Empire?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
Hierarchy and Organization in the Sith Empire?
« on: 05/12/17, 02:59:29 PM »
+1 Show voters
Mei's thread about citizenship, Nic's excellent response, and my new Empire characters have got me thinking about how little I know about the structure of the Empire. Here's the hierarchy I have so far:

- Emperor/Empress
- Darth
- Sith Lord
- Sith Apprentice
- Citizen
- Subjugate
- Indentured Servant
- Slave

How does the Imperial Military fit into this structure? Imperial Intelligence? I know aliens now get either conscripted or enslaved, but aside from that, is the military something you join or is it more like a caste? I'd assumed it was the latter given Sith history, but I want to be sure.

How are citizens and powerbases split up? Sith society strikes me as very feudal, so do all citizens and soldiers have loyalty to a Sith Lord, or is citizenship more general? Will a Sith Lord's soldiers who report to them 'belong' to them or to the Imperial military? How separate or not are those?

Imperial Intelligence - is it entirely separate from these structures and independent? Or does it fall somewhere into these patterns as well?

I've only played my Imps in Act I so I don't have a good sense of the wider picture when it comes to the Empire.
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
Re: Hierarchy and Organization in the Sith Empire?
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/17, 03:49:10 PM »
+1 Show voters
The Empire is a very military government, so most citizens would probably be expected to complete mandatory military service at some point in their lives. Whether they stay would be up to them (and there's certainly no harm in having a good military career).

Someone I know once said "the Empire is Downton Abbey meets Game of Thrones"; you have absolute chaos and violence thriving in places, but the Empire is also a place of decadence, devotion, and creativity outside of it's mandatory structure. Contrary to some of what you may see in SWTOR, citizens will usually answer to the sith more out of loyalty and devotion than fear (though fear is an excellent motivator for the more roguish parts of society). Soldiers have more reason to fear sith, but any sith given control of military forces will be expected to know what they are doing/would be known for getting results. Any soldiers requisitioned by or following a sith are expected to follow a sith's orders to the letter.

As for Imperial Intelligence, in SWTOR it's described as one of twelve spheres in the Empire (now called "Sith Intelligence", led by Darth Zhorrid), so it's connected to everything insofar as it has a job to do that affects the everyday life of Imperials. The legends part of the wiki for Imperial Intelligence actually has a nifty chart for all this that I had ZERO knowledge of, so I wanna try and cobble it into what SWTOR presents.

Imperial/Sith Intelligence will take anyone capable but you'll always have the prejudice of being an alien tacked onto you if you're coming in as one. You can be recruited into Intelligence at childhood to be cultivated and trained, drafted in from the military because your skills are considered invaluable, etc. Fixers, Minders, Ciphers, and Informers all answer to Watchers, who answer to the Keeper, who answers to the Minister. Outside of Imperial space you would be expected to keep quiet about what you're doing. On Imperial ground, however, you may choose to be open about your "profession" and use that to your advantage. They will (usually) answer respectfully to all sith, but divulging information to a sith is up to their discretion. How far protection you have as an agent goes depends on who you are in Intelligence, the situation, who you're talking to, and only on. Since it's a Sith organization now, I expect that changes some things.
« Last Edit: 05/12/17, 03:56:58 PM by Zmaj »
Zmaj: 32, Chiss agent, lover of intrigue wine
Caesiallus: 34, Twi'lek bartender, info-broker
Varinas: 40, Human Darth, archivist, former "diplomat"

Seem: 38, Rattataki Jedi Master, resident grump
Vashya'ati: 34, Togruta Jedi Sage, small-time archaeologist
Ash'tana: 32, Miraluka smuggler, trouble-finder extraordinaire

Online SquigglyV

• My business, as you know, is fighting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/12/17, 04:02:43 PM »
+1 Show voters
I think citizens are below the military in status, like a separate caste. Civilians only exist to do things that the Imperial military can't or doesn't want to do, basically. I would not be surprised if soldiers outnumbered farmers or civilians because the Empire is heavily militarized and uses slave labour for a lot of stuff.

Since we are space fascists, I think most civilians probably pledge their loyalty to the Empire and the Emperor/Empress very strongly. Like Zmaj said, they're probably extremely patriotic and not just afraid of getting murdered. If they do get into a Sith's power base, whether they follow the Sith or Empire more probably depends on the individual and which Sith it is.

For military units under a Sith, I think they would rally to their Sith first and the Empire second. That being said, I doubt most Sith need more than one or two units on constant active duty so they probably report to the Ministry of War 99% of the time. Or they report to a high-ranking officer inside that Sith's power base, and they balance their duty between serving the Sith so they don't get executed and serving the Empire so they don't get court martialed/demoted.

Not all units are under a Sith anyway. I would guess the majority are not just because Sith are much rarer than the game makes them seem, they number in the thousands or tens of thousands and there are trillions of people out there.

Also, aliens aren't that much worse off than everyone else after RotHC. Before then, humans and purebloods were superior to humanoids and they were better off than non-humanoid aliens, now all humanoid aliens are equal (in theory) to humans and purebloods. Also, an alien who managed to become Sith would basically be equal even before then.

Here is what I think the caste structure looks like for the Empire in general, though in certain Sith power bases it might differ.

- Emperor/Empress
- Darths (some have more or less authority than others, but they're all above Lords and below the Emperor/Empress.)
- Sith Lords (also with varying levels of authority)
- Normal Sith (apprentices and independent warriors/inquisitors/etc)
- Sith Acolytes
- Soldiers
- Citizens
- Subjugates
- Domestic servants, butlers, etc.
- Slaves
- Undesirables (anyone who would otherwise be a slave but is physically/mentally unable, aka the reason we have extermination camps.)

As a side note, I think high ranking military officers probably outrank Sith Acolytes. Technically they're lower due to not being a Sith but in practice their experience makes them less expendable and gives them more authority than some untrained force user.

And there is probably a whole lot of variation depending on where you are in the galaxy, because some Sith put their domestic servants above their apprentices while others are tolerant enough to not even have slaves. It really depends.

Offline TrickyNick87

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/12/17, 05:10:22 PM »
0 Show voters
SPOILER WARNING

I won't bother highlighting everything below that might be spoilery, just keep in mind some information may be revealed in the below post.

@Noth , you're hierarchy is pretty much on point. Some people may choose to adjust it and make minor changes but you pretty much have it.

Unlike life in the Galactic Republic, where the Jedi Order defends Republic citizens but seems to take a less visible role in Republic affairs, the Sith are the uncontestably dominant rulers of the Sith Empire. If you are a sentient living in Imperial space, everything you are, everything you have, everything you wish to be, comes from and through the Force-using Sith.

I want to point out that the below details I provide on Sith Empire organization reflect how the Empire is currently governed (post-KotET).

The invasion of the known Galaxy by the Eternal Empire set the stage for the dissolution of the twelve-member Dark Council. In its place, Darth Acina declared herself Empress of the Sith, and is the current ruling head of the Sith Empire. Though the Dark Council no longer exists, the three 'pillars' of Imperial government are seemingly still in existence.

Ministry of War. Led by the Minister of War, this branch oversees all matters having to do with the Imperial military. Recruitment, troop deployments, operational planning and execution. Everything concerning the employment of the Imperial war machine runs through this ministry. The ministry oversees the Imperial Army, Imperial Navy, and the Imperial Reclamation Service.

I've endeavored to develop as thorough an order of battle for the Imperial military as I can on this Holonet-wiki page, based on in-game lore. Personally, I've found that mapping the Imperial military's organization has helped me immensely in developing my own, player-made organizations.

Military service is mandatory, but not all Imperials are in the military, seemingly being free (as the needs of the Empire allow) to pursue other means of public service after a mandatory tenure of service in the armed forces. Imperials approach their military service with a profound sense of pride, patriotism, and duty.

Ministry of Logistics. The Ministry of Logistics seems to run pretty much anything not controlled by the other two branches. Vaiken Spacedock is controlled by this ministry, they ensure the military is equipped with everything it needs for war, they handle communications and seem to also oversee the Imperial economy.

Ministry of Intelligence. Presumably now called the 'Ministry of Sith Intelligence' since the events of the Shadow of Revan expansion (remember, Imperial Intelligence doesn't exist anymore), the ministry is the espionage element of the Imperial government. This branch is responsible for rooting traitors and rebellions within the Empire while also spying on the enemies of the Sith.

Concerning the place of aliens in the Empire, you'll want to read up on the Alien Initiatives that were rolled out around the time of the Hutt conquest of Makeb.

How are citizens and powerbases split up? I agree with you that Sith rule has an overbearing feudal aspect to it. With the dissolution of the Dark Council, however, I'm not certain there are as many divisions among the Imperial citizenry as there once was. All Imperials are subject to the rule of the new Empress, but I do expect many also identify as part of a powerbase of particular Sith lords.

Will a Sith Lord's soldiers who report to them 'belong' to them or to the Imperial military? How separate or not are those? This was especially tricky to figure during the reign of the Dark Council, when three spheres of influence oversaw management of the War Ministry and yet nearly all twelve councilors has some military assets under their control. It is certainly difficult to figure how an Imperial soldier reports to both the war ministry and their ruling Sith lord (if they have one).

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/12/17, 05:48:34 PM »
+1 Show voters
Thank you all for those excellent replies!

Unfortunately it's making me want to retcon things I've established already for my characters. D: They are new enough it might be doable however. I didn't realize there were independent Warriors/Inquisitors! I thought my options for Sith were 'apprentice' or 'leader' and that was it. I might consider retconning Zhek's Lord status since that seems easier to RP.

Intelligence being rebranded as Sith Intelligence actually works much better for my plans, so that's good to know. Wish I were better at powering through story content, but that's why this forum exists... I'd wanted to tie my Agent and Sith together, maybe with one working for the other. Does that seem doable?

So, would a more accurate depiction of the hierarchy be something like this?

« Last Edit: 05/12/17, 05:55:00 PM by Noth »
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/17, 06:07:45 PM »
+1 Show voters
Intel definitely has power over the other two of that's level. You are after all, the secret police. Whether or not that's just perceived power or actual power I suppose is up for debate, but it's there.

Also, Zmaj, that's chart's for Episode 4-6+ legends Imperial Intelligence. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ubiqtorate/Legends

Basically they're the central head of the branches.

Also bear in mind that ISB and Imperial Intel of the era are two separate competing organization. ISB focused on internal secret police action (kind of like the gestapo, since they were originally formed by a nationalized citizen-soldier imitative) and II is basically a very unethical, evil, CIA who's main focus was towards gathering intelligence on external threats on matters of state. Of course in Star Wars, who's internal and external is very confusing, and the two often hated each other as they saw each other compete over territory.

Bear in mind Naval Intelligence also exists.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Navy_Intelligence

Forming a third competing intel branch for military matters. This dichotomy is much like the CIA vs Military Intel vs FBI/NSA today. Wulf Yularen is famous for giving up his stellar career to help the people of the empire by becoming a liason between the three. With out him, the Intelligence orgs were pretty much bitter rivals.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wullf_Yularen/Legends

You may recognize him as a main character from the Clone Wars TV show, and from Episode 4; shortly before his death.
« Last Edit: 05/12/17, 06:23:40 PM by LVT »
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Freya Merril (?, ???)

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/12/17, 06:12:31 PM »
0 Show voters
Keeping in mind I know very little myself --

I would think "Independent Sith" would really fall under "Sith Lord" as they wouldn't be "solo" until they made Lord status?

Someone who is Apprentice is an Apprentice until they are Lord.  (I thought - no, ifs, ands, or buts.)  If they killed their Lord and decide they are now rogue and answer to no one - (technically) they are still a "LOrd" though I guess no one officially gave them the title if they "stab and ran..." (?)

I don't know IF (?)  it would be all that common to get yourself off Korriban and then just survive as "random Sith" without anything at all.

But you could certainly Apprentice, get that training, get away/kill your Lord (if its not a happy ending lol), and then basically be an independent acting Sith of your own volition and qualifying as a Lord because you are no longer being trained/under a Master.

But can you be a "free Sith" and have no title? Meaning you I guess...got taken from Korriban and never Apprenticed or anything to anyone and therefore no title and are somehow not being hunted to correct that oversight (or to be killed...).

Just thoughts- not necessarily answers.

~~

I have always had the idea that while Darths>Rest of Empire/military as a general rule - but that yes when you get to the upper echelons of the Military it starts to be a more sensitive/touchy subject.

And much more open to interpretation depending on the individuals interpretation of someone's rank, influence, and power base relative to yourself XD.  So depending on the situation, a Lord could 'outrank/outpower' a Moff or what-have-you.

Like Darth ReallyBigPants can grin and ask General BigGun to clean his boots.  But Darth NobodyKnows tries to do it and the guy laughs in his face.  (is the idea...)   

And for this I just use the example I was educated about (once upon a decade ago...) - Tarkin and Vadar.  That while technically Vadar was "more powerful/in charge over" Tarkin - it was really more of an equal status/respect thing (which is why Vadar never chokes him out for anything) because of Tarkin's brilliant military career.  So that while "on paper" Tarkin knows he has to "answer to" Vadar - both of them and the Emperor (or anyone who matters) knows that's also not really how it works.

Or at least, once upon a decade ago when I asked why Vadar wasn't "Vadaring" all over Tarkin - that was how I was given to understand it :).

~~

And thanks for all these posts actually - I love reading all the lore and stuff because I don't know all this either and I want to!  Wikkipedia destroys my computer speed (with whatever ads or flash or whatever its using) and is just so painful for me to try and read through.

So great questions Mei and Noth thanks!!  :aww:

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/12/17, 06:21:16 PM »
0 Show voters
Intel definitely has power over the other two of that's level. You are after all, the secret police. Whether or not that's just perceived power or actual power I suppose is up for debate, but it's there.

Also, Zmaj, that's chart's for Episode 4-6+ legends Imperial Intelligence. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ubiqtorate/Legends

Basically they're the data and policy arm of Imperial Intel of that era.

Ah. That it is! Still interesting though. It makes me wonder just how much got shuffled around from the Empire in SWTOR's timeline all the way down the line to the Episode 4-6+ legends. It's certainly more organized than the descriptions we've been given in-game.

I definitely do agree that Sith Intelligence has more power than logistics and military because they receive information from these two, consolidate it, and then put plans into action according to that. Perhaps it's a bit of a technicality, but the Sphere of Intelligence micromanages a lot of the Empire's general happenings right under the noses of the citizenry, military, and sith to an extent. What it lacks in glamour it makes up for in influence.
« Last Edit: 05/12/17, 06:24:59 PM by Zmaj »

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/12/17, 06:24:20 PM »
0 Show voters
Updated my original post with more details then.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Freya Merril (?, ???)

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/12/17, 06:27:47 PM »
0 Show voters
Nic said>>
Ministry of Intelligence. Presumably now called the 'Ministry of Sith Intelligence' since the events of the Shadow of Revan expansion (remember, Imperial Intelligence doesn't exist anymore), the ministry is the espionage element of the Imperial government. This branch is responsible for rooting traitors and rebellions within the Empire while also spying on the enemies of the Sith.

So if I understand this all correctly --

Karmic operates as a Darth Assassin within the Empire.  She's not part of the military, but her duties (when she's called upon) would fall under this Ministry. (? right?)  As I've always described her (and her former guild/ic organization) almost exactly that way "getting rid of any threat to the Empire - from without or within."  And ic-head-canon background activities - she's killed a number of Sith, in defense of the Empire.  More Jedi and Republic though of course. :)

So when hired, it would be direction from the Ministry of Intelligence - of at least a quite high pay grade level.  She's not a grunt xD.

When my guild was actually existing icily (pre-Zakul) they were also not military but - one step from (para-military if you will).  They operated outside the official military or Intelligence channels but "Unofficially" I'm thinking would also have fallen under Sith Intelligence/Imperial Intelligence.  The IC origins and purpose have them situated at the disposal of the Sith Council and few others, basically.  The Guildmaster was in-house ranked "Voice of the Council" as they were the ones responsible for the contact with the Council for Orders and then carrying out those Orders using Moirae members as they would.

At one point Karmic was even a secret member of the organization (*icily) within the Empire.  Moirae members knew she was a member, but no one else knew it.  :)  Allowed her to (as always) be seen as more moderate than her true leanings are.  Since Moirae was seen as the "secret police" in some ways - at least to any Imperial not being truly IMperial XD.    *Even deeper knowledge, I existed as a hidden-officer of the guild as well; sort of a silent partner.*  My title was then and she is still AKA "Watcher of Moirae" Rank.  The only one to have ever held that title.

(all that explanation was so that...)
~~~
So if I understand that right - when she's "actively pursuing Imperial intersts" she falls under MInistry of INtelligence (now - whether kill, gather intel, or torture, imprison, etc.), but otherwise would be an "independent" Darth - because she's not actual military.

(Esp. since the rankings brought up the idea of independent Siths...so trying to understand that better as well lol)

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline TrickyNick87

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/12/17, 06:35:49 PM »
0 Show voters
When RPing an Imperial or Sith in SWTOR, I've found that there was always a pre-existing organization that my character would fall under, negating the need for me to develop one from scratch.

If I wanted to RP a character similar to @Karmic 's, pre-KotFE, I'd have RPed them as falling under the Sphere of Mysteries, also known as the assassin's sphere.

Darth is practically a political title in addition to a sort of religious role. I don't really see the Sith Empire dispatching too many darths on assassination missions. A Darth might coordinate or plan an attack but would be unlikely to carry it out, reserving that role for lesser Sith and perhaps a few lords.

Karmic also is unlikely to have her activities directed by Sith Intelligence but its possible if that's how you choose to frame your story.

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/12/17, 06:40:44 PM »
0 Show voters
Also bear in mind that ISB and Imperial Intel of the era are two separate competing organization. ISB focused on internal secret police action (kind of like the gestapo, since they were originally formed by a nationalized citizen-soldier imitative) and II is basically a very unethical, evil, CIA who's main focus was towards gathering intelligence on external threats on matters of state. Of course in Star Wars, who's internal and external is very confusing, and the two often hated each other as they saw each other compete over territory.

In SWTOR, SI seems to be in charge of everything from informing to snooping, which I suppose is easier to absorb in story, but not quite realistic in my opinion.

Bear in mind Naval Intelligence also exists.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Navy_Intelligence

This I've actually seen some people incorporate into their RP experiences, and is something I find entirely believable. Having one big ball of Intelligence takes a lot of work and very thorough organization. The Empire is very vast. Intelligence would at least have branches and branch-offs to deal with everything.

I wish we'd been given the names of the divisions, but it means we have the freedom come up with everything else ourselves!

Online SquigglyV

• My business, as you know, is fighting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/12/17, 06:44:49 PM »
+2 Show voters
I think the Imperial Navy and Army must have their own intelligence services for tactical and strategic info, while Imperial Intelligence is more for espionage and political intrigue or large scale stuff. I have no sources or proof or anything, it just makes more sense I think. Like the CIA/OSS vs ONI and MI.

Offline TrickyNick87

• Empire Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05/12/17, 06:49:57 PM »
+1 Show voters
Concerning Intelligence Organizations in the Sith Empire.

Yes, Sith Intelligence is the principal body for intelligence collection, analysis and covert warfare in the Empire. We were led to believe that when Imperial Intelligence transitioned to Sith Intelligence, the organization remained the same, the only appreciable difference being it would now be helmed by Sith instead of an Imperial. Assuming that the be the case, the organizational structure of Sith Intelligence includes:

* Operations Division. This is the branch of Imperial Intelligence the Imperial Agent class is actually assigned to. The division is headed by Keeper and oversees all intelligence operations of the Sith Empire galaxy-wide.
* Outreach Bureau. I think you encounter this branch first on Nar Shaddaa. The last we hear of it is in KotFE, as Lt. Pierce had been promoted to Major and assigned here.
* Experimental Weapons Division. This division is mentioned once, on the Tatooine bonus arc.

Twice in the game (I think, once on Balmorra in the Okara Droid Factory for sure and I think also once on Corellia), the existence of Imperial military intelligence is referred to. These would be intelligence officers assigned to the Ministry of War, serving as intelligence advisors and coordinators for their respective military commanders.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05/12/17, 07:13:37 PM »
0 Show voters
I am pretty iffy, personally, on using anything from the movie-era (so ISB, Imperial Naval Intelligence, etc.) to figure stuff out about Intelligence or the Sith Empire, just because that is a very different time period and the way the Sith are organized is also very different then. It's interesting but it's the wrong time period. I am also iffy on using 1:1 real-world comparisons just because this is Star Wars and the way things work is different, they don't have to align perfectly to things in the real world. I'd rather look at what the canon for this time period gives us. Less confusing that way.

From digging it looks like Imperial military intelligence might be the equivalent to the Naval intelligence LVT linked in this time period. So that leaves four branches of Sith Intelligence that would deal with the different spheres of operations (Operations), propaganda (Outreach), technology (Experimental Weapons), and the military (Military Intelligence). Plus, the Spheres might also offer a group specifically dealing with Sith intelligence through the Sphere of Mysteries. Sound about right?
« Last Edit: 05/12/17, 07:16:32 PM by Noth »