BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

April 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Apr 19: National Add Events to Calendar Day

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Playable Dejarik, Courtier, and Other Holochess Games - RP Resource  (Read 336 times)

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
+4 Show voters
The other day, I had a lovely dejarik match with @Niarra as a bit of background flavor for RP, and, being the board game geek that I am, I just had to make myself a board to follow along with as a visual aid. Fast forward a few moves, and my MS Paint experiment turned into a Google Drawing, movable pieces, and real-time dejarik playing against a human opponent. This turned out to be a fun and satisfying roleplaying and gaming experience, that we would like to share with the community so use!

(( RIGHT NOW THE LINKS DO NOT WORK - PLEASE BE PATIENT ))

What this is: An RP resource, a visual aid for your RP emotes and to keep track of the game, and a virtual dejarik set.

What this is not: A programmed virtual game, a player vs. computer system, or any other kind of AI.

The rules are pulled from this website and modified for functional gameplay. If anyone has invented another variant of dejarik, post the rules, and we will make a board, do a playtest to make sure those rules function in practice, and post it in the OP! I am hoping to make up rulesets for all the games named in the fanon page the original rules were pulled from. What is left is Chambers and Courier. At least one of those will be a racing game, but I am up for suggestions for the second! It can be its own game or a rules variant on Standard Dejarik.

Each gameplay link sends you to an image with 3 boards. Decide which board you and your RP partner are playing on, and simply click and drag pieces to move them. When pieces are captured, click and drag to move them into the grey spaces to the side of the board.

In all game variants, opening move can be decided by dice roll or by the players through OOC discussion.

In order to use the boards you all have editing power. Please use this power responsibly and do not delete parts of the boards or edit the games themselves at all beyond moving pieces for normal gameplay.

STANDARD DEJARIK

PLAY HERE

Dejarik is a game of skill as well as chance, and the rules are complicated, but simple once you pick them. Its complexity may not lend itself directly to RP, or it may enhance it! It's up to how much you want to play it. All you need is a single D8 for each player or access to the in-game dice roller.

Rules:

Spoiler: show
The rule of Dejarik are simple: Death Match.

1. Whoever loses all of their pieces first, loses the game. Whoever survives wins.

2. Each piece has unique strengths, boasting Attack Chance (AC), Defense Chance (DC), and Movement Change (MC). AC and DC determine how many D8s you will roll during an attack/defense. MC determines how many spaces your pieces can move.

Standard Game Pieces:

Savrip: 3 AC / 2 DC / 1 MC (Power Piece)
Monnok: 3 AC / 2 DC / 2 MC (Power Piece)
Ghhhk: 2 AC / 1 DC / 2 MC (Mid Piece)
Houjix: 2 AC / 2 DC / 1 MC (Mid Piece)
Strider: 1 AC / 2 DC / 3 MC (Defensive Piece)
Ng'ok: 1 AC / 3 DC / 2 MC (Defensive Piece)
K'lor'slug: 3 AC / 1 DC / 2 MC (Offensive Piece)
Molator: 3 AC / 1 DC / 3 MC (Offensive Piece)

The virtual board game pieces have AC listed as in black, DC listed in green, and MC in blue on them.

This is the standard pack that all holotables will have. In lore you can buy expansion packs and custom holomonsters, but the total number will always be 8. If you make up a custom piece or set for RP, please use the standard pieces as stand-ins rather than adding new pieces to the Google Drawing. I may add custom pieces to the guide if people come up with some.

3. At gameplay start, pieces are placed randomly around the board by the computer. This will be simulated by rolling 1 D8.

Roll Outcomes:

1 - Savrip (A balanced brute with slow movement speed)
2 - Monnok (A balanced brute with weaker defense)
3 - Ghhhk (A balanced piece who sacrifices defense for speed)
4 - Houjix (A balanced piece who sacrifices speed for defense)
5 - Strider (A vulnerable but swift defender)
6 - Ng'ok (A balanced but unaggressive defender)
7 - K'lor'slug (A vulnerable but balanced attacker)
8 - Molator (A vulnerable but swift attacker)

Place pieces in order from A through H. When you finish rolling for a piece, and after you have placed it, ignore its number when it next comes up.
Ex. If you roll a 5, place the Strider on square A. The next time you roll a 5, ignore it and reroll. Etc.

Players may decide who is on which side of the board beforehand or after setup.

Included are also tokens to keep track of which player is in which square. Move both at the same time.

4. Players each take 2 actions each round. These actions can be any combination of movement and/or attack. You must take both your actions each turn.

5. Each piece must move the exact number of spaces of its MP. Pieces cannot move diagonally, but must move along horizontal rays and circles, but can change direction mid-movement, except to retrace steps (as this would move you less than your MC). Pieces must use the entire number at once, and cannot backtrack to move less than their MC, break it into two parts, or only move partway. Pieces can 'hop' over other pieces, but cannot land on a space already occupied by another piece.

Legal and illegal Dejarik moves for a piece with 3 MP - note that the only legal spaces are adjacent to the piece itself.

6. A player may attack any defending piece adjacent to their attacking piece. Attacks pit AP vs DP with opposing dice rolls to make 1 of 5 outcomes:

- A Kill, which removes the defending piece
     - A Push, which allows the attacking player to move the defending piece to any 1 adjacent square they choose
     - A Counter-Push, which allows the defending player to move the attacking piece to any 1 adjacent square
     - A Counter-Kill, where the attacking creature is removed from play
     - A Retreat, which allows first the defending player, then the attacking player, a Counter-Push. You cannot Push/Counter-Push a monster into the space you just occupied.

Rolling for Attack:

If Attack wins by 7 or more (hard win), Attack Kills Defense.
If Attack wins by 6 or less (soft win), Attack Pushes Defense.
If Attack and Defense tie (soft loss), Defense and Attack both Retreat.
If Attack loses by 6 or less (soft loss), Defense Counter-Pushes Attack.
If Attack loses by 7 or more (hard loss), Defense Counter-Kills Attack.
If a monster cannot be Pushed or Counter-Pushed due to being blocked in on all sides, it counts as a Kill instead.

All rolls are decided by both Attack and Defense rolling the AC and DC score of their attacking and defending pieces.

The virtual board game pieces have AC listed as in black and DC listed in green. You can also refer to the table earlier.

Rolls should use the in-game dice roller for OOC clarity.
Assuming that you are using the in-game dice roller, input /roll AC # d8 for attacks and /roll DC # d8 for defense.

7. If both players have only 1 piece left, move both pieces to the middle of the board. You must then use the higher of their AC or DC and roll off using that number until one gets a Kill.

8. This is about fun and RP. Keeping track for emote flavor is more important than focusing on details or winning. Hand-wave rules and moves as needed for RP purposes, but please always be fair to the other player and do not god-mod.

VRAX DEJARIK

PLAY HERE

Vrax is a rules variant for Standard Dejarik using the same board, pieces, and basic framework. It combines the gameplay of Dejarik with the endgame strategy of Courtier. Of the Dejarik rules variants, this one plays most similar to Chess in feel and strategy. We found this to be the most fun of the playtesting, but YMMV!

Rules:

Vrax Dejarik plays exactly like regular Dejarik except for the following points:

1. At the start of the game, one of the holomonsters on each team is labeled the King. This is decided by dice roll, like the other random starting choices. You can roll for monster placement and King in any order - it's all still randomized.

Player 1: If you roll 1-2, A is King; 3-4, C is King, 5-6, E is King; and 7-8, G is King.

Player 2: If you roll 1-2, B is King; 3-4, D is King, 5-6, F is King; and 7-8, H is King.

2. Like in Courtiers, your other pieces are labeled Guards, and serve to protect your King.

3. Also like in Courtiers, the player who gets a Kill on the opposing King both ends and wins the game.

4. All monsters keep their stats from Standard Dejarik and follow the same Attack/Defense/etc. rules.

5. If you are down to only your King, you must keep playing, because sudden reversals can and do happen in this game due to randomizing in attacks. (Happened in playtesting!)

COURTIER

PLAY HERE

Courtier is a tafl-variant for Star Wars. If you've played any kind of tafl game before, you have played Courtier. It is a game of pure strategy. This game works very well for RP, is simple to learn, and does not require any dice rolling.

Rules:

1. Gameplay starts with the pieces arranged like in the picture above.

2. Each side has 6 pieces: 5 Guards and 1 King.

3. All players can only move 1 piece 1 space at a time on each turn, and only in straight lines side-to-side or around circles. Diagonal moves are not permitted.

4. Pieces cannot 'hop' other pieces.

5. Capture game pieces by flanking them on 2 sides. Ex:

How to capture on Courtier.

6. Double-captures occur when 4 pieces are arranged so that they capture each other. Ex:

An example of a double capture.

7. Moving into a position of capture counts as a sacrifice. You are not immune to capture by virtue of having moved there voluntarily.

8. Pieces cannot be captured by placing a piece between them and the edge of the board, only between 2 pieces. Capture must include at least 3 total pieces.

9. Play ends when one king is captured. Whoever loses their king, loses the game. Whoever captures their opponents' king, wins.

10. When a king is in danger of being captured, the threatening player must announce "Check!" This is a rule, but ICly of course you can make your character be a rude jerk and not announce when placing a king in check.

11. Again, this is for fun and RP. Use RP flavor as you want. Ex. An OOC blunder might be an opportunity to pretend your skilled character is making a risky move, or that your unskilled character is making a mistake, or that your character of any skill level is distracted by something in the environment. Be creative and have fun!

LAI KYETS

PLAY HERE

Lai Kyets is a Go-inspired cross between draughts and a racing game. Invented by the Duros, it is the ancestor of all holochess games, and simulates the travels and trials of two colonizing forces making their way towards the center of a galaxy or star system. Another complex game, strategy-wise, though the rules are simple.

Lai Kyets has not yet been fully play-tested.

Rules:

1. The goal of the game is to move as many of your pieces onto the center ring as possible, and prevent your opponent from doing the same by blocking or capturing their pieces.

2. Setup is like the image, with players arranging red and blue pieces in alternating patterns along the two rows. (Red, blue, red blue; and the opposite on the other side, blue, red, blue red.)

3. To decide initiative, players roll off against each other with 1 d8. Whoever gets the higher roll goes first. You can decide among yourselves who takes which color, or roll for it: evens are blue, odds are red, and Player 2 takes the opposite color of the rolled one.

4. Pieces can move horizontally or sideways, never diagonally, in any directions for 1 square if unobstructed. You do not have to stay on the center ring, and may move backwards from and sideways on it. You may hop enemy pieces but not your own.

5. Hopping over a piece captures it, removing it from play, as well as allowing you to move 2 spaces rather than 1. Pieces on the center ring may capture sideways on the center ring and also backwards from it, just as with regular moves.

6. There are several win conditions that can occur: All remaining pieces are located on the central ring; one side outnumbers the other such that the other could not possibly put more pieces than them on the central ring; there are no more possible strategic moves; or just player agreement that no more moves are possible. In certain games players may choose to force play out until the very last possible move even in a perceived win condition.

7. Game conditions are decided to be win conditions by mutual agreement of both players. Lai Kyedts can therefore be a very short game or a very long one.

8. (Optional) In some variants, outlying pieces may be tallied into the losing player's score, making sudden reversals in who wins possible. It is up to you if you want to include this rule.

(Totally my own invention but:) In Ancient Duro, it was thought that the outcome of the game, including the outlying pieces unable to move into the center, could predict the future--outcomes of colonies, space battles, mystical battles between Light and Dark, etc. Much like Centran Sabbacc. Alternative layouts produced mathematically unplayable games which offered no challenge but are sometimes used for meditation. It is up to you if you want to let this enter into your RP. (And OOCly, I had a really hard time finding a layout for this where the 1st person who moved was not guarunteed to win. This was the only one that worked. Make of that what you will.)
« Last Edit: 06/08/17, 05:54:31 PM by Noth »
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline Mei

• let your darker side give in
    • View Profile
0 Show voters
Well I can't wait for you to finish this post!!! :music:
Sometimes I get creative: Story Collection || Artwork Collection

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
0 Show voters

All done!  :nuu:

FOR STANDARD DEJARIK:

The rules on the site used dice rolls that were, frankly, impossible. Even inputting them into a dice roller with custom numbers you get one of two outcomes:

- You use the actual number as the sides of your dice, and it's impossible to actually get the numbers used in the attack rules.
- You use the number as the number of dice thrown. With different kinds of dice this grants you either:
     - Again, the arrays in the attack rules are impossible to get
     - Only 2 monsters have the ability to kill, so if you don't get one in the randomization, you auto-lose the game
     - Higher dice numbers make the arrays possible, but too large to subtract quickly in your head for gameplay

My solution is to make everything a number of d8s, since that meshes with the arrays nicely, and try to rework the actual stats of each monster. But! I will need help! I am playtesting on my own, but would love someone to playtest with to more clearly define each monster's role and what dice distributions play the best.

THIS MEANS STANDARD DEJARIK IS CURRENT UNPLAYABLE.

However, Courtiers is perfectly playable, and works very well.
« Last Edit: 06/02/17, 01:32:10 PM by Noth »
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
0 Show voters

All done!  :nuu:

FOR STANDARD DEJARIK:

The rules on the site used dice rolls that were, frankly, impossible. Even inputting them into a dice roller with custom numbers you get one of two outcomes:

- You use the actual number as the sides of your dice, and it's impossible to actually get the numbers used in the attack rules.
- You use the number as the number of dice thrown. With different kinds of dice this grants you either:
     - Again, the arrays in the attack rules are impossible to get
     - Only 2 monsters have the ability to kill, so if you don't get one in the randomization, you auto-lose the game
     - Higher dice numbers make the arrays possible, but too large to subtract quickly in your head for gameplay

My solution is to make everything a number of d8s, since that meshes with the arrays nicely, and try to rework the actual stats of each monster. But! I will need help! I am playtesting on my own, but would love someone to playtest with to more clearly define each monster's role and what dice distributions play the best.

THIS MEANS STANDARD DEJARIK IS CURRENT UNPLAYABLE.

However, Courtiers is perfectly playable, and works very well.

Standard Dejarik is now (technically) playable! The game pieces are complete and have the updated info. The entire game relies on strategy and d8s, either via the game's dice roller or an actual physical die.

The little fanon website and the Wookiepedia article mention a few other variants that I want to develop into other styles of board game. Before I do that, though, I want to nail down the rules for Standared Dejarik and playtest it some more. Specifically, I need both of those to figure out what the rule for your 2 moves per turn should be: Both on one monster, both split between two monsters, or leave it up to the player to choose? If anyone wants to test this out (even better if in RP!) let me know!

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
0 Show voters
The following games have been added to the OP:

Standard Dejarik / Holomonsters: The Dejarik we know and love from movie fame.
Vrax Dejarik: A rules variant on Standard Dejarik that involves capturing a King piece.
Courtier: Space!Tafl
Lai Kyets: Space!Go / Space!Draughts

And as a work in progress I am working on Courier, which will hopefully be a racing game if I can make it work with the board layout.

Suggestions for the final game are welcome! I'm feeling insane enough that I might attempt to draw up rules and a board for Cu'bikad too.