BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

May 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
May 21: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific
May 24: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
May 25: Dancer's Palace 9pm PDT
May 26: Gauntlet of the Empire Open RP
May 28: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: What to Do With Schrodinger's Galaxy...  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
Re: What to Do With Schrodinger's Galaxy...
« Reply #75 on: 12/23/17, 09:52:11 PM »
+1 Show voters
Shortly after the Copero FP came out I made this post in which I transcribed the news bulletin that updates on the political state of the Empire (which you got if you sided with the Republic on Iokath). I finally got around to running the FP on one of my characters who sided with the Empire, and below is the update you get on the state of the Republic.

Spoiler: show
"Reeling from Chancellor Madon's resignation and the loss of Supreme Commander Jace Malcom, the Republic has entered a state of political stagnation. Many speculate Sith Empress Acina will use this moment of weakness to push for the capture of the resource world known as Iokath. Radicals within the Senate urge Interim Chancellor Galena Rans to retaliate, but the complicated nature of current elections has slowed any progress. Meanwhile, more than two dozen Republic colonies have reported a raw materials crisis, halting the production of weapons and defense systems."

My frustration with the lack of consistent canon continues. As meaningless as Madon was as a figure, I'm tempted to just pretend he's still kicking around, especially if it means we can keep Acina (who at least is a fleshed out character and an interesting one). Keep everyone! I vote for rejecting Schroedinger and embracing Heisenberg; less precision on specifics for more certainty about the bigger picture.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Padawan and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight // Zelek Arr, Corn Grower
Sivala, Sith Academy Overseer // Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 12/23/17, 10:05:04 PM »
0 Show voters
Given the number of coups that take place in the Sith Empire, I'd always default to a position of all things are true or none of them are. Now granted, a Sith Lord should have sufficient pull to know who is sitting the Throne, and what has happened to Republic High Command or the Senate, but if you allow a little gray area, and conflicting reports, then you can continue to play with that uncertainty, and uncertainty always leads to potential conflict.

As for the Republic, play off of the political inertia and military shortfall to allow our role-play to feel less like strong Galactic Republic, and more like desperate band of rebels struggling to get by. The further out from the Core you get, the more resourceful you have to be.

The moment the Republic seems unable - or unwilling - to help the Mid or Outer Rim worlds, then those Systems make their own deals with weapons manufacturers, Crime Lords, or even the Sith Empire for trade or protection. That makes for the most interesting gameplay in my opinion, where allies and enemies keep shifting, and you can't always rely on the Government for help.

That can apply to both Factions at the moment...
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 12/23/17, 10:06:56 PM »
0 Show voters
Bumping this for @Seraphie, as I know any developments within our community regarding Iokath will be of interest to her.
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 12/23/17, 10:14:38 PM »
0 Show voters
Whoops, meant to add this to my post above.

Just watched Episode 1: The Phantom Menace with the Younglings tonight, after we all went to see The Last Jedi last weekend.

• While on Tatooine, Watto calls Qui-Gon Jinn an Outlander.

Just some random trivia for you semi-related to our pretendy-fun time games.

Offline Darshendros

• Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 12/24/17, 08:33:00 AM »
0 Show voters
Whoops, meant to add this to my post above.

Just watched Episode 1: The Phantom Menace with the Younglings tonight, after we all went to see The Last Jedi last weekend.

• While on Tatooine, Watto calls Qui-Gon Jinn an Outlander.

Just some random trivia for you semi-related to our pretendy-fun time games.
Is that how they came up with that? I've always hated that name. It just sounds... stupid. I hated it even more when NPCs that actually know your name call you it. I mean, I know it was laziness on EA's part so they could just make a blanket story without needing to spend more money on extra recording time, but kdlfjhsdafgasdg :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 12/24/17, 06:40:44 PM »
0 Show voters
Given the number of coups that take place in the Sith Empire, I'd always default to a position of all things are true or none of them are. Now granted, a Sith Lord should have sufficient pull to know who is sitting the Throne, and what has happened to Republic High Command or the Senate, but if you allow a little gray area, and conflicting reports, then you can continue to play with that uncertainty, and uncertainty always leads to potential conflict.

As for the Republic, play off of the political inertia and military shortfall to allow our role-play to feel less like strong Galactic Republic, and more like desperate band of rebels struggling to get by. The further out from the Core you get, the more resourceful you have to be.

The moment the Republic seems unable - or unwilling - to help the Mid or Outer Rim worlds, then those Systems make their own deals with weapons manufacturers, Crime Lords, or even the Sith Empire for trade or protection. That makes for the most interesting gameplay in my opinion, where allies and enemies keep shifting, and you can't always rely on the Government for help.

That can apply to both Factions at the moment...

The problem with this is that characters who are involved in those things now have to be put into limbo, because there's no way to comment on it. I know a few of us have characters attached to the Senate, pretty sure they would know what's going on with the Senate and the Chancellor. Same for military characters; they'd probably know who's in charge, or at least know for sure that they're cut off and on their own. It works fine for those outer planets, but it doesn't work out well across the board.

Really, really can't wait for them to get the picture and bring the storylines together into one galaxy worldstate.
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 12/24/17, 11:26:53 PM »
0 Show voters
The problem with this is that characters who are involved in those things now have to be put into limbo, because there's no way to comment on it. I know a few of us have characters attached to the Senate, pretty sure they would know what's going on with the Senate and the Chancellor. Same for military characters; they'd probably know who's in charge, or at least know for sure that they're cut off and on their own.

You're absolutely right @Noth.

The cheeky answer is that BioWare wasn't concerned about such things, because there is no Senator, or Ambassador, or Military Commander classes in-game. They write stories for solo Jedi, roguish Smugglers, and lone wolf Sith who are having grand adventures. The writers don't write for role-players, because we always think about how our story fits into the bigger picture.

My only suggestion, is if those specific characters are important to your stories, then massage your ideas a bit, and find a reason why they might be out-of-range, out-of-touch, or distrustful of the information you are hearing. This allows you to continue to play and simply ignore the larger gap in the story and hopefully lessen the sense of the disappointment you might be feeling.

Don't let BioWare box you in. Find another angle and then you can be ready for whatever new Lore drop (or omission!) comes our way.

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 05/10/18, 06:21:29 AM »
0 Show voters
It's worth noting Marcus Trant, Director of the SIS, has been Schrodingered in the latest FP.
Jedi Master Telline - The Master of Shadows
Initiate Karia Zent - The Rising Hero
Aurena Durane - The Rogue Reporter

Online SquigglyV

• Don't you wish you shot like a girl?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 05/10/18, 07:14:16 AM »
0 Show voters

Kinda neat if Trant was actually in-game for once tho. I'm just going to continue assuming he's still alive, but I think the SIS is loosely organized (and underfunded) enough that there could reasonably be some IC confusion about his status.