BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

August 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Aug 23: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 23: Jedi Night: Mahara Kesh - 7:30 PM PST
Aug 25: Port of Call: Aaand... Sold!

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Nanowrimo 2017  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Nanowrimo 2017
« on: 10/28/17, 09:21:35 PM »
0 Show voters
Alright then everybody, it's almost that time again. If you have lingering stories you want to work on, even if it is just a few hundred word short story, give it another shot this November.

I will be doing it again this year and hopefully I won't get sick halfway through this time. It's time to get writting everybody. :whee:
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
Re: Nanowrimo 2017
« Reply #1 on: 10/28/17, 09:32:42 PM »
+1 Show voters
I want to do this this year! I haven't had the time to past years, but I do this time around. Sounds like a good excuse to write some of the fics I've been thinking of working on.
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/28/17, 09:44:47 PM »
0 Show voters
Sounds like a plan Noth. The goal is get people writing; it doesn't have to all be on one story or even novel sized. :)

Offline Ela

• Little ball of happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/29/17, 03:02:49 PM »
+1 Show voters
In!
| Alexandra 70 Sage | Meagan 70 Sharpshooter | Medley 70 Sentinel | Sariyah 70 Shadow |

@>~~~ SONG SQUADRON ~~~<@

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/31/17, 05:22:26 AM »
0 Show voters
Alright Ela, Noth, and anyone secretly trying. It's almost show time. :grin:

https://nanowrimo.org/

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/01/17, 09:00:37 PM »
0 Show voters
It's here! :whee: Even if you do not plan on writing 50,000 words, take aside a little time this month to just write out a few blurbs you've only had floating around in your head. You never know, maybe that will be the inspirational spark for a new short story.

Planners: Have you started working on an outline yet?

Pantsers: Have you started writing down the scenes you can see most vividly?

What helps you all to write?

What's holding you back from writing now?

Regardless, keep on thinking about those story ideas and jot down what you can. You'll be glad you did later. Now it's time for bed. Working all day, a long commute, and 3 hours of writing has me pooped.  :sleep:

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/03/17, 07:04:18 PM »
0 Show voters

NO AND I NEED TO, I only have the proto-outline, the outline of the outline...

Music! I put soundtracks in a playlist and hit shuffle.

I started working on a D&D homebrew and planning a campaign for my friends instead... oops.
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline Ela

• Little ball of happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/04/17, 05:09:32 AM »
0 Show voters

Yip! I have an idea that I've been head-canon-ing for a bit that I finally put on paper with my chicken scratch.

Wine! Hehe that makes me sound like such an alcho...but it keeps me from over-thinking every little detail and getting stuck in a rut.

Time and lack of energy. By the time I get home from work, feed the cat and myself, I just want to curl up on my couch.
| Alexandra 70 Sage | Meagan 70 Sharpshooter | Medley 70 Sentinel | Sariyah 70 Shadow |

@>~~~ SONG SQUADRON ~~~<@

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/04/17, 09:19:26 AM »
0 Show voters
@Noth! Working on a different project? :p However if you are writing creatively for that project it technically counts. The goal of Nano is to get you writing creatively, even if it is on multiple projects it still counts.

@Ela you know, I've heard that before from my Nano writing buddy. She said that one beer does the same thing for her. I don't really drink so I need to find something else but it seems like getting your brain to shut up about what it thinks is wrong is very helpful.

Something to keep in mind for everybody: what specific story knot is holding up the show?

Often times we'll get stuck in a place and we don't know how to get past it. I've found that we often can't do that because we haven't examined the knot close enough to know what exactly it is that is hemming us up. We just take it for granted that we have a road block and there is nothing we can do. That's not true, by figuring out what our knot is, we can pull an Alexander the Great and cut right through it!

What kind of knot do you have?

Is it you can't figure out what goes in the middle portion or how to get there?
Maybe some research on story structure will help. Story structure is not quite the same as an outline, it's more like a metaphorical coat rack on which you hang various elements of your story. The 5 Secrets of Story Structure is a free book that may help with this, give a try if this sounds like where you are stuck.
https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Story-Structure-Helping-Writers-ebook/dp/B01BHE3HXE

Can't figure out what it is your character should be doing right now?
Perhaps you need to spend more time fleshing them out so you know better who they are, or perhaps you need to focus on what the character is trying to accomplish. In every scene, every character is trying to accomplish something immediately and or overall. Follow the character's motivations to figure out what they would be working towards doing. Also consider what your story is pushing your character to do and how they react to that push.

Out of ideas on everything?
Sounds like your tank is creatively empty. Take a break from writing and fill 'er up! Watch moves, read stories, or in some way consume other people's stories. It will give you a break from the old grindstone and you may find inspiration or ideas that will fit in your own stories. However, don't just sit back and let the story wash over you, look for parts that you like and try to figure out why. Also, look at the story for pacing of scenes, order in which the story is released, and how the characters are developed.

Also consider reading a story that you hate or think is poorly written. I've found that the indignation that someone else actually went through with publishing something that you are sure you could do better than is a wonderful motivator. On a less petty note it also gives you the chance to identify things that you like about a story and things you want to avoid doing in your own.

If there are other specific knots you are struggling with, drop them in the thread and maybe we can work them out collectively. Onward to finished stories of whatever length!  :cheer:

Also, to dig a bit of inspiration up from last year:

http://begerencolony.org/index.php?topic=4586.msg51650#msg51650
...a little typographic picture of a quote that is attributed to Ira Glass from what I can find. It said this:

(I've attempted to recreate the picture as best as possible.)
Nobody tells this to people who are beginners,
I wish someone told me.
All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste

__________For the first couple years you make stuff, itís just not that good. Itís trying to be good, it has potential, but itís not.But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. ___________
A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit.
Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this.
We know our work doesnít have this special thing that we want it to have.
We all go through this._______________________________
And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you
gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is
__________do a lot of work.__________Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story.________

It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap,

and your work will be as good as your ambitions.

And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone Iíve ever met.

Itís gonna take awhile. Itís normal to take awhile.

Youíve just gotta fight your way through.

Offline Cyone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/05/17, 05:30:33 AM »
0 Show voters
Why do all of these weird little events happen in November? What is it about November!?

It's the little things that'll drive you mad, I tell ya.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/05/17, 09:04:01 PM »
0 Show voters
I should talk since I haven't even gotten started on writing yet today but don't forget to jot down some more words everybody. Remember, even if you don't make 50,000 words, write as much as you can. We can do this! :cheer:

As for why November.... um I dunno. I just assume it's a procrastination thing. January is too early. June is meh there are some other things to get done during that time. Oh yeah November, the year is almost up; we should probably get on that.
« Last Edit: 11/05/17, 09:14:17 PM by Imazi »

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/06/17, 05:44:41 PM »
0 Show voters
Don't forget to write down a few more sentences everybody.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/07/17, 09:02:57 PM »
0 Show voters
Write write write everybody! We're only in the first week but it's been a pretty hard journey so far, right?

Stick with it. Just 3 more weeks and you will have made it through the gauntlet. Even if you don't make 50,000 words or write everyday, just think about how proud of yourself you will be just for not giving up.

If nothing else, write one sentence a day so at the end of November you say that you didn't give up!

Having trouble figuring out what to write?
Change your mindset. Instead of trying to write it all at once, try focusing on one element at a time. For instance, focus on the setting, or focus on dialogue. As you are working, focus on that element across multiple scenes and while you are working on that you may get ideas for other things you need to work on.

Struggling with Dialogue?
Try RPing your characters. Think of your character as one you are typing for in game. What do you normally need to be able to RP a character? Is that missing from this one? Then flesh it out!

Completely out of ideas?
To a wiki! TV Tropes is a great place to start because the whole idea is that tropes are tools. Snag a few tropes as your starting point then build out from there.
WARNING... Wiki Link Ahead! Do not proceed unless you have several hours to waste.
http://tvtropes.org/

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11/08/17, 09:39:45 PM »
0 Show voters
Bump.

...you know.  :write:

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11/09/17, 09:42:36 PM »
0 Show voters
Welp I'm already falling behind on the target count but that is OK. I'm still writing each day regardless of how much progress I make. Some days will be good some not so good.

Keep writing everybody.

Are there any snags in particular you are hitting right now?

For me I'm having a hard time fleshing out my characters. I have the skeleton of a character but they are looking a bit thin. To round out my character I'm going to sift through character questionnaires until I find one that works.