BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

May 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
May 24: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
May 25: Dancer's Palace 9pm PDT
May 26: Gauntlet of the Empire Open RP
May 28: Indie Night - 7:30 PM Pacific
May 31: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jun 1: Dancer's Palace 9pm PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: So, Lootboxes  (Read 715 times)

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
Re: So, Lootboxes
« Reply #15 on: 11/16/17, 05:26:18 PM »
0 Show voters
@Karmic access to all DLC maps that get released.  Most all DICE/EA multiplayer games have followed that model for the last few years, as have others.

Single player too, such as the witcher or assassin's creed origins.  Usually refers to future expansions in those cases.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11/24/17, 11:58:05 AM »
0 Show voters
Talk about timing...

Thoughts from a RNG Loot box dev guy >>> (his twitter)

https://twitter.com/ZenOfDesign/status/930809632859344896

Great read.

He points out what Orell was discussing - with the need for the population of players to make the whole "MMO" part work.

Makes an excellent point that makes me go :facepalm:  to myself.  I knew it but never was able to put words to it.  Normal Play = Not a single penny.

The idea of being excited about new rng loot instead of "forced" and how yea, you do have to design a game around only 5-10% of players being generous whales; wanting to spend that money.

He discusses the success of Overwatch vs. Battlefront's face-slap fail.  TESO gets high mention off the bat as positively-moving forward models, instead of the EA model.

And yea - i'm with him 100%  I saw Funcom tap into the "happy" Of the Overwatch/TESO model to begin with; but then souring by turning into the more-like-EA-greedy feeling and creating the negative press and feeling; where now people resent paying at all and will refuse no matter what new offer might come.

I didn't go into the comments; just the dev's thoughts.  Man, I hope other game devs see the reality of this too.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11/27/17, 07:40:04 AM »
0 Show voters
Hawaii declares, "It's a trap!"

https://youtu.be/_akwfRuL4os
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11/27/17, 08:53:13 AM »
0 Show voters
Hwell then. That's a thing.
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11/27/17, 11:31:49 AM »
0 Show voters
Well I'll be damned...

Interesting; this next year or two may see (or may not) some big changes coming to how things are monetized.

And what versions of the lootboxes aren't "so gambling" and what versions are.

To me, Blizzard and EQ are not the same level of "predatory gambling practices" but perhaps the State won't see it that way.  We shall see.

It is different to me to take a Star Wars game, market it with the impression that anyone can play "vadar" or whatever (as in the commercials), and then lock that behind a huge grinding paywall...

Vs.  Overwatch, a game with no "bigger" crossover to hook "kids" in (as that interview is talking about), that lets you get everything "through regular play" (though hours spent certainly = more loot drops) OR you can buy the same RNG boxes for money and get the same things you would have gotten anyway.  The only "grind paywall" required is however long it takes you to get all the drops.

But maybe only one feels more predatory due to that "how much it costs to buy vadar" or something vs. "you get the same lootbox at a level ding as everyone else every time..."

Personally I'd love it if the banned all forms of lootboxes but I know that isn't going to happen.

And I know that if that did happen - yea, we're going to have to "be happy" with smaller/lesser games that we now have to pay for every little feature (cloak, color matching, no helmets, etc) and DLC with bigger prices in order to make things float.

Very...  interesting...

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11/27/17, 11:40:05 AM »
0 Show voters
I also found it...interesting... that this is "ok" for phone games (which are also marketed to children?) but not for a Star Wars title?

Dont know if that's ignorance on the part of the speaker about just how much money these "phone games" make on those RNG loot boxes (and with kids); or if they really think its different.

But that's what that guy was saying... "We first saw this ..." (ha no you didn't AAA games been doing this for years but ...anyway...)"..or you see this most often on the ipad/phone games...but now its the big event." 

No.  Not just Now.  Not new. Anyone remember what AAA/MMO did this first?  I know Overwatch didn't start it, and neither did SWTOR - who had the first rng loot box store? 

But if its ok for phone games why is it not also ok for "bigger games."   I'd argue all are marketed equally to children when it comes to commercials (star wars vs. candy balls and toy animals).  Is there a difference?  Guess politicians are going to decide..heh.

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11/27/17, 12:16:21 PM »
0 Show voters
I also found it...interesting... that this is "ok" for phone games (which are also marketed to children?) but not for a Star Wars title?

Dont know if that's ignorance on the part of the speaker about just how much money these "phone games" make on those RNG loot boxes (and with kids); or if they really think its different.

But that's what that guy was saying... "We first saw this ..." (ha no you didn't AAA games been doing this for years but ...anyway...)"..or you see this most often on the ipad/phone games...but now its the big event." 

No.  Not just Now.  Not new. Anyone remember what AAA/MMO did this first?  I know Overwatch didn't start it, and neither did SWTOR - who had the first rng loot box store? 

But if its ok for phone games why is it not also ok for "bigger games."   I'd argue all are marketed equally to children when it comes to commercials (star wars vs. candy balls and toy animals).  Is there a difference?  Guess politicians are going to decide..heh.

Could've been a Counter Strike or Team Fortress variant?

Counter Strike is definitely closer to gambling though, as you can sell the skins you get for real money.