BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

October 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Oct 25: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: the last jedi [spoiler city]  (Read 3243 times)

Re: the last jedi [spoiler city]
« Reply #30 on: 12/18/17, 10:42:19 PM »
0 Show voters
So...are we not gonna talk about the ironing droids that the first order has?

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12/19/17, 12:05:40 AM »
0 Show voters

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12/19/17, 12:50:42 AM »
0 Show voters
So...are we not gonna talk about the ironing droids that the first order has?

You think a Stormtroopers going to fold the commander's socks?
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

« Reply #33 on: 12/20/17, 01:58:32 PM »
0 Show voters
I mean....they had one working in sanitation on starkiller base

Offline Darshendros

• Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12/20/17, 02:33:39 PM »
0 Show voters
I was wrong. About everything. After interpreting the entire movie as a whole, I know now...

This is one of the greatest Star Wars film.

Also, this: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-list-of-some-of-the-times-the-last-jedi-told-the-olde-1821396631

Edit: Except the space physics parts. Seriously... come on, already.

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12/20/17, 04:50:51 PM »
0 Show voters
It could just be a happy coincidence, but after reflecting on the final duel some more, I remembered Yoda's words to Luke in E.S.B.;

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Iaera

• a spooky ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12/20/17, 05:15:19 PM »
0 Show voters
retired ~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

« Reply #37 on: 12/22/17, 11:44:10 AM »
0 Show voters
« Last Edit: 12/23/17, 10:11:14 AM by GabrielThorne »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12/22/17, 11:48:23 AM »
0 Show voters
Also, this: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-list-of-some-of-the-times-the-last-jedi-told-the-olde-1821396631

Gawker writing up to its usual standards, I see.

Yeah, it's a stupid article, but my read on it is more that they're celebrating the new-direction aspect of the film, not "it changed things therefore it sucks".

Still, dumb listicle is dumb.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Semah

• The sand remembers where the river was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12/23/17, 05:11:57 PM »
+1 Show voters
Just saw it with Livia. I don't really have a bunch of deep thoughts about it, and I'm sure that by now all the thoughts I'd have had have already been said. THEREFORE! I shall sum up in time for us to prevent Humperdink from marry Buttercup in little less than half an hour.

It was an excellently executed, well-acted, pretty great piece of Star Wars fan-fiction.

Wait, wait. No, seriously. Hold on. WAIT! That's not a bad thing.

Part of the joy and beauty of Star Wars is in its ability to be a big space-fantasy melting pot, where canon is only sorta canon and we can ignore midichlorians and porgs to the degree we wanna. At this point, fan fiction is all we have. Star Wars is a big prayer meeting! The First Reformed Jedi-as-warrior-monks-in-taoist-martial-arts-movies can sit down here together with the southern elevated Light-is-Nothing-Without-Darkness-Take-Seriousliers. Different perspectives enrich the pot. It's the best part of Star Wars as fantasy, not science fiction.

So I'm just grateful to have seen someone's Star Wars dreams put up on the big screen.
I'll ignore the fact that the First Order needs to fire whomever builds its ships without adequate point-defense systems.  :nuu:
I'll get over the way my hopes for Snoak were dashed horribly.  :cry:
Just give me another 30-second ending scene of kids playing with lightsaber brooms.  :lightside:  :aww:

Also, there were pretty great philosophical parallels with B5 in there. Kriff. I said I didn't have any deep thoughts, so let's pretend I didn't say that, ok?

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01/07/18, 02:09:22 PM »
0 Show voters
Whatever else people may think of the movie, this is an amazing screen capture;

I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Iaera

• a spooky ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01/07/18, 05:55:12 PM »
+2 Show voters
I'm of mixed thoughts on that fight scene. Part of me likes it, part of me doesn't like it.

I think Semah's explanation resolves it for me. It's fanfic, but at least it's interesting fanfic. Better than Kylo getting Luke pregnant, anyway.
retired ~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Cyone

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01/07/18, 06:42:28 PM »
0 Show voters
If only that fight scene's excellent choreography had been backed up by any substance at all. Imagine, if you will, that instead of these two practically prophetic characters of Rey and Kylo—repeatedly said and shown to be just about the two most powerful Force users around and our only laser-sword wielders outside of ex-Luke—struggling with and nearly being beaten at several points by a bunch of literal red-shirt randos after the battle with any actual stakes was already over, that those were the Knights of Ren. You know, all those other renegade students of Luke Skywalker himself we keep hearing about for no apparent reason other than that the words "Knights of Ren" sound cool coming out of different people's mouths. That would have been neat, and actually had meaning and impact as well as magnifying that of the dialogue and context of the situation that was there already. But I guess I'll take a nifty and pointless fight scene over nothing.

...oh the things I have to say about this movie. The many, many varied things. I wish I had the energy and the focus to read all the stuff in this thread so far, respond to it all point by point, and then rephrase and post here the virtual manifesto that is the culmination of all the discussions and rants and epic text bombs I've composed and dropped on this subject already (much less keep up with the ensuing results and discussion). Alas, I have no such mental resources at this time. I am virtually exhausted on that front already.

Then again, I suppose in a way that might be the closest I can get to summing up how I ultimately felt and feel about this movie in a sentence (brevity is NOT my strong suit): it makes me tired, confused, and conflicted just thinking about it.

Edit:

Having just read @Semah's post there, I can at least say I dig the sentiment in a big way. Helps me reconcile at least some of my own qualms as well. I am all about the wonderful diversity of geekdom.

...I just wish it felt like a Star Wars movie to me, and not so very opposite to that.
« Last Edit: 01/07/18, 06:50:42 PM by Cyone »

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01/07/18, 10:01:23 PM »
0 Show voters
I went and saw it just after Christmas, but haven't gotten around to posting on it, so...probably just repeating what others have said, but my take on this whole mix.

Rose. I liked her. :D I recall reading something that called her "the new Jar Jar". I did not get that vibe at all. Jar Jar was a chronic screwup (and remember, kids, he helped make the Empire!), whereas Rose is more of a chronic smartass. And a potential complication for a love shape in the works - because when we started, it was Finn and Rey, then Kylo Ren made it a triangle, and now Rose making it square. Although it could be more triangle-square-pentagon, since some might say it actually started with Finn and Poe...but I digress.

Leia's Force trick. Or, as I sarcastically said to my stepfather, "Carrie Poppins". I think that sums it up. And it's sad because Leia is given a HELL of a lot better treatment - a lot more stable family life, for starters (well, except for the kid who turned Sith, Jacen/Darth Caedus, the proto-Kylo) - in the EU, or the "Legends" canon or whatever the hell they're calling it nowadays. I mean, they actually let her have a lightsaber in the EU, for God's sake. She was a Jedi in her own right - as well as on-and-off Chief of State.

And at the risk of sounding snobbishly nitpicky, what the hell was up with Leia and Holdo in the fancy dresses when they're supposed to be military types? I mean, granted, it's more "paramilitary" than anything else, but jeez. Even the Rebellion had a sense of military decorum - the flowing outfits were saved for the civilian leadership, like Mon Mothma. And...were we supposed to care about Holdo and the way she went out? I mean, granted, it was cool and all, but...eh.

Luke's fate...I'm a bit torn, I'll confess - again, growing up on the EU, I think I kinda got spoiled by the idea of Luke actually being successful in creating a new Jedi Order, even with the bumps in the road along the way. By contrast, the underlying message of TLJ was basically that "failure is always an option", which - though true - seemed to be shoved down our throats here, particularly with Luke. The fact that first Han and then Luke died as broken shadows of their former selves (Luke especially), basically making one last big splash and then being tossed aside, kind of bothers me; it begs the question of "was it all worth it?"

I suppose that'll be what Episode IX is for...
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01/08/18, 12:15:50 AM »
0 Show voters

Saw it first at a regular cinema, then saw it again with my brother at IMAX. Loved it even more the second time.

Sure it has flaws, but I can see them and still appreciate the final product. I mean, if any of us could watch the original trilogy without the film of nostalgia over our eyes, the plotholes there are glaring af. I'm a Doctor Who fan - plot holes are run-of-the-mill 'Must be Tuesday' to me, and that's speaking as someone who hates time-travel related plothole's (See TLJ's director's last film, angrily scream with me at the end).

I don't care that it was different from the EU/Legends; we already have that, no one can take it away, it's just another continuum. Still trying to weigh in my mind which continuum is sadder and more tragic though...

I do feel like the movie played with your emotions a little too much - like how many sucker-punches to my heart and fake-outs do you think I need, bruh? - and the placement of a couple of funny moments were super over the top and innappropes.

The themes of hubris, Jedi superiority and toxic masculinity Ruining Everything really resonated with me. Also a word like 'hubris' in a Star Wars movie, such refreshing.
For those reasons I probably enjoyed Poe's character arc the most, though a good thing the Rebels are short on manpower because I'm almost certain he should've been shot for some of that well-intentioned but ultimately reckless treasonous fuckery.
Rey was a close second - I was actually really glad at the discovery of her parents' true identities. I felt I knew it all along, and that a point was going to be made of it. Let's take the galaxy the fuck away from the Skywalker's now, people. They've done enough.

Loved the pandering to the Rey/Kylo fanfiction that came to an abrupt ugly halt - best trolling in cinematic history. Also Kylo's bare barrelchest was super weird and I'll be skipping that scene every time on Blue-Ray. It felt like accidentally perving on a best friend's underage emo son. Ugh. :darkside: Downvote.

I thought the most emotional bit for me would be Leia's swoop through the vacuum of space; I was however not at all prepared for Luke's death scene... and as the music swelled and the wind snatched his cloak away I sobbed like a child, both times. Luke was really The It Guy growing up, for me - not Leia, or Han. I used to play as Luke in primary school when we played Star Wars, I started reading the EU comics and books initially after wanting to know about Luke's Jedi Temple, green became my fav colour for years after he revealed his new lightsabre in Return of the Jedi. After that, Mark Hamill himself continued to be a cool, inspirational guy and voice actor whose shows I continue to grow with not even realising it was him until much later. There was so much of both Luke and Mark in Last Jedi's Luke, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, even the fucking green milk scene.

I think that's it from me.

TL;DR I really liked it and I can't wait for this director to get his hands on Revan (IT'S NOT SPECULATION IF IT'S TRUE). I was kinda scared to share my opinion of the film online because of all the backlash people seem to be getting (really??? Really, internet???), but this thread has been nice and civil so far so nyeh. :grin:

EDIT: I FORGOT TO SAY HOW AMAZING THE LIGHTSPEED-DOOM WAS OMG BEST SCENE EVER. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SCIENCE

Also, BB-8 making mouse-droid sounds (badly) to try and blend in. Killed me. 10/10.
« Last Edit: 01/08/18, 12:17:53 AM by Aolani »
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire