BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

August 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Aug 23: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 23: Jedi Night: Mahara Kesh - 7:30 PM PST
Aug 25: Port of Call: Aaand... Sold!

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Can one resign from a Mandalorian Clan?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
Can one resign from a Mandalorian Clan?
« on: 01/31/18, 03:45:15 AM »
0 Show voters
...or otherwise part on good terms?

Just curious.
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
Re: Can one resign from a Mandalorian Clan?
« Reply #1 on: 01/31/18, 06:37:54 AM »
0 Show voters
Can't think of canon examples for or against, but my guess would be you can leave... but Force help you if you want to come back. My imagination is that at best you'd have to prove yourself to come back, at worst you'd have to fight for your life. And since clans are so individual, how they treat people choosing to leave would probably vary a lot depending on what the clan's culture is like. So... Up to you, I guess?
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline SquigglyV

• Together we stand. Divided we ambush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/31/18, 08:16:26 AM »
0 Show voters
I imagine that some clans might allow it as long as you stick to the resol'nare.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/31/18, 08:44:24 AM »
0 Show voters
It probably depends on a number of factors. The reason for leaving is probably the biggest factor. I imagine that creating a new clan or joining another clan (especially if through marriage) might be reasonably commonplace and acceptable (again depending on specifics), as while you're leaving that clan, you're not leaving Mandalorian culture as a whole.

But leaving the clans outright? Well... there'd probably have to be a good reason for it, and they might react with a "well, go ahead and leave, but we still consider you a brother"... or a "You dishonor us, and we're going to repay that dishonor with unsterilized blades".

The thing to remember is that... not everyone's cut out to be a warrior. Even if you're raised in the culture, born of two people that were great warriors themselves... well, we've all see enough children's cartoons to know that people aren't always that predictable.

Mandalorian civilization might be conservative and strict, but they're not idiots, and people just not being comfortable in the lifestyle and wanting to find a different life... that sort of thing would have to have come up in the past.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/31/18, 09:43:05 AM »
0 Show voters

Mandalorian civilization might be conservative and strict, but they're not idiots

When I used to RP I saw this type of stuff all the time.  People RPing Mandos as these infallible brutes who only walk around swearing and hating everyone else.  It got to the point where I saw it and hated it so often, I found myself missing a certain clan leader of ours....

Mandos are people too.  I think what Orell says sums it up. 

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/31/18, 10:55:53 AM »
+1 Show voters
Another couple points to remember:

1) Mandalorians may be a warrior culture, but they still have farmers, craftspeople, artists, and merchants. You have to be ready to put down your tools and pick up your weapon and armour to follow the call of Mand'alor or defend the clan, but running around getting into fights all the time is not a requirement of Mandalorian culture. Similar to the Sith, Mandalorians believe that conflict is vital to growth (although the Mandalorians view this as growth of the physical, self, and spiritual rather than the accumulation of power), and thus the reason for their warmongering and many individual's aggressive attitudes. But! As stated, not a requirement, and I'm certain there are clans who take a more philosophical approach to the idea of conflict (perhaps the seeds of the pacifism Mandalore embraces millennia later).

2) Mandalorians have spiritual beliefs. Those who die Mandalorian go to Manda, the afterlife, while those who do not, don't. For Mandalorians, keeping to the Resol'nare and being Mandalorian is also about preserving your soul. Think Valhalla for the Norse (ignoring that there are other places your soul can go in Norse mythology)--if you were a warrior, you wanted to die with a weapon in your hand and with glory so that you could dine with Odin and exist for the rest of eternity in a place of feasting and merrymaking. Alternatives were decidedly less appealing. The same goes for Mandos. If your clanmate wanted to leave the clan, I can imagine there would be some pretty intense fear from certain members depending on the circumstances of your departure. They'd want to ensure you were still Mando, even if you were far away. If you left on bad terms, well, you could be declared non-Mandalorian and everyone would believe that your soul wasn't going to Manda.

3) Keep in mind that most Mandalorians at this time are nomadic, or that the culture, at least, is one of being prepared to uproot at any time. I imagine that a Mandalorian going off alone forever might cause some concern--who will remember your deeds? Who will recount what happened to you if no one knows? Mandalorian ritual often involves oral history and recitation. The remembering of clan and those gone before is important to the culture. You could be forgotten, which, to a Mandalorian, is a painful possibility to consider.

So, in short, like others have said, it depends on the reasons for leaving. If you are declared dar'manda (not Mandalorian), you can expect a frosty reception wherever you come into contact with other Mandalorians. If you leave for more benign reasons, it's likely that there will be those trying to convince you not to for fear of your soul, your memory, and the general pain of losing a member in a society that is close knit regarding family and clan. If you're leaving for another clan, well, as long as you're not going to the Ordos. We've been feuding with them for years.
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/18, 12:03:06 AM »
0 Show voters
Might be interested in Rholan Drye - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rohlan_Dyre
Jedi Master Telline - The Master of Shadows
Initiate Karia Zent - The Rising Hero
Aurena Durane - The Rogue Reporter

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/18, 12:36:16 AM »
+1 Show voters
Might be interested in Rholan Drye - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rohlan_Dyre

Not sure if Rholan is the best example, though. Spoilers for the comics below.

Spoiler: show
There's a big difference between deserting in a time of declared war, but still maintaining your Mandalorian identity, and leaving a clan entirely in a peaceful lull. It was also during a time period when clan identity got subsumed into a large Mandalorian war machine, Crusaders vs Neo-Crusaders, etc. Rholan also specifically got involved in a conspiracy theory where he asked too many questions of the Mandalorian leadership and their motives, and was punished severely so he would stop asking those questions. The actual comic implies that his harsh treatment had more to do with poking around at Mand'alor's secrets than his refusal to fight.

Still, it might show how some clans treat desertion or refusing to follow orders.
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/18, 01:17:56 PM »
0 Show voters
I was wondering in the context of avoiding divided loyalties, including but not limited to marriage.  I.e., if a Mandalorian reaches adulthood and marries -- I dunno -- an Alderaanian, or someone else with a culture that's largely non-compatible with Mandalorian culture, for instance.  Or just reaches adulthood and decides, "Y'know what?  I don't want to be a space Mongol, thanks."

My understanding of Mandalorian culture is that there's a premium value placed on personal freedom; does that include the freedom to choose to not be a Mandalorian?
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/04/18, 03:07:14 PM »
0 Show voters
I was wondering in the context of avoiding divided loyalties, including but not limited to marriage.  I.e., if a Mandalorian reaches adulthood and marries -- I dunno -- an Alderaanian, or someone else with a culture that's largely non-compatible with Mandalorian culture, for instance.  Or just reaches adulthood and decides, "Y'know what?  I don't want to be a space Mongol, thanks."

My understanding of Mandalorian culture is that there's a premium value placed on personal freedom; does that include the freedom to choose to not be a Mandalorian?

Divided loyalties can work as long as the Resol'nare is followed.  That's what makes a Mandalorian a Mandalorian.  Anyone who follows the Resol'nare can call themselves a Mandalorian.  The freedom to -choose- not to be a Mandalorian would make them....not a Mandalorian.  If someone decides to just give it up, then they stop following the Resol'nare and they're known as dar'manda to everyone else, or no longer a Mandalorian.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/04/18, 03:28:48 PM »
0 Show voters

Divided loyalties can work as long as the Resol'nare is followed.  That's what makes a Mandalorian a Mandalorian.  Anyone who follows the Resol'nare can call themselves a Mandalorian.  The freedom to -choose- not to be a Mandalorian would make them....not a Mandalorian.  If someone decides to just give it up, then they stop following the Resol'nare and they're known as dar'manda to everyone else, or no longer a Mandalorian.

^^^

About marriage, in the BH story I know that Torian makes a big deal about wanting you to become a Mandalorian if you do a romance with him. I would imagine, based on that and how important family is to them, that spouses are adopted into the clan and become Mandalorians themselves, rather than having divided loyalties between their spouse and their clan.