BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

August 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Aug 23: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Aug 23: Jedi Night: Mahara Kesh - 7:30 PM PST
Aug 25: Port of Call: Aaand... Sold!

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: The Outfit Designer WIP Advice Thread  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
The Outfit Designer WIP Advice Thread
« on: 02/01/18, 04:12:10 PM »
0 Show voters
Couple people seemed interested in this, so I thought I would start if off: While we have a fashion thread for showing off our completed outfits, we lacked a thread for WIPs and getting advice and suggestions on outfit-building. This is that thread!

I'll start it off. I'm being nitpicky about one of my Mando's armor colors, and could use some tips. Here are full colormatches:

And some mis-matched colormatching in different lightings:

Her old armor is red/orange, but I was hoping to change up the color scheme a little to show character growth. Thoughts?
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Re: The Outfit Designer WIP Advice Thread
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/18, 04:28:20 PM »
0 Show voters
I like orange/orange better myself.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline SquigglyV

• Together we stand. Divided we ambush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/01/18, 05:10:57 PM »
0 Show voters
Aesthetically I quite like the orange and red with that chestplate. Not sure exactly what the original scheme looked like, so I can't tell if it's too similar or not.

Could also try the dark orange and light brown or dark brown and light orange dyes if you want to do more of a worn look, though i'll admit they're a bit drab.

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/01/18, 10:43:08 PM »
0 Show voters
I said when we chatted the other day, I'm a fan of the orange/orange, too!
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/02/18, 01:32:35 AM »
0 Show voters
Thanks for the tips! I'm running with the orange/orange for now. I just... really like those red shoulder plates...
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)

Offline SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/18, 11:10:15 AM »
0 Show voters

Does the red outfit on the left here look too fancy for an average Imperial officer? She's in a Sith-led unit which wears red armour too, but i'm unsure whether the red colour should be reserved for higher-ranking people or not.

The one on the right is normal, for reference.

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/03/18, 09:03:37 PM »
0 Show voters
I'm personally a fan of the centre option, but I think if the uniform for the unit is red, you can get away with it. The red looks nice, too.
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/04/18, 07:40:35 AM »
0 Show voters
The center option is too fancy for a Lieutenant Colonel I think, I put it in there but then decided I probably shouldn't use it on anyone below an Admiral. Fortunately I have another character using it, so it's still a thing!

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/18, 01:09:18 PM »
0 Show voters
Isn't white reserved for Grand Admirals?
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline SquigglyV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/04/18, 01:14:38 PM »
0 Show voters
Maybe in the Galactic Empire, but that's a few millennia away. :P

There's at least one Admiral who wears it in SWTOR, I think the Under-Moff wears it too, and Grand Moff Zellos's outfit also looked kind of white or at least light grey. So it's certainly a thing for higher-ranking people, not sure what exactly determines it tho.

Offline Sotekh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/04/18, 01:24:41 PM »
0 Show voters
To answer your original questions:  I don't think the red is too out-of-the-question for an officer.  Even for a grunt, if the Sith leading the unit decreed that all the troops really ought to be in red, then I wouldn't expect a private to reply, "I think I'll stick to olive."  :-)

Since the Sith ultimately outrank the military, and the Sith are notoriously egotistical, I find it very easy to imagine a Sith Lord expecting, even ordering, all of his or her troops to dress the way he or she wants simply out of personal vanity.  The basis of Sith society is the strong make the rules, after all; so Sith Lords tend to do what they want, right?  And who's going to stop them?  I can't see another Sith challenging them simply over their choice of uniform color. 

In short, in a universe filled with uninhibited, psychotic narcissists with magical powers (i.e., Sith), I'd actually find it stranger if there were *not* a bunch of customized units about.
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/04/18, 02:29:10 PM »
+1 Show voters
There's at least one Admiral who wears it in SWTOR,

Admiral Eldarus Villem (may he Rest In Peace) wore a white Naval Uniform. Unfortunately all my pictures are pre-Outfit Designer days, and I don't have many full body shots. My screenshots were mostly used for role-play threads.

I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/05/18, 12:56:50 AM »
0 Show voters
Maaaan Jade, that bloody elusive naval cap. I swear I've never seen it available for under a bajillion credits.

This thread is a great idea! I have come for aid. I'm trying to make Hazaly a couple of 'tribal gear' outfits for flashback screenies and the like, and am floundering a bit with where to start.

Skilled Hunter is nice, but also a little tacky, maybe?

Her people were tribal and war-like; think Vikings meet amazons, with Norse shamanism tied in with their Force use. Primitive but more out of poverty, aware of the technology of the greater galaxy.

Here's some tacky amazons from Xena, but their masks are bloody cool:

Here are some fantasy Vikings!

And some actual Vikings:

https://www.boredpanda.com/i-photograph-real-life-norwegian-viking-weddings/

Throw some ideas at me!  :grin:
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02/05/18, 02:04:53 AM »
0 Show voters
Tund Sorcerer has a nice helm that's vaguely Saxon-helmet-looking, for the Viking theme. Outlander Patroller chest piece has a nice leather armor type look to it as well. I'll keep looking and see what I can find on the 'tribal Amazon' side of things later on.

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02/05/18, 08:54:08 AM »
0 Show voters
Oooh, I love the Tund set, totally skipped my mind for some reason. the head and chest pieces are pretty good  :grin: thanks!
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire