BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

July 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jul 19: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jul 19: A Dread Mind
Jul 20: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST
Jul 26: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: We're all recovering geeks at one time or another.  (Read 5306 times)

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
We're all recovering geeks at one time or another.
« on: 06/25/12, 08:58:16 AM »
0 Show voters
Hi everyone,

recoveringgeek here.

Star Wars: The Old Republic represents my first Massively Multi-Player Online Role-Playing Game. (Unless you count custom-built persistent worlds via the first Neverwinter Nights CRPG.)

I work Financial Services as my day job.

For five minutes I was a published fantasy author.

I also dabbled heavily in writing for sequential art (that's comic book writing), got close, never broke in. Not an artist, can't draw my own scripts, and every artist I've ever partnered with has flaked on the project or abandoned their professionalism and stopped corresponding. *gives Disara a respectful nod*

I used to use a forum handle that represented the writer side of me. Used it everywhere. Started focusing back on family and career, let the writing slip, and after a few years, that handle didn't seem appropriate anymore. It was still me, but the old me. Used it on lots of forums, a few game sites, funny how even an internet handle can have a lot of baggage attached to it.

I let the e-mail accounts attached to that handle die too.

My family and I moved to a new community, and I wasn't writing, and then I hit a dry spell of almost four or five years with no significant gaming. No role-playing, few online games I could share with friends. I still own all my geek possessions from when I was a gangly teen until now. (That's approaching twenty-five years ago for you young whipper snappers, and the old dogs on this forum know what I'm talking about. Now get off my lawn!)

I started to think of myself as a recovering game addict, and then it just hit me.

recoveringgeek

It was so apt, and perfectly summed up my situation.

Shortly after I adopted it, I found a local game table to join, and promptly fell off the wagon. I'm back on the sauce and couldn't be happier. I still miss writing, but some Play-by-Post role-playing has helped fill that gap for now.

I've been role-playing in the Star Wars galaxy since West End Games published their first Star Wars role-playing game. I have the original core rulebook, and yes, it says First Edition printing inside. (You can Google the year that was published if you were still in the womb.)

The first character I made for the Star Wars Role-Playing Game by West End Games was a Jedi that may yet live again here in Vrook Lamar.

However, my longest running character was a Rebellion-era grizzled smuggler named Jade. I chose that name right when Mara Jade first saw print in Timothy Zahn's original Star Wars Thrawn trilogy of novels.

I liked the name because it lent itself so well to his ship name, which represented his family lost to the Empire years earlier. He flew a heavily modified Corellian freighter named;

The Jaded Dream.

As fun as a Jedi would be to play, I wanted to experience the roguish, scoundrel-side of the game via my old friend Jade. Thus the old man flies one more time...

The handle still fits though. I'll always be a recoveringgeek, especially now as I am so much older, and various parts of the hobby pass me by. Long tale, but I figured this was the place for it.

I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Nightmoon

• Parts Donor
  • Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter. -Y
    • View Profile
Re: We're all recovering geeks at one time or another.
« Reply #1 on: 07/11/12, 03:39:12 PM »
0 Show voters
Thank you for sharing.

I like your introduction a great deal. I envy people like you who can write a post with such fluid ease and then top if off with skillful humorous flair.  I don’t know how you do it. How do you manage to write a concise introduction, yet tell something that would take the rest of us multiple pages? 

You said you were a writer, but from what I can see you still are. If you write, you’re a writer.

Through the encouragement of one of my friends, I finally embraced my ‘geekness’ publically and added it into my professional presence online. To me, these MMOs (exploring the worlds and role-playing) have helped me be more creative as an individual.
The NightMoon Legacy:
Republic Characters:Trader, Reesu, Wild-card
Empire Characters: Darque, Jhet, Violensa

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/12/12, 12:34:02 AM »
0 Show voters
Thanks for the reply Darque, and the kind words.

I am a writer, just not a practicing one at the moment. My role-playing and my writing blend together, one feeding the other, and vice-versa. Your comment about your professional and personal personas mingling is interesting to me. At the time I was published (2005), I was fortunate enough to correspond with several published authors in the same genre I was in, and they all had very sage advice about professionalism, and how to conduct yourself online, and how to manage your web presence.

It's not even ten years later, and it seems that flying your geek flag is the way to not only get noticed, but get work! I always find myself playing catch up to the previous fad, and missing the current one as it zooms past me.
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/02/12, 10:22:41 PM »
0 Show voters
Hi Colonists.

This post is to let you know I am back from PAX Prime 2012, and also to inform you that I have suspended my account with The Old Republic for the time being.

Pax Prime was an amazing experience for me, and I even got to say hello to Miko and Hurrul, which was fun, considering I spotted them across the street... nice mohawk!

I mentioned in my introductory post that I am a published author, but I have not pursed my writing professionally for at least five or six years ongoing now. While at PAX, I reconnected with a couple of authors and editors I was corresponding with back in the mid 00's. I also did some networking with writers/publishers in both the gaming industry, and comics, two big passions of mine. I have a couple of contacts and want to vigorously pursue them while my energy and enthusiasm are high.

I have been playing TOR non-top since launch for about eight months, and this weekend was the first extended break I have had, and the opportunity to focus my creative energy in a new direction was refreshing.

I am not running off to play Guild Wars 2 or any other nonsense. I truly appreciate this community, and love my role-play here. I will miss my characters, but removing the temptation for distraction is designed to help me focus my time and creative efforts.

I will likely check in with the community from time to time, but I will not be actively posting as I once was. To all the players I have personally connected with, I thank you for making this experience so positive, and I apologize in advance if my absence negatively effects your characters in the short term.

Please keep up your amazing stories in a galaxy far, far away.

Offline Wrasynth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/03/12, 02:09:58 AM »
0 Show voters
+1

"Work smarter, not harder."

Offline Seselis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/12, 12:58:31 PM »
0 Show voters
I'll miss role playing with you, Jaade.  I do expect you to post a link to your publications.  If you're going to abandon us, it had better be for something worthwhile!  *teases*

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/28/12, 04:58:03 PM »
0 Show voters
So the writing projects continue, albeit slowly, as expected. So with the Not-A-Wedding event and a distinct lack of any other new games that really caught my interest, combined with the mess that is Free-to-Play, I've decided to resubscribe.

I know some old faces have left us, and some new ones joined us, so I look forward to seeing you all in-game soon. For the moment, I still have just the three characters in my signature, so please add me to your Friends list in-game, and say hello.

I may ask you for your forum handle too, just so I can keep track of everyone's characters.

Offline Shafferism

• Nothing Special.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/28/12, 08:41:52 PM »
0 Show voters
Yay! Jaade's coming back! It'll be awesome seeing you again, felt like way too long of a time since you left for that thing you call... Real life. *Shudder*
Currently levelling-

(Character list: Da'an, Horace, Sleth, Shaffer, Lazy-eye, Kaadus, Rhomen)

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/11/12, 11:55:14 PM »
0 Show voters
So as of Tuesday the 13th, I'll be away from the server, and visiting the Happiest Place on Earth. I thought I'd fly down there and ensure they get the new movie trilogy off to the right start. Or, I had planned a family vacation earlier this year. It's one of those two things.

I'll still be able to check in on the site and my e-mail via my phone, so leave me a message if anyone needs to get in touch. Otherwise, you won't see me in-game for a week and a half.

Have fun while I'm away. If anyone borrows the Jaded Dream while I am gone, I expect her returned with a full tank of fuel.

Offline Seselis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/12/12, 09:04:25 AM »
0 Show voters
If anyone borrows the Jaded Dream while I am gone, I expect her returned with a full tank of fuel.

Yeah whatever. 
Call me when you get back, I'll be on Taris or at a party somewhere fun, or working with Saura.  If you're going to be cheap, you can bill Colton for fuel and miscellaneous expenses that I put on your account.

Love,
Graal

P.S.  If you see some nice boots while you're gone, I wear a size 8.

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/28/12, 12:03:32 AM »
0 Show voters
So I mentioned while I was in Anaheim, that Colton, Lanse, and Disara graciously made the drive from L.A. to come have a drink and a bite with me. It was a great visit. I had our waitress take a picture for the Jedi Archives. (Right-click the photo and choose View Image.)

From left to right;

recoveringgeek (sporting his stylish Movember moustache*), Colton, Lanse, Disara

* Warning. Movember moustache does not actually make you look like Lando. Or look cool. Side effects include itching, scratching, pointing, and ridicule.

Offline Berym

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/26/13, 02:16:45 AM »
0 Show voters
Not dead yet, old man?

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/26/13, 10:34:50 AM »
0 Show voters
Not dead yet, old man?

If I'm still flying, then I'm not dying. A lot has changed since you left, Jedi, and some things haven't changed at all.

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05/26/13, 01:17:53 PM »
0 Show voters
"Recovering" implies you treat geekdom as a disease to be cured. It's no such thing. :P
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline Kupo

• Galactic tinsel bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05/26/13, 01:43:33 PM »
0 Show voters
"Recovering" implies you treat geekdom as a disease to be cured. It's no such thing. :P

Indeed I must agree there. =) Tis a wonderful thing!