BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: The Northern Expedition - ((Closed RP - Orell, Cordae))  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Cordae

• "Gird your souls with the armor of contempt..."
    • View Profile

In the northwest corner of the Allied Marches amid the dire mountains and life-killing cold sits the only official border crossing into Northern Kynmarch. The Marchers have always said that they are willing to speak with peaceful Northerners... however, the fact that there is only one official crossing should serve as a clue to you.

Although there is little in the way of a strict demarcation between North and South, the Marcher government has several pacts with the many and varied Kyn cities that inhabit the area's southern-most reaches. Most famous among these is the Pact of Alliance signed with the Roca, leader, of the sail-city of Sorqia. This pact, gained by a Marcher diplomatic expedition a few years ago, was essential in creating the Erinian Council, the intraplanetary body that dictate's Erini's place on the galactic stage.

You are far from the south and their long, sunny days. Here there is only the howl of wind and snow.

Outpost Polaris, Bannermarch

Nestled between two large mountain peaks is Polaris, the official Marcher cross point into Northern Kynmarch. The outpost itself is heavily fortified with armor, guns, and men, but the real strength lies in its natural barriers. The two mountains that flank the slanted, gray fortress are massive and have deep roots. A massive wall appears to grow forth from the mountains' sides, each running along the border as far as the eye can see. A guard tower is posted every couple thousand meters. The ground on either side of the wall up to 500 meters is illuminated by an impressive network of flood lights and lamp basins. And these are just some of the defenses which can be perceived by the naked eye...

The most obvious way through to the other side is through Polaris outpost. If that way is acceptable to you, you might start by approaching the official Royal Army checkpoint. Many signs along the way offer advice: "KEEP SLOW, NO WEAPONS, PERMITS READY."

In days past, entry would have been impossible...but with the lowered security ratings, things might be different.

If you would prefer a more...circuitous route to your objective, there are always the mountains. Or perhaps you'd prefer to dig? An adventurous and intrepid explorer could possible find more ways in...but you should be warned.

The Royal Army has been ordered to guard the wall. Both sides.
« Last Edit: 06/17/14, 03:11:08 PM by Cordae »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
Re: The Northern Expedition - ((Closed RP - Orell, Cordae))
« Reply #1 on: 06/17/14, 03:54:52 PM »
A large, black hovercar approaches the outpost, the vehicle's paint nearly absorbing any light that ventures close, save for the insignia of the Sith Empire on either side, marked in a deep red. The soldiers that view its approach would not see any weapons placed on it, but it still maintains a predatory air.

Still, it's approach is slow, cautious, floating over the snow as it slides to a stop at the checkpoint.

The driver, hidden from the soldiers outside, turns in his seat. "You're sure about this, ma'am?" Effet Ornell asks, his ashen head matching his dull white armor. "The border's pretty large, I'm certain you could slip past their patrols."

"Lieftenant, I do not need lessons on subterfuge from you," she replies, straightening out her robes.

"No, ma'am, but I recognize tank-killers when I see them. We go in like this, we can't come out in a real hurry, assuming they let us in at all."

"I doubt they would risk an intergallactic incident by refusing me access. Their people already knew I would be... interested in these Sh'aas. If we do not do things above board, we lose too much potential leverage, and things would be in danger of moving far too quickly."

"...if you say so, ma'am."

She turns to Effet, eyes narrowed. "I do. Now keep watch of the horizon, if the Sh'aas have any sense they will keep a close watch on this outpost. I want to know if they see us before we see them."

"That's a lot of horizon, ma'am."

"And you're a sniper. Where would you watch from?" she says, tapping the door and stepping out into the snow, frowning faintly.

Lord Quarasha was no friend of the cold. She settled for heavier robes, and a largely transparent sheathe for her lekku, but the wind still cut to the bone, and there was only so much a hairless species can do while standing in the fresh snow. She nevertheless endured, unmoving and staring at the nearest soldier, her documents in hand, waiting for one of them to approach and give her access to the true prize of Erini.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Cordae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/17/14, 09:40:02 PM »
Depending on the electronic warfare suite present in Quarasha's car, Ornell might get notifications of their being scanned. The scan would be looking for heat signatures and droid frequencies, along with any weapons hidden within. If the plating - or the countermeasures - were strong enough, they could be rebuffed.

A Royal Army soldier, a corporal if Quarasha has familiarized herself with Erinian military structures, approaches her. His hands rest casually on his las-rifle which causes it to swing against him with a thud as he walks. He stops around seven feet in front of her.

"Those are your forms, I assume?" He attempts to muster an authoritative tone as he believes befits his station, but his confusion at her presence and the general hatred of his environs seep their way through.

If she gives them, he takes them and begins to leaf through them. As he runs across a form with pict-ID, he looks up at her and looks her in the eye. "What's the purpose of your crossing..." His glance briefs her documents...and then again, with more scrutiny. He blinks, then looks back up. "...Lord Ambassador?"
« Last Edit: 06/17/14, 09:47:33 PM by Cordae »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/17/14, 11:28:26 PM »
Quarasha gazes evenly at the Corporal as he starts flipping through her papers, the comm in her ear speaking up. "Ma'am, they're scanning us. Probably can block it if you'd like."

She makes a small movement with her hand while the Corporal's eye is away, and the scan goes largely unimpeded, revealing a Lightsaber, blaster carbine, sniper rifle, blaster pistol, a Rattataki signature in the front and a droid in the rear. Not revealed, however, is the laser turret carefully hidden and powered down in the center of the vehicle.

She meets the Corporal's gaze, a frown crossing her face. "This is a diplomatic vehicle, Corporal. I have nothing to hide," she lies, "but it is generally customary to ask first before intrusive scans take place. Since you are so curious, however, the Rattataki in the front of the vehicle is my military advisor, driver and doing triple duty as a bodyguard on this trip, and the droid in the rear is a protocol model, versed in all of Erini's known languages, and should be able to communicate with those on the other side of the border."

"As for our purpose here, I am making a fact-finding mission into this land. I have met with representatives of every part of Erini save for those beyond this border, and as I am to represent the Empire to all of Erini, I think I rather need to meet with all members of your world, no matter how unpleasant."

She looks around at the imposing defenses, grimacing faintly as the continued snowfall. "I think you can appreciate the need for some degree of caution beyond your installation's protection. Now, it is disgustingly cold out here, and my species is not know for their love of icly climes. Are there any further questions, or can we return to our mutually more pleasant enclosures?" she adds, a sneer entering her tone, indicating that further questions would not be welcomed at this time.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Offline Cordae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/19/14, 12:10:16 PM »
The Corporal continues to inspect her papers. "We scan everything up here, ma'am,"  he offers, disinterested in her indignation, "It's a little bit dangerous out there. Though, our "intrusive scans" are showing you've figured that out by now." He glances at the uncomfortable Lord. "Hope you've got something warmer in that car of yours..."

He finally finishes looking through her ream of official documents and permits and hands them back to her. "Everything's in order. Normally, we'd need you to register those weapons..." the Corporal's sentence trails off as he looks past her at the intimidatingly-built hovercar. "But we've got all we need on them. If you'll return to your vehicle, I'll wave you down to the main gate."

Should Quarasha return to her car, Ornell would be waved past the checkpoint barricade - a series of duracrete barriers and one especially lonely-looking guard post - and on toward Polaris' main installation. Past the checkpoint, they would find themselves in an eerily empty section of untrodden snow quite apart from the well-defined tracks made by the outpost's guard contingent. After a few short minutes, they would be waved to a stop in front of a massive reinforced gate, presumably the last barrier between here and there. Another Royal Army soldier, a sergeant this time, dressed in a large, black greatcoat with army insignia, would step out of the gatehouse and beckon for the car's passenger compartment to lower its windows.
« Last Edit: 06/22/14, 09:38:45 AM by Cordae »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/19/14, 01:03:06 PM »
Quarasha frowned at the departing Corporal, briefly considering expending a few thousand volts on a brief lesson on how to treat Sith, but re-enters her vehicle, sighing at the warmth as she closes her door. "Ornell, make a not-"

"Corporal Reeves, according to his uniform," Effet said, interrupting the Sith "I don't think we could get him assigned somewhere colder, but I can think of a few ways to make him suffer."

She chuckled lightly. "When did you learn how to read minds, Lieftenant?"

"You're not the first Sith I've worked for, ma'am. Doubt you'll be the last."

"Don't be so sure, Lieftenant. I plan on living forever." She grinned, sensing his rolled eyes as the soldier drove through the checkpoint.

Effet looked around as they drove, nodding approvingly. "Not a bad setup they have here. These Sh'aas must give the locals a lot of trouble."

"I know what I see, Effet, but enlighten me."

"This is probably the only real flat place for kilometers, north or south. A nice long killzone, enough weapons to shred invading infantry, even if they're all Sith. It'd be a waste of resources otherwise. I bet the Sh'aas don't bother trying to invade anymore."

Quarasha smirked. "Indeed. No doubt they could handle an invasion if one came, but this looks largely for show. Halve the numbers and you'll get the same result, but the risks would be too great for the politicians to stomach."

"You'd know, ma'am..." Effet joked as he pulled up to the gate. "Think this one's for you."

Quarasha sighed and rolled the window down, beckoning the sergeant over, biting her tongue against the urge to joke with the man.

**edited by Cordae to reflect a change in ranks. The person Quar meets is a sergeant, not a captain as I'd originally posted**
« Last Edit: 06/19/14, 10:11:20 PM by Cordae »
Character List:

Offline Cordae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/19/14, 10:06:54 PM »
A Royal Army sergeant dressed in a greatcoat decorated with the liveries of his office steps out of the reinforced gatehouse entrance and nods his head to Quarasha. Before he bends over to speak with her, he shouts a command to another area of the gate. Within moments, claxons begin to blare as the massive gates slowly crunch their way open. Finally, he bends down toward Quarasha.

"Mornin', Lord. I'm Sergeant Tolgrin, adjutant to Captain Greiss-Tolqant, commander of the gatehouse. I see your papers are in order, so this'll be quick."

He pulls out a clipboard.

"I've...Oh."

He stops and turns as he fishes around in one of his greatcoat's pockets. After an awkward silence punctuated by howling alarms, he produced a data-chip and offers it to her. He continues to speak in a lilting, folk-ish accent. He is clearly not from around here.

"I've given you a chip with the most recent meteorological data we've got on the area. You'll notice a rather large circle on the map. That'd be the whole of the massive storm that's plagued this area for ages. Been here since time immemorial and none of us can figure out why. Best avoid that bugger."

"Go north enough and you'll hit the sea. Not much there. Go south enough and you'll run into a couple of Southern Kyn eventually. I'd....well, you know. They don't much care for Sith. Though, I don't think I have to tell you that!"
he adds genially.

"Right, that'll be about it, then. Anythin' major changes, you'll get word from us via official channels. Don't try to cross anywhere but here as we're the only place with a gate."

He nods at her. "Right. You take care, now."

He steps back, allowing her and her driver a good, hard look into the snowy unknown that is Northern Kynmarch.
« Last Edit: 06/19/14, 10:10:16 PM by Cordae »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/20/14, 02:00:56 AM »
Quarasha smiles at the Sergeant, taking the datachip and listening carefully to the information. "My thanks, Sergeant Tolgrin. We'll send word when we are on our way back, particularly if we need the gate opened in a rush."

She peeks her head out of the window, gazing into the frozen expanse beyond the gate, and looks back to the Sergeant. "I'll be extremely grateful if you be sure to keep an ear out. I'd hate to get trapped out there, and I always repay my favors," she adds, winking quickly as the window closes, the car taking them out, though the gate.

"5 credits says he's hoping you'll get him assigned somewhere warmer," Effet said, checking on the navigation system. "So, south to not-Jedi that'd probably kill us, north to an ocean of nothing, or towards an ugly, freezing, evil looking storm?" he joked, already working on plotting a route towards the storm.

The Sith settled into her seat, a wry smirk crossing her lips as she recognized his movements. "How did you figure that out yourself?"

"Easy, ma'am. I thought to myself, what's the one place on this bloody rock I don't want to go? And the answer just came to me."

"You find those that would try to kill us preferable to a little snow?"

"Yes, ma'am. That'd mean I'd be able to kill them back. Did I ever tell you about the week I spent on a mountain on Hoth?"

She chuckled. "If I recall, you did have a thermal generator in that little hole you dug for yourself."

"Yes, ma'am, I did, and that made it feel like about five degrees above freezing. For a week."

"My sympathies," she said honestly, a grimace of pain crossing her face, remembering her own visits to frozen worlds. "Would you like to know the REAL reason, Lieftenant?"

He shrugged, looking over at the navigation screen as he drove. "It's a long drive, ma'am, why not?"

"The eternal storm over Kaas City is not a natural one. The power of the Dark Side, in concentration in individuals over a large area... the exact meteorological physics off it are beyond me, but the power of the Sith draws the storm to the city, just as it is drawn to that area. Even here, I can feel something in the air, calling me to the storm. Our prize is there... whatever it may end up being."

"...just as you say, ma'am. Any odds of you narrowing it down a little?"

She sighed. Good help was so hard to find these days. "I will know more as we near it. In the meantime, drive. We will find a way to pass the time."

The passage of the armored vehicle was silent, for a time, hovering smoothly over the uneven snowfall, before the Sniper spoke up. "...I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with-"

"If you say S, Lieftenant," Quarasha interrupted, "I'll throw you into a ravine and drive myself."

"...how about I just stay quiet?" he added after a few seconds, grinning to himself.

"Good man."
Character List:

Offline Cordae

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/22/14, 10:16:03 AM »
And so Quarasha and Ornell make their way due west into the great Force-storm, itself as much a fixture of the landscape, dark and ever-looming, as the innumerable tons of snow and ice that buffets the surroundings.

As they draw nearer to the storm, they would notice that the land becomes rougher and rougher, the snow and ice forming sheets over ragged dunes and valleys. The air temperature in the immediate vicinity of the storm has, in flagrant defiance of all rules of decency, managed to drop several degrees lower. The propulsion systems belonging to vehicles of lesser quality will have stopped working. High quality vehicles remain unchallenged, but there is a great deal of storm yet to be traversed.

The wind grows stronger yet and hammers one side of the car relentlessly...It howls around them. But is it the wind that howls?

After a couple of hours, they are still in the storm. Without warning, they are struck by a wave of Force-energy!

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/22/14, 12:17:57 PM »
Silence reigns in the car as they head further into the storm. The ice, rough terrain, heavy winds and more would have brought low a lesser vehicle, but Imperials are no strangers to the dangers diplomats can face... mainly because they are the danger a lot of the time. This diplomatic vehicle in particular could do decent service as a troop transport... with better seats, of course.

Effet glances back into the passenger compartment as they begin to enter the storm, scowling as he sees the Sith Lord napping. He didn't sign up for being a Sith's lapdog driver. It should have been Rylar here driving. Effet knew that all her was here to do was hold her luggage, drive her car and die at the first sign of trouble...

His mind flashed back to his assignment before Quarasha reassigned him. A garden world. Endless expanses of farmland, full of humans that had never seen a Rattataki before. No enemies to fight there, just quiet guard shifts, nothing more.

He glanced outside, sighing. There are worse things than driving through a snowstorm, after all. "The cold never bothered me anyway," he muttered to himself.

-------

Effet glanced back into the passengar compartment as he heard Quarasha rousing from her nap. "...mmm, how long...?" she managed through her yawn.

"Couple hours, ma'am."

He tried not to watch her stretch, focusing of keeping the car from crashing through anything. "Did I miss anything, Lieftenant?"

"It started snowing. Well, snowing more. I don't think we're at Hoth Blizzard levels yet, but not by that much."

"Any issue with the car? How's visibility?"

Effet rolled his eyes. "Ma'am, I think this car could drive through an artillery barrage. A little snow's not going to bother it. Visibility's maybe twenty meters, but the scanners are cutting right through, no chance of us hitting a r-"

The car gets thrown to the side hard, the vehicle's alarms screaming their protests. "That wasn't a rock!" Effet exclaimed, fighting to get the vehicle under control.

"Stop the car and warm up the turret!" Quarasha shouted, pulling on a nice, warm facemask and grabbing her Lightsaber, bracing herself for the temperature change. "Do not fire unless I order it!"

Effet nods. "What are you going to d-" he starts, before hearing the door open. "...ask a stupid question..."

Quarasha dives out into the snow, keeping low and drawing the Force around her, hiding her from sight, as well as keeping the warmth in as best she could. She closes her eyes and opens her mind, reaching out to the Force and trying to sense where the attack came from... and how many foes she might face now.
Character List:

Offline Cordae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/23/14, 09:19:50 PM »
Quarasha finds herself surrounded on all sides by the hateful blizzard, but...all is not as it seems. The storm has stopped in a dome around her, leaving a large circle of relative calm. The snow she walks on is hard as pavement from years of hostile cold.

With no warning, a booming, ethereal voice claps forth from the storm with staggering force. The sound fills Quarasha's ears and expands inside her head, pounding with every syllable and rattles Effet's bones where he sits.

TOREK. LEVIANATHEE. LEVIA WHEREALL.

As if on queue, three figures jump out of the storm. They wear cloth, leather, and bone armor, their helmets the skulls of fallen native predators. Quarasha can sense that many of the more ornate pieces are force-bound. These warriors are experienced. And they are angry. Are they invincible as well?

Savage war cries issue forth from their helmeted faces, breath-fog streaming out around their necks as they lunge forth and charge at her. One has a sova, one has a force-imbued metal axe, and the final challenger has a force-imbued spear.
« Last Edit: 06/23/14, 09:25:51 PM by Cordae »

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06/23/14, 11:09:16 PM »
Effet winces, struggling with the turret controls. "Droid! Translate, Torek Levianathee Levia Whereall, and do it quickly!"

The turret is unforunately slow to respond, a combination of the icy temperatures, wind chill, and a power supply sadly overtaxed by the heating and hovercraft demands.

Quarasha, however, grins at the primative armor and weapons. "It's probably best to leave them all alive, and help them understand how outmatched they are. First impressions and all," she thought to herself,

The Sova was the largest threat, of course. A wave of Force coming from the assassin knocked the other two away, just as she sprung towards the Sova weilder, her lightsaber igniting into a purple beam, pushing against the Sova's blade and finding little room for movement... at least until her foot stomped down hard against the warrior's instep, crushing it against the frozen ground.

She springs back as the warrior's concentration falters, a broken foot too much to ignore, and leaps forward again, bringing her knee against his chin, knocking his head back, and driving him down to the ice.

Quarasha grins at the fallen warrior, but almost relishes her victory there too long, reacting almost too late to the thrust of the spear, dodging away, and sliding under the heavy swing of the axe, backing away, eyeing the two warriors.

Another thrust of the spear forced another parry by the Sith, frowning at the metal refusing to get cut by her blade. The axe weilder strafed to the side, the spear's thrusts continuing to force Quarasha's attention. Their strategy was clear to her, force her onto the defensive and overwhelm, the blade couldn't move fast enough to block every strike.

It would only be a matter of time, Quarasha dodging and deflecting and buying time until the inevitable killing blow... unless she wrapped the Force around her once again, hiding from sight and racing around the axe weilder, bringing the hilt of her Lightsaber down on his head, her strength imbued with the force, guaranteeing a knock-out.

She smirked at the spearman, holding her Lightsaber aloft, waiting for his next move. He didn't disappoint, going for another thrust... not that it mattered, as Quarasha dodged back, out of reach, and extended her free hand, drawing upon the Dark Side and sending a torrent of Lightning into his body. "I am Sith," she finally spoke, speaking Basic, slowly, enunceating clearly. "The Kyn call my kind Sh'aas. Talk or die." She waited, seeing if he understood any of her words, and if her droid would be needed to translate.
Character List:

Offline Cordae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06/24/14, 08:48:27 AM »
The fallen spearman under Quarasha's foot looks up at her, cold eyes with yellow irises visible through the slats of his helmet. Despite his injuries, the look on his face does not betray fear or even pain. Is it...annoyance?

Yes, it is definitely annoyed. It levels a flat look at Quarasha as she speaks, unfamiliar with the title "Sith".

The warrior's expression suddenly changes as she utters "sh'aas", however. Despite Quarasha's ultimatum, the fallen warrior continues to stare silently up at her. He is now clearly confused, but also intensely interested...

His eyes flicker to the other life in the hover car, then back to her. Though by all rights, she has bested him, he does not appear any worse for wear. In fact, neither do his compatriots...who are mysteriously gone.

He opens his mouth to speak, but his initial words pour out of his mouth accompanied by wisps of energy and shadow. His voice is many voices, all speaking the same language, but from different owners. The wisps travel out into the frozen air, curiously still, and surround Quarasha. She can feel them in her subconscious, not malevolent, but investigative. She feels them pull softly at the edges of the sum of her knowledge, seeking.

They pull back immediately into the warrior's mouth. He seems...enlightened, exploring the content he has just scooped out of her. He begins to speak in [[Quarasha's most closely held spoken language ((Basic? Ryl?))]] with the voice from before, full, but less loudly.

"You are like nothing we have seen here, from east or south. Why...are you here, outlander?"

As Quarasha makes what is probably considered to be first contact, it could be assumed from anyone watching that Effet Ornell is the most confused he's been in a good long while. For all he knows, he was just driving along in this godawful weather until Quarasha suddenly leaped out of the car, weapons raised, and began shadowboxing with foes who were clearly not there.

He saw no foe, heard no voice, and is, ostensibly, idling in the snow. He may be curious for his Lord's sanity.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06/24/14, 02:47:20 PM »
Effet sighed, hearing the ping of the turret warmed up. In fairness, he wasn't too surprised that the slumbering Sith Lord suddenly lept out of the car and started fighting invisible enemies. He'd spent too long around Sith to be surprised by anything they do. Jumping out of the vehicle without a word, dancing around like she was fighting and then talking to nothing?

Either something Force-related was happening to her, in which case being ready to respond to a threat is mandatory, or her mind finally snapped, and he might need to kill her before she could kill him... in which case the armored vehicle with the turret sounded even better.

Besides, at least she wasn't swinging the Lightsaber at him yet.

Protocol was clear, at least for a by the book Imperial soldier. Get ready for anything, keep your distance from the Sith having a moment, be ready to assist if this is an actual threat, and don't mention it after unless they do first.

It was amazing how much of the Imperial Soldier's handbook involved how not to piss off and get murdered by Sith...

----

Quarasha looks around, noting that the fallen foes have disappeared, before gazing back at the one speaking, inwardly grateful at the lack of need for the droid as the Basic language comes in clear. "My name is Quarasha, and I am a Lord of the Sith Empire, a powerful collection of planets. Our territory is not South or East of here, but up, stretching across a third of the galaxy."

She looks around. "The image before me is a simple illusion, is it not? I would speak with you myself, face to face. Your people and mine have much in common, I think, and have much to offer one another. Power, knowledge, freedom from this frozen mountaintop... the opportunity is there, all you need is to seize it."
« Last Edit: 06/24/14, 02:50:56 PM by Orell »
Character List:

Offline Cordae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06/26/14, 12:44:34 PM »
The fallen warrior rights himself with almost no effort despite the thrashing Quarasha had previously given him.

"You talk with great authority on things you do not know, outlander. Your titles and your planets mean little to us. We speak to you through much more than illusion."

Before her eyes, the warrior begins to fade into nothing. The voice remains and begins to speak again.

"Your words are interesting to us. The knowledge of where to find one of us is given to you. If you are able to arrive without dying, we will speak more."

As soon as the voice finishes speaking, the entire world around Quarasha gives way to reality. She finds herself surrounded by snow drifts and pools of ice - snow melted by her lightning - and the heavy thickness of the storm. She feels a completely natural inclination to go due southwest, as if she already knows the way.