BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

July 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jul 19: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jul 19: A Dread Mind
Jul 20: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST
Jul 26: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Strongholds  (Read 10522 times)

Offline Iaera

• Arbiter
  • Jeeeeeeediiiiiii
    • View Profile
Let's Talk About Strongholds
« on: 07/12/14, 11:57:43 AM »
0 Show voters
I've been posting quite a bit about Custodum's Shiny New HQ in our guild forum, but it occurs to me that with information now making its way to us about the Stronghold system, we might benefit from having a more community-oriented discussion about their impact on the wider RP scene.

A brief recap of pertinent information from the latest livestream:

• Strongholds can be invite-only, or publicly listed for anyone to visit (with a ban list similar to the ignore list)
  • Coruscant and DK strongholds can be publicly listed for just Republic and just Empire characters, respectively.
  • NS and Tatooine strongholds can be publicly listed for just Republic, just Empire, or both factions.
  • Strongholds not publicly listed for a given faction can still be visited by that faction via invite from the owner or Silver Key guests.
  • Bronze Keys can visit a stronghold even when the owner is offline. Silver Keys can also invite other players. Gold Keys can decorate a stronghold.
  • Personal stronghold owners are Gold Key, and can give out Silver Keys or Bronze Keys to other characters.*
  • Guild strongholds are identical** to regular strongholds, except multiple Gold Keys may be distributed to members.
*As far as I know, Gold Keys can only be distributed for guild strongholds, not personal ones.
**This wasn't 100% explicitly stated, but it was implied with 99% certainty. I would be very, very surprised if this was not the case, based on what they've said so far.

So, in other words, by all accounts Strongholds can effectively function as our own custom-built RP spaces. Given the power of their decoration system (which is one iota shy from full free-form placement!), we are limited only by the existing floorplan (of which there are four right now, one for each planet).

With that in mind... let's talk about what we can do as a community! Custodum's new HQ, for example, will remain publicly listed. As a Coruscant stronghold, any Republic character will be free to pop in and say hi. This makes it ideal for all kinds of RP! And because you can even invite cross-faction, that door will be open for odd-ball situations (like that time we mugged Odon).

I'm going to go ahead and let the cat out of the bag, and say now that I plan on using my Nar Shaddaa and possibly my Tatooine stronghold as a re-configurable GM-space for running missions and events. While the floorplan will unfortunately have to be more or less the same every time, that's no worse than the existing in-game events where we hijack stand-in geometry in various parts of the game world for our own purposes. The difference now is that we'll be able to actually control its contents with fine detail, and be able to change it as much as we want, in our own private space! There are even placeable NPCs!

So, fellow Begerenites Begerians Beggars Nice People, what can we do with Strongholds as a community? Will your guild have a public RP space? Will your personal strongholds function as another kind of public RP space? In every game I have ever RPed in, someone inevitably wants to run their own bar. Will we make our own custom cantina?

Let's BRAINULATE!
« Last Edit: 07/12/14, 12:18:14 PM by Iaera »
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fiat justitia ruat clum

Iaera Farworlder - Jedi Master, lightsaber instructor, Jedi Custodum
Sibyl-ko Tanaji - ex-punk, fighter pilot, Argent Squadron
also many alts i never play ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Hawking

• Deep Quote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk About Strongholds
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/14, 03:57:48 PM »
+1 Show voters
The Gospel saw that you pissy Jedi are getting your nice little HQ, so, naturally, we're one-upping you with the Emperor's own personal pimp mansion chapel and Sith-hang-outy-area, so that all the evil-doers in the galaxy can turn up, say a quick prayer, and enjoy the ambiance.
May or may not be used as a secondary HQ to the inevitable Flagship addition.

Characters:

-Hawking Shatari, Master of Myserty
-Aspasia Maguire, Smack Talker
-Rieko "Boogie" Black, Agent of the Empire

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/12/14, 04:07:48 PM »
0 Show voters
I know Ieara so exciting...  :aww:  :grin:

I'm waiting to make any final decisions about Karmic's PLeasure Palace in Shaddaa (though I am certianly open for it being used as a public space... suggestions welcome..  as much as a semi-private/personal office space...) till I see what limitations and such are on preferred status vs. full subscription -

Depending on the cost of things, determines how many properties I may ultimatley get, which would of course all effect how much into the decoration and such I can do =D.

If I'im quite limited I may have to keep the space semi-private (i.e. small gatherings of various Karmic friends or groups or whatever... offline or online don't care... some type of more-open office..) vs. a private home - vs. if I can get more than one property I'd love to provide an open RP space for all use.

Just trying to narrow options down while coming up with RP spaces I know would be used by everyone =D so I'm all for ideas!

Edit to Add: As the only "active" person in my guild, not sure how all that works with guild strongholds and cost and such.  So we shall see.  I doubt I'll be able to afford to do anything with it, though I'd certianly love to be able to provide a public RP space for that as well if I could - as it will be unused otherwise.
« Last Edit: 07/12/14, 04:23:13 PM by Karmic »

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/14, 09:26:15 PM »
0 Show voters
Edit to Add: As the only "active" person in my guild, not sure how all that works with guild strongholds and cost and such.  So we shall see.  I doubt I'll be able to afford to do anything with it, though I'd certianly love to be able to provide a public RP space for that as well if I could - as it will be unused otherwise.

Karmic, I always wondered why after your guild died you haven't considered going guild with Krayt Industries :D I'm sure people could/would be interested in RPing working for a company like that. Then your guild stronghold could be like head office.  :halo: Food for thought.

I actually have no idea what I'm gonna do with own character strongholds, sans Phrixos. If anyone wants to throw any ideas my way :P

My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Saberlain

• I remember Life... Glad it's over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/12/14, 09:32:59 PM »
0 Show voters

Karmic, I always wondered why after your guild died you haven't considered going guild with Krayt Industries :D I'm sure people could/would be interested in RPing working for a company like that. Then your guild stronghold could be like head office.  :halo: Food for thought.

I actually have no idea what I'm gonna do with own character strongholds, sans Phrixos. If anyone wants to throw any ideas my way :P

If it weren't for the fact that I probably won't get one... I'd totally make Telann'a's office... :P

Offline Ollin

• Smart Wireless Monitoring and Arm Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/12/14, 10:25:20 PM »
0 Show voters

Aolanni's quarters on Tython (OOC Coruscant), maybe?

Offline Aybri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/13/14, 02:23:26 AM »
0 Show voters
Think I'm going to skip with the classic Ship-as-my-Home deal. When time passes and I amass an insane amount of credits ((or Cartel Coins, its going to be a bitch to collect)), I will get the Tatooine Stronghold, since it just looks so nice!  :grin:

Offline Brintte

• Nistia
  • You saw nothing......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/13/14, 05:51:09 AM »
0 Show voters
I already decided that:

DK: Kebaliya's personal estate
Coruscant: Xagert's quarters
Tatooine: Silooni's hidey-hole
Nar Shaddaa: Brintte's personal appartment for when she needs a break.

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/13/14, 07:41:35 AM »
0 Show voters
I'm developing possibilities myself...I know the one on Dromund Kaas will be Malagant's estate, that much I'm sure of. The rest, I'm not sure. After thinking on it, I don't think the use of the Nar Shaddaa sky palace will work as anything except being ON Nar Shaddaa...but it being palacey and all, I may still end up using it for Cyanoculus, for those trips where he leaves Reydovan Prime to attend the gatherings on worlds in Hutt Space (like, for instance, the barge night on Nar Shaddaa, lol). I'll probably have a better idea when Strongholds opens.

As for the other two...I am not 100% sure who would use a homestead on Tatooine. I'm debating either having it as a hideaway for my less-than-law-abiding citizens (I have two bounty hunters and a smuggler I'm playing as kind of a pirate), or as an intelligence post for the IRDF (so it would be manned by Velade, Varan, Tethik, so on). The one on Coruscant, I was originally thinking as Captain Linavil's apartments (since her parents also live on Coruscant), but with Iaera giving the idea for the Custodum guild stronghold on Coruscant, I'm thinking it may be a "subsidiary" of that - personal quarters for Katran and/or Caradell.
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/13/14, 10:10:03 AM »
0 Show voters
I'm thinking for my RP of getting two strongholds: Nar Shaddaa will be more Noxturna and her family's stronghold. The "Aeterna" stronghold, and then Crimsen will have the stronghold on Dromund Kaas. While all are legacy wide, I simply can't see Darth Noxturna and Crimsen sharing a dwelling place, though they both will have free access to both.

So, Noxturna's will focus more on raiding and being kind of a military base with a simple family dwelling for her, Tas'meel (her hubby), he son Bal'tor, and their new child who is in the making. Then Crimsen's will be designed more as an Imperial Agent  base with Sith Elements.  Like he'll have computers and access to Intelligence HQ's stuff, while some rooms will be meditation and a library of Sith resources.

Not sure where Infernia will fit in this, as she hasn't really become as big as two mains have but we'll see.

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/13/14, 10:41:49 AM »
0 Show voters
Are any of the Dancer's Retreat "owners" still subscribers?

Is there any interest or resources (Cartel Coins, Credits) to turn someone's Nar Shaddaa Stronghold into an updated version of the barge?

You can even finally have private offices, a lounge and a gambling floor. The balcony still gives the feeling of hovering over the ecumenopolis with the sprawl below.

Decorations and actual chairs and benches would go a long way to allowing for a bar/lounge atmosphere. If anyone with the serving droid pet had one, they could deploy them to act as droid servers lingering in the background...
Jaade, Captain of the Gozanti Cruiser; Jaded Dream - Wanted by the Republic
Weequay, A weequay bounty hunter

Empire Characters
:darkside: Eldarus Villem, Admiral of the Harrower-Class Dreadnaught; Rancorous
:darkside: Paskr Villem, Captain of the Harrower-Class Dreadnaught; Rancorous
J'aade, Captain of the Gozanti Cruiser; Jaded Dream - Wanted by the Republic
Ruskk, Twi'lek enforcer for Bloasus the Hutt
Prototype-one, Taelios Genetech Industries war droid
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07/13/14, 10:52:25 AM »
0 Show voters

Is there any interest or resources (Cartel Coins, Credits) to turn someone's Nar Shaddaa Stronghold into an updated version of the barge?

You can even finally have private offices, a lounge and a gambling floor. The balcony still gives the feeling of hovering over the ecumenopolis with the sprawl below.

Decorations and actual chairs and benches would go a long way to allowing for a bar/lounge atmosphere. If anyone with the serving droid pet had one, they could deploy them to act as droid servers lingering in the background...

Yes, and something I'm considering. Though I may want the Nar Shaddaa stronghold as Minnette's appartment. Depending upon how keys work, and if specific rooms can be left locked, it might be able to serve as both. Given Anaris and I are the only two active members of our guild, depending upon the cost of guild strongholds I might have a look at that as a possibility too.

As we're on the topic...
Nar Shaddaa as I said, either Minnette's appartment, or Dancer's Retreat, or some new club.
Tatooine homestead will definitely be Stell and Anaris' home.
Kaeilyn might look at a Dromund Kaas appartment, not sure, or maybe for Vilionne.
Not sure about Coruscant, but I have lots of characters not yet very high up and not yet really in rp, so might end up being an appartment for Cher.

Offline Saberlain

• I remember Life... Glad it's over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07/13/14, 01:16:09 PM »
0 Show voters

Yes, and something I'm considering. Though I may want the Nar Shaddaa stronghold as Minnette's appartment. Depending upon how keys work, and if specific rooms can be left locked, it might be able to serve as both. Given Anaris and I are the only two active members of our guild, depending upon the cost of guild strongholds I might have a look at that as a possibility too.

As we're on the topic...
Nar Shaddaa as I said, either Minnette's appartment, or Dancer's Retreat, or some new club.
Tatooine homestead will definitely be Stell and Anaris' home.
Kaeilyn might look at a Dromund Kaas appartment, not sure, or maybe for Vilionne.
Not sure about Coruscant, but I have lots of characters not yet very high up and not yet really in rp, so might end up being an appartment for Cher.

I really like this idea... Not sure how it would work with accessibility, but having the Dancer's Retreat turned into a Club would be awesome... Perhaps make it a guild stronghold? (Can you give people keys to those?)

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07/13/14, 01:22:23 PM »
0 Show voters
I really like this idea... Not sure how it would work with accessibility, but having the Dancer's Retreat turned into a Club would be awesome... Perhaps make it a guild stronghold? (Can you give people keys to those?)

Or even make it publicly listed and open. Not sure. Waiting to see what it all looks like when it comes out.

Offline Nascuyan

• Parjai par Aliit Bes'uliik
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/13/14, 01:30:41 PM »
0 Show voters
Publicly listing any strongholds for RP will probably be a bad idea, I think. We should probably just hand out an excessive amount of keys and make a thread for people to request keys. To keep out trolls, you know.