BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

October 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Oct 25: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Poll

When would you like to move into the KOTFE timeskip?

Let's do it NOW!  No waiting, I wanna put on my mohawk and leather jacket already!
0 (0%)
Let's do it as soon as KOTFE goes live for Early Access!
0 (0%)
Let's get skippy when Early Access ends!
2 (5.4%)
Let's give it a month to breathe, let it decant a bit in our brains.
21 (56.8%)
Let's wait 'til January 1st, 'til Season 2 of KOTFE is about to come out!
14 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Time To Talk About Timeskip!  (Read 2335 times)

Online blingdenston

• Parts Donor
  • A tragic history that really resonates with idiots
    • View Profile
Time To Talk About Timeskip!
« on: 10/12/15, 04:42:38 PM »
0 Show voters
With the expansion breathing down our necks like the Minotaur with a schnozzfull of Athenian, we oughtta really discuss what we want to do.

Some folks have proposed jumping in as soon as KOTFE goes live.  Others have suggested a month, while still others have suggested we wait until January 1st!  These are all options, and I think they're all good ones.

What do YOU think?  What different modalities of timeskip reckoning should we use?  When do YOU intend to throw that switch and get skippy?
« Last Edit: 10/12/15, 05:41:30 PM by blingdenston »
Pehn Qardaak - Captain of the Rodomontade
Ran-del Qardaak - Big Time Space Hero
Lastagir - Hunter for hire, no plans to retire
Hyse Qardaak - Scholar and Warrior of Peace

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
Re: Time To Talk About Timeskip!
« Reply #1 on: 10/12/15, 04:46:13 PM »
0 Show voters
I say make ample use of the spoiler button and mark threads or posts with spoilers... People can't always afford to jump right at the beginning. Also, people will work through the story at their own pace. There's no real way to sync up but we can at least leave things unspoiled for those who, for whatever reason, don't have access or haven't progressed to the end of the release.

I personally plan on waiting until I have a plan for my characters, no clue how long that will take. It depends on the full story released, and the characters they are connected to.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/12/15, 05:14:59 PM »
0 Show voters
I personally plan on waiting. When I move forward will be different for each character. Some I will skip forward on quickly. Some I'll skip forward on much, much more slowly. On many I hope to rp through those five years and NOT skip them.

As for official bc.org?

I don't think there should be an "official bc.org" honestly. The last "officially we are at this point in the timeline" irked me... no... that isn't nearly a strong enough word, but I'll leave it at that.

Everyone works through game content at their own pace. Everyone works through their rp stories at their own pace. I really hate an official "you must be at this point in game time by this real life date". Give me my freedom to rp at my own pace. We used to be really good at keeping time nebulous at large community events that mixed people in different timelines, no reason why we can't be really good at it again.

Edit: Just for measure, I have characters is a couple different guilds other than my own. In one guild, another guild member told me a higher up stated that the guild isn't even looking at doing the timeskip. I'm sure they will eventually, but it's not on the horizon. I was at the guild meeting for the other guild where this was discussed and the decision was to make no decision until we've had time to play through the new content and then, whatever changes we want to make, we will rp through, not just skip to.
« Last Edit: 10/12/15, 05:17:46 PM by Seraphie »

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/15, 05:17:03 PM »
+1 Show voters
I'd say that most people are going to be willing to try out the five-years-forward thing, but I'm probably going to switch between the two with heavy emphasis on pre-timeskip, or at least RP out stuff between the two times. Some of my characters don't have a solid life planned out five years ahead. I can't even imagine one or two of them being alive by then. Five years is a lot of time for stuff to happen, and it'd be a shame not to flesh that out at least a little bit.

I also agree with Seraphie. The population may move in one direction in an unconscious majority, but nothing should be official, even if it is unofficially official.
Zmaj: 32, Chiss agent, lover of intrigue wine
Caesiallus: 34, Twi'lek bartender, info-broker
Varinas: 40, Human Darth, archivist, former "diplomat"

Seem: 38, Rattataki Jedi Master, resident grump
Vashya'ati: 34, Togruta Jedi Sage, small-time archaeologist
Ash'tana: 32, Miraluka smuggler, trouble-finder extraordinaire

Offline SquigglyV

• My business, as you know, is fighting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/12/15, 05:23:31 PM »
+1 Show voters
IC-ly I think it's best to stay up to date with the previous chapter. For example, if chapter 5 is the most recent then i'd RP in the period of time that chapter 4 takes place in. I do want to RP some stuff between the 5 (8?) year skip so i'll probably be doing that until chapter 2 is out. Of course I expect a bit of confusion so i'll be jumping around to whatever period of time people want to do stuff in.

As for spoilers, I try not to spoil anything no matter how old unless it's very important for RP. That applies to class stories, side quests, SoR, everything that is important to the main story.

And I agree with Seraphie, we shouldn't have any official time period.

Offline Brintte

• Nistia
  • You saw nothing......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/12/15, 05:37:59 PM »
+1 Show voters
I'm one of the people who's jumping as soon as she can, with some characters doing timey-wimey stuff (Yzzy mostly). Everyone is ready for timeskip.

As for what Seraphie said:

I agree that each person should have the liberty to choose. THAT SAID, I disagree that the community should not have a timeline. Why? Because it's confusing. If you want to RP cold war or that you are still before ZEmpire, go ahead. But the community as a whole should not be held back by a minority.

It's a situation of do as you please, but do not enforce it on others. I see a vast majority wants to timeskip, some filling the blanks with RP. The people that want timeskip as far as I know outnumber the people that want to avoid timeskip. And that's something to respect.

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/12/15, 05:40:42 PM »
0 Show voters
It's a situation of do as you please, but do not enforce it on others.

That is actually entirely my point.

Offline Brintte

• Nistia
  • You saw nothing......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/12/15, 05:44:09 PM »
+2 Show voters
It's a situation of do as you please, but do not enforce it on others.

That is actually entirely my point.

Yes but you are saying not to have an official BC.org. That's an actual necessary tool for those who do want time skipping, and keeping on top to majority current events.

Unofficially, you can be in any time you want. Officially I see the need for an actual point of reference. Especially for newcomers because I remember when I came there wasn't any point of reference in a timeline and I had no idea what to RP.

Offline Vakiri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/12/15, 05:51:09 PM »
0 Show voters
I agree. My guild needs a time period that the majority are within, between now and 5 years on, alot of events will happen... Y'know... The near destruction of both sides of the war? Looking down the barrel at two very differently styled guilds, myself, and those within HoW need a time period to adhere too without confusion... And without limiting rps. That is just my two cents though, I'm sure other guild leaders would be asking the same question.

Offline Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/12/15, 06:01:02 PM »
+1 Show voters
A month seems reasonable, given that part of Season One still takes place in the pre-skip. Waiting three whole months before we can acknowledge the jump just seems like too much. I just don't think that waiting for Season Two to come out - before we're allowed to RP Season One - is a good precedent to set. Otherwise what's the point of new episodic releases if we're going to be running a chapter behind every time?
« Last Edit: 10/12/15, 06:19:09 PM by Nykell »

Offline Thrax

• Parts Donor
  • I'll make a martyr out of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/12/15, 06:07:39 PM »
+1 Show voters
Unofficially, you can be in any time you want. Officially I see the need for an actual point of reference. Especially for newcomers because I remember when I came there wasn't any point of reference in a timeline and I had no idea what to RP.

This is a salient point and I agree with it. It seems to me that it'll become difficult for us to function as a community of roleplayers without some kind of organization while we pass through a major change in the setting in which we're all roleplaying. Eventually, I think that an equilibrium will be established where all of us are clearly operating within the same setting once again, but I feel like setting a specific point of reference (and a 'change-over' date to accompany it) will help to expedite that process. Additionally, it will be less confusing for newer members as Brintte says, and it will be less confusing for those that are not as active in the community, or those that are just returning to the game, to become acclimated once again.

That said, I think that one month is a sufficient amount of time for people to experience the new content and formulate plans to go forward with their characters. If we're using the last two expansions as a barometer, it seems likely that many people will be able to get through the new main questline rather quickly, probably well before the month is over. Obviously this isn't going to be the case for every single person, but I feel like it's a fairer judgment that will ultimately keep more people roleplaying together than if we were to wait until New Year's for an 'official change-over' to occur.

TL;DR, I think we should have a set date in mind for a time-shift in order to promote community cohesion, and that one month is a good amount of time to wait before that date comes. If we aren't all writing together, having our characters share experiences with one another following such a drastic change in the galaxy, then I think we're missing a great opportunity, and missing the point of having a community in the first place.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10/12/15, 06:15:02 PM »
0 Show voters
I really don't think there's a way to sync things up, but I think an official timeline can be beneficial if used in the ways described. If it really interferes with your RP then you can ignore it, but I agree it could be a good organizational tool.

However, I don't think a month is long enough. There's no guarantee people can buy a sub this month or next month, so expecting them to be done with the content in a month is kinda hard due to the sub barrier. I can see progressing a month at a time once the timeline starts, but I would now say wait more than a month to start the countdown to five years later.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Crimsen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10/12/15, 06:15:39 PM »
+1 Show voters
All of these are good points. From what I have read on the expansion, the time skip doesn't happen until Chapter 3. So even the expansion gives people some time to get a "back story" of the new era. To me that is a sign that as a collective body, bc.org should do something similar. To me the New Year "deadline" gives us a bit of time to better understand the prologue and beginning of KOTFE before we place our characters in it.

Offline Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10/12/15, 06:16:21 PM »
0 Show voters
Erm, when I said chapter, I meant season. Correcting now...

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10/12/15, 06:45:09 PM »
+2 Show voters
Were we playing in our own completely constructed world - fine, do what you like, rules don't have to apply because we'd be the ones making the rules.

However we're playing in the world of Bioware's Star Wars: The Old Republic. Most likely specifically because we like the world itself. Because we're there.

Ignoring something that the world we're playing in is doing, for that reason, or just because it doesn't appeal to you (and that somehow qualified you to ignore the actual events/happens/recenthistory of the game you are willingly using as the setting of your RP) just seems sort of redundant. I mean do whatever you want in your own private RP, that's your prerogative, but don't go saying what people should and shouldn't adhere to in relation to canon dependin g on what makes you comfortable. This is the game, guys.

I mean if we're going to ignore major plot points and events in a world that we are essentially borrowing as our stage... why play in this particular game at all? :facepalm:

tl;dr: Do whatever you want in private but don't ignore canon current events/plots/etc in public RP.

I don't like what's happening in Syria but I'm not pretending it isn't happening.

That said, I like the January 1st start - gives busy people/non-paid people/mostly everyone a good chance to familiarize themselves with the new setting, plan out their stories and changes, as well as play out the actual content.

Also new year = new things has its appeal :) Like a breath of fresh air.
« Last Edit: 10/12/15, 06:50:17 PM by Aolanni »
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire