BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: Suggestions For Bridging Summit and Forums  (Read 3674 times)

Offline hamlinius

• GM Legion of the Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions For Bridging Summit and Forums
« Reply #15 on: 11/21/15, 02:54:49 PM »
0 Show voters
Hmmmmm... You have good points to say, yet at the same time you seem to be doing a good job of touching nerves. On the one hand, have a thick skin for the internet. On the other hand that should not give anyone and everyone a free pass. I recommend re-reading your posts before hitting the "post" button on .

actually that was the watered down version.  I don't always mince words, If i start using the big words it's cause i'm upset.  not meaning to touch nerves  just get a point across.  :)

Please consider that even for those of us who are heavily involved in rp in this community, both participating and leading, this is -not- a job, and the summit will not always rank as first priority, even if it's something important and scheduled weeks in advanced. It doesn't mean we're not interested, nor does it mean we're not willing to do our part. It means higher priorities came up, whether those be work, family or even sleep for some of our members for whom the summit time is 2 am. Yes, there is an onus on those of us who can't make it to try to do some follow up to find out what happened, but their voices should be heard too, which is why an agenda ahead of time, with the possibility of posting opinions, suggestions, ideas, gives those members a chance to be heard.

that is what the forums are for.  so their voices will be heard.   honestly this is what everyone has been saying.  use the forums so information gets out.  I do understand real life takes precedence  but again unless both sides follow through, (summit attendees posting the agenda and then the notes from the meeting, and summit non attendees read the notes and the agenda and "Contribute" to the agenda.  thereby having their voices heard) this is all talk.

What i'm reading is this: 
side A:  hey there's a summit meeting come join us.
side B:  we can't make the meeting we want our voice heard
side A:  ok we can post in the forums here.
side B:  why aren't you communicating with us?  you're leaving us out.  You should be posting in the forums
side A:  ok we can post in the forums here.  we want your input
side B:  but you didn't post in the forums it would be such a great thing to do.  If you really wanted us to be a part of this you would do that. (insert long ass page of complaint)
side A:  right.  posting in the forums is the thing to do will do so going forward.  oh hey here's where we were posting in the forums (insert the links here)

at least that's how i see this.  we are arguing over the same point.  trying to say the same thing.  maybe i'm misreading this and am wrong.  If i am then my apologies.  I'm also reading some great ideas in this thread.  how to organize where posts should go so information is given out correctly and easy to find. 
There is a great community here.  I'm just adding my voice to it. :)

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11/21/15, 04:55:27 PM »
0 Show voters
I think a larger problem is that a post is formed and then it kinda gets lost because there wasn't spotlight put on it as there would be if it were a point of discussion at a meeting.

For instance, I made this thread on trying to feel out how RP might be better facilitated for making jobs, getting jobs, making business connections ect. I made the thread based on a rough minutes of one of those summits that had been posted by @SivWysan, I can't remember which one, in response to an idea raised but I think was not really explored during the summit.

As you can see, it did get some response, but there wasn't wide discussion. Sadly, I'm sure it was out of recent topics before anyone who checks the site infrequently could get to it. So there wasn't as much participation as it would have if more people knew about it, especially if there had been input from outside of the community.

The real issue is probably not where to put ideas or how do present them, but rather how do we concentrate attention on a topic long enough for it to get widespread exposure and good discussion going? At a summit, I assume all talk is directed at the issue before moving on to the next topic. Attention is honed in on the topic. How do we simulate that with a forum? Some kind of Community spotlight forum widget maybe? Or maybe a link in recent news for a topic of focus? I'm not sure there's much room for any new widgets though.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11/21/15, 06:44:13 PM »
0 Show voters
I agree Imazi..and yes Ham I think we were agreeing on the same point.  I think in your post about it - it got lost that you were actually agreeing with us :). Or at least some of us...

Right now Imazi I point back up to my previous suggestion - that your thread being located in this FOrum may be our best tactic to bring people's focus to things that are more "SERVER SUMMIT" related threads and not just "Hey I got this idea.. what do people think."

Because I think the big question with that idea was (at least for me...) some of us were doing it small scale, or trying to, so what type of format would the "guild" need to take to help eveyrone communicate - which the suggestion oddly enough (since both have to do with forums ha ha)  I think was the idea of the meta-guild forum to unite all these various odds and ends since not everyone had a free character?  From what I last remembered...

And absolutely would have more focus on it if it had been in THIS forum so that those outside the summit could have found it easier.

Gotta take into account we are talking about people who may only come once a month.  I know Rpers who are active in our community who try to come once a week and still get lost and don't know where to start for what it is they want to know.  We have the SERVER SUMMIT ADMIN STUFF Forum seperated out already?

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11/21/15, 07:42:02 PM »
+2 Show voters
Sounds about right Karmic, my only concern is that this board will also eventually fill up with threads just all the others and then it too may become a confusing maze of ongoing/dead conversations. I too know some players that don't check regularly and just sorta skim what they can when they come. I think that having them try to sort out what it current, what is not, try to piece together which conversations are really connected, and try figure out what is just a conversation that never stopped but isn't developing anymore will still get in the way, especially if they are strapped for time.

The reason that I suggested a featured link or widget is so that we can focus the attention down to maybe one or two highly visible topics at a time so that it will be like it would if you were coming into a real time discussion on the topics. You don't have to sort which ones managed to make it to the top of the list or still are at the top of the list. You can simply go to the one that has been picked for consideration for that period of time, however long that period happens to be.

For instance, I appreciate your input on that business idea, but what if there are others out there who have completely different take or perspective on the idea but they don't see the thread till next year. Their idea might be the critical piece that brings the idea to fruition, but who knows how many other threads mine would have to compete with by then. However, if it were part of a spotlight rotation then it could get it's chance to be the focus for a while and maybe get more perspectives.

My only concern would be not putting a frequently recurring time strain on admins or whoever has the ability to make either a widget or change to the recent news happen. I don't know exactly how the forum works but I think a widget that could have topics loaded into the hopper and then automatically rotates through displaying them would be better than forcing someone to sit down, choose a topic every so often, and to keep up with updating links and such.

A little Server Discussion widget like that, maybe above the recent topics widget, would would help with the visibility problem and cut down on the long term work someone would have to put into it. When a topic is all discussed out, the topic can be removed from the rotations just as other topics can be added in.

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11/21/15, 07:57:13 PM »
+3 Show voters

What i'm reading is this: 
side A:  hey there's a summit meeting come join us.
side B:  we can't make the meeting we want our voice heard
side A:  ok we can post in the forums here.
side B:  why aren't you communicating with us?  you're leaving us out.  You should be posting in the forums
side A:  ok we can post in the forums here.  we want your input
side B:  but you didn't post in the forums it would be such a great thing to do.  If you really wanted us to be a part of this you would do that. (insert long ass page of complaint)
side A:  right.  posting in the forums is the thing to do will do so going forward.  oh hey here's where we were posting in the forums (insert the links here)

This is basically what it looks like to the third parties watching this thread >_> .

'Side B' really has to give a little before crying about what 'I want, I want'. Honestly. Instead of demanding to not be left out and instructing others on how to not leave you out... put a little effort in. 'Blabla but I have job and other commitments'? Yeah well guess what. I'm sure Side A do as well. The people trying to run this stuff shouldn't be expected to grab the planets and re-orbit them around others.

There is a lot of discussion going on here and the solution seems to be pretty simple - 'Side B' people, try going to one of the summits. If you can't, submit to the threads on the forums we have open for Summit input. There are at least two of those already up and running. If you still want presence, then ask a friend who has time to go. Holy Odin guys, it's not rocket science.
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Auryn

• Parts Donor
  • And now it's found us like I have found you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11/21/15, 08:07:37 PM »
+3 Show voters
And sorry to double-post, but on the subject of not having the time to attend things/other commitments/etc , I am so sick of this argument, because... well, Semah said it. There are people in other timeszones that are not America. We're used to not being able to make it to things, because those things are either on a) when we work/school, or b) when we sleep. We are in Europe, and Australia, and such. I'm sure a few can relate to the 'getting up at shit-o'clock on a Sunday morning to make that event I've been waiting for all week and miss my only sleep-in for the past seven days'. By nature of location, we are left out. Everyone sees Aena floating around in the chatroom at the wee hours of the morning, or the Aussies packing into that Chatroom on an AEDT Thursday night - or you don't, because we usually do that when most of you are asleep. We are always left out. It cannot be helped.

We deal with it.

You can't make it to a thing! Boo-freaking-hoo. There's a load of us that live in Australia. If we attend school or full-time work, we miss out on most forum and RP things. Do you see us spitting the dummy and making a big song and dance about being left out? No? About expecting the whole forum to cater to our best available times and needs? No?

Sorry- actually, I'm not. Reality check. Take it with a grain of cayenne pepper. Understand how laughable the 'I can't make it to your thing and its YOUR responsibility to include me' argument is to someone living in GMT +10:00 AEDT.
« Last Edit: 11/21/15, 08:13:05 PM by Aolanni »
My drawing was not of a hat.
It was of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.

There are many ways to serve the Empire

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11/21/15, 08:16:34 PM »
+3 Show voters
Please remember to keep the conversation civil, per Site Guidelines.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11/21/15, 10:17:34 PM »
0 Show voters
Nice to see asking for some communication with the other half - the one being asked to make some of the changes... is asking too much for some people.

I thought this was about inclusion? 

Good of you to share with us your thoughts on that.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Artisan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11/21/15, 10:24:27 PM »
0 Show voters
Again, a reminder to keep the conversation civil, per Site Guidelines, regardless of who shot first.

Keep the thread on topic and on constructive ideas or solutions. Thank you.

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11/21/15, 10:30:28 PM »
+1 Show voters
Ok, I think everybody got a chance to state their frustration. :)

I trust that everyone is really on the same side and pretty much on the same page. If I understand correctly, everyone agrees that we need to include as many as possible and everyone agrees that posting on the forums for those that can't be there in person is a good idea. :)

From there it's just a matter of finding the next summit thread and posting whatever specific issue you might want to be raised at the next meeting. I know I have held off on posting such things in the summit threads in the past because it felt like that was not what the thread was for, but from this discussion I gather that no one would object if someone politely asks for an issue to be raised in their behalf. :grin:

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11/21/15, 10:47:11 PM »
+1 Show voters
A couple suggestions, in terms of organisation...

Firstly, in the Server Development forum, perhaps we can have a thread posted for each new summit. So, when a summit date is announced and it's placed on the calendar, post the thread for it in this forum, not in the events forum. The thread could then be used for any suggestions of topics of discussion, would be where the notes from the summit would be posted, and then would remain open for discussion of said notes.

Separate from this, would it be possible to add a child board to the Server Development forum, titled "Summit discussion topics" that could be specifically for individual topics - one topic per thread - discussed at the server and that need follow up discussion? So not the spot for posting the minutes of the summit, nor for discussing those minutes, but when specific items are to be followed up upon, each such item would have its own thread, on that child board, started by whoever volunteered to move forward with that idea.

So, for instance, if at a summit it was decided that we, as a community, want to work on more inter-guild rp, then whoever volunteers to take charge of that particular item would start a thread on the child board saying, ok, we decided we wanted this. At the summit, ideas X, Y and Z were put forward, does anyone have any other ideas and does anyone have comments on ideas X, Y and Z?

And I really like @Imazi 's idea that would rotate such discussion topics in a lead position on the front page!

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11/21/15, 10:53:20 PM »
0 Show voters
Should we just bind these ideas together and submit them like said in the the site additions thread? I was going to do that tomorrow anyway for the idea of a server disussion display widget.

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11/21/15, 11:18:29 PM »
0 Show voters
Should we just bind these ideas together and submit them like said in the the site additions thread? I was going to do that tomorrow anyway for the idea of a server disussion display widget.

I'm good with that @Imazi !

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11/21/15, 11:23:54 PM »
0 Show voters
Alright. I'll send off the PM tomorrow. :grin: