BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Shoutbox

Author Topic: MOVIES!! ALL OF THEM! That aren't related to Star Wars...  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
0 Show voters
I figured if we can have a thread about one movie, and some books, and some music.... 

Well we need a general thread about ALL movies you may or may not have seen recently - that you may or may not wish to praise/gripe about.  :aww:

Personally I see almost exclusively "movies for guys who like movies" movies, and dramas.  Not normally Romcoms and usually not even romantic dramas.

As such I usually like a lot of movies that lots of people like across the nerd circle.

So got any interesting or great movies you've seen recently?

Got any "oh my Kriff this was HORRIBLE!! Seriously..." movies you've seen recently? Ones that just pissed you off?

Is the upcoming Wonder Woman in Batman V. Superman pissing you off because why (as in why is she there?)  Is it pissing you off that Afleck has decided he wants to make his very own Batman movie all on his own, so he's directing one... for himself... and stuff.  :facepalm:

Is Wonder Woman an alien? (ok...seperate topic but I wondered that after the preview I don't really know..)

I love movies. I love talking about movies - good and bad. I love crap movies; I love B movies (sometimes). I love (some) animae movies.

Let's talk movies and movie stuff!!

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Hawking

• Deep Quote
    • View Profile
Re: MOVIES!! ALL OF THEM! That aren't related to Star Wars...
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/16, 01:56:44 PM »
0 Show voters
The Revenant is a great movie.
Some of the best cinematography I've seen on a screen in my entire life, and filmed entirely using natural light. Also the special effects are so good that people had to leave the cinema due to the graphic violence.
Haven't formulated my opinion entirely yet, thought I'd just push the fence sitters into the YES front yard.

Characters:

-Hawking Shatari, Wandering Warrior
-Aspasia Maguire, Smack Talker
-Rieko "Boogie" Black, Agent of the Empire

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/16, 02:10:40 PM »
0 Show voters
Ok header post done -

MOVIE I SAW THIS WEEKEND (normally happens at least x2 a month..)

~~~~

Hateful Eight

~~~~

Hrm.  This is a toughy.  I'm getting mixed feeback from those I went to see this movie with; but I think I get their problems with this movie - so here's my review.

If you love Tarrentino movies and specifically the Tarrentino dialogue; like... mama's milk.  Just because it exists as a creature in his movies unto itself; you will enjoy this movie.

If you enjoy classic "locked room" mysteries.  Agatha Christie type classic mystery stuff.  If the entire point of the plot is just to tell a story to tell a story - even if you don't know all the background.  You will enjoy this movie.

If the idea of "Who can out con the con man" type stories entertain you - you will probably enjoy this movie.

However -

If you are expecting any type of high level of action or violence; you will be disappointed.  There is some of course, but this is not Pulp Fiction; or even Reservoir Dogs.

If you are expecting another dialogue quoteable exchange like, "I'm a mushroom cloud layin Mfer, Mfer..." you will be disappointed.  There are some cool quotes, but they are more sedate.

If you are expecting a huge showdown or chase; you will be disappointed.  The vast majority of the movie takes place in a single room cabin where everyone is stuck for at least 2-3 days during a blizzard, somewhere in Wyoming.  Sometimes they walk outside in the snow for a few minutes.  There is some shooting.

If you need a lot of buildup to give a crap about what's going on, you won't like this movie.

But you aren't expected to care who dies or not; you're just expected to care about the truth - or I guess, the story itself.  If that isn't your type of movie; you will probably not enjoy this movie.

TLDR:

If the idea of Tarrentino sticking his 7 or 8 most favorite actors he's used before; some of which he ALWAYS uses (where was Harvey Keitel!!!  :cry: ) in his favorite "Classic Western" Genre you first saw some of in Kill Bill and then saw a lot of in Django Unchained.  And just letting him go crazy sound entertaining... or at least interesting - you WILL like this movie.

If you think Tarrentino is already pretentious enough without wanking himself off in his own dream version of "Cowboy Limbo" (Or perhaps HIS Limbo after death...); you will probably hate this movie.

The terms "boring" and "I didn't give a shit" were used by the detractors among my movie group.

Someone else who saw it said they didn't think it was as good as Django Unchained; but that it was still pretty good.

My opinion:

My favorite Tarrentino is Resivoir Dogs, Kill Bills.  Django Unchained is not one of my favorite; but I found it very entertaining.

This Tarrentino is not one of my favorite; but I did find it very entertaining.

I do enjoy classic "story tropes" if you will; when well done.  I grew up on the original Doyle Holmes and read Agatha Christie.  I also caught the tail end of the 70s Western genre (My cousin however is a huge Bonanza fan; she's 5 years older than me :)).  I enjoy Lovecraft and even if he "plods along" I still enjoy his stories.

I enjoyed this.  It was a good story; it was fun to watch and enjoy the story.  The actors and actresses were fantastic.  Seeing some of Tarrentino's best leading men - Kurt Russell.. all playing no-shit cowboys on the downward slopes of the 30 or so years after the Civil War (it matters....), was to me very entertaining.

I love Tarrentino dialgue like mother's milk half the time; so I did like this movie.

However, I could have rented it. I didn't see the 70mm (don't care I've seen that...lol) and though it was a beautifully shot motion picture on the theater screen... I could have rented it.

My other two companions; who also enjoy Tarrentino but have their own favorite movies among them - felt it was a waste of their time.  :umm:

Offline Karmic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/16, 02:11:40 PM »
0 Show voters
The Revenant is a great movie.
Some of the best cinematography I've seen on a screen in my entire life, and filmed entirely using natural light. Also the special effects are so good that people had to leave the cinema due to the graphic violence.
Haven't formulated my opinion entirely yet, thought I'd just push the fence sitters into the YES front yard.

ooh awesome!!  I'll let the hubby and my friend know.

The Hubby was on the fence but wanted to go for our next Movie Saturday. But my friend doesn't care to see it.

Neither he nor I are fans of Decaprio but the movie looked strong otherwise.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it and its gritty.  That will make hubby happy!

I already knew I wanted to see it because of the buzz; and because who doesn't love a good "zomg it sucks surviving in the snow we're all gonna dia..." type movie!  :evil:

I don't want my vote to be overturned.  :grin:

Offline Thrax

• Parts Donor
  • I'll make a martyr out of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/16, 02:44:37 PM »
0 Show voters
I tried to watch the Ridiculous Six with my buddy Seculus.

We didn't make it.

Also, if you've never heard of Neil Breen, you should get yourself acquainted starting with his first feature, Double Down.

Offline Visceria

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/12/16, 04:11:06 PM »
0 Show voters
Ahh, movies! I could honestly go on for days, haha... But since this is in regards to movies we've recently seen, I'll weigh in with my two cents:

The Hateful Eight has already been mentioned. I really was on the fence about this one, too. I love Tarantino, but with this movie, it felt like he relied a little too strongly on his usually strong and unique emphasis on dialogue. There were a lot of times when I felt like it exceeded necessity and ended up in the realm of self-indulgence. But did I like it? Well, yes. But because of its length (3 hours--again, a bit self-indulgent), I probably wouldn't see it again. In terms of his recent movies, I wouldn't put it ahead of Django, and certainly not the masterpiece that is Inglourious Basterds.

I saw The Forest with a few friends this weekend simply for kicks. Every now and then I feel a need to indulge on a horror movie... It's a guilty pleasure thing, haha. I enjoyed it, although it wasn't nearly as scary as I'd hoped it would be. Always a fan of Natalie Dormer though!

I still need to see The Revenant! Leo's gotten better with every movie over the past decade or so (at least since Gangs of New York). I'm hoping this is the role that'll win him that long sought after Oscar.
"And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." ~ Nietzsche

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/12/16, 04:49:50 PM »
0 Show voters

I still need to see The Revenant! Leo's gotten better with every movie over the past decade or so (at least since Gangs of New York). I'm hoping this is the role that'll win him that long sought after Oscar.

If Leo didn't get an Oscar for What's Eating Gilbert Grape, he's not getting an Oscar for anything.  Lol.

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/12/16, 05:12:10 PM »
0 Show voters
I saw the Hateful 8 in the Roadshow format and it was... well, it was something, that's for sure.

There's a thing about Quentin Tarantino that's hard to really understand. He's a writer and director who... he knows he's amazing. He's so sure of it that he's going to put out all the stops and isn't even going to try to be humble.

A film with only a handful of actors, most of the characters utterly despicable, featuring racism, hatred, bigotry, violence and gore. It is an ugly, ugly picture... and the sort that probably only he could pull off.

The man is, without question, a genius. He knows his craft probably better than anyone else alive. And it's definitely an incredibly well made film. If it doesn't win the Oscar for cinematography and direction, I'll be surprised. If its not nominated, I'll be amazed.

I'm not sure if I LIKED the movie, because I'm much more of a story and character person, and boy howdy was that a miserable tale, but... still.

Urgh.

Another move for the pile? Creed.

It's actually kinda like the Force Awakens in a way: Taking the familiar beats of franchise's classic (in this case the original Rocky) and turning them out in a new, fresh way.

Michael B. Jordan is phenominal in the role that he desperately needed after the disgrace Fan4stic was, and yeah, it's always nice to get that reminder that Sylvester Stallone is awesome.

But what made me fall in love with the film? The action. My biggest pet peeve with films these days is that the action scenes are routinely terrible, with a jostled camera, terrible cinematography and fight choreography that makes it clear that no one wanted to waste budget on making the fights look intersting.

Middle of the film, there's this, oh, 5 minute scene showing a boxing match... and it's presented as one long, unbroken shot, letting us see the punches fly, whether they land or miss. It's just gorgeous to behold.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Audaine

• Parts Donor
  • <Flailing Intensifies>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/12/16, 06:58:39 PM »
0 Show voters
Audaine's recommended viewings! All the feels! All the sad!

The Breakfast Club - 1985
Dead Poet Society - 1989
Holding The Man - 2015

Audaine's shortlist! All the cool! All the pow!

The Warriors - 1979
Drive - 2011

[ ^ What? I actually update this link now? ^ ]

Offline Iaera

• a spooky ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/12/16, 06:59:23 PM »
0 Show voters
I like Tarantino, but I don't like very many of his movie. He's an artist: He creates works of art true to his own vision, with no BS. It's just that that art isn't usually the sort of thing I enjoy. (Though I do like Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction)
retired ~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Visceria

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/12/16, 07:17:36 PM »
0 Show voters
There's a thing about Quentin Tarantino that's hard to really understand. He's a writer and director who... he knows he's amazing. He's so sure of it that he's going to put out all the stops and isn't even going to try to be humble.

The man is, without question, a genius. He knows his craft probably better than anyone else alive. And it's definitely an incredibly well made film. If it doesn't win the Oscar for cinematography and direction, I'll be surprised. If its not nominated, I'll be amazed.

I'm in full agreement. He's certainly a master of his craft and one that knows, after as many successful movies as he's made, that he has a knack for film making and is widely regarded as extremely unique. I'd almost say that "Quentin Tarantino" counts as a person and a genre, hah!

But I think its this pride that caused The Hateful Eight to suffer where it could have succeeded... I've always wondered what "too much Tarantino" would look like, given that all of his previous endeavors seemed to work in spite of their outlandish elements. I think The Hateful Eight has finally gone too far into the realm of his own strange, often absurd ideas.

I'm not sure if I LIKED the movie, because I'm much more of a story and character person, and boy howdy was that a miserable tale, but... still.

I would say that I still enjoyed the movie, given that the characters themselves I found interesting enough. But the story did feel a little lacking, and as I said before, I thought there was an over-emphasis on the importance of dialogue (and I never thought I'd be saying that about any movie).
« Last Edit: 01/12/16, 09:51:18 PM by Visceria »
"And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." ~ Nietzsche

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01/12/16, 09:41:07 PM »
+1 Show voters
All the President's Men is a good movie if you like political/conspiracy semi-thrillers. Also, Suspect is suuuuuper good. Very suspenseful. The Lunchbox is also a nice little oddity.
Zmaj: 32, Chiss agent, lover of intrigue wine
Caesiallus: 34, Twi'lek bartender, info-broker
Varinas: 40, Human Darth, archivist, former "diplomat"

Seem: 38, Rattataki Jedi Master, resident grump
Vashya'ati: 34, Togruta Jedi Sage, small-time archaeologist
Ash'tana: 32, Miraluka smuggler, trouble-finder extraordinaire

Offline Malkerik

• Get Paid, Get Made, Gatorade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01/13/16, 06:46:16 AM »
0 Show voters
Creed was bloody awesome. Great characters, fantastic acting (for a bunch of tough guy boxers), and the cinematography I felt was really damn good for the simple angles it took. A very down to earth movie with a lot of gravel and heart. Came in with nothing and left me wanting to see more of the one and only son of Creed.

Holonet Page - ''Updated Pre Time Skip''

Act I: Unbroken Silence

Imp - Malkerik :nuu: Raeith :darkside: Predatus :darkside:      :nuu: Malkeric :lightside: Arkavim :lightside: MusiAH - Pub

Offline Armeria

• "Impenetrable face of boing." --Tae
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01/13/16, 07:42:53 AM »
0 Show voters
The 13th Warrior - Not terribly accurate but still amazing.

The Fall - The most visually stunning. And I cried like a BLEEP

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - A documentary that I found personally fascinating. ...And left me drooling-hungry.

Curse of the Golden Flower (Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia ) - Another visually stunning tale. (See the pattern here?)

Raise the Red Lantern - Absolutely gorgeous heart break. (oh look, another pattern.)

Dragonslayer - For pure memory/cheesiness factor. Before there was Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones--This was some of the best for us Fantasy nerds.

Equilibrium - Why? Because Gun Kata. That's why. (And surprisingly kick ass movie.)

Restrepo - One year with one platoon in Afghanistan. This is a hard watch, but something I felt I needed to see. If you are a vet, obviously, this will be triggering.

Offline Ollin

• Smart Wireless Monitoring and Arm Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01/14/16, 05:13:16 AM »
0 Show voters
Recently watched the remake of True Grit. Great film.

I'm also a sucker for westerns so I also recently watched Django Unchained which was also a great Tarantino film. Though I suppose it's technically a "Southern" if you go by geography.