BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

July 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jul 19: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jul 19: A Dread Mind
Jul 20: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST
Jul 26: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jul 27: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: The Heights of Folly (The Direwolf Crew, and Dassalya, Too)  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
Lucia Zherron slumped onto the couch in her ship's hold, wiping sweat and grime from her forehead as she lay her head back on the headrest. Finally, the repairs were done, and the ship was ready to fly. She looked to her side to see a glass of whiskey held out for her, by her lean-muscled and often close-mouthed first mate, Liam Branscombe. "You're a lifesaver," she said gratefully.

"I try." Branscombe shrugged. "The Jedi is coming?"

"So Tavan says. And so she said, if anything happened." Lucia knocked the glass. "We'll see. Either way, we're underway first thing in the morning."

"Have faith." Darias Tavan sounded amused as he stepped out of the cargo hold, having checked and rechecked his battle gear. "She'll be along. I think she has as much a stake in your father's return as we do, Captain. And with Ediren involved, I think it's good we have a Jedi, since Tergahn is off being...well, Tergahn." All Tavan knew was that Tergahn was involved with this mysterious "Alliance" fighting against Zakuul, beyond the remit of the Republic or the Empire...and so was Nelys Lorath, Ediren's cousin and captain of the Brigantia. They never said where they were going, and it was not like they could put trackers on them; both men checked and rechecked the ship and their cargo for such measures before departure.

"Ediren might not appreciate a Custodum Jedi being in this mix."

"Probably not, but I'm not overly concerned about soothing his feelings. He's gone too far." Tavan shook his head grimly, then smiled and said, "Get some sleep, Lucia. She will be along in the morning before we go. I am certain of it." With that, he headed back to the cargo hold, where he had set up a cot to sleep on. Branscombe nodded his agreement, before heading to his bunk to get his own shuteye.

Sighing, Lucia curled up on the couch in the hold, and quickly dozed off...
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
Re: The Heights of Folly (The Direwolf Crew, and Dassalya, Too)
« Reply #1 on: 03/24/16, 11:13:58 PM »
Dassalya strode up to the Direwolf, gaze confident and a satchel-ful of supplies slung over her shoulder. She had taken the necessary precautions to guard against her departure—ensuring the medbay was stocked and ready, informing Abethul of her impending absence, gathering her equipment—and, now, all that remained was to take the final physical and metaphorical step towards her departure. Darius Tavan had said the ship would leave early in the morning. Now was the time.

Lifting a hand, she gave a smart rap on the Direwolf's main airlock. Following, she made to contact those inside through the comm.

"Captain Zherron?" she asked. "It is Dassalya Nasadee. I am ready to leave when you are."
« Last Edit: 04/02/16, 05:45:38 PM by Dassalya »
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Joshmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/25/16, 07:14:12 AM »
The door slid open, and at the airlock stood Tavan, dressed in a black military jumpsuit with pouches strapped to his chest, his blaster rifle slung over one shoulder; next to him was a cheerful-looking woman with brown hair, about the same age as Lucia. She wore a medic's long coat. On seeing Dassalya, she grinned. "Ha!" She turned and headed into the hold, and looked down the passageway to the bridge. "You owe me a hundred credits, Skipper! She's here!"

"Good, then get her aboard and let's go!" came the response.

Tavan grinned apologetically. "Come on aboard, Master Jedi," he said. "Lucia bet you wouldn't show...but Talisa there knew better." He looked her over for a moment. "Are you up for this?"

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/25/16, 05:04:11 PM »
"As much as I reasonably can be, yes," she replied. Stepping through the airlock, she turned her gaze to the ship's interior, cataloguing its layout and taking in the small, telling details within. Funny how she had known Eidan all this time, yet knew so little about his life or those others in it.

After a lingering moment, she returned her attention to Tavan. "I could ask the same of you. It is possible this is no small thing that we are doing." She gestured for them to move deeper into the ship, half suggestion, half question.
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth

Offline Joshmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/25/16, 05:30:53 PM »
"I know it's not," Tavan replied, his expression grim, as he stepped inside the hold and sat down on the semi-circle couch. "If we cannot survive inside the system, we must find a way to do so outside it." He shrugged. "I've been around long enough to understand the necessity of looking outside the box, Master Jedi. When your back is against the wall, clinging to 'the rules' won't matter a damn. You Jedi have your moral code, and sometimes it doesn't sync with Republic law. Either you hold fast to your code, or you give it up to uphold 'the law'." He snorted. "Hence our current predicament."

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/28/16, 05:18:42 PM »
Dassalya gave a solemn nod of understanding as she took a seat beside him. Lifting the satchel from her shoulder, she set it down gently by her feet.

"Do we have a plan at this point in time?"

Offline Joshmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/28/16, 10:12:47 PM »
Tavan nodded and activated the holoprojector, showing an image of the planet. "We auto-piloted the ship to crash-land on this planet here, as it was the closest habitable world to the ship's location. It's not listed with a name, only a survey number, AZ-1194, and a notation indicating it was habitable, and - so far as the record shows - uninhabited, so it would not be likely that they would be attacked by angry natives. Unfortunately, we won't know where they landed until we get there." He grinned sheepishly. "You know Eidan...he likes to live by the spur of the moment. We made the whole thing up as we went along."

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/29/16, 06:17:54 PM »
Dassalya gave a dry, wry smile. "Mm. Yes. That does sound somewhat like him." Her gaze returned to the holoprojection. "Do we know anything else about the planet? Native life, even if not sentient, temperature, biomes...? If not, is there a way for us to do so?" She glanced to Tavan. "And how long, exactly, has he been there?"

Offline Joshmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/29/16, 08:22:56 PM »
"From what we could tell - again, we're running off the survey data, and it's several hundred years old - the planet is your typical boring 'pristine wilderness' type. Forests, grasslands, mountains. We actually had to dig this crap out of the archives on the Talonguard - the ship they were on - before we crashed her. Why it's not populated, I don't know..." Tavan sighed. "And it's not just Eidan who will be down there, remember. Which is a major reason why you're here. Even though Eidan blew out his ocular implant, he's still thirty years younger and in prime physical condition...and he's a Jedi, insanity at the present notwithstanding. There is also the crew - if they got to escape pods, there will likely be a few of them, the captain mainly, who will not side with him...but the troops definitely will."

He paused, took a deep breath, and looked over at her. "This may well get bloody, Master Jedi. A miniature civil war in a battlefield we know kriff all about. So when I asked you if you're up for this, I mean for all of it."

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/31/16, 01:26:24 PM »
Dassalya regarded him calmly. "I have every faith that we will be able to avoid unnecessary confrontation. It is not my intention to harm a fellow Jedi or Republic troopers unless they themselves endanger civilians or innocents. That is my code, and if that will be a problem for you, Mr. Tavan, then please say so now."

Offline Joshmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/31/16, 02:23:10 PM »
"Then we understand one another. Just so long as you remember, while we may not be shooting to kill...they might be." Tavan stood as the ship shuddered. They had gone to lightspeed. "If you will excuse me, Master Jedi." He turned on one heel, hiding the sadness in his face, and headed into the armory to recheck his gear.

At that moment, the leanly-built figure of Liam Branscombe - silent as a ghost, his footsteps unnoticed, he was just...there - stepped out from the passage to the bridge, and looked over at Dassalya. "Captain wants to see you, Jedi." Then he walked back up the passage without another word.

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04/02/16, 09:13:46 AM »
Dassalya turned her gaze back in the direction Tavan had disappeared, then, with a small sigh, rose to her feet. Lifting her satchel off the floor, she set the strap on her shoulder and stepped after the silent Liam. The ship moved under her feet, low and subtle. It was a movement felt in the soles of one's feet and deep in one's ears. It was a movement of bittersweet nostalgia, of long hours between worlds and stars, of games played with brothers and sisters, and of waiting. It was a movement she knew well.

Stepping onto the bridge, Dassalya clasped her hands behind her. "You wished to see me, Captain?"

Offline Joshmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04/02/16, 09:52:06 AM »
Lucia was seated in the center chair, consulting the holographic star chart as Branscombe resumed his place at the pilot's chair. Seated in the right-hand chair was Kellen Maggard, the engineer. Lucia did not turn as she said, "We will arrive at our destination in about twelve hours. Now that we're a bit better prepared for the obstacle that hides your base, the return trip won't have that added bit of terror to it."

Now she did swivel in her chair to face Dassalya, with a mirthless smile that crinkled the scarring on the left side of her face. "I believe that Captain Tavan has given you the gory details. While he thinks we can do this without resorting to bloodshed, I am not so certain. Grandson of my mentor and surrogate father be damned, Ediren is a lunatic...and any loyalist troops he has with him will be no better." Her smile had faded; her blue eyes now flashed bright with anger, but her voice was calm. "Which is why I don't want to hear any kriff about holding back, or finding another solution. You're not here for philosophical lecturing. These people want to kill us."

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04/02/16, 05:45:12 PM »
Dassalya's calm expression did not betray any thought she might have on the matter. She remained silent for a span of heartbeats, and then took in a breath to speak.

"Then I am afraid I will disappoint you."

Offline Joshmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04/02/16, 06:17:18 PM »
Lucia looked incredulous. "Then why the hell are you here? This is not a luxury liner, dammit! We're not on a pleasure cruise here! We're going to get shot at, and there are people who are liable to get killed - so if you're not going to help, then why are you here? You think you can possibly reason with him?"