BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Rogue One Spoiler Thread  (Read 7676 times)

Re: Rogue One Spoiler Thread
« Reply #60 on: 12/22/16, 07:05:37 PM »
0 Show voters
While I have much to say on this particular subject, I'm just going to let Kylo Ren do the talking for me.*

*I do not agree with all of Auralnauts' points. I just thought that this thread would serve as the perfect excuse for me to share this amazing video with you all.

EDIT: My inner Grammar Nazi noticed that the 'I' in my initial post lacked proper capitalization. This has been rectified. :shifty:
« Last Edit: 12/22/16, 11:20:05 PM by ThyssenKrupp »

Offline Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 12/22/16, 07:32:52 PM »
0 Show voters
"I seriously need to get a bor gullet. Bor gullet will turn your brain to soup, and steal the dream!"

Offline Iaera

• a spooky ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 12/22/16, 07:43:25 PM »
+1 Show voters
auralnauts is bestnauts
retired ~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 12/22/16, 09:36:40 PM »
0 Show voters

Oh, by the way, his blaster was literally the fourth canon "LMG/Heavy repeating blaster" we've ever seen, if you count the DLT-19/20 as a blaster rifle. The first being an E-Web, the second being the Z-6, and the third being an unnamed mounted weapon in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Just an interesting fact I thought up.

(PS, totally not biased because he carries a big gun like Exephos...)

I thought of you man.. as soon as he fired it.  I said, "Oh.. its Exephos's gun!"  :aww:  And from then on he was "The guy with Exephos's gun".

~~

I also remembered this.

Agree entirely with you Iaera and as others have also echoed - I was jarred out of the movie several times by the THAT IS NOT STAR WARS sound track.  I don't understand why they had to do anything new at all.  The soundtrack that worked for the original three JUST FINE could have JUST BEEN USED HERE!

It did.. it sounded at times like a cheap ripoff of "almost Star Wars"  It would sound like William's score and then the key would change, or it would be flat or sharp instead of what it was suppose to be - but it was mostly Star Wars.

No.  No no.  Kinda like the more pronounced smoother English Jones accent with Vadar talking too long; they really just should have used the original soundtracks.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

« Reply #64 on: 12/22/16, 11:29:35 PM »
0 Show voters
I also remembered this.

Agree entirely with you Iaera and as others have also echoed - I was jarred out of the movie several times by the THAT IS NOT STAR WARS sound track.  I don't understand why they had to do anything new at all.  The soundtrack that worked for the original three JUST FINE could have JUST BEEN USED HERE!

It did.. it sounded at times like a cheap ripoff of "almost Star Wars"  It would sound like William's score and then the key would change, or it would be flat or sharp instead of what it was suppose to be - but it was mostly Star Wars.

No.  No no.  Kinda like the more pronounced smoother English Jones accent with Vader talking too long; they really just should have used the original soundtracks.

The soundtrack was among the biggest issues with me, too. When you watch the trailers and then watch the film, so much gets lost in-between. Like, that ominous, foreboding setup that plays in the trailer(s) when the Death Star is initially revealed was perfect! But did they keep it for the film? No! They inserted some oddly fast-paced track that sounded like it belonged in a cheap superhero summer blockbuster of some kind. I mean... really? Really. Really?! :wtf:

The other thing that really took me out of the setting were the sound effects. Whoever was in charge of them put this really odd contemporary filter to certain things, like the AT-ST's guns and Stormtrooper's E-11s. In Episode VII changes like this made sense, because 30 years had passed and technology would presumably have changed along with everything else. But when you start drawing parallels to Michael Bay's Transformers movies? That is not a good sign. And then, of course, there's the final battle above Scarif. I was going absolutely nuts, because so many of the ships and their weapons didn't sound right. There was at least one 5+ second long shot of two X-Wings firing their lasers at the shield gate, but instead of their iconic "WHOCK WHOCK WHOCK WHOCK WHOCK!" that we've all been made familiar with, the person in charge of sound made it sound like they were firing their proton torpedoes! That's. Just. Wrong! :rage: It was enough that as soon as I got home, I sent out a Tweet suggesting that Lucasfilm work with EA Dice to get everything sounding like it should for the home release, since they absolutely nailed it on Battlefront when it came to verisimilitude.
« Last Edit: 12/22/16, 11:32:24 PM by ThyssenKrupp »

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 12/22/16, 11:34:32 PM »
0 Show voters
I'm not sold on the soundtrack, either, but I believe the composer, Michael Giacchino, had only a couple weeks to finish it all. The original composer hired for the job, Alexander Desplat (if I'm remembering correctly), left the project at the end for some reason.

Considering the incredibly short timeline, Giacchino did a great job. But comparing to his other works (you might recognize him from the Star Trek reboots) and John Williams' work, there was something left to be desired. John Williams was unusual for a film composer too, however, in that he demanded to see the film before he composed, whereas many composers are required to have their music finished (or at least well on the way) by the time the film is cut.

At least, if I'm remembering everything correctly. Which I may not be. The brain sometimes twists facts about with the passage of time.
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 12/23/16, 12:43:34 AM »
0 Show voters
With only a few weeks - well geez now it makes less sense not to use the original stuff they already have.

Unless they dont' have rights to it or something but surely not? Heh.

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Darth.Eros

• Forget the fear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 12/23/16, 10:56:42 PM »
0 Show voters
Saw it twice barely any notes But also...plenty of rouge one stuff. General Sendula Referring to Hera and the Ghost was in the final Battle and Chopper was in the movie AHHH SO awesome!

ALso over the intercom at the end they called for Captain Sendula AKA. Hera

AH I am so excited Rouge one was so good destpite maybe the 3 things I didnt like. Tenticle things...WTF was that for..useless. Casian was just unlikable until the very end, and Saul Gerara under used...
"Your humble Archivist and Librarian."- Darth Eros

| Youtube | Lost Archives Thread |

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 12/24/16, 11:41:27 AM »
0 Show voters
So, seen it, and...some of my impressions:

The resurrection of Peter Cushing. My mother and I had pretty much the same reaction..."creepy!" When a man has been dead for twenty-two years, and then suddenly he's walking and talking on the screen again (sort of)...yeah. Creepy. Basically what they could not really do with his brief appearance in Episode III (and I've seen close-ups of the guy they had for that, he looks more like a Changeling from Star Trek: DS9 than Peter Cushing), they pulled off here...whether that's a good thing, I'll leave to the imagination. At least they didn't show him in his slippers!

The guy in the Vader suit. Am I the only one who thought his helmet looked a bit...er, fat? It looks like they were going for tall and bulky, rather than just tall (like Dave Prowse)...it was like when they had Hayden in the suit in Episode III. (At least I believe that was Hayden.) It looked...wrong. Don't get me wrong - Vader whooping ass is great no matter how Dark Helmet-y his head got - but...

What the hell, Cassian? What a dick. Seriously. I'm kind of glad he got offed in the end, because...Jyn made a good point, his tactics seem more Imperial than Rebel. Rebel is the freedom fighter, home and loved ones, that sort of thing, the Imps are the murderers...except he outright murders a guy right toward the beginning, and somehow gets a conscience before he can kill Galen (for all the good that did, considering). I guess someone decided to play the dark side story making a Pub character...

And speaking of the end... What a downer. This probably has to be the first movie of its type I've seen in a while where THE ENTIRE PRINCIPAL CAST DIES. I know they were going for dark, but jeez...
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 12/24/16, 12:22:46 PM »
+3 Show voters
What the hell, Cassian? What a dick. Seriously. I'm kind of glad he got offed in the end, because...Jyn made a good point, his tactics seem more Imperial than Rebel. Rebel is the freedom fighter, home and loved ones, that sort of thing, the Imps are the murderers...except he outright murders a guy right toward the beginning, and somehow gets a conscience before he can kill Galen (for all the good that did, considering). I guess someone decided to play the dark side story making a Pub character...

Maybe this is being a devout lover of DS9, but I really don't have much of an issue with Cassian's tactics.

Here's the issue: When fighting a war against an opponent with vastly greater military and economic power, you're going to need to rely on, shall we say, impolite tactics. It's not about one side being evil or good or anything, it's just a fact of asymmetrical warfare: Either you fight by the rules and will surely lose, or you fight to win and break those rules.

The guy Cassian murdered? He was going to be captured by the Empire and then interrogated/tortured. Once the Empire finished that, he would either be killed (because the Empire is not the catch and release sort), or he would be left alive because he gave the Empire everything he knew about Cassian and the Rebellion... which would lead to more dead rebels.

It's why I love Cassian's speech at the start of Act 3: He's saying outright, he did horrible, horrible things for the Rebellion, and that it was for the Rebellion was the only way he stayed sane. Horrible things done for a good cause... well, that's war in a nutshell, isn't it?
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 12/26/16, 11:14:46 AM »
0 Show voters
Maybe this is being a devout lover of DS9, but I really don't have much of an issue with Cassian's tactics.

Here's the issue: When fighting a war against an opponent with vastly greater military and economic power, you're going to need to rely on, shall we say, impolite tactics. It's not about one side being evil or good or anything, it's just a fact of asymmetrical warfare: Either you fight by the rules and will surely lose, or you fight to win and break those rules.

The guy Cassian murdered? He was going to be captured by the Empire and then interrogated/tortured. Once the Empire finished that, he would either be killed (because the Empire is not the catch and release sort), or he would be left alive because he gave the Empire everything he knew about Cassian and the Rebellion... which would lead to more dead rebels.

It's why I love Cassian's speech at the start of Act 3: He's saying outright, he did horrible, horrible things for the Rebellion, and that it was for the Rebellion was the only way he stayed sane. Horrible things done for a good cause... well, that's war in a nutshell, isn't it?

Orell just completely summed up my take on Cassian (and the DS9 allusion is totally apt; I freakin' love that show's mature handling of those themes). Cassian is a haunted character; a good man who feels the weight of the wrong deeds he's done, but who has been hardened enough by his experiences in a dark world that he's become more adept than he'd like at his own dark deeds. That makes him both a character perfectly fitted to his archetype, but also very realistic. (I also felt that Diego Luna was a beautiful casting choice, because he nailed the 'haunted' look both physically and in his delivery.)

My waxing poetic here obviously betrays that I really liked Cassian. Under normal circumstances his character would easily have topped my favorites list, but in this case he had some stiff competition from Chirrut. Although to be fair, I love Chirrut more as an example or representation of a Force-using character in this time period, so maybe Cassian wins after all.  :grin:

My inner feminist is wrenched to say that, sadly, while I liked Jyn just fine, she was probably the least inspired and interesting of all the characters, to me. I appreciated that she had some realistic vulnerability to her, because making heroes into unrealistically unaffected hard-asses is a bad mistake too often made by uninspired writers. And I understand that in a way she is almost the most Everyman of all the Everyman characters in the story, in that she is the means by which the audience accesses the world; the outsider being brought in to a Rebellion and a mission already in progress.

All of which is to say, I had no issues with Jyn, and she fit the role she needed to fit admirably, and I liked her very much as part of the ensemble. She just didn't jump out of it in any special way, for my taste. If I had to rank her on the list in order of favorite characters, she would be pretty much at the bottom - below Baze and K-2S0, but maybe just above Bodhi (not because Bodhi wasn't great, but because we learned very little about him so Jyn was more fleshed out). But I would still rank her way above any of the new characters in TFA, for my taste. (Except BB-8, because he is the only part of TFA that I unequivocally loved.)
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Knight and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight and Pilot // Zelek Arr, Jedi Master and Corn Grower
Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline Malkisho

• The Krais Enclave
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 12/26/16, 02:10:17 PM »
0 Show voters
Saw it twice barely any notes But also...plenty of rouge one stuff. General Sendula Referring to Hera and the Ghost was in the final Battle and Chopper was in the movie AHHH SO awesome!

ALso over the intercom at the end they called for Captain Sendula AKA. Hera

AH I am so excited Rouge one was so good destpite maybe the 3 things I didnt like. Tenticle things...WTF was that for..useless. Casian was just unlikable until the very end, and Saul Gerara under used...

HOLY SH!T! THAT IS THE GHOST! AND CHOPPER! NICE!
“If I am forced to use a sword in combat, I just swing it around like a baseball bat while screaming, at the top of my lungs: 'There can be only one!' Which, if done correctly, is surprisingly effective.” - Sterling Archer

Offline blingdenston

• Parts Donor
  • A tragic history that really resonates with idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01/07/17, 04:14:57 AM »
+3 Show voters
So, a grillion days later, I finally managed to see this movie.  Some brief thoughts:

• Really expected better from Michael Giacchino...finding out that he had a comically limited amount of time to put the score together explains a lot, but the early parts of score especially felt...off. Personally, I kept wanting something a bit more like Martin O'Donnell's Halo 1 work, or maybe even something Craig Safan-like.
  • The early structure of the movie feels...weird.  Considering the extremely curtailed introduction time for each and every central character, Jyn's intro feels the most...cut-up.  The limited amount of time we spend with Jyn on her own makes her arc feel flat, with her going from disaffected loner to champion of Hope without quite the build-up I think it deserves.
  • Vader shouldn't pun.  A friend of mine put it best...it felt like someone was really excited to write the legendary Darth Vader they'd grown up with, rather than just writing the character as he exists.
  • The thing I was most excited to see was Donnie Yen in a Star Wars movie, and he turned out to be one of my favorite parts.  I love Jedi and Force powers and knicknack artifact give a dog a bone, but the depiction here of the Force as a superstition and a faith, and the biggest miracle being a 20 meter walk untouched through a lightfight is one of the best, coolest manifestations of the core tenet of the Force (that there is a vital energy that connects all life, and has a positive intention that manifests itself through luck, happenstance, and a supernal calm for true believers) this series has ever done.
  • Also, he does Zen Archery with a laserbow.  That's fucking awesome.
  • What an ending!  I was terrified they were going to have them all escape on a, I dunno, reverse escape pod or something, but no.  Everyone goes out on the field of battle, and the last survivors have no way of knowing whether their struggles were for aught or naught...only faith that they made a difference.

Altogether...I'm kind of thinking I liked it better than The Force Awakens.  Like Jaade, I went into this not particularly excited...by the end, I was really digging it.  Despite the disappointing score, and then cluttered nature of the storytelling (due to the massive amount of characters needing introductions and the sprawling plot), by the end I was genuinely invested in the stakes of the story...which is amazing, since I've known how this story ends since I was a little kid.  That's an accomplishment to take pride in, and inspiration from.
Pehn Qardaak - Captain of the Rodomontade
Ran-del Qardaak - Big Time Space Hero
Lastagir - Hunter for hire, no plans to retire
Hyse Qardaak - Scholar and Warrior of Peace

Offline Semah

• The sand remembers where the river was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 01/07/17, 12:44:03 PM »
0 Show voters
Easy to forget that Vader's a Dad too, huh?

« Reply #74 on: 01/07/17, 03:46:46 PM »
0 Show voters
Thyssen has more to say on this subject here!