BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

July 2017
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jul 27: Jedi Night - 7:30 Server Time
Jul 28: Dancer's Palace - 9pm Server Time

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: The good of 2016  (Read 788 times)

Offline Seraphie

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
The good of 2016
« on: 12/30/16, 01:50:03 AM »
+5 Show voters
I know there's been a lot of sorrow, grief and fear to 2016. The world feels a lot different from this time a year ago, and we've lost a lot of really amazing people in that time. However, there was good in this year too, and I don't want the good forgotten behind the bad! So, I decided to share some of the good of 2016 for me, and it's all pretty amazing good!

- My youngest daughter had suffered a continuous (never went away) headache after a concussion. Almost exactly two years after the initial injury, in May 2016, the headache finally disappeared. She's only had one migraine since then too!

- I started rp'ing with @Sebrik and we decided to pair up Min and Seb. Through this past year, we have become very close real life friends as well, and this friendship has greatly enriched my life, even beyond all the awesome rp and game time we get together!

- My daughters and I got to visit @Kezie and his family again!

- My daughters and I got to visit @SivWysan in real life for the first time and had awesome lightsaber battles with him!

- I taught a middle years math class multiplication and division unit (for almost four months) as a Jedi Master. I've never tried roleplay in my teaching before, but it was such an amazing success that I'll be starting this year's roleplay after the Christmas break!

- My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and every surprise my brother and I planned for the celebration went perfectly!

I know there was more good stuff to 2016 than that, but I'll keep my list to that, unless I edit my post later.  :grin:

So, if you want to show that the good outweighs the bad, because good always triumphs over evil, go ahead and list your beauties from 2016!

Online Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
Re: The good of 2016
« Reply #1 on: 12/30/16, 02:07:19 AM »
+2 Show voters
- My youngest daughter had suffered a continuous (never went away) headache after a concussion. Almost exactly two years after the initial injury, in May 2016, the headache finally disappeared. She's only had one migraine since then too!

- I taught a middle years math class multiplication and division unit (for almost four months) as a Jedi Master. I've never tried roleplay in my teaching before, but it was such an amazing success that I'll be starting this year's roleplay after the Christmas break!
Thanks for posting this Seraphie. This is a great topic, and also, what you wrote about your daughter has made me feel really hopefuly. I got a head injury about a year ago, and I've suffered a lot of skill loss since then. (I can't visualize things in my head anymore really, and I lost my musical ear - which before was like breathing, it was so important and natural to me.) I've really struggled with it and it makes me feel a lot better hearing that your daughter's recovered from hers.

Also, that teaching idea is amazing, and I hope it goes well a second time too!!

I'll post my good things later, need some time to think up and list them.
: Pub-Side :

Bren-Akket: Jedi Archaeologist
Aybekk-Noth: Jedi Padawan
Seirion: Militiaman and Jedi Attache
Iirim Tal: Jedi By Day, Infobroker By Night
Zorru: Jedi Recruiter
Edar Varooth: Iridonian Politician

: Imp-Side :

Urziya: Mando 'Diplomat'
Zhekrazh: Sith Assassin
Athuuna: Imperial Agent
Majia Krallice: Pirate Princess

Offline Miller

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/30/16, 02:35:16 AM »
+1 Show voters
THE CUBS WON A WORLD SERIES

Offline Ryshias

• "...For the apocalypse must be televised..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/30/16, 05:06:13 PM »
+5 Show voters
Good a new job offer with great remuneration, awesome coworkers, a real purpose, and reliable connections for the future, as well as friends.

Got rid of personal demons, and achieved a new level of self control, awareness, and self respect that I lost a long time ago.

Got treatment for my PTSD, and worked!

And...

I'M BACK HERE.

"I decided to let shadows into my mind, and they revealed the ultimate truth. The galaxy is sick. I shall be it's cure."

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/30/16, 05:17:21 PM »
0 Show voters
Ryshias is back to talk smack.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)    Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Ismana Felina (20, Imperial Navy?)  Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling)  Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                   Philla Kasan (29, Captain, 51st Recon)

Offline Zmaj

• K'tah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/30/16, 07:43:45 PM »
+4 Show voters
- Finished a thesis
- Graduated after what felt like ages of university
- Made new friends
- Got a pinch better as a writer
- Became a better cook
- My mother is almost done with her master's program (while being a teacher and maintaining that GPA)
- Sibling is almost done with university (and made it onto the dean's list)
- (OH MY GOD I'M SO PROUD)

Zmaj: 32, Chiss agent, lover of intrigue wine
Caesiallus: 34, Twi'lek bartender, info-broker
Varinas: 40, Human Darth, archivist, former "diplomat"

Seem: 38, Rattataki Jedi Master, resident grump
Vashya'ati: 34, Togruta Jedi Sage, small-time archaeologist
Ash'tana: 32, Miraluka smuggler, trouble-finder extraordinaire

Offline Kremon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/31/16, 02:41:27 AM »
+4 Show voters

Well, I was able to have some pretty good experiences this year; starting off with a lovely trip back to the USA. (For those of you that don't know, I live abroad and rarely get to visit my home country.) While there, I took a huge road trip across the entire country from California on the West coast to North Carolina on the East coast. Got to see the whole country and all it's diversity with my family. (With a whole lot of nothing in between)

I was also able to travel not once, but twice to Thailand specifically to Bangkok. Very vibrant city, full of life. In more cases then one; sometimes the crush of people can be overwhelming. It actually inspires me to write about Nar Shaddaa or the lower levels of Coruscant. We'll see where that goes...

Lastly, after many years of continuous training under a fair but unforgiving Taekwondo master, I was able to achieve my 2nd Dan in the ITF which will hopefully help me get my eventual 'dream job'.
Exephos; a haunted war-ravaged veteran.
Shad'ra; an indecisive ex-mandalorian.
Gharzog; a happy-go-lucky gun for hire.

Offline Liquidis

• Totally not Liquid Snake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/31/16, 03:35:00 PM »
+1 Show voters
Rouge One.

Offline livia

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/01/17, 03:17:39 PM »
+4 Show voters
My 65 year old mother, after being dead set against it for my entire lifetime, has decided that she would like to try again to learn to drive. The reasons for her change of heart mostly suck, but I am super proud of her nonetheless.

I think I was able to spend more quality (and decidedly not-quality) time with my parents in 2016 than I have total in the last decade.

My dad survived 2016.

My sister-in-law finally was able to have surgery to correct a something that has been a life-long issue.

I learned that 'trigger-finger' is a real medical condition.

The fact the the wheels got stolen off of my car last spring meant that I have nice, new tires for all the driving that I have been doing lately.

Semah got a really great, if rather terrifying, opportunity at work.

We got to meet Esk.

My mother got me a really thoughtful birthday present that (finally) got me started creating again.

I have had occasion to realize how enormously blessed (and/or lucky, depending on one's views) I am with where I am in life that I have the opportunity be able to do the things that I have needed and will need to do, and not only is it nice to be able to do what I can, it's nice to know how lucky that makes me.

I have also been extremely lucky to have the love and support of my husband, friends, and family - including many of the folks here at bc.org through what has been a really difficult year.

Oh, and I saw SO MUCH SCENERY, OMG.

:aww:

Offline Sebrik

• I Peaked in Season 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/01/17, 06:54:04 PM »
+3 Show voters
As @Seraphie said, we paired our RP characters together this year.  The moment Seb began speaking to Min, Seraphie and I began speaking in game, and eventually out.  The friendship I've gained with her is without a doubt one of the strongest friendships I have ever had and I cannot imagine my life right now without her.  She has supported me through everything I've been through this year and all this was because my little pixels in a game began speaking to her little pixels.  :grin:

I 1v2ed two Operatives in the Odessen warzone.  When I killed one and began working on the other, the other had time to respawn and join back in the fight.  Both these Operatives continued to do so (die, respawn, fight, die) until after about 3 or 4 times of them respawning, I finally couldn't keep up and had to stealth away.

I closed a door in my life that I thought I was most definitely going to step through.  In its place, I decided to pursue further education and completely switch career choice.

I'm sure I'll come back to edit this but that's what I can think of at the moment.

Online Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/01/17, 07:35:36 PM »
+4 Show voters
Trying to think of good things in 2016 and there aren't many, but here's one: Got out of a really horrible living situation finally after 10 years of trying, made new friends in the process, and made up with an old friend I hadn't spoken to in years. I also got back in touch with a very old friend who'd dropped off the grid, found out they were okay, that was nice.

That and I reconnected with all of you!

Online Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01/09/17, 03:31:13 AM »
0 Show voters
Updating with two new good things: I was able to tune my guitar by ear the other day, and tonight was the first time since I started singing again that I could actually hear the notes in my head as I was singing them and feel them in space. (I've got a slight synesthesia thing with music/sound and spatial relations in space around me.) This is the first time I've been able to do either since hitting my head, and I'm feeling hopeful that I'll recover that ability!