BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

July 2018
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Jul 19: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jul 19: A Dread Mind
Jul 20: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST
Jul 26: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PDT
Jul 27: The Gal Gala Weekly Event 8pm PST

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Poll

In an effort to identify the size of our remaining role-play community, please answer the following Poll.

I login to the game servers daily, and I participate in any or all of PvE, PvP, and Role-Play.
6 (17.6%)
I login to the game servers a few times weekly, I participate in any or all of PvE, PvP, and Role-Play.
8 (23.5%)
I login to the game servers a few times monthly, I participate in any or all of PvE, PvP, and Role-Play.
7 (20.6%)
I only login to the game servers for scheduled Role-Play Events, and I rarely, if ever, participate in PvE and/or PvP gameplay.
11 (32.4%)
I only login to the game servers for PvE and/or PvP, and I rarely, if ever, participate in scheduled Role-Play Events.
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closes: 08/08/18, 04:00:33 PM

Author Topic: Roll Call - How active are you?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Cyone

• View Profile
Re: Roll Call - How active are you?
« Reply #15 on: 05/11/18, 06:28:50 PM »
+2 Show voters
I guess, in some fashion, I disagree with the fundamental consensus here, then.

A story does not have to be a saga. Sometimes it's just a chance meeting out in the vastness of space that lasts mere hours. Sometimes it's a funny thing that happened on the way to the hive of scum and villainy. This is a galaxy-sized backdrop in which Deus Ex Machina, "plotforce," story itself is literally manifested as an omnipresent guiding piece of the universe. Some of you may heard of it. It is creatively called, The Force. Storytellers are not Force-sensitives. They weren't born with a rare special gift that sets them apart, gives them an ability, a sense, or access to something other people cannot touch. If you want to touch it, all you gotta do is reach out. Star Wars, of all possible settings for RP, is arguably the most suited for it. You don't need a myth arc or even a reason, just a little bit of hope and maybe a couple hours.

To return this from the world of metaphor to the plainly stated, for those who may think I'm just comfortably sitting here waxing poetic: the next time you "crave a reason to log in," go find one. Reach out to one of the many people around who do this thing through one of the many channels for doing so (like this one here) and say "hey, I want to RP, do you?" Go down the list until you get a hit. Heck, just log in and look around. I'd wager you'd have to go no further than the poorly-advertised and thusly limited faction OOC channels. There's a reason everyone's wanting and nobody's finding, and it ain't for lack of demand.

At the end of the day, you still have to raise your hand and play a part. If all you're looking for is someone else's story to follow, then I kinda hate to say it, but you're in the wrong place. You're looking for a good book, or perhaps a film or television show. If you want to insert yourself in that story and simply go through the motions and occasionally make a decision, you're just looking for a new game to play. Not finding that in an RP community is not a reflection on the state of the community, it's a reflection on your expectations and mindset.

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05/11/18, 07:26:16 PM »
0 Show voters
Cyone.  Please stop.  None of what you're talking about is the purpose of this thread.

And what you're writing (on that particular off-topic subject) isn't helping those of us already feeling alienated and/or frustrated and/or alone.  In fact, its making it worse. 

I'm happy for you that its that easy for you to find RP with.  I realize you don't believe me, or I guess others here, but its not that easy anymore for some.

So please, if you want to continue to lecture us on what we're not doing or what we're not trying - please start your own thread. 

And that's the last I'll say of that.

« Last Edit: 05/11/18, 07:32:51 PM by Karmic »

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Cyone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05/11/18, 08:01:51 PM »
0 Show voters
Makes perfect sense to me that Jaade put the poll up not only to find out how many are left in our small community, but how many actual storytellers are left in the community.   

Because without storytellers you really don't have much of an RP community that RPs.  I've been a part of guilds and communities with no storyteller - its pretty dead.  RP revolves around *only* bar/cantina type RP and rarely is there a plot of any mention to be found.  It takes storytellers to give people plots and events to participate in, to color and fill the IC characters daily conversations when they go to those bar events and conversations just interacting with other Rpers.

So its quite important to know just how many storytellers are around in this community, and who they are.

And I agree with Sera's post 110%.  This place has changed in the last year or so and it hasn't been for the good.

There have been very few plots to participate in, over the last couple of years.  As a whole in the community.  There have been less community events Sith side in that time and less Sith RP *at all* to be had to the point that there's almost none and has been next to nothing for over a year.

I've logged in for any events I could participate in, however far apart they were.  But outside of that I've only logged in game for scheduled RP one-on-ones, and Dancer's Palace.  And I've taken a break from that as well these last couple of weeks.

I've craved more reasons to be able to login and see anyone around Sith Side to get RP going with of any substance.  But it doesn't appear and I can't make it happen myself.  I'd love to be able to. I WISH I could.  But writing plots doesn't come from wishin'.

So I'd love to see RP events and would love to jump in with both feet.  I really hope things pick up again and people get more open with what they are doing.

But the serious lack of any RP activity to participate in and lack of plots to talk about - along with, as Sera stated, "become so frustrated and dismayed with some of the behaviour I've witnessed directly and indirectly in the community, how people are treating other people. lack of flexibility in rp, lack of proper, respectful communication" - has me questioning if the people left are people I can trust enough to RP with, anymore.

Again, like Sera stated, this isn't a pointing finger and blaming.  Its a response and explanation of my own head right now and why.

I hope it turns around.  I hope I continue to have reasons to login and find more RP to join in with.  Only time will tell that.

I was attempting to respond to the subject you brought up yourself, @Karmic, and @Elaeis responded to before me. If my particular input is unwelcome, however, I'll gladly take my leave of the conversation. This is pretty well exactly the reason I avoid the forums for the most part in the first place. If only certain voices and perspectives are welcome, at least do others the courtesy of not claiming otherwise so folks like me don't end up coming in and wasting our time and energy.
« Last Edit: 05/11/18, 08:13:31 PM by Cyone »

Offline Navigator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05/11/18, 08:10:36 PM »
0 Show voters
Alright, that's enough.

This particular branch of conversation has run its useful course and is now, as I decide it, at its end.

Let's get back to the purpose of this thread: "How active are you?"

Any further comments on posts preceding this one will be met with reprisal.

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05/11/18, 08:35:46 PM »
+1 Show voters
I'm on a couple nights a week, but only for RP (and to play new story to know what is going on in the galaxy). I wish I could be a direct creator of plots, but life is all over the place and this is where I go to relax. I do try to inspire, instigate, and generally support stuff though!
Jedi Master Telline - The Master of Shadows
Initiate Karia Zent - The Rising Hero
Aurena Durane - The Rogue Reporter

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05/12/18, 05:18:18 AM »
0 Show voters
I'm pretty much one of those people who logs into this game only periodically - especially when there's an advancement in the story (and brother, what an advancement Nathema ended up being) - but at the same time, I'm one of those guys who marvels at the fact that the game is still here at all. I've expressed this often enough, and if it sounds defeatist, sorry, but...I'm not going to be surprised when it's not. And no matter BioWare's apparent optimism, I think that will be soon.
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05/12/18, 09:46:53 PM »
+2 Show voters
So, speaking to Jaade's original post, which was a poll of Game Masters for their current status...

I will be in this game until they close the doors on me. And when that happens, if I've managed to stay involved in the significant storylines my primary characters have developed with other players up till that point, I'll see what I can do to move those stories into another medium so they can continue (while I mourn the loss of the PVE and PVP elements I do still genuinely enjoy and run with my PVE guild).

I will never not be a Game Master, in any medium in which I RP. That doesn't mean I'll always be game mastering, because often I just want to RP, but it does mean I will always be considering the next story to run, and that I'll always be open to inspiration for those stories and events. I've run lots of things here, both in game and in the chat room, both involved and more simplistic, and I intend to continue doing so. Even when I'm not running big open events I'm often running something small for the personal storylines and relationships my characters are involved in.

That being said, Life is a thing as we all know, and energy levels fluctuate. There will be stretches of time where I'm feeling more inspired and ready to GM, and stretches of time where I'm feeling less so. The last months have hit me hard in the Life department and I don't have as much fuel in the tank for GMing, but I still have plenty of ideas and a hope to run them in the future when the tank has an opportunity to refill.

I love GMing. But here's the thing. Game Mastering takes work. It takes time and effort, more than might be expected by some if they've never tried their hand at GMing. When I run an event I do my best to put detail and TLC into it. When players participate and have a good time, I feel rewarded, and I'm inspired to do more. As with anything in life, you feel more energized when you feel appreciated.

But it's also just as important that you're trying to run events and tell stories that you're genuinely interested in. I will probably never, for example, run a Mandalorian themed event, because I am just not that interested in Mandalorians. I probably won't run many Sith themed events either, because while I might enjoy occasionally RPing Sith, I'm not really moved to craft those dysfunctionally dark sagas. Will I do more scum and villainy? You bet, because I enjoy those archetypes and adventures more. Will I do a lot of Jedi stuff? Oh absolutely, because Jedi stuff is my favorite.

At the end of the day Game Masters are fans too, with their own interests and passions, and while it's important as a GM to learn how to bend and tell stories across a broad spectrum, it's also true that this is a hobby, and as such voluntary, and even your Game Masters are going to gravitate toward running the types of stories they are personally most interested in.

Which is to say that the more Game Masters you have, the more variety of story offerings you're going to see. And if you're not seeing the offering you'd like, Gandhi advised that we be the change we want to see in the world, and at the end of the day that's just the truth.

So, as a Game Master, how active am I? At this particular moment, not very, but that is almost certain to change as Life runs its course. (The pendulum swings, the wheel turns, etc etc.) Life interferes with just RPing often too, but it's a little easier to balance RP with Life than to balance GMing with Life, so I figure the best thing I can do is continue to RP whenever possible - both for my own happiness and also to keep contributing to the overall scene, because a Game Master needs players as much as players need a Game Master, and more players will engage if they can participate in a thriving world.

Our community is small, it's true. But we get pretty regular participation at least on the Jedi side of things. And more importantly, we're not the only RPers out there, as tonight's party on Dromund Kaas showed. There's always the potential for something new, so long as we leave the door open for it.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Padawan and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight // Zelek Arr, Corn Grower
Sivala, Sith Academy Overseer // Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline blingdenston

• Parts Donor
  • A tragic history that really resonates with idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05/14/18, 11:54:46 PM »
0 Show voters
EDITED: Mispost! Ignore this!
Pehn Qardaak - Captain of the Rodomontade
Ran-del Qardaak - Big Time Space Hero
Lastagir - Hunter for hire, no plans to retire
Hyse Qardaak - Scholar and Warrior of Peace

Offline Hawking

• Deep Quote
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05/15/18, 01:13:52 AM »
0 Show voters
EDITED: Mispost! Ignore this!

logged.

noted.

inscribed in history.

etched into copper and placed on high that all the town may behold it and maketh mirth.

Characters:

-Hawking Shatari, Master of Myserty
-Aspasia Maguire, Smack Talker
-Rieko "Boogie" Black, Agent of the Empire

« Reply #24 on: 05/15/18, 10:41:08 AM »
0 Show voters
None of the options really account for my situation, unfortunately. So I'll just say that I'm not dead yet! :umm:

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05/15/18, 10:43:37 AM »
0 Show voters
None of the options really account for my situation, unfortunately.

@ThyssenKrupp, can you clarify your current play style and how active you are? Everyone discussing their personal schedules or challenges helps us spur new Events or storylines when we all reconnect.
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Biavi

• welcome to altaholics anonymous. i'm your host.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05/15/18, 11:29:29 AM »
+1 Show voters
I realize I'm kind of new to this particular forum (long time lurker, barely posts), but I've been struggling to attend RP events, much less host them, given my life and the way it's headed (I'm a college student and I will be graduating in about a year and a half) and also RPing takes a lot out of me (given that I barely have any energy to begin with, I think you can see where I'm going with this).

I do enjoy PvE and a little bit of PvP though, as it's just number crunching and muscle memory, which for me is very mindless and thus preferable  to having to really think.

I don't mean any offense by this statement, I just am very tired all the time and thus don't really RP much.

EDIT: hopefully this summer will provide a greater spectrum of time/energy during which I will be available.
icon art by snuffysbox on tumblr

Impside:
Biavi: jerkface, bounty hunter
Ileyn/Lord Osso: paranoid tech nerd Sith
Pubside:
Niwava: older padawan; fun past
Omyara: smuggler; jokester

« Reply #27 on: 05/15/18, 12:54:36 PM »
0 Show voters
@ThyssenKrupp, can you clarify your current play style and how active you are? Everyone discussing their personal schedules or challenges helps us spur new Events or storylines when we all reconnect.

As of this past March I haven't been in-game for over a year. My life has rendered me unable to access the computer that has TOR on it, so I haven't been able to really do much of anything with my characters beyond a few pocket RPs here and there. Presently, Thyssen is currently in quasi-retirement with his wife and daughter on Coruscant. He still holds rank within the Krayt's Jaw Cartel, however, and will step in on a regular basis to oversee projects or handle certain situations personally.

Offline SivWysan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05/19/18, 08:12:36 PM »
0 Show voters
I've also been taxed with a combination of real life (including more night shifts) and a bit of SWTOR specific and Star Wars general burnout/need for a break.  Been enjoying some other games and things to whet my creative juices.  I'd like to get more involved a bit over the summer, but have put a pause on some GMing til I really feel I have something to offer creatively in this setting, don't want to get burned out and leave folks hanging.  (Like to do more on Mando stuff, but not really sure when, appreciate folks with interest earlier). 

I plan to play through most new story content in game too, but well past finding grinding interesting.  Mostly here for RP at this point, not planning to vanish but am taking some space.  Appreciate knowing things here to feel more able to join. 

Offline Ash

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05/24/18, 06:57:18 PM »
0 Show voters
Work has mostly, for me, prevented me from being more active in game...or on the site >.> Also doesn't help I've been having computer problems lately too. I also do manage to hop onto fridays for DP, though, even if I'm usually late! I still very much enjoy having my toons meet people, be their crazy/weird selfs, but it's hard to play the actual game. I'm still very much interested trying to spread out and do some more stories lines ingame and whatnot. Maybe even host an event when the expansion finally lands and we know where this game is going. Definitely not abandoning the game, that's for sure. My biggest concern these days is really just time...stupid night shift.
« Last Edit: 05/24/18, 07:05:39 PM by Ash »
Pub side characters: Ash'ette, Shaan Lix

Imp side characters: Shaan-Lix, Jannet, Priestess Mava