BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

Shoutbox

Voice Chat

Site specific user guide.

For those with Discord client: https://discord.gg/ymKqsvC

Author Topic: recoveringgeek's Event plots and thoughts.  (Read 1442 times)

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
recoveringgeek's Event plots and thoughts.
« on: 10/27/18, 04:02:10 PM »
+1 Show voters
Participation in this thread is encouraged, please keep replies on topic.

So right now Saturday November 17 is edging out in the poll, however voting remains open, so please continue to remind players to vote if they haven't already. Invite back those naysayers who say they've moved on to other games. One night back with old friends would be welcome.

That said, we've got 14 players who've voted, which is both appreciated, and a wonder at how low our returning site visitors have dwindled.

Open-world, cross-faction is also currently the preference, only just behind a Republic-only Event. However only 8 players have voted for Event preference, so apparently the Poll choices were not inviting enough to another 6 or so players?

Republic-only opens up a lot of Faction-locked areas for an adventure, however I want to give anyone a chance to play their favourite Imperial if that's most important to them.

I posted before I'm leaning towards an update 5.10 Prelude. Obviously there are some story spoilers online if you go seeking them out, however I'm more interested in the decay of the "Alliance" as the two major Galactic powers ramp up their military engines once again.

What actually interests me though is us, our characters. Most of us that remain know each other from one galaxy-ending Event or another. We've fought against each other and side-by-side, as needs dictated. Unless a player is bringing in a wet behind the ears Rookie, our characters represent the last of the veterans of the Galaxy. (I like to tie the dwindling player base to our old allies and friends drifting away or becoming lost in the chaos of the never-ending wars.)

However I want to invite anyone who is keen to attend to add their story-related thoughts or plot hooks to the discussion. I don't just want to dictate my version of the story, but incorporate elements from everyone else's personal stories that impact your character.

I'm pretty good at taking even a rough idea and running with it.  :rush:
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline blingdenston

• Parts Donor
  • A tragic history that really resonates with idiots
    • View Profile
Re: recoveringgeek's Event plots and thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: 10/28/18, 12:11:30 AM »
+1 Show voters
Yeesh, I dunno...the only character I have who really (in-character) remained involved in galactic stuff was Ran-del, and he barely even got to sniff Alliance RP. All the others are some manner of independent or mercenary, so it's not such a great hook for them.

I should mention that (between SmugCo and the Custodum back when I was more active in the game), we did several Ossus storylines...hell, for awhile, I tried to establish that the Custodum's secret base was in the Adega System. Since we're apparently moving to it, maybe a prelude dealing with the Republic/Imperial military fighting over Stronghold Adega (see http://begerencolony.org/index.php?topic=4304.msg48234#msg48234 for more info)?
Pehn Qardaak - Captain of the Rodomontade
Ran-del Qardaak - Big Time Space Hero
Lastagir - Hunter for hire, no plans to retire
Hyse Qardaak - Scholar and Warrior of Peace

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/28/18, 12:52:01 PM »
0 Show voters
Since we're apparently moving to it, maybe a prelude dealing with the Republic/Imperial military fighting over Stronghold Adega (see http://begerencolony.org/index.php?topic=4304.msg48234#msg48234 for more info)?

I'm guessing that's a thread in the Jedi Custodum Guild forum?

I don't have access to it. Do I need to request Guild Membership so I can read it?
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Biavi

• welcome to altaholics anonymous. i'm your host.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/28/18, 05:03:37 PM »
+1 Show voters
However only 8 players have voted for Event preference, so apparently the Poll choices were not inviting enough to another 6 or so players?

Thank you for pointing out the second poll! I have now corrected my lack of an answer.

That said, I really appreciate that you're offering to host this, and I'll do my best to make it to whatever you have planned. (Though which character I end up taking to the event may depend upon what is decided)
icon art by snuffysbox on tumblr

Impside:
Biavi: jerkface, bounty hunter
Ileyn/Lord Osso: paranoid tech nerd Sith
Pubside:
Niwava: older padawan; fun past
Omyara: smuggler; jokester

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/28/18, 05:18:45 PM »
0 Show voters
All the others are some manner of independent or mercenary, so it's not such a great hook for them.

To clarify, I fully intend for this to be open for independents and mercenaries. When I say I am interested in the build up of military strength again, that definitely affects Smugglers and Spacers having to navigate new (old?) boundaries and space lanes. Mercenary or Bounty Hunter contracts could be picked up or dropped at the snap of a finger. Never mind if you signed on with the Alliance and suddenly find their power and influence waning?

The Event may be dealing with the ramifications of changing military actions in the Galaxy, however it is not only for military-minded characters. Galactic War, or even cold war, affects everyone. That's what I'm hoping to explore...

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/28/18, 05:29:02 PM »
+1 Show voters
Although the 17th and the 18th are literally the only two days I absolutely for certain can't make an event, I'm happy to throw some ideas into the pot for percolation, because there's always the option for lead-up and post-game RP around any big event.

I should mention that (between SmugCo and the Custodum back when I was more active in the game), we did several Ossus storylines...hell, for awhile, I tried to establish that the Custodum's secret base was in the Adega System. Since we're apparently moving to it, maybe a prelude dealing with the Republic/Imperial military fighting over Stronghold Adega (see http://begerencolony.org/index.php?topic=4304.msg48234#msg48234 for more info)?

This might not be a bad idea, since I think we do have more Republic-aligned characters around still than Imperial ones, and also because coincidentally I believe @Dassalya was planning a future Jedi Night to revolve around a mission to Adega. (Although that being said, I believe she might not be available to run that event until after 'Geek's event goes off, depending on timing, so this tie-in may not be relevant.)

Another option, perhaps, if still looking to do it around the upcoming renewal of Republic/Empire conflict, could be a plot hook about a suspected listening outpost or forward operations station tucked secretly just the other side of the border (which side depending on which power has established the outpost). The other faction could be there to determine whether or not the rumor is true and there really is a base, while the faction operating the base could be there to defend it. Or, if going for less outright cross-faction conflict, it could be a rogue war-hungry element within one of the two governments setting up the base and both governments want to confirm its existence. Some adventure vaguely along these lines could allow for different factions to have different objectives, or to be forced to have the "same" objective while still keeping tensions high.

Or, in a different vein, perhaps some diplomats from either (or both) faction(s) have, sensing the storm clouds building, set up a peace summit with still receptive (even if only to a limited degree) counterparts on the other side. The setting can be ostensibly a diplomats' one, but with tensions building both sides are probably bringing some muscle and spies along. And maybe some independents are trying to sneak in to gather valuable intel for selling to interested black market parties later.

Whatever event 'Geek ends up building, if there's viable ways to build connected events around it (such as either of the two plot hooks I suggest or absolutely anything else) I could volunteer to run such connected events (especially as it seems I might not be able to attend 'Geek's event on the 17th). I still have a totally separate event series in the works that I tried to kick off with the last Port of Call but things got away from me a bit; I'm trying to rein them back in and get moving again, but in the meantime I'm happy to put some fuel into the fire in other areas such as this.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Padawan and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight // Zelek Arr, Corn Grower
Sivala, Sith Academy Overseer // Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline blingdenston

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/28/18, 05:38:31 PM »
+1 Show voters
D'oh! Didn't know you weren't part of the Custodum's on-site ranks anymore. Dassalya handles the GuildNet, so I'll just PM you the relevant information, lickety-split!

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/28/18, 06:37:25 PM »
0 Show voters
so I'll just PM you the relevant information, lickety-split!

You're a Prince and a Scholar. Or in Pehn's case, a Rogue and a Shifty Bastard.

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/28/18, 06:42:35 PM »
0 Show voters
Although the 17th and the 18th are literally the only two days I absolutely for certain can't make an event,

:sigh:

Or, in a different vein, perhaps some diplomats from either (or both) faction(s) have, sensing the storm clouds building, set up a peace summit with still receptive (even if only to a limited degree) counterparts on the other side. The setting can be ostensibly a diplomats' one, but with tensions building both sides are probably bringing some muscle and spies along. And maybe some independents are trying to sneak in to gather valuable intel for selling to interested black market parties later.

:think:  :write:

(especially as it seems I might not be able to attend 'Geek's event on the 17th)

Just... try?  :cry:

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/28/18, 06:52:01 PM »
+1 Show voters
(especially as it seems I might not be able to attend 'Geek's event on the 17th)

Just... try?  :cry:

I'm afraid the 17th and 18th are hard impossibles for me (the "might" being more to do with whether or not the 17th ends up being the chosen date). I'll be in the middle of a five day road trip at that time and nowhere near a computer for RP. But there are always lead-up and post-game RP possibilities, as mentioned, so I'll do what I can to generate or participate in content around the event even if I can't make the actual event.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Padawan and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight // Zelek Arr, Corn Grower
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/28/18, 07:10:37 PM »
0 Show voters
I'm afraid the 17th and 18th are hard impossibles for me (the "might" being more to do with whether or not the 17th ends up being the chosen date).

The irony being if I bump it to the 24th, you can make it however someone else can't...

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10/28/18, 08:39:46 PM »
+1 Show voters
The irony being if I bump it to the 24th, you can make it however someone else can't...

Yep, them's the usual scheduling woes! Being familiar with those woes as a GM, I understand how it goes. Gotta go with the dates that work best for the most folks, and just hope everyone who pipes up having said a date will work for them will actually show up on the date they specified.

But like I said, if there's any RP to be generated as book-ends to the event, I'll be sure to participate where I can!

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/06/18, 11:36:12 AM »
0 Show voters
There are multiple posts in the Rumour Mill now as feeder for various Factions. I will post an Event thread soon for sign ups and to formalize who is attending.

Does anyone have a good, better, best window for a start time?

• 4:00PM P.S.T. / 7:00PM E.S.T.
  • 5:00PM P.S.T. / 8:00PM E.S.T.
  • 6:00PM P.S.T. / 9:00PM E.S.T.

« Reply #13 on: 11/07/18, 09:46:15 PM »
+1 Show voters
I can work with all six of those time slots. Provided i don't end up sleeping all day for some reason. Though i'd prefer 9 PM EST, personally.

Offline blingdenston

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11/08/18, 12:00:14 AM »
+1 Show voters
Those are all good for me! I'd rank 'em best/better/good in the order they're posted, 'cause I figure the earlier we start the more we'll get to do!