BC.org relies on donations to provide an environment for players of the Begeren Colony SWTOR Server. For those who wish to contribute in any capacity, a module is available to display what the site uses:

Calendar

April 2019
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Events
Apr 25: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PST
May 2: Jedi Night - 7:30 PM PST

Shoutbox

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Jedi Under Siege  (Read 691 times)

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
[SPOILERS] Jedi Under Siege
« on: 12/17/18, 10:33:27 PM »
0 Show voters
It might behoove us to revisit these questions after Jedi Under Siege drops, though, in case that gives us plot elements that start to even out the faction power imbalance again.

I've completed the main story Republic-side adventure only, it was definitely shorter than I expected, and I have not run all the Dailies/Weeklies which may include some additional details.

There are some beautiful sets, definitely worth considering for an Event(s) if anyone has an itch to scratch?

I get the general gist of the Imperial-side adventure, however for those who have completed one or both Factions, should we discuss the new State of the Galaxy?

I'm ignoring the "Commander" and the "Alliance" for now.

Am I right to assume that with the Republic ending, they maintain a token presence on Ossus, continue to defend the Jedi Library, and fight off Sith Empire assaults on an ongoing basis? That makes for a nice Hot War setting, and the dueling Jedi/Sith on the various maps make for some nifty in-game role-play sites.

Am I right to assume, that with the Imperial ending, they drive off the surviving Jedi, who escape with the help of the Republic (and Story!Smugglers), and capture Master Gnost-Dural and seize the Jedi Library? The escape of the survivors makes for some rolling conflict when and where we would choose to role-play it. This ending would basically make Ossus an Imperial-blockaded world now.

Some of the colonists and Jedi relocate to set up farms on Tanaab? Tau's comment that she doesn't speak for the Jedi when volunteering to help the Republic fight the Sith Empire leaves open the possibility that the Jedi and the Republic are not formally aligned... yet?

What did I miss?
I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Ela

• Little ball of happy.
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Jedi Under Siege
« Reply #1 on: 12/18/18, 05:02:33 AM »
+1 Show voters
Have to completely agree with your feelings about the story: it was short, but I think we're all so used to dialogue + flashpoint that it's bit of a hard comparison. I think, for the time involved, the actual meat and substance of the story was longer than any of Nathema, Iokath or Copero.

But! It definitely dialed up the volume on RP, with the renewed war. Ossus was almost like a "mini-Sacking" - the Empire seized the initiative and attacked first, which left the Republic scrambling to defend.

But holy it sure did introduce a number of our favourite cats all over again...I've played through both Republic and Impsie side, and can fill in some of the gaps in terms of story groups and characters:

Confirmed Alive No Matter the Player Choices:
  • Darth Malgus
  • Tau

Could Either be Dead or Alive, alive and with their faction, or captured by the opposite faction:
  • Darth Malora
  • Master Gnost-Dural

State of Ossus Post-Story:
  • You are correct - the Republic evacuated almost all of the Jedi and civilians, but left behind a small force to guard the ruins and library. The evacuation was necessary because, since Ossus is so close to Imperial space coupled with the lack of resources available for all-out war, there was no way the Republic would have any hope of winning.
  • For the Imperials, the bombing attack on their temporary base destroyed a significant part of their infrastructure, meaning they also couldn't properly support a sustained military operation on the planet. Given that the target of their attack - the Jedi - escaped, there was little reason for them to remain in force.

The Jedi
  • Since the Ossus Jedi weren't a completely organized group - more like refugees in hiding - they were free to go wherever they chose after the evacuation. It's not explicitly stated, but heavily hinted, that a majority joined General Daerunn aboard his starship, bound for the Core Worlds to rejoin the Republic. Tau was part of this group.
  • Master Gnost-Dural mentions that only two other organized Jedi factions survived the war with Zakuul: the Green Jedi on Corellia, and a "small group" that remained on Tython.

The Significance of Ossus
  • Aside from the history of the Jedi and Sith, Ossus was significant for one big reason - the farming methods developed by the colonists, essentially growing crops in the most hostile of places, is super huge because deploying those methods across the Galaxy will help to ease the food crisis that still remains after the Zakuul war.

I think that's it...the dailies don't really add much to the lore, as they're mostly repeating the missions you did in the course of the story.
@>~~~ SONG SQUADRON ~~~<@

| Alexandra ~ 70 Sage | Meagan ~ 70 Sharpshooter | Medley ~ 70 Sentinel | Sariyah ~ 70 Shadow | Evany ~ 70 Vanguard |

&>~~~ (UNGUILDED) IMPERIALS ~~~<&

| Inivera ~ 70 Marauder | Aubrey Anna ~ 70 Operative | Julan ~ 70 Bounty Hunter | Maladous ~ 70 Sorcerer |

Offline recoveringgeek

• Aged Scoundrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/18/18, 12:57:40 PM »
0 Show voters
Thank you @Ela.

I suppose my shorter question is, even if our community isn't returning to consistently weekly role-play, has this Expansion sparked anyone's desire for some new bite-size Events?

Is it interesting enough?

I knew some of the Palace history, but not the bit about Jaade crashing that barge. That's good lore, right there.  :grin:

Offline Niarra

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/18/18, 02:04:04 PM »
+1 Show voters
Great summary of the plot points, Ela!

I've played Ossus through about three times on each faction and I think there are a few points at which there's more specific nuance. Here's what I've filed away from my playthroughs:

Could Either be Dead or Alive, alive and with their faction, or captured by the opposite faction:
  • Darth Malora
  • Master Gnost-Dural

My understanding was that there's no way Malora actually stays with the Empire. She might be captured by the Republic, but the other alternatives are either that she leaves the Empire and breaks out on her own to pursue her research (at least this is what she says she's considering), or she is invited to join the Alliance and work with the Outlander (and Oggurobb). Maybe I just haven't pursued the right dialogue options to confirm that she absolutely will return to the Empire? I just know that on all of my playthroughs so far, she implies that she won't when asked if she plans to return.

The Jedi
  • Since the Ossus Jedi weren't a completely organized group - more like refugees in hiding - they were free to go wherever they chose after the evacuation. It's not explicitly stated, but heavily hinted, that a majority joined General Daerunn aboard his starship, bound for the Core Worlds to rejoin the Republic. Tau was part of this group.
  • Master Gnost-Dural mentions that only two other organized Jedi factions survived the war with Zakuul: the Green Jedi on Corellia, and a "small group" that remained on Tython.

My understanding on the first point comes from dialogue options that the Jedi Consular got combined with character dialogue, which is that Gnost-Dural and his Jedi are explicitly invited to essentially come back to the Republic (my brain is telling me to Coruscant, but I'll have to play it again to verify because that may just be the urgings of my head canon) and the suggestion seems to be that they might very well do so. That's separate from Tau and the Jedi who choose to go with Daerunn in what is implied to be a more military capacity. I seem to have it in my head that Gnost-Dural agrees it might be time to go back... but yeah... that may be just my knowing how much Niarra-the-Character would pull hard for Gnost-Dural to be the new Grand Master.  :grin: The civilian colonists on the other hand were definitely going to Taanab, yeah.

On the second point as to other organized Jedi factions, Tau specifically cites three. The Green Jedi on Corellia, whom she and Gnost-Dural believed would never be convinced to leave Corellia, a group on Tython, and also a group on Ilum (I found this latter particularly interesting). Naturally as RPers we've established our own very organized and significant groups of Jedi elsewhere too, but at least now we can add these very official ones to the list. 

I have more thoughts on how this impacts a "canon" galactic state and I'll talk about those later in that separate forum thread, because unfortunately Ossus absolutely didn't bring things in line, it just further deepened the schismed state of Schrodinger's Galaxy.  :sigh:

As for inspiration for RP, I can certainly say that Ossus inspired a bucket-load of thoughts for me at least regarding Jedi RP specifically. I think it's also uniquely great for small group RP events since almost all of the instanced story areas are re-accessible as repurposed daily Heroic missions.
Niarra Reymark, Jedi Master and Diplomat // Derrad Reymark, Starfighter Ace and Softie // Jheva, Jedi Knight and Pattern Reader // Yatei, Jedi Knight and Pilot // Zelek Arr, Jedi Master and Corn Grower
Rannayel, Sith Lord and Museum Curator
Erran Veshkgalaar, Mandalorian Accountant // Caustrin Neyvor, Dangerous Puppeteer // Ariza Fey, Psycho and Pyro // Kettur Vaen, Semi-Spook

Offline Dassalya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/19/18, 06:32:51 PM »
+1 Show voters
I haven't come across anything to further confirm or edit what has already been said, but I can say that I would love to run a follow up event at an upcoming Jedi Night. Unfortunately, due to the impending holidays, I won't be able to make it this Thursday (like I was hoping), but I'd like to run it sooner rather than later to capitalize on any sparked interests. (And, in case it needs to be clarified, my interest has certainly been piqued by this update and I'd be down for additional events.)
Republic: Brinla Ruun|Dassalya Nasadee|Mihzarwi Taan|Nulaa Ulair|Tamminick Nasadee|Doz Jalth
Imperial: Adeliey Innesaud|Sadhara Zinn|Vedriat Azaera

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/20/18, 10:50:15 PM »
0 Show voters
So, one bit... I'm wondering if it's possible for Gnost-Dural to be dead right now. Here's the three possible cases for him as I see it:

If you're Imperial and take the LS Option: Gnost-Dural is taken as a prisoner by the Empire.

If you're Imperial and take the DS Option: Gnost-Dural is struck down by Malgus.

If you're Republic: Gnost-Dural barely survives being struck down by Malgus.

Follow me? What if Malgus didn't actually kill off Dural? Same as he didn't try to kill Malora, just threw her aside? And Gnost-Dural is still determinant because he's captured by the Empire, but that's an easy thing to recify in-story.

The presence of Malgus is what's honestly fascinating here, because his presence makes no sense in such an interesting way. Acina and Vowrawn are smart, sharp, sensible Sith. There is no possible reason they would trust Malgus an inch, no matter what he says, because of his betrayal at Ilum. He's clearly being forced to follow their instructions, but how much control do they have, how much does he have?

I'm not thrilled to be back to a faction vs faction storyline, they seldom work, but I'll admit, things are looking pretty interesting so far...
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/21/18, 07:14:05 PM »
0 Show voters
To be honest, I feel like I missed something, but that's because Imazi allied with the empire after they came to Odessen's rescue. Maybe this will be discussed in Niarra's how this impacts a "canon" galactic state discussion, but...

My first "irked" moment actually starts in the first scene. Like what happened to that whole we are already allied with Acina thing? Schrodinger's Galaxy dictates that Malcolm died for Imazi so what happened to Acina? Did I miss something? But ok, meta chose the republic because there is no way Imazi is helping Sith raid Jedi anything.

We get there and we have to save the Jedi, that's nice... Oh look, Master Gnost Dural. I like him. Hey look, Nadia isn't useless these days. Yay. Wow, Doc isn't slimy... Didn't know it was possible. Next irked moment, why aren't some of the cutscenes moving us to camps or at least the speeders? Some of that Ossus stuff was launched like a chapter. Those things moved us around.

Remember when you'd walk off in one of Valkorian's visions and then it ends and your character was standing where custscene!player was standing? It broke my immersion a little to be at the Jedi camp with Gnost Dural then back in the place I started a cutscene at. At least, we could fast travel to cut down on the back and forth.

Ok, we win, the dust settles.... What happened to Tau considering a padawan? Where's my padawan? Do I have access to Doc now? At least we get some resolution on Tau considering herself a good enough Jedi to join back up with the republic. However, there is a lot of characterization that they are hopefully looking to build on later.

I admit, I haven't tried the dailies, but I kinda failed to connect with the story, again. That's going to make it hard to log in just to do some busy work.

But, I will say that I like the level of effort put into what story there was. Also, I like that I can get deco drops outside of heroics and that regular mob drops don't feel like I'm being cheated anymore. This isn't my cup of tea yet, but I'm gonna wait patiently. They are still trying to course correct after a lot of experiments with the game that went sideways. It will take time to get their balance back.

Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Online Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/22/18, 11:07:19 AM »
0 Show voters
I will give props to Bioware for finally implementing a small semblance of dynamic weather on Ossus. Every once in a while there will be an ion storm in the upper troposphere that shoots lightning and thunder. Kinda cool.

Offline LVT

• Ritot, Ritot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/23/18, 01:54:03 AM »
0 Show voters
Haven't played imp yet but for what it's worth, Malgus was the second biggest driving force both as an antagonist and a driving figure, and one of the most intelligent Sith to take the mantle. I still miss Marr, but Malgus was always compelling, even when he went rogue. Made you think; especially since the Sith warrior story was based off his cinematic. Feels kinda cheap they reduced him to "KEPHISSSSSSSS" level though.

Marr though. Malgus->SoR Marr was probably my most fondly remembered time of writing, both as extremely compelling bad guys, and an Empire that kinda sorta made sense to Imperials.

Hey, least I got my favorite comp romance option back, but unfortunately comp dialog doesn't seem to be that tightly integrated with missions anymore anyway.
Turari (29, Major, jr. grade CEDF)     Silivia Fenir (21, Freighter Captain)
Lashila Sellara (25, Grey Sith)         Harkasone Milan (29, Philanthropist)
Reill Farr(31, Silent Mandalorian)     Mystenin Felsa (26, 'Green' Jedi)
Touko Saizar(19, Turari's underling) Temple Guard #124(35, Pro Spook)
                                                    Freya Merril (?, ???)